lucianflyboy

DFW Terminal D - Any News?

Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:58 pm

I did a search on this and found nothing. I went over to Terminal D a few days ago and walked the length of the terminal. It was so depressing see this lonely, empty, desolate place that used to be vibrant and active.

Has any one showed any interest in moving into those vacant gates? Now with Term D opening up, it might be even harder to fill those gates.

The whole thing was like a scene from Steven King's 'The Langoliers'  cry 

ManchesterMAN

RE: DFW Terminal D - Any News?

Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:02 pm

Do you mean terminal E was vacant? Terminal D will be a hive of activity soon.
Flown: A300,A319,A320,A321,A330,A340.A380,717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC9,DC10,MD11,MD80,F100,F50,ERJ,E190,CRJ,BAe146,Da

commavia

Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:16 pm

I'll assume you are talking about Terminal E.

As for Terminal E, while there have not yet been any firm agreements to move to those gates, I think DFW is keeping their options open. The upcoming fight (probably in the next 8-10 months) over Wright and the opening of Love is forcing DFW to keep all those gates open. By keeping them open, it gives DFW the opportunity to say, "WN is welcome at DFW anytime -- we have plenty of open gates."

If, however, Love ends up getting opened and WN doesn't move any flights over to DFW, the rumor is that DFW is trying to work out a deal to get all the airlines in Terminal B to move their operations to the spare gates in Terminal E and turn Terminal B (beyond just gate B14) into an RJ hub for American Eagle.

There is more than enough room for all these airlines (HP-US, TZ, F9, EV, YX, UA and US). UA could move to the high E gates (around E31-E38) and use the old DL CRC as its RCC. The terminal also has plenty of space for all these airlines, even with DL, CO, NW and FL staying in the low E gates, and even if they don't reconfigure the high E gates (which are now spaced farther apart to accomodate international arrivals). And, if they really needed extra gates, there's always the satellite.

As for Terminal B, it would be turned into a full-Eagle RJ hub to consolidate all their flying from B and the A satellite. B currently has 31 gates. But, reconfigured for only RJs, it would probably hold 45-50, more than enough room for Eagle to expand and grow.

lucianflyboy

Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:26 pm

Quoting Commavia (Reply 2):
I'll assume you are talking about Terminal E.

OOPS!...yes I meant Term E. Still waking up here!

lucianflyboy

Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:34 pm

As for Terminal B, it would be turned into a full-Eagle RJ hub to consolidate all their flying from B and the A satellite.

That would be a great idea if it was done. The satellite terminal should be a little better for connections with Skylink. It just takes on gate hold and one slow moving bus and you have a misconnect.

They've been rumors about Eagle taking over Term B for years now. They've bounced back and forth between A and B. Let's see how it unfolds.

AAtakeMeAway

Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:53 pm

UA could move to the high E gates (around E31-E38) and use the old DL CRC as its RCC.

Hi Commavia, What does CRC and RCC mean?
I guess when D opens those high E gates will be empty as I'm assuming Aeromexico, Sun Country, and Champion <--? will be moving to D, right?

commavia

Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:13 am

Quoting AAtakeMeAway (Reply 5):
What does CRC and RCC mean?

DL CRC = Delta Air Lines Crown Room Club
UA RCC = United Airlines Red Carpet Club
(their respective airport lounges)

UA would probably demand to have an airport lounge over in Terminal E to match what they have in B. DL has two CRCs now closed, one in the high E gates, and one in the satellite. UA could use the one in the high E gates.

Quoting AAtakeMeAway (Reply 5):
I guess when D opens those high E gates will be empty as I'm assuming Aeromexico, Sun Country, and Champion <--? will be moving to D, right?

Yes. All international airlines (AC, AM, BA, LH, KE, and TA) plus all of the primarily charter/ad-hoc carriers (SY, MG, etc.) will all be moving to the common-use, low-D gates (D6-D18, IIRC). There will be no international flights coming or going from any of the other terminals.