rjpieces

Airlines And Gay Rights

Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:57 am

I've seen talk on A.net before about airlines adopting gay rights policies, some after pressure from cities. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on what airlines have gay rights for employees, and what other gay issues are there with airlines.

Thanks.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

1MillionFlyer

RE: Airlines And Gay Rights

Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:03 am

I am gay and I have had enough gay threads on A.net for a few days, please give us 2 days' peace before we all start getting flamed again by SFOM EX and AllstarFlyer

ALL airlines in the US pretty much have domestic partner health insurance and travel benefits.

This battle was fought in the early 90's. Delta sponsors NYC gay pride, London Gay pride and of course Atlanta Gay pride.

AA and UA very agressiviely market to the gay community.

We have nothing to worry about with the US based airlines.
Golf Foxtrot you are cleared for departure

tymnbalewne

Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:24 am

I believe BA is/was a sponsor of the "Rainbow" card...a credit card (VISA or MC?) that was marketed to the gay population.

BA's sales team have presented to GLBT groups.

As an employer, BA offers same-sex couples staff travel benefits that are equal to opposite sex couples.

C.
Dewmanair...begins with Dew

Emirates773ER

Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:33 am

Could'nt think of gay rights on airlines at least from where I come from (middle east).  Yeah sure
The Truth is Out There ---- Face It!!!!!

Ryanair!!!

Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:35 pm

Ditto that for Asian based airlines.
Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!

Capt.Fantastic

Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:41 pm

I think United Airlines had encountered pressure from the city of San Fransisco on this issue - They had to give in for obvious reasons.

jrlander

Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:45 pm

Hmmm...

I was just looking at OutTraveler magazine the other day and JAL had a huge ad on the back cover. So while Asian airlines may not adopting gay-friendly policies, they are aware of the economic power of the "Pink" dollar/Euro/Pound/etc.

seven3seven

Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:18 pm

I'm surprised SWA has any gay-friendly policies since we're a big Texas hometown airlines.

My partner gets full travel benefits, but only after a year, and then we have to pay taxes on passes. They're not free like a marital spouse.

My partner gets health coverage if we wanted it, but its more expensive than coverage for a spouse.

That's about it.
My views are mine alone and are not that of any of my fellow employees, officers, or directors at my company

commavia

Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:30 pm

AA has traditionally been an extremely liberal company in terms of offering policies and benefits favorable to gay and lesbian employees and their life partners. AA has, however, encountered some resistance and pressure from traditionalist and religous groups because of this.

ha763

Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:03 pm

Quoting Capt.Fantastic (Reply 5):
I think United Airlines had encountered pressure from the city of San Fransisco on this issue - They had to give in for obvious reasons.

All airlines serving SFO felt the same pressure. It was partly because of this the airline I used to work for started domestic partner benefits.

FlySSC

Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:16 pm

Concerning Air France, there is no differences between "straight" and "gay" couples, married or not, as soon as you are declared "official" couple to AF.
You get the same rights in terms of travel benefits, priority for boarding, holidays period together (when the two are working for AF), and for F.A/F.A or Pilot/Pilot or F.A/Pilot couples, one flight together per month is automatically scheduled if requested (some couples with children don't want to fly together, just in case...).

flyAUA

Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:50 pm

Well there are those airlines where matters if you have same-sex partners/husbands/wives. Then there are those airlines where it doesn't matter if you do. With the latter you can enjoy all the benefits that hetersexual couples would have.
Not drinking, also isn't a solution!

nethkt

Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:55 pm

For SAS, your same-sex spouse has the same privilege as opposite-sex spouse.

Well, it's Scandinavian  Wink (just like the airlines slogan)!!
Let's just blame it on yields.

corsairf/a

Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:42 pm

In France gay couple got the same privilege as the others, as There is a kind of legal union which exists here.

longhauler

Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:48 pm

Air Canada too gives full rights to gay couples. And as gay marriage is legal in 8 out of 10 provinces, it soon becomes a moot point. (Our government is presently in debate over whether to make gay marriages legal across all provinces and territories).
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

virgin744

Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:54 pm

Quoting 1MillionFlyer (Reply 1):
I am gay and I have had enough gay threads on A.net for a few days, please give us 2 days' peace

Amen to that brother! I'm not gay and dont hate gays but all I keep seeing and reading about on A.net boards is Gay this & Gay that!!!! Jeeeeeeeeeez can we not have discussions about anything NOT Gay related?

We're gonna be referred to as Gayliners.net soon!  duck 

virgin744

September11

Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:04 pm

American Airlines is a huge supporter of gay rights. On AA's web site - they show it all:

(Copy & Paste function used)

Diversity at AAAt American, we are committed to diversity. With diversity comes opportunities for success which is good for our employees, our customers, our communities, and ultimately our business.

We also do more than state our commitment to diversity. Our commitment is displayed in numerous ways and frequently sets the standard for other companies.

Our many achievements include:
Top Diversity employer
First major commercial airline to hire a female pilot
First U.S. airline to provide a Spanish and Portuguese language onboard magazine, "Nexos"
First airline to create a targeted sales team focused specifically on ethnic and GLBT markets
Award winning Diversified Supplier Program
Ongoing employee and company involvement in diverse community affairs and charitable organizations
14 Employee Resource Groups and Diversity Advisory Council -that take an active role in business solutions
Employee Resource Groups are an important part of AMR's efforts to foster an inclusive work environment. Through our Employee Resource Groups, we've created opportunities for employees to have a voice in business, support each other and share their unique perspectives, cultures and experiences with employees. We proudly support and encourage employee involvement in any of our Employee Resource Groups:
African-American Employee Resource Group
Asian Cultural Association
Caribbean Employees
Christian Resource Group
Employees with Disabilities
Gay, Lesbian, Transgender and Bisexual Employees
Indian Employees
Jewish Resource Group
Latin Employee Resource Group
Muslim Resource Group
Native American Employee Resource Group
Women in AAviation
Work and Family Balance
40 Plus/Senior Employees
Together, we create the team that delivers the best air travel service in the world. Our employees are proud to be American Airlines.

Just my  twocents 
Airliners.net of the Future

bond007

Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:22 pm

It would be nice if your committment also extended to those 99.99% of travellers that aren't gay !
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

patrickj

Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:39 pm

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 17):
It would be nice if your commitment also extended to those 99.99% of travelers that aren't gay !

Thank You for saying it.

Quoting Commavia (Reply 8):
AA has, however, encountered some resistance and pressure from traditionalist and religous groups because of this.

Typical of the hypocrisy in today's environment. I must accept liberal views and policies but they do not want to allow me my conservative views. I personally have no ax to grind with anyone over any lifestyle, but that is not true of those who want to shove their values at others.

Why are we even talking about this?

Last time I checked airplanes and airlines were neither straight or gay.

amirs

Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:52 pm

Quoting FlySSC (Reply 10):
Concerning Air France, there is no differences between "straight" and "gay" couples, married or not, as soon as you are declared "official" couple to AF.
You get the same rights in terms of travel benefits, priority for boarding, holidays period together (when the two are working for AF), and for F.A/F.A or Pilot/Pilot or F.A/Pilot couples, one flight together per month is automatically scheduled if requested (some couples with children don't want to fly together, just in case...).

SAME POLICY AT EL AL.

N1120A

Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:59 pm

Quoting Seven3Seven (Reply 7):
I'm surprised SWA has any gay-friendly policies

There is no reason to be surprised that WN has the policies they do. They maybe based in Texas, but they were started and are still run by rather leftist lawyers
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

MUCFlieger

Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:04 pm

Quoting Ryanair!!! (Reply 4):
Ditto that for Asian based airlines.

Thai Airways was running an ad in a german gay magazin:

http://www.sergej-magazin.de/uploads/pdf/1112777884.pdf

It can be seen on the very last page!

CHI787ORD

Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:08 pm

to those 99.99% of travellers that aren't gay !

I don't mean to get political, but check your statistics.

1rocco

Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:23 pm

I for one have to applaud the airlines in the efforts they have made to accommodate gays and lesbians. The problem lies in the fact that we cannot marry and the fact the heterosexual couples can. I would be perfectly fine with airlines requiring homosexual couples to be married to receive benefits if it were legal. Most airlines have guidelines in place ie...joint Checking/savings, life insurance beneficiary, and have been together a certain length of time. So its not like you can put down the partner you just met this weekend at the local pride festival. I think this is a good thing.

bond007

Quoting CHI787ORD (Reply 22):
I don't mean to get political, but check your statistics.

Stats of 'gay' people, or as I said, 'gay travellers' ??

Not that easy to know how many gay people actually travel!

OK...so 97%, 99%, you get my point

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

CalAir

Well, im gay and as long as my company treated my partner the same as if I was straight, ie even if they didn't recognise non married couples, even straight couples, id be happy.Although, i dont work in aviation anymore.
British Caledonian...we never forget, you have a choice

ORDagent

Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:43 pm

Regardless of your view on gay rights the airlines (and most other companies) have domestic partner benefits etc for one simple reason alone: CASH. Domestic partner rights are a cheap way to present an inclusive view to the world. It is also a way to ensure they have the ability to recruit employees without placing any barriers to accepting whomever fits the position. Advertising to the GLBT community has a comparatively high return on investment as the GLBT community is very loyal to companies that go out for their business. Travel related companies have been going after the GLBT community because of the perceived notion that GLBT people have more disposable income as the majority aren't sinking their entire salaries into raising children.

I was absolutely shocked when I saw the Wall Street Journal one of the most socially conservative news papers here in the U.S. support domestic partner benefits for one simple reason. It made good business sense.

I for one try to go out of my way to respect the views of all my co-workers that have divergant views of my own, in this case those on the right. Why? How I can I demand respect and equality without giving others that I may not agree with in the work place the same? Lively discussion and debate is vital to at true democracy without degenerating into flame wars like here on A-net?  Smile

[Edited 2005-06-27 16:47:25]

L.1011

Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:54 pm

It would be nice if your committment also extended to those 99.99% of travellers that aren't gay !

They do...

Quoting Patrickj (Reply 18):
Why are we even talking about this?

Last time I checked airplanes and airlines were neither straight or gay.

Airplanes and airlines do not have a sexual orientation. Their employees and customers do. Because the plane and the airline doesn't do much good without those people, I'd say it's a very valid topic.

Quoting 9844 (Reply 25):
Sexually deviant behavior.GAY is wrong

Based on what science?

slider

Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:02 am

CO allows a "registered travel companion" as an alternative for spouse.

windshear

Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:08 am

1MillionFlye you of all people should know that on the net we have a right to post and discuss what we would like... In this forum it has to be aviation related.
Why and how can you see enough of such topics, if people are not done discussing/debating related issues?

If you are irritated, please look the other way...

Boaz...
"If you believe breaking is possible, believe in fixing also"-Rebbe Nachman

2H4

Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:17 am

Quoting 9844 (Reply 25):
Sexually deviant behavior.GAY is wrong

That's not the issue here, 9844. Here...I'll refresh your memory:

Quoting RJpieces (Thread starter):
I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on what airlines have gay rights for employees, and what other gay issues are there with airlines.

Care to contribute?

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

RyanAFAMSP

Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:36 am

Domestic Partner Benefits came to the airlines on July 31st, 1999, when United Airlines capitulated to a broad grassroots campaign pressuring it to drop its lawsuit against the city of San Francisco. In April of 1997, United, on behalf of all members of the Air Transport Association, filed suit against the city after it had passed the Equal Benefits Ordinance in November of 1996. United argued that a local municipality has no right to regulate the business of a multinational corporation. This of course was after United had benefited from the bonding on the new international terminal, much of which was paid for by the public. BUT United argued that in this case the public should have no say about the way it did business.

For two years United incurred a fairly dramatic campaign of resistance by gay activists, elected officials in San Francisco, legal groups, and the union movement. After two years of wrangling, they agreed to the city and activists demands, and offered full benefits for all couples. American followed the next day. USAirways came in September. The final U.S. major was TWA in very early 2000.

Of course many overseas airlines were ahead of the U.S. on this. Workers in Brazil, New Zealand, South Africa, and much of Northern and Western Europe already had better benefits for same sex couples than in the U.S. The San Francisco case really leveled the playing field.

PRAirbus

Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:06 am

AA has an open mind towards gay rights, benefits, etc. The work environment is very open and diverse. They also have a program called "GLEAM" for employees.

flyAUA

Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:14 am

Quoting PRAirbus (Reply 32):
GLEAM

I guess the G is for Gay and the L is for Lesbian... what about the rest?
Not drinking, also isn't a solution!

Tarheel

Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:22 am

Quoting Capt.Fantastic (Reply 5):
They had to give in for obvious reasons.

It seems you reveal some prejudice in using the phrase "give in" rather than accepting that it was the fair thing to do.

[Edited 2005-06-27 18:30:55]

EDDM

Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:33 am

Quoting FlyAUA (Reply 33):

According to their homepage, it seems to stand for "Gay, Lesbian, bisexual and transgendered Employees of AMR."

skymileman

Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:02 am

Although I myself am not gay, after reading this post, I am really pretty proud to hear that our own US air carriers do such a good job providing for their employees regardless of their differences. I think that is the way it ought to be. After all, we're all just people, right?

FlySSC

Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:09 am

Guys, don't waste your time to answer "9844" whether being Gay is right or wrong  sarcastic 
First, it doesn't worth it.
Second, this is not the purpose of this forum.

Just suggest "DELETION" as I did already twice, and give your opinion about the subject of this topic if you feel concerned.

asteriskceo

Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:11 am

B6 is very gay-friendly, they connect all the gay areas: bay area, socal, nyc, south floridaMaybe mr. Neeleman is. :-pI've never seen more gays on any other airliner

LY4XELD

Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:50 am

Quoting FlyAUA (Reply 33):

GLEAM stands for Gay, Lesbian (Bisexual and Transgendered) Employees of AMR. It's been around for 10 years!

A sidenote about AA - The rainbow flag is being displayed for the month of June at AMR Headquarters. I've NEVER seen that before as an all out recognition of gay pride month!
That's why we're here.

Lufthansa

Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:40 am

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 24):
Stats of 'gay' people, or as I said, 'gay travellers' ??

Not that easy to know how many gay people actually travel!

OK...so 97%, 99%, you get my point

Okay Bondie, you're way out of range. General population wise, 10% is considered the rule of thumb, however there has been some debate this
may be higher due to problems in certain sections of the comunity, being open enough to admitt their activites etc..

Anyway, the point is, if it is AT LEAST 10% of the general community, it
is going to be higher in the travelling community due to the simple fact that single people and childless couples have far higher disposible incomes...hence they can afford to fly more often and demand more things like intercontinental business class tickets.....which is why all these marketing ppl are getting so excited about the "pink dollar". You could be talking 20% of the business class cabin here.....maybe higher in certain markets (SYD or SFO- LHR for example) You just can't tell because most of them "appear normal"....no pink too too's on.

PSA53

Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:06 am

I agree with you FlySSC.Over the
past week,on the non-aviation
forum,gay issues came up just to
often.
I don't care if your straight or gay.
If you want to post this issue, this
often,then equal time!
Put on hard line Christians RIGHTS.They should have the same
equal time!

And I'm not fond hard line Christians.

Thanks
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

BigGSFO

Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:21 am

It's an undisputed fact that as a whole gays and lesbians have higher disposible incomes (of course exceptions to the rule, but I am speaking in broad terms). Thus a whole new niche in marketing has emerged. Companies from airlines to banks to home improvement stores are vying for the so-called "pink dollar." As companies seek broader apppeal in marketing we'll see more and more outreach and advertising to the gay community. Just yesterday at the GLBT festival in SF DL had a booth and was passing out T-shirts and 10% off travel coupons on any DL flight from SFO. DL was also the "Official airline of SF Pride."

Also most Fortune 500 companies have same sex/domestic partner benefits in spite of what personal viewpoints are held by their boards, presidents etc. In offering such benefits, they have the ability to recruit and keep talented individuals and stay out of the courtrooms when biased policies are challenged. Airlines are no exception. And I would venture to say there is a substanital number of gays and lesbians (understatment?) working within the industry and this is a natural extenison of a benefit package.

As a gay employee of a Fortune 10 company who is partnered with an airline employee, there is security and loyalty in knowing our employers have extended us the same benefits as any other "married" couple.

johnboy

Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:47 am

I am very pleased that the airline industry is leading the way on this, and really haven't had ANY time for Christians to argue against it.

As far as "Christian rights" go, when they try to deny me ANYTHING, then their "rights" go out the back door.

BigGSFO

Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:50 am

Quoting Johnboy (Reply 43):
As far as "Christian rights" go, when they try to deny me ANYTHING, then their "rights" go out the back door.

Amen, brother.

bond007

Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:50 am

Quoting Lufthansa (Reply 40):
Okay Bondie, you're way out of range. General population wise, 10% is considered the rule of thumb, however there has been some debate this
may be higher due to problems in certain sections of the comunity, being open enough to admitt their activites etc..

Anyway, the point is, if it is AT LEAST 10% of the general community, it
is going to be higher in the travelling community due to the simple fact that single people and childless couples have far higher disposible incomes...hence they can afford to fly more often and demand more things like intercontinental business class tickets.....which is why all these marketing ppl are getting so excited about the "pink dollar". You could be talking 20% of the business class cabin here.....maybe higher in certain markets (SYD or SFO- LHR for example) You just can't tell because most of them "appear normal"....no pink too too's on.

Oh, give me a break!

Sorry, I didn't include the male flight attendants  Smile

20% of business cabins aren't filled by gay people .... you're living in a dreamworld (or a nightmare!).

Regardless, my point is that it would be nice if the airlines also concentrated and made these huge investments on the MAJORITY of their pax ..i.e. normal people. Believe it or not, they can also have large disposable incomes !

The airline industry is losing millions and we're building whole new departments to support a small percentage of the pax.

Heh, I'm not prejudiced just against gays, I have the same complaints that my company has to by law, spend tens of thousands of dollars on handicapped facilities that might be used once every 3 years!

Jimbo

PSA53

Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:59 am

Johnboy-

If you wish to take this issue to the non-aviation
forum,please do so.This is not the place to discuss this.

Thanks
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

bond007

Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:02 am

Quoting RJpieces (Thread starter):
....and what other gay issues are there with airlines.

Quite valid actually!

Jimbo

jpetekyxmd80

Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:11 am

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 45):
Regardless, my point is that it would be nice if the airlines also concentrated and made these huge investments on the MAJORITY of their pax

Huge investments? Thats odd when you think its such a small percentage. Its doing the just and right thing, buddy. Apparently that doesnt matter to you.

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 45):
normal people

Setting on a wash machine buddy, and it makes me sick to hear sentiments like yours.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

xpat

Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:14 am

Quoting LY4XELD (Reply 39):
A sidenote about AA - The rainbow flag is being displayed for the month of June at AMR Headquarters. I've NEVER seen that before as an all out recognition of gay pride month!

Now, THAT is cool!
The only thing we have to fear is the sky falling on our heads. -Asterix

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos