goodday

Carry On Baggage

Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:20 am

For safety, what is the best way to minimize carry on baggage to be brought into the cabin. It is a headache that more and more people are likely to bring in carry-on-baggage like piggy bags these days.

aerorobnz

RE: Carry On Baggage

Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:44 am

I don't know if this is the kind of answer you are meaning, but I'll offer it anyway.

As a CSA It's my responsibility to sight the hand luggage. If it looks anything close to the maximum of 7kg then I weight it. Basically if they have lots of stuff to bring on carryon I will refuse them and tell them to check it in. We also have Security upstairs that weigh suspect bags as they go through Customs/ Immigration. If they are too heavy they are given a form to come back to check it in. I advise the pax that if it is too heavy it is a danger to everyone seated anywhere near them and that they could be sued for damages by another passenger and certainly they would be liable for medical expenses if they were hurt by overweight handluggage. At the departure gate the CSAs are also on the lookout for overweight/excess handluggage, so they have to make it through 3 steps.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

nudelhirsch

Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:49 am

Cabin luggage is normally one bag/thing... plus a "personal item" such as laptop or purse... So grab a bag plus a briefcase and keep the weight low enough, and you will be good...

I normally have something like a pilot's briefcase and sometimes a laptop case in addition, the rest is being checked in...

Previously I had my trolley plus the briefcase as cabin luggage - worked out well...
Putana da Seatbeltz!

nkops

Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:56 am

Quoting Goodday (Thread starter):
It is a headache that more and more people are likely to bring in carry-on-baggage like piggy bags these days.

Yes, it is a headache, and probably one that will never go away. I am totally against roller bags as carry-ons, but you have to weigh the customer service aspect of it.

I personally would like to see the roller bags checked. IMHO, carry-on is for essentials only, and not a whole week worth of clothes
:evil:

HKGKaiTak

Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:27 am

What's the policy with stuff you buy in all those duty free stores?

I once got on a HKG-SIN flight on CX (empty 332) and then onto a SIN-SYD flight on BA (full 744) with 2 huge carry bags (must be around 15-20kg) of books and newspapers I bought at HKG airport - in addition to a super-heavy backpack. No-one ever stopped me or checked.
4 Engines 4 LongHaul