drinkstrolley

Photo Of The Day - LAX

Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:54 am

In this pic you can see various aircraft parked and attached to jetways, but each building seems to be not joined to anything else, i.e a terminal! So where does everybody go? Underground?

Cheers!!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Matthew Hom

drerx7

RE: Photo Of The Day - LAX

Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:57 am

Buses to the Tom Bradley International Terminal. Domestic flights sometimes use these buildings.
Third Coast born, means I'm Texas raised

COEWR

Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:18 am

Another question I had about this is where is the EVA plane? I see a Cathay Pacific and Air New Zealand along with the others mentioned, but no EVA Air. Maybe I just missed it.

-C

ERJ170

Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:24 am

The caption only mention El Al, Korean, VS, and Cathay Pacific .. although I think that is NZ in the top right corner.. I think..
Aiming High and going far..

Cpt Underpants

Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:49 am

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 3):
although I think that is NZ in the top right corner.. I think..

Nope, that's an El Al B777. The star is the giveaway.

COEWR

Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:52 am

lol...what in the world was I reading! oops!

-C

Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:53 am

Quoting Cpt Underpants (Reply 4):
although I think that is NZ in the top right corner.. I think..

Nope, he means further to the right of the El Al (and isn't the El Al a 763?)
7 hours aint long-haul

drerx7

Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:54 am

Its not an El AL 777--its an El Al 767.

Cpt Underpants

Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:01 am

So sorry, you are correct it's a 767-300! Now I see the one in the corner, it was cut off on my screen until I scrolled right, and yes, it's Air New Zealand.

jetBlue

Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:01 am

Those little buildings appear a bit odd. I'd imagine 400 people can't cram in there to wait for a bus. Do they deplane by sections, or are there buses steadily coming during an arrival to fit everyone?

jetBlue
We know for you it's not just a seat on a flight to a place. It's a seat on a flight to your life.

ssides

Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:12 am

I was about to ask the same question about these gates ... so you are bused from the gates to/from the terminal? How much space is in the gates? Are you required to wait there for a long period of time?

How well does this system work?
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

drerx7

Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:26 am

Quoting Cpt Underpants (Reply 8):
So sorry, you are correct it's a 767-300! Now I see the one in the corner, it was cut off on my screen until I scrolled right, and yes, it's Air New Zealand.

The El Al is a 767-200 I believe turning to YYZ. The NZ is definately a 763. I've always been intrigued by this system; however I've never utilized it. I always deplane at the terminal complex when I fly into LAX.

Ari

Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:32 am

hmmm i was just wondering...those air bridges look rather small and im not too sure if they are connected to the aircraft doors???If they are...it still leaves the problem of luggage. By the looks of things there doesn't seem to be much equipment that can handle the baggage requirements for these types of aircraft! My 1st opinion was that they were only remote stands for aircraft to stay during their long wait until departure back to their origin?!?!please correct me if i am wrong.

ari

wedgetail737

Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:35 am

I've seen MAC flights at those terminals before.

Ari

Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:37 am

Quoting COEWR (Reply 2):
Another question I had about this is where is the EVA plane? I see a Cathay Pacific and Air New Zealand along with the others mentioned, but no EVA Air. Maybe I just missed it.

-C

Quoting COEWR (Reply 5):

-C

you're not the only 1!!!when the picture 1st appeared on the "top of llast 24 hours" i was also sure it said there was an eva air!!!!Now that i've checked on it a few minutes ago it's disapearred!!!maybe someone editted it?!

ari

drerx7

Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:44 am

Those jetways do accomodate the aircraft. In times of peak usage then those stands are used just as if they are at the actual terminal complex.

COEWR

Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:44 am

Quoting Ari (Reply 14):
you're not the only 1!!!when the picture 1st appeared on the "top of llast 24 hours" i was also sure it said there was an eva air!!!!Now that i've checked on it a few minutes ago it's disapearred!!!maybe someone editted it?!

ari

Thank goodness...I thought I was losing my mind for a minute there!

-C

ATAV2pls10

Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:56 am

Those buildings are the "west remote buildings." A plane unloads into each building and anywhere from 2 to 6 busses (depending on the plane) pull up to the building and bus them to the Bradley International building to clear immigration and customs.

V2

Sabena 690

Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:59 am

Quoting COEWR (Reply 16):
Quoting Ari (Reply 14):

ari

Thank goodness...I thought I was losing my mind for a minute there!

You were all just dreaming I guess  Wink

ORD2PHL

Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:31 am

Quoting COEWR (Reply 2):
Another question I had about this is where is the EVA plane? I see a Cathay Pacific and Air New Zealand along with the others mentioned, but no EVA Air. Maybe I just missed it

The caption says EL AL, not Eva  Wink

ORD2PHL

tsully

Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:58 am

I flew into one of these remote terminals on KLM from AMS a good 7 years ago... as people have said, we were bused to the main Bradley terminal to clear customs and immigration. I think there were 5 buses required to transport everyone off of our -400. On that particular flight, we had a person with a medical situation, so everyone was told to remain seated until the emergency workers deplaned the fallen passenger. By the time that was accomplished, we got straight into our buses.

Sometimes you see foreign planes parked at these remote terminals overnight. Qantas usually seems to have a few -400s parked in this vicinity at night... sometimes just on the remote tarmac and not pulled up to a terminal at all.
I love America. I guess that makes me Bush's poodle, but I'd rather be a dog in New York City than a prince in Riyadh.

ANITIX87

Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:05 am

The caption DID say EVA when it first appeared as the Top of Last 24 Hours. I couldn't find the plane, so I assumed it was just a typo, and I was right.

Athens International (Eliftheros Venizelos) has a similar system, where you go down about 8 staircases to go through security and then buses take you from a small room to your aircraft. Granted these are not used for long-haul routes, but I was there for a LH A300 to FRA last year during the Olympics and I must say the system worked VERY well. I also experienced it with an LX flight on an AVRO.

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

flpuck6

Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:11 am

Remote bussing and boarding is a concept not widely used by airports in the United States, especially in comparison to airports in Europe.

Those stands in the aforementioned photo are remote stands and at least some of them do have "shelters" with jetbridges attached to them.

CDG is widely known for having to board passengers on remote stands. Air France is notorious for this ... and they just put the blame on ADP. In "satellite Hotel" (a remote area with 12 parking stands to the North of Terminal 2F) they have managed to scrape together covered boarding areas with partially covered walkways out to 6 parking stands. Otherwise, all other stands are really out in the open.
Bonjour Chef!

ua777222

Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:46 am

Thank you all for showing intrest in my shot. Those stands were full the entire day. AI was one that used it when I showed up that day. Being Saturday the arrivals were very early compared to that of the other days.

Again thanks a lot for taking a peek at my shot!

Thanks!

Matt
"It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

boeingfever777

Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:45 pm

Quoting COEWR (Reply 2):

nothing to say... mr know-it-all! your post is way after the pic was corrected!

Quoting Cpt Underpants (Reply 4):

Your a pilot and cannot tell the size dif in the KE 777 and the EL 763?
The star is the giveaway. what are you talking about? All EL a/c have stars.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre.

ua777222

Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:54 pm

Quoting BoeingFever777 (Reply 24):
The star is the giveaway. what are you talking about? All EL a/c have stars.

Ok calm down now.

I have a feeling Capt. Underpants felt that ERJ170 was refuring to the NZ 763 that got chopped in the top right for the EL aircraft. He is, however, wrong in that it's an EL 767. EL hasn't, if my memory serves me right, served LAX with a 777 for over 2 years...

Thanks,

Matt

A330Fan1

Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:50 pm

hey hey hey

isn't the Elal aircraft a 762??!?? looks too short to be a 763! and doesn't Elal use a 762 to LAX anyway??

ua777222

Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:04 pm

Quoting A330Fan1 (Reply 26):
isn't the Elal aircraft a 762??!?? looks too short to be a 763! and doesn't Elal use a 762 to LAX anyway??

Yes, I am 99.9% positive it's a 762. FARRRRRRRRRRRR smaller than the 777 just yards away.

Thanks,

Matt

ilyag

Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:35 pm

1. That 's LY 762, not 763. The only 763 LY uses is leased and doesn't have full livery (just the tail and ELAL titles):

View Large View Medium

Photo © Santhosh Fernandez

2. I have used similar remote jetbridges in MUC:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Alex F.

They do this very efficiently in MUC. On arrival buses are already there, so nobody waits. On deprature, they send a new bus when previous goup boarded not to have people waiting outside of the tiny gate building for boarding.

DIA

Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:35 pm

Wow, some heated conversation here. . .

Anyhow, just thought I'd let all interested parties know that I used the remote gate where the EL AL 767 is in this photo. I was on an A^A 738 on route DEN-LAX-SFO last fall. We used this gate because there was construction going on at our regular gate at the A^A Terminal. Because I was continuing on to SFO, I got to hang out with some FAs and just a few other pax. We had a blast on the 738 with the doors open, hanging out in the front and rear gallies, talking with the food loaders, taking great photos of the other int'l aircraft around us. . .it was great.

Funny thing is. . .is I told the pilot, beforewe left Denver, that we'd be using a remote gate at LAX. . .he scoffed and just about laughed at me saying, "I've been flying in and out of LA for x amount of years and I have never used the remote stands..." During our descent into the LA Basin area, he came over the PA and kindly remarked that a "fellow passenger" earlier pointed out the fact that we will be parking at a remote stand upon landing at LAX...so any pax whose destination is LA will be bussed into the main terminal, etc."

So that's my experience. . .I feel as though I lucked out on that one.
Ding! You are now free to keep supporting Frontier.

ccc

Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:11 am

Passengers go by bus from the remote gates to the terminal. The busses are like to one in the movie "Speed".

iberiadc852

Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:53 am

Quoting BoeingFever777 (Reply 24):

Although it looks clearly smaller than a 777 anyway, the EL AL plane would look quite smaller than the KE one just because of being farther from the photographer, even if it were a 777.

What should not lead to confusion (being or not being a pilot) is the very different aspect between a 762 (the EL AL plane in the photo) and a 763, whatever the distance is, because distance does not affect proportionality.
variety is the spice of life; that's what made the "old times" so good

AA54Heavy

Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:59 am

Is it just me, or does it seem like they did a crappy job utilizing the land in between the runways? The terminal complex is pretty large, but when compared to the area, you coulbe probably fit like 3 or 4 of those complexes....have they thought of putting a large international terminal on the land where they have the remote gates? Perhaps connecting it with roads from the West and perhaps a subway or something from the rest of the terminals. Just random thoughts...
Roger that, turning to our "other" left

xpat

Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:43 am

Quoting COEWR (Reply 5):

No, you read correctly. The day the picture was posted it did say EVA. I was trying to locate the EVA aircraft myself. I think the caption has been edited.
The only thing we have to fear is the sky falling on our heads. -Asterix

formerhongky

Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:15 am

I've used one of those stands before. It seems excessive relative to just pulling up a standard set of air-stairs, but the building does contain a coiled ramp, making it much more convenient for a passenger in a wheelchair. You are also protected from inclement weather (not generally a huge problem in LA, though). I can't remember if there was provision for the buses to actually come inside the building to pick you up so you would be fully protected.

drinkstrolley

Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:28 am

Quoting Ccc (Reply 30):
Passengers go by bus from the remote gates to the terminal. The busses are like to one in the movie "Speed".

So what's the point of the Airbridge / Jetway??? Why not just find some steps from somewhere?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos