joshdean

LGW-AMS On EZY: £10 Tax. BA: £45.50. Why?

Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:07 pm

I have just been on both the easyJet and BA website to compare prices on flying from Gatwick to Amsterdam, departing on 1st October and returning a week later on the 8th. BA comes up with a total price of £80.50 including £45.50 tax, whilst easyJet gives a total price of £40.98 including £10 tax.

So why the £35.50 difference in tax? BA's website states that there is £2.50 per sector charge for for insurance and security rates and a £6.00 per sector fuel surcharge, totalling £17 per European flight. That's still a difference of £18.50 even if these 'surcharges' are justified.

To make this even worse, BA has just announced that it will be increasing it's surcharges by around 50% as of 27th June.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4617977.stm

Surely BA have more buying power than the likes of easyJet and most other airlines, so why aren't we seeing these 'surcharges' from airlines such as easyJet?

skidmarks

RE: LGW-AMS On EZY: £10 Tax. BA: £45.50. Why?

Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:24 pm

Someone's got to pay for the BA Mainline staff bonus!

Andy  old  retiring
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

Joost

Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:57 pm

Well, easyJet is on certain routes not showing the real amount of airport tax. It's a kind of marketing/PR issue.

When flying out of AMS, easyJet mentions a EUR 7,50 airport tax for Schiphol. Transavia mentions 35,95 including 10 euro fuel & insurance surcharge.

I once mailed Transavia about it, why they charged more. They called me back within 2 or 3 days and told that (at the time their tax was 25 something euroes) the AMS charge was around 25 euro for every airline. Easyjet also paid 27 euros, but did not mention it, and calculated it in the fare price.

Later I read an interview with a Schiphol manager, who told the same thing.

By the way, can someone explain me why a fuel surcharge should be mentioned differently and not in the advertised price?? What will we get more? Captain and F/O surcharge? Lease term surcharge? Aren't fuel and insurance considered as the prime costs of every airline?

mhodgson

Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:59 pm

Ba fly to LHR, a more expensive airport which will cost a bit more than LTN or STN. BA also have a fuel surcharge included in the price, which pushes the fees up.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

richardw

Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:24 pm

BA has a frequent fly scheme and keeps charges high to lessen the benefit of miles.

geoffm

RE: LGW-AMS On EZY: �10 Tax. BA: �45.50. Why?

Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:37 pm

Call me cynical (and I fly easyJet whenever appropriate), but maybe the refund on the security charge means that easyJet "lose" less money by people not flying and demanding a security charge refund? The fare portion of the ticket isn't necessarily refundable, but the security fees should be. However, the administration fee for refunding the security charge happens to be the same...

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 3):
Ba fly to LHR, a more expensive airport which will cost a bit more than LTN or STN. BA also have a fuel surcharge included in the price, which pushes the fees up.

Joshdean is talking about Gatwick, not Heathrow. BA fly from AMS to both LGW and LHR (BA81xx and BA04xx flights respectively).

Geoff M.

Joost

Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:44 pm

Geoffm: I would'nt be too surprised if that is the reason!

joshdean

Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:53 pm

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 1):
Someone's got to pay for the BA Mainline staff bonus!

LOL! And the champers at the shareholders meeting.  drunk 

Thanks Joost, it makes sense.

I don't think you are being cynical Geoffm, that sounds fairly likely to be the case.

geoffm

Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:54 pm

Quoting Richardw (Reply 4):
BA has a frequent fly scheme and keeps charges high to lessen the benefit of miles.

That's a good point. I can fly to Europe cheaper on easyJet and co than by using my BA miles to claim a "free" flight. Why? Because you still pay the taxes on BA with your "free" flight.

Geoff M.

richardw

Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:03 pm

Another interesting one is SOU-EDI, the fare is GBP10, and taxes, fees and surcharges GBP44.50, more than 4 times the fare.

BA7863 Southampton,United Kingdom Edinburgh,United Kingdom Economy (Traveller) Thu 3 November 2005 ,10:30 Thu 3 November 2005 , 11:45
Inbound BA7868 Edinburgh,United Kingdom Southampton,United Kingdom Economy (Traveller) Tue 8 November 2005 ,19:40 Tue 8 November 2005 , 20:55

Price breakdown
Fare per person

plus taxes, fees, charges and surcharges*

per person Total
1 Adult £ 10.00 £ 44.50 £ 54.50

flyAUA

Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:10 pm

Quoting Joshdean (Thread starter):
So why the £35.50 difference in tax? BA's website states that there is £2.50 per sector charge for for insurance and security rates and a £6.00 per sector fuel surcharge, totalling £17 per European flight. That's still a difference of £18.50 even if these 'surcharges' are justified.

Joshdean, the answer is very simple! Easyjet is better at negotiating lower airport taxes/charges than BA does. Back in the good old days it was even the case that certain airports PAID THE LCCs to fly from their airport (instead of the other way around) because of the passenger traffic they created to help the airport grow. While I doubt that this is still the case, I am still sure that LCCs have more bargaining power than the traditional airlines.

You must also take into account that it probably also has something to do with the level of service offered. It could be that BA parks their aircraft near the terminal (or via a pier), where as Easyjet will park remotely to keep the costs low and take their passengers to the aircraft by bus.

And last but not least (I am not sure if BA includes this in their fares or in their taxes) BA has the fuel surcharge and so on, which Easyjet made very clear they will NOT make the passengers pay.

Those are my 3 reasons anyways. Hope it makes sense  Wink
Not drinking, also isn't a solution!

joshdean

Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:24 pm

Quoting FlyAUA (Reply 10):
You must also take into account that it probably also has something to do with the level of service offered.

Thanks FlyAUA. I guess LCCs having to turnaround the aircraft quicker makes a difference as they are less time on the concrete. Add to that the funny times of the day a large number of LCC flights arrive and depart also keeps their prices down.

richardw

Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:25 pm

BA may make the charges, but I bet they don't allocate them directly because their costs are lower, same as FR make all those wheelchair levies and don't spend the funds on wheelchairs.

On a U2 156 seat A319 the Government tax is £5 per seat, now if the flight is overbooked, U2 pockets the difference, not the government.

BestWestern

Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:47 pm

When BA signs corporate deals, the deal is for the pre tax price.... anything added onto the tax gets charged to the corporate companies...

Only look at the post tax price - £80 return for BA is excellent value. £40 for Ezy is for nothing.
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

richardw

Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:58 pm

The U2 fare is also changeable, the BA fare isn't.

flyAUA

Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:02 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 13):
Only look at the post tax price - £80 return for BA is excellent value. £40 for Ezy is for nothing.

I'd still fly Easyjet  tongue 

I can buy myself that food for 5 quid, and I also get to pick my own seat  Wink

And from my limited experience with BA, I've noticed Easyjet are more punctual too.

trident2e

Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:22 pm

Quoting Joost (Reply 2):
Well, easyJet is on certain routes not showing the real amount of airport tax. It's a kind of marketing/PR issue.

Absolute rubbish!

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 3):
Ba fly to LHR, a more expensive airport which will cost a bit more than LTN or STN

Absolutely irrelevant!

UK Air Passenger Duty is the ONLY tax payable by the airline on LGW/AMS and it is £10 for a return journey. Any other charge listed by the airline is manufactured to extract more money out of people than would otherwise be the case. BA started this odious practice some years ago - easyJet, to its credit, is one of the few airlines that is absolutely honest about the amount of TAX that has to be paid.

joshdean

Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:25 pm

Quoting FlyAUA (Reply 15):
I'd still fly Easyjet

I can buy myself that food for 5 quid, and I also get to pick my own seat

Agreed FlyAUA, especially as it's double the price for only a one hour flight. I can think of lots of ways to spend £40 in Amsterdam, and I don't mean on food  biggrin 

Buyantukhaa

Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:09 pm

Same thing between LIS and AMS, TP's base fare is 64,50 one-way, KL base fare is about 89,50. Surprise surprise, the taxes result in a final price difference of one euro. Besides, TP has a digusting habit of charging a service fee separately that does not show up on the final price calculation on the website (it's a hidden .xls file that you really have to look for). I think there should be an EU-regulation very very very soon forbidding this kind of garbage. What you see must be what you pay, in the end it's the final price that passengers pay and the vast majority don't care which part of that goes to the airport and which to the airline. Furthermore, the fuel supplements. What on earth is the meaning of a base fare without surcharges, without taxes, without service fee? Can you imagine being quoted a train ticket price without a station tax, without an electricity surcharge? Completely ridiculous. Please European Commission, do something - this is the sort of situation where we need you more than anywhere else....
I scratch my head, therefore I am.

AlanUK

Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:38 am

Quoting FlyAUA (Reply 10):
And last but not least (I am not sure if BA includes this in their fares or in their taxes) BA has the fuel surcharge and so on, which Easyjet made very clear they will NOT make the passengers pay.

What a joke! It's been discussed in another threat... Airlines DO NOT "swallow" the increase in fuel prices, it would ruin them! Some airlines (ie: BA/VS) are honest about fuel surcharging, and others (ie: EZ, U2) simply remove the cheapest fares from their system to compensate.

Quoting FlyAUA (Reply 15):
I can buy myself that food for 5 quid, and I also get to pick my own seat

Erm... You can pick your seat on www.ba.com before you even get to the airport/aircraft!

Safe flying.

fbgdavidson

Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:45 am

Quoting Geoffm (Reply 8):
I can fly to Europe cheaper on easyJet and co than by using my BA miles to claim a "free" flight. Why? Because you still pay the taxes on BA with your "free" flight.

People who use miles on European flights are crettins for this very reason.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

ikramerica

Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:02 am

including £45.50 tax

please do not call the fuel surcharge a tax or include it in your tax "package."

a tax is imposed by a government. the fuel surcharge is a scheme by which the airlines back the higher fuel costs out of their fares to be able to advertise a lower fare, and I think it is criminal to do so. For one thing, it creates an artificial sense among customers that fares should be lower than they need to be to run the airline, which in the long run, only hurts the airlines.

cell phone companies in the US do this with all sorts of fees. They are not taxes, but costs of doing business (license fees, for instance), but they are passed on to consumers not in the base rate, but in some stupid line items which make it sound like it is a government tax, which it is not.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

geoffm

Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:03 am

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 20):
People who use miles on European flights are crettins for this very reason

So I either lose the miles and let BA pocket the value, or a use the tiny amount I've earnt just to get something out of it. If you think I'm a crettin (sic) for doing so, then that's your choice. Do you think I ought to save up for 20 years just so I can claim my "free" (plus taxes and surcharges) trans-Atlantic flight?

Geoff M.

fbgdavidson

Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:12 am

Quoting Geoffm (Reply 22):
So I either lose the miles and let BA pocket the value, or a use the tiny amount I've earnt just to get something out of it. If you think I'm a crettin (sic) for doing so, then that's your choice. Do you think I ought to save up for 20 years just so I can claim my "free" (plus taxes and surcharges) trans-Atlantic flight?

Should have put a caveat....

Presuming you are regularly getting miles then using them for European flights is foolish. For 12k miles you can get a ticket in Euro Traveller to Paris, which for randomly selected dates is £57 + £48.30 taxes = £105.30. Your 12,000 miles have got you £57 of flight. At the other end of the scale you could use 25,000 miles to upgrade a flight from London to San Francisco from World Traveller Plus to Club World. WT+ fare before tax = £2021.40. Club World fare before tax is £4911.00.

While you may not have 'saved' money by doing this you are making your miles go a lot further.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

aa757first

Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:43 am

Quoting Joost (Reply 2):

By the way, can someone explain me why a fuel surcharge should be mentioned differently and not in the advertised price?? What will we get more? Captain and F/O surcharge? Lease term surcharge? Aren't fuel and insurance considered as the prime costs of every airline?

In the United States, all carrier imposed charges and fees must be included in an advertised price. For example, an airline could say New York to Miami for $75 and then have, say, a $10 fee in small print at the bottom. It would have to read New York to Miami for $85. Now government and airport fees do not have to be advertised in the price.

AAndrew

geoffm

Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:52 am

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 23):

I hadn't realised the upgrades were relatively good value compared to the Euro flights. However, at the current rate it would still take me 6 LON-NYC trips to earn one upgrade at reduced fare (around £4,000 total) or 2 full fare trips (around £1,720). Upgrading with cash would cost £750 extra whereas upgrading with miles by paying full fare would cost £500 extra. All figures approximate for dates in July.

Personally, I still think CO rewards are far better - even if trans-Atlantic sector upgrades are no longer free. This is the programme I'm concentrating on now.

Geoff M.

BHXFAOTIPYYC

Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:04 am

You're missing the fuel surcharge (YQ tax code on the ticket). People are often comparing U2 or FR to BA on point to point, but it's like comparing apples and oranges. I'm sure U2 would love to charge a fuel surcharge, but FR would make a huge deal of it. Try explaining to pax why FAO LON FAO costs Eur 78 in Q class but with tax and fuel surcharge it becomes Eur 138 .. they think you're making it up.....
Breakfast in BHX, lunch in FAO, dinner in TIP, baggage in YYC.

BHXFAOTIPYYC

Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:35 am

.... oh, and don't forget the EZY credit card fee (+/- £6) - non on ba.com .. as I said all things are not equal...
Breakfast in BHX, lunch in FAO, dinner in TIP, baggage in YYC.

BAxMAN

Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:57 am

Quoting Geoffm (Reply 25):
Personally, I still think CO rewards are far better - even if trans-Atlantic sector upgrades are no longer free. This is the programme I'm concentrating on now.

Perhaps by not restructuring their FF scheme (being cruel to be kind) and adapting to the market that they now serve is a reason why CO are perilously close to extinction.
I need to get laid

flyAUA

Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:52 am

Quoting AlanUK (Reply 19):
What a joke! It's been discussed in another threat... Airlines DO NOT "swallow" the increase in fuel prices, it would ruin them! Some airlines (ie: BA/VS) are honest about fuel surcharging, and others (ie: EZ, U2) simply remove the cheapest fares from their system to compensate.

Easyjet made a very big fuss about this and made BA look bad the first time they did it. They really do not charge you for fuel surcharge. So believe me you're mistaken. I'll get your their press release if you want.

Quoting AlanUK (Reply 19):
Erm... You can pick your seat on www.ba.com before you even get to the airport/aircraft!

Yes but that's only if it's not taken already. I was referring to the pushing and shoving during boarding that is similar to the cattle market. You can decide at the last minute where you want to sit instead of picking as seat, and then later finding out the window isn't positioned accordingly with your headrest  Wink

BAxMAN

Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:13 am

Quoting FlyAUA (Reply 29):
Easyjet made a very big fuss about this and made BA look bad the first time they did it. They really do not charge you for fuel surcharge. So believe me you're mistaken. I'll get your their press release if you want.

Followed by a completely unexaggerated and impartial statement from Michael O'Leary.
I need to get laid

flyAUA

Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:23 am

Quoting BAxMAN (Reply 30):
Followed by a completely unexaggerated and impartial statement from Michael O'Leary.

Which one? I only ever read the Easyjet press release.

jacobin777

Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:43 am

I can give my point of view...for the avarge out of country pax, its easier to arrive at LHR and switch gates/terminal then it is to arrive at LHR, get luggage, got through customs, go to another airport (not free) and deal with all of the hassles of that...ditto for the return trip...

I can't say how it is for the "locals"..but I wouldn't be surprised if location and distance has something to do with it...

I went to Nice on U2 from LTN, and I regretted it, the 2nd time I went to Nice, it was with BA out of LHR..MUCH easier for me....
"Up the Irons!"

joshdean

Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:24 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 21):
please do not call the fuel surcharge a tax or include it in your tax "package."

Thanks Ikamerica, but I'm afraid I will call it a tax. If we are going to get technical about the definitions of the word 'tax' I suggest you take a look at your dictionary; I think you'll find it doesn't necessarily mean a sum of money imposed by a government. Irrespective of that, in terms of purchasing an airline ticket online, a tax is a charge added onto the base fare. And that is what we are talking about.

I think the following 2 quotes pretty much sum up answers to the question I posed when posting this thread: i.e. WHY IS THERE A DIFFERENCE IN TAX?

Quoting Trident2e (Reply 16):
UK Air Passenger Duty is the ONLY tax payable by the airline on LGW/AMS and it is £10 for a return journey. Any other charge listed by the airline is manufactured to extract more money out of people than would otherwise be the case.

This is why EZY charges £10.

Quoting BuyantUkhaa (Reply 18):
What on earth is the meaning of a base fare without surcharges, without taxes, without service fee? Can you imagine being quoted a train ticket price without a station tax, without an electricity surcharge? Completely ridiculous.

The logic in the above quote hits the nail on the head.

Quoting FlyAUA (Reply 29):

Very true FlyAUA. EZY must be doing something right if they are posting profits proportionally higher than BA, whilst managing not to impose the 'fuel surcharge'.

flyAUA

Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:52 am

You just gotta love EasyJet for their highly controversial "latest news" section. It's great to read articles like this one - makes me crack up Big grin

"Bye Bye Baby"

Quoting Joshdean (Reply 33):
Very true FlyAUA. EZY must be doing something right if they are posting profits proportionally higher than BA, whilst managing not to impose the 'fuel surcharge'.

True! Respect for Easyjet with regards to this  thumbsup 

Here is the related press release: http://www.easyjet.com/EN/News/20041008_02.html

Quoting Aa757first (Reply 24):
In the United States, all carrier imposed charges and fees must be included in an advertised price. For example, an airline could say New York to Miami for $75 and then have, say, a $10 fee in small print at the bottom. It would have to read New York to Miami for $85. Now government and airport fees do not have to be advertised in the price.

Easyjet does this and hopes other airlines will follow. See article below if you're interested:

http://www.easyjet.com/EN/News/20050323_01.html

joshdean

Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:48 pm

Quoting FlyAUA (Reply 34):
You just gotta love EasyJet for their highly controversial "latest news" section. It's great to read articles like this one - makes me crack up

This one takes some beating though as far as easyJet and controversy go. I remember reading it last year and managed to find a link...  rotfl 

http://www.inthenews.co.uk/quirky/so...-joke-goes-down-badly-$7026134.htm

flyAUA

Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:00 pm

Quoting Joshdean (Reply 35):

Hahah funny story indeed! Silly how some people are so far up their own arse though... the pilot was just making a light-hearted joke. Everyone knows that people in aviation are nutters anyways. And besides, I get mocked all the time Big grin

richardw

Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:05 pm

I have found that LGW is a joke free base, which is quite good.

flyAUA

Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:46 am

While we were at it...

I stumbled across this while reading my news before bedtime. What a co-incidence... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4617977.stm

"No carrier can absorb these higher oil prices so, unfortunately, passengers - and that includes passengers with all airlines - will have to pay more"

...that's quite a statement. He should speak for himself  scratchchin 

[Edited 2005-06-26 01:52:35]

richardw

Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:41 am

No need for fuel surcharges on easyJet, the price goes up according to demand

Friday 26 August
London Gatwick to Nice
flight 5067; dep. Fri 26 Aug 18:30
arr. Fri 26 Aug 21:30 £119.99
(per person)
Sunday 28 August
Nice to London Gatwick
flight 5068; dep. Sun 28 Aug 21:55
arr. Sun 28 Aug 22:50 £113.14
(per person)