workbench

RE: American Airlines Digs Deep To Save Fuel

Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:28 am

The title should read... "Stick a fork in American, they are done!"
With the upcomming repeal of the Wright, and oil set to top $70 a barrell, they cannot avoid a CH11 filing.

SPREE34

Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:52 am

Saving on fuel is a good idea. That being said, AA pilots are starting to give us (ATC) a bit of "back talk" and "alternate suggestions" when we vector for spacing. Seems in AA's world of planning they seem to forget there are other users in the picture as well. Spacing, we use turns to get it, then speeds to keep it, or sometimes a combination. They can be a pain and use up radio time which we don't always have a lot of.

"AAxxx turn right heading 140 for spacing" "AAxxx roger can we slow down instead?" Not until I have you in the slot without screwing the entire world behind you.

"AAxxx increase to .78 mach for spacing" "AAxxx roger that's gonna put us tight on fuel, can we slow instead?" Slow instead? Great. What about the 29 other aircraft in trail of him/her overtaking him/her. Some have just adjusted their speeds without telling us, next thing you know there is another aircraft overtaking them by 90 knots and Conflict Alert starts flashing.

We (ATC and Crew) need more off air direct dialog. Unfortunatly FAA and TSA don't think that's important anymore.

Rant ends now.
I don't understand everything I don't know about this.

OPNLguy

Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:06 am

AA is doing what we all are doing; nothing really new....

Some fuel costs from the ATL paper today...

$$SOURCE: Atlanta-Journal Constitution and BACK Aviation Solutions 7/3/05:

AIRLINE FUEL COST PER AV. SEAT MILE

JBLU 1.52
LUV 1.64
CAL 1.72
US AIR 1.75
UAL 1.78
AWA 1.81
ALK 1.86
AAI 1.88
FRONTIER 1.88
DAL 1.89
AMR 1.98
NWAC 2.17
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Birdwatching

Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:13 am

I've always wondered: Why can't the pushback go all the way to the runway? Wouldn't that save a bunch of gallons?
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

trident2e

Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:13 am

I remember that Air Europe pilots (of the defunct British carrier) used to test the patience of ATC just as described above. ATC's solution was to ask the Captain to declare a fuel emergency if he/she couldn't comply with instructions - apparently this put a stop to the practice.

commavia

Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:26 am

Quoting Workbench (Reply 1):
The title should read... "Stick a fork in American, they are done!" With the upcomming repeal of the Wright, and oil set to top $70 a barrell, they cannot avoid a CH11 filing.

I'll dispense with my usual replies to your laughable comments, but to tell you this -- you really, seriously, need to get a clue.

777STL

Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:38 am

With the upcomming repeal of the Wright, and oil set to top $70 a barrell, they cannot avoid a CH11 filing.

Oil will not be topping $70 anytime soon.
PHX based

jumbojet

Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:50 am

On a side note, anothe way of cost saving is what Song does. By having only 199 available seats for purchase on there 757-200 fleet, they need one less flight attendant on board compared to a 200 seat config on the same plane.

luv2fly

Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:56 am

Or have some of those International guys and gals get back to the weight when they were hired and that right there would be a fuel savings.......
You can cut the irony with a knife

Wayfarer

Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:00 am

Ouch ... fuel price is skyrocketing! AA is seriously in trouble and they are working on it... not overnight problem solving issue.
EASTERN AIRLINES: We Are Still Here Today

ckfred

Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:28 am

Workbench:

AA is by no stretch of the imagination done. First, it has $3.5 billion ($3,500,000,000) in cash.

Second, repeal of the Wright Amendment is by no means assured. It must get through the House, and that means having the support of Tom DeLay, the majority leader. If he is opposed to repeal, then it won't happen. It also has to get through the Senate, and if both Senators from Texas are against repeal, it won't get done.

Remember, the Senate could not pass a bill authorizing the expansion of ORD, because Sen. Fitzgerald, the waterboy for the whining surburbanites around ORD, held up the bill.

And does anyone know how the President feels about repeal of the W.A.? If I remember correctly, W. flew to Washington on an AA 737 to meet with Bill Clinton after he was officially made the winner of the 2000 election. AA management has contributed a lot to W.'s campaigns. My guess is that if the bill to repeal the W.A. is sent to the White House, there will be some big-time lobbying by AA.

Last, there are a lot of oil traders who think the bubble is about to burst on oil, and that it will fall to $40 a barrel by December. There are even some who think it could go as low as $35.

whitehatter

Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:31 am

Quoting Ckfred (Reply 12):
Last, there are a lot of oil traders who think the bubble is about to burst on oil, and that it will fall to $40 a barrel by December. There are even some who think it could go as low as $35.

the same ones who said oil would never reach $60?

Been here before....
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

TUNisia

Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:37 am

Would that get you off or something? You seem to troll the forums looking for oppurtunities to bash AA and other legacy carriers. What gives?

As others have mentioned AA has enough in the bank, as well as smart people working for them to see through these time of increasing prices of oil.
Someday the sun will shine down on me in some faraway place - Mahalia Jackson

isitsafenow

Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:48 am

The cash on hand thing isnt as good as I once thought. My fav, NWA has 2.1 billion dollars on hand BUT apx just over half is borrowed. This is also true with DL, UAL, HP, and AA. The problem with borrowed $$$ is that is has to be paid back....with interest.
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

sccutler

Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:33 am

Quoting Commavia (Reply 7):
The title should read... "Stick a fork in American, they are done!" With the upcomming repeal of the Wright, and oil set to top $70 a barrell, they cannot avoid a CH11 filing.

I'll dispense with my usual replies to your laughable comments, but to tell you this -- you really, seriously, need to get a clue.

Commavia and I agree here- while I think Wright is, in the long term, dead, there is no way AA fails. Nor should they.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

commavia

Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:41 am

Second, repeal of the Wright Amendment is by no means assured.

This is absolutely right. While (pretty much) everyone here on A.net is basically referring to Wright in the past tense and already planning its funeral, the reality is that, IMO, its repeal right now has about as much chance of passing as of not passing. It's about 50/50. Sure, all the aviation buffs here want it repealed, but the people who actually matter -- the Cities of Dallas and Fort Worth, and the Texas Congressional delegation, are almost universally mum on the prospect of repeal, largely because they are waiting to see the response from their constituents. Understandably, the Fort Worth Congressman are viciously opposed to repeal, while the Dallas ones want it, and the City of Fort Worth obviously opposes repeal. While it is absolutely a possibility that Wright will be repealed, it is also a very real possibility that it doesn't. We'll all just have to wait and see.

W. flew to Washington on an AA 737 to meet with Bill Clinton after he was officially made the winner of the 2000 election. AA management has contributed a lot to W.'s campaigns. My guess is that if the bill to repeal the W.A. is sent to the White House, there will be some big-time lobbying by AA.

While W. did fly to DC back in 2000 from AUS on an AA 738, most of his political ties were to AA's former leadership, namely Carter, who was a big Bush doner. While AA historically has been closer to Republican presidents, and while AA does have a fairly good lobbying history with this administration, I do think that if a bill with Wright's repeal in it -- whether as the main bill or as a rider -- landed on Bush's desk, he would sign it. As for AA's lobbying, it is already happening and its aimed much more at the Congressman and Senators who will actually vote on the bill rather than the President who will just sign it.

N801NW

Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:45 am

Last year UA had the pilots drop from 524mph to 516 on the Ted flights as they were coming in a couple of minutes early anyway. Thus they burnt less fuel and still arrived on time. (In theory anyway.)

ikramerica

Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:45 am

CO has $2 billion on hand. Not sure how much of that is borrowed.

Then again, unless an airline is without debt, isn't all cash on hand "borrowed" to some degree?
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

Jonathan L

Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:18 am

That's the most nonsensical thing I've read lately. No "bubble" is going to burst because demand for oil is still very high even at these record prices. If everybody is already accustomed to paying this much for it, why are the oil companies going to suddenly get all softhearted and offer it for a fair price again? It's not going to happen, especially given the USA's current foreign, economic, and energy policies.

flyibaby

Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:11 am

Quoting Jonathan L (Reply 20):

That's the most nonsensical thing I've read lately. No "bubble" is going to burst because demand for oil is still very high even at these record prices. If everybody is already accustomed to paying this much for it, why are the oil companies going to suddenly get all softhearted and offer it for a fair price again? It's not going to happen, especially given the USA's current foreign, economic, and energy policies.

Ckfred actually makes a very vaild point. If you remember early last month, gas prices had receded in most parts of the country about 15-20 cents a gallon. The reason was because speculators in the market were selling and thus not running up the prices anymore. Now prices are back up for two reasons: A. Election in Iran -even though we don't buy a drop of oil from them and B. Situation with Chavez in Venezuela where we do buy a decent amount of oil. Analysts with most media networks all agree oil could drop to around $35-40 because capacity is out handling consumption.

vivek0072

Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:17 am

American Airlines Digs Deep To Save Fuel or shoud I say American Airlines Digs Deep To Search for Fuel.... Big grin
That life's most failures were people who did not realise how close they were to success when they gave up. - Edison.

ikramerica

Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:25 am

It all depends on the heat this August and if there is an early cold spell this fall in the Northern Hemisphere, since energy use is driven by the northern hemisphere.

So far the temps in SoCal have been lower than the last few years, but if things change, local energy prices could rise on demand, and of course it's all related.

Also, the value of the dollar makes a difference, too, and the dollar has been rising a bit (as the US economy is slowing). With the price of oil related to the dollar, and the dollar losing a lot of value in the last few years, that helps boost the price of oil, if not the REAL cost of oil.

Anyone have a chart that shows the price of oil over the last 3 years in EUROs rather than dollars?

cjpark

Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:43 am

WN is supposedly hedged until 2009. That is according to its financial statements.

Because WN has so aggressively purchased fuel deliveries it has given itself a highly competitive position enabling it to keep ticket prices down. However WN boon has been the fuel distributors folly. I wonder how WN and the other airlines will be able to hedge against fuel prices when the market is so volatile. I wonder how many distributors will be bankrupt before the WN contracts run out.
"Any airline that wants to serve the [region] can go to DFW today and fly anywhere they want," WN spokesman Ed Stewart

SkyexRamper

Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:20 pm

YX has come up with some helpful guidelines for the pilots to use to help save fuel. For example, taxing to and from the runway with only one engine if possible. Also minimizing the use of the APU and keep their cruize speeds down a little instead of the typical max cruize. Saves on gas but only adds on a few more mins.
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

AR1300

Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:31 pm

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 5):
I've always wondered: Why can't the pushback go all the way to the runway? Wouldn't that save a bunch of gallons?

yeah, but it will take longer for planes to get there, thus making the schedules longer.Plus, Pushback trucks don't run on air....  Wink

Mike
You are now free to move about the cabin

Flying-Tiger

Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:34 pm

Refinery capacity is currently the problem, not oil field capacity. Most refineries are running at 98-99% capacity, barely any space left. If you've one unscheduled downtime you'll have a situation where demand outstrips supply... that's the reason why most refineries are currently looking into pushing back scheduled maintenance times to ease the strech.

Ah - and building new ones is no solution in the short term as the average lead-time for a new refinery is about 4-5 years... besides, expect demand to remain high, with both China and India demanding more and more fuel. Thus USD 70 per barrel isn't too unlikely to remain at this level.
Flown: A319/320/321,A332/3,A380,AT4,AT7,B732/3/4/5/7/8,B742/4,B762/763,B772,CR2,CR7,ER4,E70,E75,F50/70,M11,L15,S20

ikramerica

Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:43 pm

Oil price does not depend on refineries. Fuel price does.

China and India will build more refineries as they need them. It's Europe and the US that are in deeper straights because our environmental groups are preventing new refineries, power plants, oil exploration, etc. even when not really posing environmental threats.

commavia

Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:49 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 28):
It's Europe and the US that are in deeper straights because our environmental groups are preventing new refineries, power plants, oil exploration, etc. even when not really posing environmental threats.

So true. There is years worth of oil sitting up in Alaska but the U.S. can't get to it because environmentalists have everyone convinced (fooled) that it poses a threat to the environment and wildlife.

milemaster

Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:13 pm

Haha.. You really do believe what you say. You probably don't even know what CH 11 is since you're referring to AA as "Done" as CH11 wouldn't be an indication of that.

Take your Ritalin and get back to your workbench.

N160LH

Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:16 pm

Quoting Cjpark (Reply 24):
WN is supposedly hedged until 2009

I thought it was 2006 not 2009....? Can anyone confirm when WN current fuel hedge runs out?

N160LH
"I do alright up in the air, its down on the ground that I tend to mess up..."

OPNLguy

Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:18 pm

Quoting N160LH (Reply 31):
Can anyone confirm when WN current fuel hedge runs out?

ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

ALB2ATL

Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:20 pm

Quoting Commavia (Reply 29):
So true. There is years worth of oil sitting up in Alaska but the U.S. can't get to it because environmentalists have everyone convinced (fooled) that it poses a threat to the environment and wildlife.

confused 

Years worth? I don't think so. The fields in Alaska have already peaked!

md11dude

Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:27 pm

I have to laugh...the push- back I drive burns more than a JT8D-16...lol
I remember reading somewhere about NWA's 744's bieng towed to the runway at KAI TAK on several occasions due to flightplan, load, or density alt. etc. It seemed to work , and the a/c would save just enough of the good stuff to make the nervouse crew happy. Im guessing some of the hold times at HKG were quite lengthy at times.....
CP979

commavia

Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:59 pm

Quoting Alb2atl (Reply 33):
Years worth? I don't think so. The fields in Alaska have already peaked!

Not to get off topic, but no they haven't. The Prudhoe Bay fields, which have been feeding the Alaskan Pipeline for 30 years, are indeed nearing the end of their lives. The fields located within ANWR, however, on Alaska's Coastal Plain, are estimated to have hundreds of millions of barrels of recoverable oil.

chowder

Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:34 pm

Quoting SPREE34 (Reply 2):
Saving on fuel is a good idea. That being said, AA pilots are starting to give us (ATC) a bit of "back talk" and "alternate suggestions" when we vector for spacing.

Relates to no metal against metal...saving more bucks than AA can afford at this time.

Good work SPREE, we appreciate what you all are doing.

"Squawk Low Anytime!"

(If it was still available)

-Chowder

DeltaGuy

Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:57 pm

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 5):

Because the soles on my boots won't last that long if I have to wingwalk the beast. Doing a pushback is no faster than a brisk walking pace, if that. Imagine pushing/pulling a jet 2 miles to the opposite end of the runway. Hell, I complain when we have to go tail west from our gates at JAX to get out of the way of other incoming jets!

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

LFutia

Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:04 pm

would shutting down an engine after landing save money? i presume it would? Airlines can transfer fuel between tanks to even it out but I know KLM shuts down 1 engine after landing in Amsterdam. It cuts back on noise pollution, and it saves fuel.
Leo/ORD -- Groetjes uit de VS! -- Heeft u laatst nog met KLM gevlogen?

N276AASTT

Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:26 pm

I was wondering if AA has considered eliminating the "Powerback Reverse" from normal operations. These jets can use up a lot of fuel on the manuevers. Sometimes the parking brake doesn't release all the way and the pilot has to rev-up and idle, rev-up and idle to "rock" the jet out of the brakes. Then power up and reverse out the gate. Not all the gates at DFW are perfectly level and so some the jets have to punch the gas a bit harder than others to compensate for the slope. My point in all this is if AA stops this practice, that would be substantial savings in fuel costs. I know that only the MD-80's do this, but their fleet is several hundred + , that could save them a pretty penny I think.
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Andrew Hunt - AirTeamImages
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © ChW - Aviapix Worldwide

Dejale Caer tu el Peso! YOMO

glideslope

Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:01 pm

Quoting 777STL (Reply 7):
Oil will not be topping $70 anytime soon.

Unless you can control World Events, this statement is simply conjecture.  Smile
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.” Sun Tzu

AA 777

Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:26 pm

N276AASTT,

I think all the power backs have been cut out systemwide - DFW (like in those pictures u posted) for sure.

And again more crap from workbench....yawn

-Matt
CRJ-700 FO

jumbojet

Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:40 pm

Delta leads the industry in innovativenss. They put a few less cases of soda on board and are installing lighter seats to save on fuel. Savings can run into the tens of millions of dollars a year.

Why not elliminate the beverage carts all together, as those suckers sure weigh much more then any case of soda, just do what I have seen the European carriers do, make many trips from the galley to the cabins with drink trays. This would work on Song and, when one orders food, same thing, just bring the food out to the customer on a food tray.

ckfred

Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:21 pm

AA 777:

AA has quit doing powerbacks at ATL. In fact, to save fuel, DL is towing its trans-Atlantic departures from the gate to near the hold-short position for the departure runway. Last time I was in ATL, I saw 3 DL 767s in line to depart 28R, and they were all attached to tugs.

As for the price of oil, I'm not sure anyone knows what it will do. Some traders think that it will go down to $35 to $40 a barrel, while Goldman Sachs feels that $105 within the next 6 to 9 months is likely. To me, it just doesn't make sense, even with expanding economies in China and India, how oil has run up so high in the last 12 to 18 months. Oil is behaving more like corn and soybean prices after a severe draught hits the Great Plains and goes on for several months.

Jaxs170

Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:22 pm

Quoting MD11dude (Reply 33):
I have to laugh...the push- back I drive burns more than a JT8D-16...lol

I can assure you, towing the planes (especially the larger ones) saves a significant amount of fuel. Talking to people I know who are military pilots, they tell me that rather than tow a plane a couple hundred feet to a new parking spot or hanger, they start all the engines (these are almost all 4 engine planes), and taxi over. Cost: Anywhere from 600-2000 pounds of fuel (that's 90-300 gallons of gas at 6.7 pounds per gallon). Multiply that by the cost of a gallon and how many times it is done per year and you come up with a pretty penny lost to waste and laziness.

I believe a 777 idles on the ground at about 7000 pounds per hour per engine. Can you see now where a 15 minute delay for take off is hurting the airlines and wasting a very precious and (at the moment) expensive resource?
707, 717, 727, 732/3/4/5/6/7/8/9, 752, 762/3/4, 744, 772, MD-80/2/3/8, DC-9, F-100, A319/20/21, A333, DC-10, MD-11, ARJ,

jdaniel001

Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:51 pm

Quoting Commavia (Reply 6):

I agree.

Even though I think AA management generally sucks, they have done a great job manageing the airline through the challeges of the past few years. I think AA is doing all the right things to conserve it's assests.

And my management comment only refers to Crandell and Carty. Every time I look at a MD80, I think, "Gee, there is the plane that Crandell single handedly ruined the industry with."
We Are UNITED!

commavia

Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:01 am

Quoting Jdaniel001 (Reply 44):
Every time I look at a MD80, I think, "Gee, there is the plane that Crandell single handedly ruined the industry with."

What do you have against Crandall? He is one of the most brilliant people -- if not the single most brilliant person -- to ever rule this industry. His vision and foresight were unmatched, IMO.

RogerThat

Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:16 am

Quoting Ckfred (Reply 42):
Goldman Sachs feels that $105 within the next 6 to 9 months is likely

I believe the Goldman Sachs report to which CkFred refers opines that oil must reach this price before consumers will alter their fuel consumption habits. I believe it just by seeing all the soccer moms driving Hummers in this hood.

Quoting Jdaniel001 (Reply 44):
AA management generally sucks

And AA is financially healthiest of the Big 3 and one of the best positioned of all US legacys.

777STL

Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:50 am

Quoting Glideslope (Reply 39):
Unless you can control World Events, this statement is simply conjecture.  

It's called research. Why don't you tell me why you think oil WILL top $70/barrel by the end of the summer and I'll tell you why it won't.

Remember, oil hasn't consistently topped $60/barrel, it's close to the mid 50s right now. $70/barrel is quite a stretch. Short of World War 3, it won't be happening anytime soon.
PHX based

LMP737

Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:57 am

The airliners.net expert on airline operations/finance speaks!
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

1MillionFlyer

Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:07 am

Quoting Milemaster (Reply 29):
Take your Ritalin and get back to your workbench.

Milemaster summed it up best. LOL  Smile

I bet Workbench has that tupperware #3 cut as well.
Golf Foxtrot you are cleared for departure