Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:55 am

http://www.tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411749/595877/

I wonder what registration it was??

Trav
Planes Piloted Tecnam P2002 JF, Cessna 172R, Cessna 152, Airbus A320

VirginFlyer

RE: Light Aircraft Crash In NZ

Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:47 pm

Good to see no serious injuries to the pilots.

A bad birdstrike can bring a Cessna down - it happened a few years back at the school I am now at (I used to fly at Ardmore Flying School a number of years ago, before I moved to Australia - maybe I am bad luck lol!). A student on his first solo nav had an eagle come through the prop and the windscreen, and hit him in the face, breaking his nose. I am told that without the windscreen, the 172 loses about 20% of its lift (think of the turbulent airflow created), and it is quite a battle to fly. The student managed to put it down in a field, and he could walk away, although the aircraft was written off.

According to our chief pilot, who also had an eagle-strike, but managed to get the aircraft (a 152) back to the airfield, you need to set best rate of climb speed (i.e. maximum power excess) for the height you are at, in order to have a chance at covering any distance. With a broken nose and the wind blowing a gale in your face, I can imagine it would be very difficult. Unfortunately birds are one of those things you have little control over, other than keeping away. Certainly at low level you are much more likely to hit them. However, some birds, like eagles, will have a go at you even at altitude, and there is not much you can do about it!

V/F
"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh

NZAA
Topic Author

Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:19 pm

Yea they didnt have much height to recover as they were less than 100ft above the water/mud flats.

Interesting story,

Quoting VirginFlyer (Reply 1):
However, some birds, like eagles, will have a go at you even at altitude

HAHAHAHA  laughing 
Planes Piloted Tecnam P2002 JF, Cessna 172R, Cessna 152, Airbus A320

NZ1
Crew

Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:23 pm

The rego was ZK-TAX

NZ1
--
NZ1
Head Forum Moderator

Mr AirNZ

Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:28 pm

From what I hear a bird strike may not be entirely accurate!

VirginFlyer

Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:31 am

NZAA - I'm not kidding - certainly here, they have no natural predators, so they don't realise the danger posed to them by the shiny noisy thing which looks like it could provide a month's worth of food....

Mr AirNZ - are you able to elaborate on that?

V/F
"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh

Mr AirNZ

Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:34 pm

I don't want to speculate and i'll be the first to admit that I don't know all the details. What I have heard is the ducks are the public story for the moment. The actual story may involve excessive angle of bank at low level and a resulting stall (stall speed increases in a turn as angle of bank increases for those who aren't familiar with the physics of it all).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos