newkai

"Air Puff" Security Machine Question

Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:48 am

Last month when flying out of JFK's Terminal One, I got to be one of the few lucky ones who were put in a line to experience some kind of new(er) security machine which shot air at me from a bunch of little jets like those they have at opticians.

I was wondering... Is this the new machine that's getting a lot of media attention that basically gives screeners a naked image of you (Backscatter X-ray)?

One of the air shot went into my right eye and it hurt for several hours afterwards.

starrion

RE: "Air Puff" Security Machine Question

Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:10 am

No.

The reason it puffs air at you to "sniff" you. It is a chemical trace machine looking for the scent of explosives.

An x-ray machine doesn't need to blow air at you.
Knowledge Replaces Fear

KBOS

Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:14 am

I believe that machine will detect residue from explosives to determine if you have had any recent contact with them.
I don't care if the sun don't shine, I do my drinkin in the evening time when I'm in Rhode Island

Bridogger6

Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:17 am

It sniffs you for explosive chemicals and even drugs. I usually go through that line as an employee when the employee only sign isn't being followed as it is always a shorter line.. and the air puffs don't hurt so I'm not sure what got into your eye. It's fun watching skirts blown up! lol jk

newkai

Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:29 am

Well one puff just happened to be right next to my eye. It seriously felt like the ones you get at the optician before an eye exam.

Thanks to everyone for the quick answering of my question!