Glareskin
Topic Author

What Is The Secret Of EK Success?

Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:16 pm

As a frequent and global traveller I noticed that almost all the important airports have a growing number of EK aircrafts coming and going. The enthousiastic purchasing policy, with ofcourse a huge amount of A380 coming, underlines their confidence in the future. Apart from having a great service and beautiful fleet, what is the reason for the success? Do they have better open skies agreements or more slots?
There's still a long way to go before all the alliances deserve a star...

Catatonic

RE: What Is The Secret Of EK Success?

Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:19 pm

Quoting Glareskin (Thread starter):
Do they have better open skies agreements or more slots?

Perhaps being a carrier in a land where oil is plentiful would help?
Equally Cursed and Blessed.

EK156

Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:21 pm

Quoting Catatonic (Reply 1):

Dubai does NOT have any Oil as alot of you think!! They depend greatly on trade and tourism!!! So guess again please...

Catatonic

Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:31 pm

Quoting EK156 (Reply 2):
Dubai does NOT have any Oil as alot of you think!! They depend greatly on trade and tourism!!! So guess again please...

Maybe not, but it is part of the UAE which is oil rich!

Udo

Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:34 pm

Quoting Catatonic (Reply 1):

Wrong guess.

Quoting Catatonic (Reply 3):

Yeah, it's part of the UAE, so it must be full of oil...why care about facts when once can draw fast conclusions...  Yeah sure

Regards
Udo
Me & You & a Plane Named Blue...

jorge1812

Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:39 pm

Maybe they offer lot good routes for fair fares. EK is also intended to take place in the master plan to develop Dubai to a tourism and trading area when the ran out of fuel. So, many people stopover in Dubai on the way from A to B without paying much more.

Georg.

P.S.: Oil/money was helpful in their history too.

geoffm

Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:42 pm

Better than average service quality, slightly lower than average fares, and a 24 hour connecting hub in a geographically well positioned point.

Geoff M.

EK156

Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:49 pm

Quoting Catatonic (Reply 3):

Even though it is part of the UAE, Dubai still operates as an independant entity. So they do not get or rely on the Oil or Gas Resources of the other states nor would the other state give it to them for FREE??!!!!

So even though Dubai is part of the UAE, all the expenses incurred by Dubai are paid by Dubai... so the Oil in the UAE "DOES NOT" pay for EK's bills nor does pay any of Dubai's Bills. It depends greatly on Free and Open Trade and Tourism. Not on Oil. So the Oil factor is null here!!

Maybe it helped setup Dubai, but Dubai never had massive Oil resources like other states. Their leaders were very smart to realize this and turn it into what it is today without depending on Oil... I SALUTE THEM!!!

karan69

Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:55 pm

I hear they utilize their DXB hub in one of the most efficient manners and have a connecting time on most trunk routes of less than 2-3 hrs.

Does anyone have a link to their Hub operations and facilities at DXB. It would be of great help to me. PLEASE.

Glareskin
Topic Author

Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:56 pm

Please, let's stop the oil discussion. Even if that was a start-up help for EK, money is not the reason for their success. Obviously they have a very strong business model. Good service, modern fleet with the best aircraft of each segment, competitive prices and the best looking flight attendants (female!) I've ever seen. But they seem to do better than others who have a similar model. My question was if they have other advantages like more slots or better open skies agreements between Dubai and other countries.

Catatonic

Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:19 pm

Quoting Udo (Reply 4):
Yeah, it's part of the UAE, so it must be full of oil...why care about facts when once can draw fast conclusions...

Quoting EK156 (Reply 7):
Even though it is part of the UAE, Dubai still operates as an independant entity. So they do not get or rely on the Oil or Gas Resources of the other states nor would the other state give it to them for FREE??!!!!

So your saying that EK has NEVER benefited from oil in the UAE in ANY way that could set them apart from other airlines such as those in the west at ANY time?

Catatonic

Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:22 pm

Quoting Udo (Reply 4):
...why care about facts when once can draw fast conclusions...

Oh and by the way Udo, I merely said it was HELPFUL! Perhaps it is not just me that is drawing the fastest conclusions!

Udo

Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:29 pm

Quoting Catatonic (Reply 11):
Oh and by the way Udo, I merely said it was HELPFUL! Perhaps it is not just me that is drawing the fastest conclusions!

Your comment suggested oil to be the answer to the initial question about EK's success, completely ignoring all other more important aspects.

Regards
Udo

richardw

Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:51 pm

Do they have 3-4-3 economy seating on some of their B777s? perhaps by packing them in is a secret to their success?

GLAGAZ

Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:59 pm

They operate a long haul fleet only  Smile I think I'm right in saying long haul generates quite a lot of money compared to short haul.

1) You charge passengers more
2) You only land once or twice a day
3) You don't need to pay ground crews to work on your aircraft (fuel/baggage) constantly

I guess there are many reasons, but I think thats definately one  Smile

Gaz
Neutrality means that u don't really care cos the struggle goes on even when ur not there, blind and unaware

Udo

Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:59 pm

Quoting Richardw (Reply 13):
Do they have 3-4-3 economy seating on some of their B777s? perhaps by packing them in is a secret to their success?

They have 3-4-3 on all B777s, but that doesn't explain their success. They operated many years without B777s and today only 25 aircraft out of a fleet of 71 are B777s.

Regards
Udo

FlySSC

Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:23 pm

EK is nothing but another "prestigious toy" of the bored local powerful Emirs.

Success is quite easy when you have :

- Endless financial backing from the Governement
- Monopoly in the management and operations of your homebase (DXB)
- No taxes, no landing fees at your base
- Ridiculous "symbolic" fuel price (nobody can decently believe that EK is paying 60$ the barril of fuel !)
- a "certain" opacity in your accountantcy, results, figures, etc...
- no real competitors in your "natural" market (the Gulf) except Gulf Air that was almost bankrupt and really badly managed.

But this situation should change very soon with EK's rivals like Etihad or Qatar airways arriving on the same market : now EK will have to fight with competitors using the same doubtful arms...and EK's developpement should slow down significantly or, at least, shouldn' be as spectacular as it was until now.

AlanUK

Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:16 pm

Easy:

Almost limitless money pouring from the Government and Emirs. Remember that Dubai, or the UAE, is desperatly trying to be a huge tourism attraction, hence why the government sends unlimited cash to ensure huge traffic to the capital.

No matter what people say about fuel, EK has very good "deals" on fuel...

Low cost base at DXB

OHLHD

Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:16 pm

Quoting FlySSC (Reply 16):

Very well said!!!!!

By the way: Maybe it is just rumor, but Etihad as the "Official Carrier of the UAE" is demanding some routes from EK, incl NRT as only national carriers are allowed in Tokyo and also slots to/from London.

Anyway, EK is not bad, will get competion by Ethiad and Qatar Airways, which is not bad either,but there is not much left for expanding to new destinations.

Catatonic

Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:19 pm

(nobody can decently believe that EK is paying 60$ the barril of fuel !)

My sentiments exactly!!

Catatonic

Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:21 pm

Udo and Ek156, you are still yet to answer my question in reply 10.....

shawnnyc

Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:47 pm

I think the reasons are:

1) Financial support from the government (there is very little visability in EK's finances).

2) EK effectively exploits under served or highly restrictive markets like UK-OZ, Inida, etc. They are literally in the middle of a lot of these types of markets. Now with so many countries liberalizing bilaterals, it will be interesting to see if EK holds onto the pax it got.

3) Dubai was able to sign very open bilaterals because they needed to protect very little natural travel to Dubai. So with liberal bilaterals, EK was able to build a great hub which has multiple flights into many major cities (thus having low connecting times).

avek00

Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:50 pm

1. Based in a market effectively restricted by a combination of regulatory and operational issues.

2. Ultra-low labor costs due to expansion of labor supply via importation.

3. "Bulk buying" approach maintains lower unit costs.

4. DXB hub well-positioned for connectivity with many parts of the world.

That said, Emirates will come under increasing attack as points #1, #2, and #4 become less applicable or relevant.
Live life to the fullest.

mandala499

Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:11 pm

Their success...
1. A very strong business model (the politically correct answer...)
2. A strong financial backing (plus "good accounting policy")
3. Good market support (effective control over the air industry assets/infrastructure of Dubai).
4. Modify #1 to maximise the use of #2 and #3.

Just like Qatar Airways' mission... "to beat EK at all cost"... you need #1-#4.

Just any of those components will not be enough.

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

mariner

Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:28 pm

Emirates is not the only airline getting benefits from Dubai's position in the world:

http://www.ameinfo.com/63489.html

And I would guess - stress "guess" - that Sri Lankan is not getting any special deal on UAE oil.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

Glareskin
Topic Author

Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:37 pm

Quoting Mariner (Reply 24):
Emirates is not the only airline getting benefits from Dubai's position in the world

So Dubai as a hub plays a big role in their succes?

EK156

Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:22 pm

Quoting AlanUK (Reply 17):
Almost limitless money pouring from the Government and Emirs. Remember that Dubai, or the UAE, is desperatly trying to be a huge tourism attraction, hence why the government sends unlimited cash to ensure huge traffic to the capital.

Quoting OHLHD (Reply 18):
Very well said!!!!!

Quoting Catatonic (Reply 20):
Udo and Ek156, you are still yet to answer my question in reply 10.....

EK is NOT a toy for rich Emirs..cause if it was then we can say Virgin is a toy for Richard Branson... and maybe one day Bill Gates will start his own airline and it will be his toy!! Or how about Kingfischer Airlines? It is owned by a very rich Indian Business man or a group of businessmen.. I am astonished at what I read!!! I am 100% sure that if anyone of you is a successful business man and had the capacity to start an airline, then nothing would stop you!!! That is exactly what Emirates is... It is a successful business venture. And it is as legitimate as all other airlines all over the world.. AND NO... the government DOES NOT give EK money... this has been discussed a million times before people... STOP SAYING THINGS YOU NO NOTHIN ABOUT!!!

EK was made to push Dubai forward through trade and tourism. The Rulers of Dubai are clever and shrewd businessmen who put together a big plan for Dubai, one of them being Emirates. However, EK is self-sufficient! Besides the original investment made in 1985 by the government as a shareholder, EK never received government backing. Have you ever heard of something called LOANS??? Or more presice.. BANK LOANS????

Also EK is lucky to have an excellent hub:

1) 24 hours operation
2) Strategic geographical position
3) Low Labour cost
4) Zero Tax
5) NO UNIONS... so no strikes
6) Open Skies Policy
and much much more.....

As for the Oil....

Ridiculous "symbolic" fuel price (nobody can decently believe that EK is paying 60$ the barril of fuel !)

It seems like you know more about EK oil purchases than anyone else!!! FYI, I got my PPL liscence from Emirates Training School which is based at Dubai Airport and the fuel used on the Pipers we flew was plane or Jet Fuel and it was MUCH MORE expensive than what it was selling in the US. I think back in 1999 we paid USD 4-5 per gallon while in the USA the price was USD 1 per Gallon. I couldn't understand how that was until they explained to me that Jet Fuel was produced in the US and shipped to Dubai. I am not particularily sure why but this is how it was.

And as an Airline, EK might be paying less fuel in Dubai because it is Cheaper!! BUT when they are on a turnaround or layover they refuel right??? So they pay the same fuel price as all other airlines... and when airlines are refueling in Dubai they pay the same fuel price as EK does. This is what I know. If that has changed then please enlighten me!

If you people are just out there to Bash EK then say so clearly, don't say uncalled for remarks like Toys for the Emirs!!! What the hell do you know about Dubai?? Have you ever been here? Dubai is a successful business city like Singapore and Hong Kong... let's have a bit of respect and constructive discussions and critism please...

Stop the uncalled for remarks!!!

Zweed

Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:32 pm

dude, relax. you will give yourself a heart attack

7LBAC111

Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:33 pm

No matter what people say about fuel, EK has very good "deals" on fuel...

How can you possibly know this to state it so categorically?

7LBAC111
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

EK156

Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:34 pm

Quoting Zweed (Reply 27):

Hehehehehe...ur post was the best in this whole thread!!! lol

JRadier

Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:35 pm

Quoting EK156 (Reply 26):
And it is as legitimate as all other airlines all over the world.. AND NO... the government DOES NOT give EK money

4) Zero Tax

Last time I checked most airlines have to pay taxes, so this is definately a government advantage for EK. Allthough the government doesn't 'give' EK money, they do give EK an financial advantage.
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and ther

7LBAC111

Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:39 pm

And as an Airline, EK might be paying less fuel in Dubai because it is Cheaper!! BUT when they are on a turnaround or layover they refuel right??? So they pay the same fuel price as all other airlines... and when airlines are refueling in Dubai they pay the same fuel price as EK does. This is what I know. If that has changed then please enlighten me!

Good point and one thatis always overlooked (or conveniently forgotten!?)

7LBAC111
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

EK156

Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:45 pm

Quoting JRadier (Reply 30):
Last time I checked most airlines have to pay taxes, so this is definately a government advantage for EK. Allthough the government doesn't 'give' EK money, they do give EK an financial advantage.

The whole system in Dubai works on Zero Direct Tax. There is no Income or any sort of Direct Company Taxes. This applies to all companies in Dubai, not only to EK or airlines in general I mean. All of the companies in Dubai pay indirect taxes like annual registration fees, municipality fees and other fees. But there are no direct tax on income. So maybe alot of the airlines should relocate to Dubai. That is why we have the Dubai Internet City, Media City and all the new projects that give you 100% ownership and Zero Tax!!!

Only tax we have is customs tax and that is 5% which is on commodities! So EK and all other companies in Dubai benefit from ZERO tax in income. That is clearly not a financial advantage from the government to EK. It is a policy that is implemented on all companies in Dubai regardless of the nature of their business

BHXFAOTIPYYC

Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:49 pm

OK, try not to kill each other people!!!

I forget the name of who was tasked with building EK from the ground up, but I know he wasn't given unlimited funds. EK had to make money from the get-go. The same guy has now building up another Middle Eastern airline in somewhere like Qatar or Oman. Just because it's called the UNITED Arab Emirates doesn't mean it is!! The 7 Emirates are very different - some are even quite poor. A couple forbit alcohol. Abu Dhabi has 90% of the oil in the UAE, Dubai has about 9 years worth of oil left which is why they are going all out to build tourism. Etihad is trying to duplicate EK in terms of success, and thereafter crush it if it could. There is no love lost between them at all. In fact half the MidEast is trying to duplicate EK - Qatar Airways, GulfAir etc. I was in DXB for the first time back in January, and although I thought it was a bit more like Florida than Arabia I really enjoyed it. They are an example of what the MidEast could be like, and whilst hardly perfect, its a damn good start.
Breakfast in BHX, lunch in FAO, dinner in TIP, baggage in YYC.

Planesmart

Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:47 pm

- Endless financial backing from the Governement

Almost limitless money pouring from the Government and Emirs.

Quoting Shawnnyc (Reply 21):
1) Financial support from the government (there is very little visability in EK's finances).

Quoting Mandala499 (Reply 23):
2. A strong financial backing (plus "good accounting policy")

Given the above, I have no idea why they fund their business with bank loans, and lease aircraft.

As for tax, rest easy, there are plenty of airlines enjoying effective tax rates close to zero.

Trolley Dolley

Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:13 pm

The secret to the EK success is good business strategy. Firstly the DXB hub is the first in the world that can reach any major city non stop with current technology. The likes of SIN, LON, LAX etc still have points that can't be reached in one go. This means it can offer one connection services for cities pairs as diverse as Birmingham and Auckland or Manila and Lagos. The hub lies at the natural mid point between the most populated countries and the wealthiest countries, capturing the flows of investment and VFR/overseas work traffic. It has targeted somewhat under served ethnic markets and services to secondary cities. EK has a habit of starting and maintaining schedules too. In the gulf wars some flights were altered for safety, but it never undertook major service reductions. It offers Multiple daily flights as the norm to increase connection opportunities. It has focused on the Y class product that most pax fly, while offering below market rates for the front end. (I can see this changing though) It can offer low seat mile costs through economies of scale and efficient work practices. It has been innovative, such as extending the "PNR" concept to better track cargo or offering mid-air faxes and PTV's in all classes.

The ruling family of DXB set up EK to serve their country. In many ways its business model matches that of the SQ success. The development of the SIN hub helped lead to the development of the SIN tourism industry as a whole. The tax system in DXB might give it an advantage, but not enough to explain its continued and sustained PROFITABLE growth.

Basically that is also the secret to its success, it actually makes money. But that is hardly a secret to business success, is it?

jacobin777

Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:08 pm

Good service and a good overall experience at a decent fare!!

[Edited 2005-07-04 07:28:31]
"Up the Irons!"

AR1300

Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:17 pm

trying to be a huge tourism attraction

Why the hell would you go to Dubai for Tourism??
To see the Rich??Go to Beverly Hills.
To See a desert??Go to Egypt
To see the sea?? Go to Tahiti
To shop?? Go to NYC
To see anew culture and meet different people??
a)Go to China
b)you don't want to meet them.They are reacious to western culture.Even though they are more open minded than another Arab Nations.

So the well positioned Hub idea will do for now.

Mike

[Edited 2005-07-04 07:20:00]

[Edited 2005-07-04 07:20:28]
You are now free to move about the cabin

ekgold

Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:22 pm

Quoting PlaneSmart (Reply 34):
Given the above, I have no idea why they fund their business with bank loans, and lease aircraft.

Superb response......

The usual monthly EK bash.... and the same ill informed responses about oil, financial reports, endless financing, Sheikh's (Not Emirs!!) toys, free fuel, no handling charges and the list goes on.... why let the truth get in the way of a good old EK bash...

I fly excessive amounts of miles from Dubai and you certainly bemoan the times when you cant get an EK connection. What's the secret to their success???? In part people WANT to fly on EK a/c. I want to fly on their aircraft... They're new, clean, service is good, even the 3 4 3 seats on the T7 are reasonably comfortable. i get the connections i want from Dubai. So must thousands of others or is it my imagination that almost every seat has a bum on it... But we will still have another 50 or so posts from the "informed" about EK really being a an airline that just cant be successful in its own right.

Quoting Zweed (Reply 27):

EK156, take a deep breath before and after you read forums like this.... it will do you the world of good...

masseybrown

Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:22 pm

Dubai intends to function as a Singapore/Hong Kong-style entity for the Persian (Arabian?) Gulf? Don't they have competition for that role? I believe Qatar and Bahrain have similar ideas.

The Gulf region is the closest thing to the fictional planet Dune I've ever seen on earth. I wish them luck with tourism on a scale large enough to fill the planes on order. Maybe they can develop a spice trade.  Wink

jacobin777

Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:30 pm

Quoting AR1300 (Reply 37):
Why the hell would you go to Dubai for Tourism??
To see the Rich??Go to Beverly Hills.
To See a desert??Go to Egypt
To see the sea?? Go to Tahiti
To shop?? Go to NYC
To see anew culture and meet different people??
a)Go to China
b)you don't want to meet them.They are reacious to western culture.Even though they are more open minded than another Arab Nations.

So the well positioned Hub idea will do for now.

Mike

then don't go..your not the voice for 4+ billion people... sarcastic 

and some of your comments are about as ignorant and inane as they come!
"Up the Irons!"

AR1300

Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:34 pm

So please explain.I posted my point of view.I would like to know why wolud anyone else go, as to me there is nothing to do.But if there is, and I don't know, please explain and pardon my ignorance.

Mike

LHSTR

Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:39 pm

Maybe it is better to compare Emirates, how it was 10 years ago, with the ones like Qatar Airways and Etihad.

Personally, I have no idea, how one can finance a 60 to 100 plane expansion from the cash flows generated by operating very few planes. There is no way of doing of financing this from within the existing airline operation.

This leads somehow to the fact that all of them have access to a lot of fresh capital, not necessarely as a subsidy, but owners pouring in new money.

Another point.
Maybe somebody is able to explain to me the organisational construct with Emirates and the airport being one company. While I am not sure if they are used, there are many cross subsidizing options possible.
Is there competition available for airport operations, catering, etc. ? Last time I was there I did not see any other catering company and all airport staff was handeld employed by the airport.

ekgold

Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:44 pm

Quoting AR1300 (Reply 41):
So please explain.I posted my point of view.I would like to know why wolud anyone else go, as to me there is nothing to do.But if there is, and I don't know, please explain and pardon my ignorance.

got it in one, "your ignorance"...

DO some research and then ask yourself the question again. Look at
GDP growth, tourism growth and tourism industry spending, phenominal expansion in retail activities, population growth, commercial and residential building activity, the number of multinational companies setting up in the trade free zones here, the new gold and commodities exchange just about to open. that should be a good start...

make sure your point of view is somewhat informed before making it...

AR1300

Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:48 pm

Easy,Tiger.Got you.
Didn't know all that.For us down here Dubai is an exotic far, far,far away place unherd of, as in the middle of the desert.
Again, pardon my ignorance.No intention whatsoever to offend anyone.
Take it easy.Life's better that way.

Mike

Edited to add that is 3:00 am overhere and I'm not in the mood of a research.

[Edited 2005-07-04 07:52:04]

ekgold

Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:51 pm

puuuuurrrrrrrrrrr

as is Argentina to me....

AR1300

Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:53 pm

So I officially invite you to see and tour our wonderfull(and very cheap) country.  Wink

Mike

ekgold

Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:00 pm

Sounds great.... As soon as EK fly direct..... Big grin

AR1300

Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:09 pm

The govt actually had some talks with Dubai for this.But If I remember correctly, they were to make a stopover in S.Africa.So we'll have to wait  Wink

Mike

beauing

Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:14 pm

Quote:
Why the hell would anyone go to Dubai?

To change planes?

Quoting AR1300 (Reply 37):
They are reacious to western culture.Even though they are more open minded than another Arab Nations.

What does reacious mean?