f.pier

In Which Alliance Would You Like To See El Al?

Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:24 am

I think it would fit into OneWorld because of the better relationship with that country.

By the way I don't think El Al can operate in a global alliance better than it does alone.

What do you think?

777klm

RE: In Which Alliance Would You Like To See El Al?

Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:38 am

Currently El Al has code-sharing agreements with American Airlines, Delta Air Lines and Swiss International Air Lines. So that's OneWorld, Skyteam and Star Alliance! I agree with you that El Al won't opereate any better in such an alliance. And I also think that Israel won't be a good and reliable hub for a global alliance.

[Edited 2005-07-03 17:39:50]
Next flight: AMS - BCN - EZE

Chiguire

Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:45 am

Quoting 777KLM (Reply 1):
I agree with you that El Al won't opereate any better in such an alliance. And I also think that Israel won't be a good and reliable hub for a global alliance.

So do I ! I just think that the security standard that EL AL would require can not be fulfilled by any other Alliance member. They might even don't want to fulfill them as it is too expensive.
I don't see LY in any Alliance.

keno

Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:14 am

I honestly can't see the benefits of LY joining any alliance in terms of the destinations that it can offer to other alliance members, except providing better access and codeshare opportunities to TLV market itself. LY's strength lies almost entirely west of Israel (europe + north america) so I don't see much conneting possibilities without much backtracking except for perhaps Greece/Eastern Europe. If you're talking about NBO, JNB, BKK, BOM etc, these markets are already well covered by other alliance members.

7LBAC111

Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:18 am

Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

ckfred

Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:24 am

Despite the fact that TLV is LY's base of operations, it is not a connecting hub. LY's operations is designed to fly people into and out of TLV.

Even if Israel were able to improve relations with other countries in the Middle East, many of whom are still technically at war with Israel, I can't see LY turning TLV into a hub for the region. The demands of Israeli aviation security simply won't permit a hub and spoke operation.

That said, LY is better off simply maintaining code-share arrangements with other carriers