teahan

Changing Times: Qatar Airways "a Blue-chip Order"

Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:44 am

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/busine...Show&searchdiff=6&searchpagefrom=1

One things struck me about this article:

"Airbus scored hits with blue-chip orders for its A350, the planned rival to Boeing's 787 Dreamliner, from aircraft leasing company GECAS and Qatar Airways."

An order from Qatar Airways now considered 'blue-chip'. A mere three years ago they were widely dismissed (first announcement of their A380 commitment).

A sign of the present times on one hand but also something worth remembering when considering the latest 'surprise' orders.
Goodbye SR-LX MD-11 / 6th of March 1991 to the 31st of October 2004

ikramerica

RE: Changing Times: Qatar Airways "a Blue-chip Order"

Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:49 am

Who says? Some AP reporter? Lease companies are blue-chip. Renewal orders from very large operators that aren't in bankruptcy are blue-chip.

Airlines with huge expansion plans are speculative, no matter who they are. If SQ were to "order" a new fleet 3 times the size of it's current fleet, it would not qualify as blue-chip in my book.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

teahan

Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:54 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 1):
Who says? Some AP reporter?

Does it matter. The point is how the perception of Qatar Airways seems to have changed in a few short years.
Goodbye SR-LX MD-11 / 6th of March 1991 to the 31st of October 2004

Udo

Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:56 am

Airlines with huge expansion plans are speculative, no matter who they are.

Well, there's a difference between young carriers in the Gulf and young carriers elsewhere...

If SQ were to "order" a new fleet 3 times the size of it's current fleet, it would not qualify as blue-chip in my book.

Not in your book.  Wink Btw, don't make QR smaller than they are (39 aircraft)...

Regards
Udo
Me & You & a Plane Named Blue...

worldxplorer

Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:22 am

While I do think that the image of Qatar has greatly improved over the last three years, I take this type of comment from an AP reporter with a grain of salt. The analysis and commentary of the mainstream press in regards to aviation has proven to be laughable in many cases.

WorldXplorer