yooyoo

Small Plane Crash At YOO: Oshawa

Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:04 am

I was coming home and saw a small plane nose first in a newly developed subdivision.

I was unable to view the plane in detail but it was nose first in a open excavated spot of land where a new home was to be built. Completed homes are a mere hundred feet away from the crash site. It does not look like it hit any other homes.

Apparently it is a floatplane(according to news reports) but i was unable to see any floats.

At YOO, a aviation expo is being held. The Snowbirds are there among other planes/exhibits.

I'm not sure of the pilots condition, but it does not look good. I remain optimistic nonetheless.

I'll try to keep the information coming as i obtain it.

A sad day.

Andreas
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

yooyoo

RE: Small Plane Crash At YOO: Oshawa

Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:51 am

I just learned that the 58 year old pilot has died in the crash. No passengers were on board.

RIP

donder10

Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:56 am

Very sad to hear indeed.

Off-topic somewhat but how much air activity does Oshawa have in the way of movements usually(ie apart from the expo)?Also,does Bowmanville have a little airstrip by any chance?

Jean Leloup

Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:59 am

Very sad to hear. YOO has a special place in my heart, as it's the only airport where I've had the chance to actually fly a plane (introductory lesson), and I went to the Expo a couple years ago - love the little 'terminal' building.

Very sad to hear about the pilot; I also hope that this crash doesn't cause too much of a NIMBY circus - YOO is in a tough enough position as it is, surrounded by development.
Next flight.... who knows.

yooyoo

Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:07 am

It's 4:00 and planes are once again flying including a jet fighter...type?.

www.canadianaviationexpo.com

I'm not sure of the movements at YOO. I live under the flight path and it can get very busy. Mostly 150 152...training sessions.

Nice airport with the "new" terminal building.

Andreas

fubar37

Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:45 am

Here is a picture
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a113/fubar37/DSCF0221.jpg

trvyyz

Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:59 am

I was also at Oshawa today for the Airshow. From the CTV news video clip I saw the Registration no. and I believe this is the one, must have been minutes before the accident. I still cannot believe it.

May his Soul rest in Peace and my heartfelt condolence to his family.