gokmengs

What To Expect From DL Platinum Medallion?

Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:04 am

I have been a Silver Medallion for years, but lately I have been flying extensively to Europe and other international destinations with DL and will be a Gold and right after that Platinum Medallion member (lots of flying in 2 weeks) on mid July. Obviously the DL website lists the benefits but can current members talk about the experience, does the advantages go throughout the SkyTeam carriers? Also what are my chances of getting upgrades to first on domestic flights? Thanks for all the replies already.
Gercekleri Tarih Yazar Tarihide Galatasaray

deltairlines

RE: What To Expect From DL Platinum Medallion?

Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:18 am

Good resource for you would be the Delta forum at FlyerTalk...http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=489. There are many Platinums over there, and they're always talking about upgrade rates, etc.

Basically, from my understanding as a lowly Silver (mostly short hauls up and down the East Coast don't rack up the miles for you), upgrades do come at a decent clip, but still no upgrades on internationals (unless using one of the Platinum upgrades which are only good on Y/B/M fares). For SkyTeam, you'll be ElitePlus, but the only real perk (IMHO) is you'll have lounge access to any club when on an international itinerary (Crown Room is complimentary as a Plat).

Jeff

gokmengs

Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:01 pm

Quoting DeltAirlines (Reply 1):
For SkyTeam, you'll be ElitePlus, but the only real perk (IMHO) is you'll have lounge access to any club when on an international itinerary (Crown Room is complimentary as a Plat).

Thats pretty cool, the only thing is Amex Platinum card already gives me that priviledge and I truly love that perk. Do you think I'll be able to upgrade me and my family (total of 4) get upgraded to first on JFK-ATL-LAS(August 26). The return Leg is on Song so no first available(I like song product anyway). All four people to get upgraded might be a miracle but you never know.

B4REAL

Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:07 pm

Quoting Gokmengs (Reply 2):
Do you think I'll be able to upgrade me and my family (total of 4) get upgraded to first on

I don't think so, b/c the companion upgrade is for 1 companion. Besides, there aren't really enough f/c seats for DL premium customers now as it is easier for medallion status.
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds

gokmengs

Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:11 pm

Quoting B4real (Reply 3):
I don't think so, b/c the companion upgrade is for 1 companion.

Good point. If I happen to get the two seats I'll put my parents on first class, which will still be enough. I know for a fact I have better chances of getting upgraded then a silver or gold medallion though.

Zone1

Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:31 pm

Quoting Gokmengs (Reply 2):
All four people to get upgraded might be a miracle but you never know.

Unless they are also Medallion their fare classes must not be L/U/T for them to be even considered for a companion upgrade.
/// U N I T E D

gokmengs

Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:34 pm

By the way I know DL is going through difficult times, but when will they upgrade or renew their BizElite product? If they are relying on International for better yields, aren't most of their competition --especially out of JFK-- has superior First class product?