squirrel83

CO, NW, DL To Start US-India Flights

Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:41 am

Continental plans to start the first nonstop flights between the USA and India.

Continental is planning the first-ever non-stop flight between the countries. Delta and Northwest are planning new connecting flights, and at least three India-based carriers are expected to add service.

Beginning on Oct. 31, Continental's non-stop will link Newark, N.J., and New Delhi. The flight will take about 13 hours, saving passengers at least three hours.

• In May, Delta launched service from New York John F. Kennedy to Chennai, via Paris. Delta also has direct flights between JFK to Mumbai (formerly Bombay), connecting in Europe.

• Northwest on Oct. 30 will launch a daily flight between Seattle and Bangalore, via Amsterdam. It already flies from Minneapolis to Mumbai, via Amsterdam.

• Air India, India's national airline, is considering expanding into cities such as San Francisco and Houston or Dallas. It now flies into New York, Newark, Chicago and Los Angeles. Private carriers Jet Airways and Air Sahara also are planning service.

Setting the stage: A U.S.-Indian agreement signed in April easing rules that hampered service. Now, airlines have "maximum flexibility to serve wherever they want, whenever they want and charge whatever prices they want," says Karan Bhatia at the U.S. Department of Transportation. Ailing U.S. carriers are banking on international expansion for profits. The airlines see big possibilities from the increase in high-end business travelers related to the outsourcing of service-sector jobs from the USA.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2005-06-20-air-india-usat_x.htm

[Edited 2005-06-21 18:43:22]
A346, 7E7, 747, 777, Sonic Cruiser

ckfred

RE: CO, NW, DL To Start US-India Flights

Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:42 am

Has AA looked into starting service to India?

ahlfors

Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:43 am

Well, India does seem to be the new big thing. Indian airlines stole the show at Paris with huge orders, and I really do hope the country develops fast enough to provide all that demand.

commavia

Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:47 am

Quoting Ckfred (Reply 1):

If they were going to (which I doubt they are), it would probably be routed ORD/JFK-BRU-BOM. However, I doubt we'll see this any time soon as AA is desperately short of 767 and 777 capacity right now and has no aircraft to spare. Besides, with the rush of capacity into India in the next 6-12 months (new flying by CO, DL, NW, BA, VS, and BD), average yields will likely drop on flights from India to the West at least a bit.

B747-437B

Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:20 am

Quoting Ckfred (Reply 1):

AA has applied for slots at both DEL and BOM to commence nonstop service from ORD in the W05 season. Of course, this does not mean that they will actually fly the route but it leaves the door open for them to do so if they choose to.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

OzarkD9S

Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:22 am

With all this SkyTeam action between US and India...does anyone think the next SkyTeam carrier will be from India?

Seems like a safe bet that AI or Jet may be asked to join.
Next up: STL-OAK-RNO-LAS-ICT-STL

slider

Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:30 am

Well, it's about time the Indian government unshackled airlines, reduced the tax burden and opened up the skies. Good to see this kind of growth and development.

I think an Indian carrier would be a good fit into Skyteam, if only for the obvious geographic and marketing gap that presently exists. I believe Jet Airways already codeshares with NW, but I don't know if that would give them an advantage or not as I don't know how integrated or close they are.

Nevertheless, that does offer good opportunity. The EWR-DEL service is going to be a monstrous challenge from a logistical, payload, flight ops standpoint. A whopper.

karan69

Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:37 am

Quoting B747-437B (Reply 4):
AA has applied for slots at both DEL and BOM to commence nonstop service from ORD in the W05 season

Does the 777-200ER has the capability to perform the route of ORD-BOM without any payload restrictions

schipholjfk

Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:51 am

Quoting Slider (Reply 6):
Nevertheless, that does offer good opportunity. The EWR-DEL service is going to be a monstrous challenge from a logistical, payload, flight ops standpoint. A whopper.

Why? Please explain further. Thanks!
The fun of flying... love it !!!

FriendlySkies

Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:52 am

Anyone else think UA might try to start that ORD-DEL service they had planned before 9/11?

MAH4546

Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:52 am

Don't be surprised to see American Airlines in India by the end of 2006. It is a priority for them. They may not have many spare aircraft lying around, but, just like Continental, they aren't going to let that stop them. Some clever aircraft scheduling can solve that.
a.

gigneil

Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:03 am

Quoting Karan69 (Reply 7):
Does the 777-200ER has the capability to perform the route of ORD-BOM without any payload restrictions

ORD-BOM is a stretch, especially with the mountains.

A United 772ER couldn't do it.

N

commavia

Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:13 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 10):
Don't be surprised to see American Airlines in India by the end of 2006. It is a priority for them. They may not have many spare aircraft lying around, but, just like Continental, they aren't going to let that stop them. Some clever aircraft scheduling can solve that.

While I'll believe it when I see it, it is interesting and exciting to hear that. MAH, what would the routing be? Would it indeed be ORD/JFK-BRU-BOM, or something else?

B742

Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:18 am

Hasn't there been talk about a new UA service to India (BOM I think)??

Good to see CO starting DEL, will they look at BOM in the future?

Man, CO really need some new birds!

Rob!

AEROFAN

Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:22 am

Yes - I find it amusing that a couple of years ago, most american carriers thought that flying within the continguous states, to london and one or two cities in south and central america was the be all end all of existence.
My, how times have changed!

MAH4546

Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:25 am

Quoting Commavia (Reply 12):

While I'll believe it when I see it, it is interesting and exciting to hear that. MAH, what would the routing be? Would it indeed be ORD/JFK-BRU-BOM, or something else?

I've been told it would be Brussels-Bombay or Brussels-Chennai, getting feed from the existing O'Hare and JFK flights and the proposed Miami flight.
a.

worldxplorer

Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:43 am

Gigneil,

What ever happened to the AI thoughts on DEN that you were talking about. I assume the agreement with UA (in which AI has the upperhand) is still effective?

WorldXplorer

(PS- I may have that wrong, maybe it was ConcordeBoy that was talking about that)

commavia

Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:45 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 15):
I've been told it would be Brussels-Bombay or Brussels-Chennai, getting feed from the existing O'Hare and JFK flights and the proposed Miami flight.

I can't imagine AA would fly to MAA over BOM or DEL. The latter two are so much bigger with so much more U.S. traffic.

MAH4546

Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:47 am

Quoting Commavia (Reply 17):
I can't imagine AA would fly to MAA over BOM or DEL. The latter two are so much bigger with so much more U.S. traffic.

Yields, less compietition, Madras' very wealthy population base, and the large market between Brussels and Madras (Sabena actually flew BRU-MAA in the 1990s, during which they didn't fly to any other Indian cities). Delta flies to Madras over Delhi.
a.

worldxplorer

Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:48 am

Quoting Commavia (Reply 17):

MAA may offer a higher yield due it being a niche market.

WorldXplorer

stirling

Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:04 am

For those of you keeping score at home:

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 18):
Delta flies to Madras over Delhi.

Madras=Chennai/Meenambakkam

Speaking of India...
What is the Government doing in regards to matching ATC capacity to demand?
All we hear about are aircraft orders, but nothing about infrastructure improvements.

I know this has been mentioned somewhere...but what route does Kingfisher intend to utilize the A380 on? (too lazy to look when I know one of you guys can spit it out in a coupla'seconds!)
Delete this User

karan69

Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:08 am

I think AA should go the other way and offer something on the basis like,

ORD-NRT-BOM
or
LAX-HKG-BOM

Both NRT and HKG are unserved with non-stop flights from BOM, and this would be a good alternative than the normal Europe routing.

As said above MAA could also be served instead of BOM on the same routings

sshank

Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:29 am

Yields, less compietition, Madras' very wealthy population base, and the large market between Brussels and Madras (Sabena actually flew BRU-MAA in the 1990s, during which they didn't fly to any other Indian cities). Delta flies to Madras over Delhi.

I have always wondered what ever made Sabena do such a thing - surely could not have been the O&D traffic between BRU-MAA? I flew ORD-BRU-MAA and back in the late 90s and found a good chunk of the traffic was ex-US. The flights were fairly full and I estimated the O&D about 20-30% of the folks. Ok, now that was by looking at the folks and making gross assumptions - keeping with the general trend of postings here  Smile

Does anyone have estimates for the above? While BOM and DEL are much bigger markets and I would suspect that O&D between BOM and LHR to be an order of magnitude greater than say between MAA and LHR, I am not sure such relationships hold for US traffic. I would reckon that traffic from US westcoast to MAA/BLR to comparable to BOM/DEL.

MAH4546

Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:33 am

Quoting Sshank (Reply 22):
surely could not have been the O&D traffic between BRU-MAA?

There is thanks to the diamond industry, or at least that is what I have been told.
a.

B747-437B

Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:49 am

Chennai has a diamond industry? Big grin
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

slider

Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:58 am

Quoting Schipholjfk (Reply 8):
Why? Please explain further. Thanks!

Well, range for starters. That's darn near close to the farthest practical route one could fly with a 777-200. EWR-DEL's range then also would likely require from an operational standpoint a block of seats to be withheld either for payload (bags/cargo, but most likely bags) or simply because of a weight restriction.

It's my understanding that the present EWR-HKG route can take up to a 2000 lb weight hit for every degree over (and I can't remember offhand what that magic figure is right now), so the weight issue is critical given full fuel.

Also, and there's no way to put this politely- Indians carry a lot of shit and those are going to be some massive and heavy bags, so calculations have to be adjusted for that even compared to a regular EWR-Europe flight.

And then there's the mountains. From a flight ops standpoint, routings, divert points, etc, etc, are all a very critical piece of plotting this route especially given the range and payload issues are enumerated above.

Then there's the station startup cost and effort, the fact it's the first US carrier to fly there and shaking out all the usual stuff with going to such a new place for the first time.

The factors going into opening DEL are far greater and more complex than opening any of these latest stations such as HAM, ARN, OSL, TXL, BRS, BFS...

Still, I'm looking forward to going there someday if I can!

airzim

Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:05 am

Quoting Slider (Reply 25):
Then there's the station startup cost and effort, the fact it's the first US carrier to fly there and shaking out all the usual stuff with going to such a new place for the first time.

Nope, United and Pan Am both flew to Delhi in the past.

B747-437B

Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:13 am

Quoting Airzim (Reply 26):

Add Delta and Northwest to that list.

gigneil

Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:16 am

Quoting WorldXplorer (Reply 16):
What ever happened to the AI thoughts on DEN that you were talking about. I assume the agreement with UA (in which AI has the upperhand) is still effective?

I remember the conversation, but it wasn't me.

N

shawnnyc

Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:34 am

I believe Sabena flew to MAA over BOM and DEL because its alliance partners (don't remember who) already flew to BOM and DEL but not MAA (their partners could not under old bilaterals). So it made sense for Sabena to serve the underserved MAA. Now that India has liberalized, there are not as many opportunities for airlines to exploit heavily underserved markets.

I would imagine AA would first serve either BOM or DEL from ORD. The flight would be nonstop (unless they just can't find the aircraft). US carriers go for the premium business traffic. With other airlines going nonstop, anyone wanting to play the premium space has to as well. AA is ideally suited for this given its corporate accounts. Actually given the huge NYC O&D market to India as well as AA's corporate accounts in the area, AA could even fly from JFK. BOM & DEL will be cities like HKG, PVG and NRT that business airlines will feel the need to serve from their major business hubs nonstop. One stops to India will be for tourists and smaller Indian cities.

DAL767400ER

Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:40 am

I would be surprised to see any other US airline trying to serve MAA for the time being. Loads to MAA are a disaster. Just look at the loads on B. Edelman's site, and you know what I mean (and don't forget that his site often shows more sold seats than actually are sold). And it's not like DL didn't offer very good fares. I sure would wish that the route will start to develop, but I honestly can't see it right now.

airzim

Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:51 am

B747-437B,

BTW, everytime I flew through DEL on JL, TG, and SQ we had manual check-in, that even included the old "sticker" method of seat assignment. Has that been updated to computer check-in and/or which ground handler would CO use. If you know?

Thanks

worldxplorer

Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:08 am

Quoting Gigneil (Reply 28):
I remember the conversation, but it wasn't me.

Sorry. That thread was deleted so I was going off of memory. Maybe the person who claims it will come forward.

Sean, do you know anything about AI's thoughts on DEN? Rumors, the reliability of unknown, that AI & UA have an agreement that makes DEN look very attractive to AI have floated around here a couple of times? Any details on this or is it pure fabrication?

WorldXplorer

blrBird

Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:13 am

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 30):
Loads to MAA are a disaster. Just look at the loads on B. Edelman's site

Could some one tell me which is this site and what is the URL  Smile
from star dust....

MAH4546

Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:22 pm

I would be surprised to see any other US airline trying to serve MAA for the time being. Loads to MAA are a disaster.

Unfortunate to hear, though I'd give it time. I think the flight will end up a strong performer.

Regardless, I do know for a fact that AA has been studying Chennai/Madras, along with Mumbai. I have heard nothing about Delhi. I am sure they are keeping an eye on how Delta has been doing. I think AA will end up playing it safe and going to Mumbai in the end.
a.

padcrasher

Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:26 pm

Where would AA have their stop in Europe on the way to India? Would LON even be allowed?

brons2

Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:38 pm

What aircraft are able to fly direct USA-India?

I assume that with the interference of the Himalayas and the Tibetan Plateau, it would be quads-only due to single engine altitude considerations on the twins?

Given that, how in the world would CO fly EWR-India?
Firings, if well done, are good for employee morale.

MAH4546

Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:42 pm

Quoting Padcrasher (Reply 35):
Where would AA have their stop in Europe on the way to India? Would LON even be allowed?

The rumours are suggesting it would be Brussels, where they would get additional feed from their successful relationship with SN Brussels. And they could definitley stop in London, though they don't have much interest in entering an already crowded London-India market (Air India, British Airways, Jet Airways, Virgin Atlantic, BMI, and, soon Sahara).

Quoting Brons2 (Reply 36):
What aircraft are able to fly direct USA-India?

It can be done by a handful of aircraft, including select models in the A340, 777, and 747 model.
a.

brons2

Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:56 pm

I thought the single engine altitude was too low on the 777 to allow operation over the Himalayas.
Firings, if well done, are good for employee morale.

commavia

Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:01 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 34):
I think AA will end up playing it safe and going to Mumbai in the end.

I agree. AA's management team isn't much for risk right now, and I think MAA is just not developed enough of a market yet to support two U.S. carriers. BOM has the O&D, onward connections in India, and tons of existing business with the U.S.

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 37):
And they could definitley stop in London

Are they allowed to? Do they have beyond-and-behind-LHR traffic rights to operate, say, LHR-BOM?

[Edited 2005-06-22 07:01:47]

klwright69

Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:01 pm

I don't see AI coming to DEN sooner than IAH, or DFW. I just don't see it. Here in DEN we have a hard enough time attracting other foreign carriers besides LH and BA. The city has tried luring JAL, KLM, and AF.

I think AA wouldn't do a NYC-India nonstop at this juncture. I think they would do a ORD-India nonstop provided the right equipment is available. I think with UA tottering and doddering, they might be more interested in Chicago. I think they have other interests at JFK than an India nonstop at this time. Just like people have talked about AA doing a ORD-HKG nonstop. I haven't heard anyone discuss a JFK-HKG nonstop. Not that a JFK-India nonstop would fail totally for AA, an ORD-India nonstop would just be BETTER

DAL767400ER

Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:37 pm

Quoting Blrbird (Reply 33):
Could some one tell me which is this site and what is the URL

http://www.benedelman.org/travel/dlseats/

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 34):
Unfortunate to hear, though I'd give it time. I think the flight will end up a strong performer.

I would certainly hope so, but currently it does not look so unfortunately. DeltaMIA told me about the loads, and they were worse than JFK-LYS, which tells alot. Plus, the traffic is somewhat one-way, with significantly more pax flying to than from MAA. It will probably all depend on the high season in India (October-February, the time when FRA-BOM will hopefully return), and if DL manages strong loads, the route will likely be kept. And if not, well, DL used to have plans to serve DEL, with or without AF on that route, so that might be an option if MAA doesn't work out.

slider

Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:45 pm

Quoting Airzim (Reply 26):

I should have specified at *present* time; certainly other carriers served it, thank you for the clarification.

worldxplorer

Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:04 pm

Quoting Klwright69 (Reply 40):
I don't see AI coming to DEN sooner than IAH, or DFW. I just don't see it. Here in DEN we have a hard enough time attracting other foreign carriers besides LH and BA. The city has tried luring JAL, KLM, and AF.

I would tend to agree with you. I am in DEN too and I know the long track record of failed attempts to lure foreign carriers to fly here. However, there have been two conversations on a.net that I can recall that said otherwise. IIRC the story was AI and UA signed an agreement or "mandate" (to use the term in the original post) that gave AI an opportunity to take advantage of UA to the extreme. I asked the original poster to expand with details, but prior to his reply the thread was deleted (I do not know why). I thought it was Gigneil, but I was wrong. Could be ConcordeBoy but he is M.I.A. So I was hoping that some of our Indian aviation counterparts might have details that could be shared, if for no other reason than understanding how AI can take advantage of UA.

WorldXplorer

HB-IWC

Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:18 pm

Sabena actually flew BRU-MAA in the 1990s, during which they didn't fly to any other Indian cities

Quoting Sshank (Reply 22):
I have always wondered what ever made Sabena do such a thing - surely could not have been the O&D traffic between BRU-MAA?

Sabena started operations between BRU and MAA as part of the then-Qualiflyer Group's strategy to better cover the Indian market. At the time, additional rights to India were still harder to get than seems to be the case right now, and Swissair, which was operating daily into DEL and BOM, couldn't get its hands on MAA rights. So Sabena was appointed to take care of the job, although I know for a fact that some people in the senior management would rather have seen a return to BOM.

The BRU-MAA route was never a money spinner for SN, though. A large chunk of the traffic was connecting through BRU to points in North America, and although the flight enjoyed high load factors the yields were often disastrous. In fact, one of the last 'rescue plans' called for the MAA route to be suspended (together with the JNB, NRT, EWR and IAD routes), but bankruptcy came before the plan would take effect.

AirScoot

Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:39 pm

I would be surprised to see any other US airline trying to serve MAA for the time being. Loads to MAA are a disaster. Just look at the loads on B. Edelman's site, and you know what I mean (and don't forget that his site often shows more sold seats than actually are sold).

I don't know that that would have an accurate picture. He's pulling seat maps rather than loads. Some of those seats are blocked for airport check-in hence it showing less seats available than are sold.. and some people are not seat assigned, yet may have purchased a ticket. Seat maps are probably among the least accurate ways to judge loads on a flight.

Does anyone have access to look at actual loads rather than supposition based on seat chart?

shawnnyc

Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:16 am

Quoting Klwright69 (Reply 40):
I think they have other interests at JFK than an India nonstop at this time. Just like people have talked about AA doing a ORD-HKG nonstop. I haven't heard anyone discuss a JFK-HKG nonstop. Not that a JFK-India nonstop would fail totally for AA, an ORD-India nonstop would just be BETTER

You are right ORD-India will come first. I mentioned JFK as a possibility for them given the strong O&D traffic between NYC and say BOM (both business and tourist). Btw I would imagine AA flies JFK-BOM before JFK-HKG as my understanding is that the traffic from NYC to India is much higher than to HKG.

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 41):
I would certainly hope so, but currently it does not look so unfortunately. DeltaMIA told me about the loads, and they were worse than JFK-LYS, which tells alot. Plus, the traffic is somewhat one-way, with significantly more pax flying to than from MAA. It will probably all depend on the high season in India (October-February, the time when FRA-BOM will hopefully return), and if DL manages strong loads, the route will likely be kept. And if not, well, DL used to have plans to serve DEL, with or without AF on that route, so that might be an option if MAA doesn't work out.

It will take time to establish the route. Right now the only ones traveling to India are families going back to India for summer vacation (So it should get full very soon, but traffic will be one way and then reverse in August). We'll know in winter if this route works.

COEWR787

Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:36 am

Quoting Brons2 (Reply 38):
I thought the single engine altitude was too low on the 777 to allow operation over the Himalayas.

The non-stop route from US East Coast to India does not go over the Himalayas. It crosses the Western (and lower end of) Hindu Kush, North of Kabul, and goes right over Kabul. In the area the traitional routing is roughly Tashkent - Termez - Kabul - Islamabad - Delhi. Many flights from India to the North e.g. to Moscow are already flown by various twins along this route.

BTW, the China Southern flight from Lhasa to Kathmandu is flown by a narrowbody twin, a 757, and it flies almost directly over Mount Everest, a spectacular experience on a clear day, as it was, the day I took that flight back in 1999.

chrisnh

Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:52 am

Are they nicknaming these flights the 'Tech-Support and Computer Programmer' Express?
 white 

klwright69

Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:43 am

And why is CO going to Delhi and not Mumbai? Why was this the choice?