ba777-236

YYZ Constellation.. What's It's Status?

Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:06 pm

If you live, or have been near Pearson Airport within the last couple of years, you'll know about this L-1049:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Andy Graf - VAP
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Den Pascoe

My question is, what is up with this plane?

I have heard conflicting views about it's future in Toronto. One says that some museums in the US are looking to purchase this, while another has an owner just parking the plane exactly where it is. And yet another, says it's up for sale!

Anyone here know the real story?  Confused
I like British Airways! I'm not sure why, but I do! ;-)

boac707

RE: YYZ Constellation.. What's It's Status?

Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:18 am

This aircraft used to be in front of the Constellation Hotel, a mile or so east of the ariport, for a short while and then it was moved to it's present location. I doubt it is worth salvaging, but it's parts maybe valuable for any restoration project out there.
smokey classics to the end of time

ba777-236

Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:36 am

Quoting BOAC707 (Reply 1):
I doubt it is worth salvaging, but it's parts maybe valuable for any restoration project out there.

Well no, it's probably not all that airworthy anymore, but she still looks wonderful. I just saw it several days ago, and short of a new painting job, it looks prestine.

I'm really curious to know what the current owner(s) plan on doing with this plane....
I like British Airways! I'm not sure why, but I do! ;-)

Olympus69

Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:44 am

Quoting BOAC707 (Reply 1):
I doubt it is worth salvaging, but it's parts maybe valuable for any restoration project out there.

Why do you say that? It looks to be in pretty good shape externally. I don't know what it's like inside - it was used as a restaurant until a couple of years ago.

slawko

Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:59 am

HAHA you couldnt restore it to flying condition, the wings have been clipped and shortened....

A few years back when the restaurant closed it was for sale, the were asking about $6 hundred grand for it, not sure you could get that much if you sold it for scrap....its been gutted so its not of much other use...
"Clive Beddoe says he favours competition, but his actions do not support that idea." Robert Milton - CEO Air Canada

longhauler

Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:34 am

The only thing of great importance in the aircraft right now is the interior. A lot of Connie restoration projects would love to get a hold of the cabin panels, window frames, bathroom and galley fixtures, etc. The seats were non-period, but a lot of the rest of the cabin/cockpit was!

As far as the rest of the airframe ... well, it was pretty well made non flyable when it was made into a restaurant.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

Olympus69

Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:02 pm

Quoting Slawko (Reply 4):
HAHA you couldnt restore it to flying condition, the wings have been clipped and shortened....

I wasn't thinking about restoring it to flying condition. I thought that maybe the NAM in Ottawa might be interested since it is a former TCA plane.

vc10

Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:47 pm

If you go,to the web site below and select 1049 you will find it's history if not it's future
Little vc10

http://www.conniesurvivors.com/CF-RNR.htm