Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:56 am

Congressman Sam Johnson has an active poll running on the Wright Amendment

http://www.samjohnson.house.gov/

[Edited 2005-07-06 01:57:12]
Southeast Of Disorder

vegasplanes

RE: Cast Your Vote On The Wright Amendment

Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:00 am

I tried, the site apparently has closed voting.

Just F.Y.I.

OPNLguy

Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:04 am

It was open before for a couple of weeks before closing, and is now open again for a new poll...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

aa757first

Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:05 am

Hmm, it worked for me, Vegasplanes.

Current Poll
Should the Wright Amendment be repealed?
YES 39.61 % (366)
NO 60.39 % (558)

I am one of the 558.

AAndrew

vegasplanes

Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:12 am

Disregard reply 1, tried again and it worked,

I am number 369 on the other side Big grin

LFutia

Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:45 am

I'm one of those 403 people voting yes to repeal it.
Leo/ORD -- Groetjes uit de VS! -- Heeft u laatst nog met KLM gevlogen?

texan

Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:53 am

Currently running 404 FOR and 563 AGAINST. Of course, I ain't in his district but that's alright.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

isitsafenow

Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:57 am

I think the vote is:
Yes 39.61(WN)
No 60.39 (AA)
Is this a little more clear now?
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

PapaNovember

Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:02 am

Quoting Texan (Reply 6):
Currently running 404 FOR and 563 AGAINST. Of course, I ain't in his district but that's alright.

Texan

That's weird,

I just voted no and it still shows 563 against the repeal.

Phil...

cjpark

Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:36 am

I think the vote is:
Yes 39.61(WN)
No 60.39 (AA)
Is this a little more clear now?
safe

spool 'em up

Yes 39.61

Southwest Employees But Opie probably voted twice so the results are skewed.

No 60.39

The rest of North Texas.
"Any airline that wants to serve the [region] can go to DFW today and fly anywhere they want," WN spokesman Ed Stewart

Aloha717200

Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:43 am

REPEAL REPEAL REPEAL REPEAL!!!

Why wouldn't you want it repealed?

sllevin

Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:50 am

Quoting Aloha717200 (Reply 10):
Why wouldn't you want it repealed?

Perhaps the people living in the area, which thought they had effectively closed down DAL to commerical traffic when DFW opened (what was Southwest then, a dozen departures?) aren't interested in a 200+ departure per day airport?

Steve

RaginMav

Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:04 pm

Quoting Sllevin (Reply 11):
Perhaps the people living in the area, which thought they had effectively closed down DAL to commerical traffic when DFW opened (what was Southwest then, a dozen departures?) aren't interested in a 200+ departure per day airport?

Yeah? well they can sit on it

BTW, that Sam Johnson guy looks REALLY old, I'm talkin keel over at any second, not wake up tomorrow morning, mothballs in the underpants old!

exFATboy

Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:12 pm

Current Results:

People Who Think That Dallas Needs To Grow Up And Manage Its Own Affairs: 43.40%

Dallasites Who'd Rather Hide Behind A 26-Year Old Law That Should Never Have Been Federal Business And Thus Not Not Be Responsible For Themselves: 56.60%

kinda sad, really...

deltairlines

Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:27 pm

Up to 442 for repeal and 566 against it (of which I am proud to be one of).

That's quite a big jump for repeal there...about 40 repeal votes while keep it only gets 4...

Jeff

cjpark

Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:28 pm

Dallasites Who'd Rather Hide Behind A 26-Year Old Law That Should Never Have Been Federal Business And Thus Not Not Be Responsible For Themselves: 56.60%

43% think that North Texas cannot manage its own affairs.

56% think that North Texas should be able to sort the matter out themselves without the input of the rest of the country.

[Edited 2005-07-06 05:32:11]
"Any airline that wants to serve the [region] can go to DFW today and fly anywhere they want," WN spokesman Ed Stewart

DfwRevolution

Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:38 pm

>> BTW, that Sam Johnson guy looks REALLY old, I'm talkin keel over at any second, not wake up tomorrow morning, mothballs in the underpants old!

Yeah no kidding... he looks like someone out of 1950, like someone you expect to see behind the scenes of the Eisenhower administration only still aliave.

>> 43% think that North Texas cannot manage its own affairs.

Or is that 43% smart enough to know that no one in North Texas has the authority to change one iota of the W.A. ?  Yeah sure

You know this, it's been said a hundred times: federal matters means Laura Miller can politely shove it and worry about things like... keeping an all-girls private school from building a soccer field.

>> Southwest Employees But Opie probably voted twice so the results are skewed.

So you think these results are even close to being accurate? An unscientific poll of a contentious issue taken online?  eyebrow 

OPNLguy

Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:44 pm

Quoting Cjpark (Reply 9):
Southwest Employees But Opie probably voted twice so the results are skewed.

It's "OPNLguy" to you, and I voted once, thank you very much.

I would also like to take this opportunity to publicly thank you--I bet someone that you'd post more garbage within the first 10 responses in the thread and I won $20. Thanks for being so predictable...  Wink
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

yanksn4

Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:00 pm

I believe that is a valid point, but I believe that WN should be given a chance to see if it can compete head to head out of Dallas to cities across the entire country and not just a select few. Let the market decide who sinks and swims.

signed,
Matthew
2013 Airports: EWR, JFK, LGA, LIS, AGP, DEN, GIG, RGN, BKK, LHR, FRA, LAX, SYD, PER, MEL, MCO, MIA, PEK, IAH

PHLBOS

Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:13 pm

As of 8:05 EDT July 6 (when I casted my vote), the votes for the repeal have now surpassed those for W/S A retention:

YES votes: 586 (50.43%)
NO votes: 576 (49.57%)
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

cjpark

Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:42 pm

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 17):
It's "OPNLguy" to you, and I voted once, thank you very much.

You will always be Opie so get used to it.

As far as you and your WN crowd is concerned any viewpoint that differs from the company line is garbage.

Do you ever wonder why the Congresswoman from Tennessee submitted a bill to amend the WA to allow flights to Tennessee instead of pressing forward with the effort to repeal? Do you think she thinks there is a chance of repeal?

Quoting Cjpark (Reply 15):
>> 43% think that North Texas cannot manage its own affairs.

Or is that 43% smart enough to know that no one in North Texas has the authority to change one iota of the W.A. ?

You know this, it's been said a hundred times: federal matters means Laura Miller can politely shove it and worry about things like... keeping an all-girls private school from building a soccer field.

I will say it again for your understanding. Regardless of the Federal Law the City of Dallas owns the Airport. We may not be able to deny WN use of the airport but we can make it less than profitable for them to operate there.

isitsafenow

Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:36 pm

CJPARK. Reading the last note on reply #20, I assume that "we" is American Airlines.
If thats the case, WN can also make it rough on AA, or should I say rougher-then-now. Remember, the sword has two sides.
safe

incitatus

Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:37 am

My vote is for repeal the Wright Amendment and modify DAL's master plan to reduce the maximum number of gates allowed from 32 to 12.
Stop pop up ads

cjpark

RE: A New Twist On The Wright Amendment Debate

Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:38 am

Quoting Isitsafenow (Reply 21):
CJPARK. Reading the last note on reply #20, I assume that "we" is American Airlines.
If thats the case, WN can also make it rough on AA, or should I say rougher-then-now. Remember, the sword has two sides.
safe

We being the City of Dallas.

Greyhound

Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:44 am

After casting my vote, although stupid because I'm not affected... just bored with too much time on my hands... the score is:

YES: 52.58% (663)
NO: 47.42% (598)

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 16):
So you think these results are even close to being accurate? An unscientific poll of a contentious issue taken online?

Good point... I could spend all day screwing up the results if I wanted to... it doesn't appear to have a limit on how many times one can vote. How does anyone know that someone isin't doing that just to be funny?
29th, Let's Go!

lightsaber
Crew

Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:51 am

Quoting Vegasplanes (Reply 4):
I am number 369 on the other side

With my vote:

Yes: 52.61% (665)
No: 47.39% (599)

Quoting Greyhound (Reply 24):
it doesn't appear to have a limit on how many times one can vote.

Good point. The fact it has gone so quickly from No to Yes has me wondering even though I'm vote 665...

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

Greyhound

Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:07 am

Quoting Lightsaber (Reply 25):
The fact it has gone so quickly from No to Yes has me wondering even though I'm vote 665...

I think the whole thing is screwy..... it said I was 665 too.
29th, Let's Go!

7H4Guy

Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:15 am

Current Poll

YES 52.31 % (668)

NO 47.69 % (609)

Thats me at 668  Silly

texan

Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:17 am

Quoting ExFATboy (Reply 13):
People Who Think That Dallas Needs To Grow Up And Manage Its Own Affairs: 43.40%

kinda sad, really...

The majority of Sam Johnson's district is in the suburbs of Garland and Plano, not the city of Dallas.

Also, I live under the flight path for DAL. Strangely enough, I also live under the flight path for a good amount of flights for DFW, and I live out near Garland. The DFW flights are the ones always passing overhead and disturbing us, not the DAL flights. Thankfully the Concorde doesn't fly in anymore, when that passed over us it shook the glasses out of the cupboard  Smile

Texan

Quoting Cjpark (Reply 20):
I will say it again for your understanding. Regardless of the Federal Law the City of Dallas owns the Airport. We may not be able to deny WN use of the airport but we can make it less than profitable for them to operate there.

And the benefit for the citizens of the Metroplex who aren't AA employees is what? You keep advocate shutting down DAL completely, but you have no clue what in the world you are asking for. You keep talking about the noise coming from the WN jets, while forgetting that 65% of the traffic at DAL is General Aviation. The majority of the noise pollution at DAL is from the Turbo Commanders, unhushkitted G-IIs and G-IIIs, and other loud GA aircraft. If DAL is shuttered, we lose thousands of jobs, much more than if WN is allowed to operate freely. We lose hundreds of airplane maintenance jobs, those people who work on planes varying in size from a 152 to a 747-400. We lose the customer service people, the hundreds of them working at the FBOs, restaurants, rental car companies, and the other businesses operating around DAL. We lose a major revenue stream: DAL charges a $0.07 fuel flowage fee for every airplane that fuels there. That includes the CO-Ex Embraers, the DHL 727s, and the Airborne Express 767-200s and DC-9s. Including the amount of other planes taking fuel, you are looking at a very substantial revenue loss for the City of Dallas. With the complete loss of the thousands of jobs, you are looking at less expenditures on retail and other markets in the City of Dallas (the majority of people who work at DAL live in Dallas). You lose revenue from the loss of parking fees, rental car taxes, hotel taxes, and sales taxes. No flights operating into DAL means less people purchasing items in Dallas. This is an idiotic stance that would lose the City millions of dollars per year in revenue. But then again, I guess it would be worth it to keep AA happy, wouldn't it?

As far as you and your WN crowd is concerned any viewpoint that differs from the company line is garbage

Hmmmm...seems like those in the AA crowd have the same problem...

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

Mexicana757

Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:04 am

Im number 682 for yes.  bouncy 

Mexicana757

Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:23 am

Do you really think the city of Dallas would do this???  Yeah sure The airport is a source of revenue to the city. If Dallas makes it diffucult for WN at DAL, the city will be shooting it self on the foot . As Texan said, if the city shuts down the airport there will be unemployed people and businesses will move to other neighbor towns or cities.

cjpark

RE: A New Twist On The Wright Amendment Debate

Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:03 am

Texan,

Have you ever thought of how much the land at DAL is worth? Do you realize that the city could gain more in selling the land for development and collecting property taxes on that development? You understand hopefully that the city is not allowed to make money off of the airport. All revenues from the cities operations at DAL go back into the airport. Love Field is the least productive land area besides the Trinity River Flood basin that the city owns.

Southwest Airlines has held the City of Dallas hostage with its operations at DAL since it was awarded its squatters rights by court decision. Yes jobs would be lost at DAL if WN moved. The goal is not so much to shut the airport down but to try and make it worth their while to move to DFW. When the gate leases end at the end of 2006 for WN the city will have a chance to force the issue. Why do you think WN is pushing so hard to get WA repealed now?

What can and should the city do to force the issue with WN?

Cut the number of gates in half. Actually dismantle the gates to keep them from being used.
Raise the rental rates on the gates it leases to any airline to a prohibitive rate.
Raise the cost of landing fees for commercial passenger aircraft.
Bulldoze one runway to cut capacity for the airport in half.
Cut the number of gates leased to WN in half.

What could the city do with the parking facilities at DAL when WN finally leaves?
How about building a main station for its light rail service? You know finally build that rail service directly to DFW. Build a terminal for all commuter rail service from the suburbs to and from Dallas and to Ft Worth.

One more thing. According to your profile if you have filled it out honestly you would have still been in Diapers when the Concorde was flying into DFW. Maybe your parents or older siblings might remember what the Concorde sounded like but I doubt you do.

DfwRevolution

Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:19 am

>> What could the city do with the parking facilities at DAL when WN finally leaves? How about building a main station for its light rail service?

Because DAL is located anywhere near existing DART/TRE infastucture? Better yet, we can use DAL for satelite parking for Mockingbird Station!  eyebrow 

>> You know finally build that rail service directly to DFW.

DART's Light Rail Master Plan already includes direct access to both the North and South ends of DFW by 2012.

http://www.dart.org/maps.asp?zeon=RailMap

>> Build a terminal for all commuter rail service from the suburbs to and from Dallas and to Ft Worth.

As I said, Dallas already has a master plan for light rail growth, and I'd hate to say that no such facility is required. Most commuting in the metroplex is now suburb to suburb not suburb-Dallas or suburb-Fort Worth. This makes rail itself an inefficent form of travel so long as our populatio density remains as low as it is.

>> When the gate leases end at the end of 2006 for WN the city will have a chance to force the issue.

And does anyone other than yourself think that the city will?

stirling

Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:35 am

Quoting Texan (Reply 28):
Also, I live under the flight path for DAL. Strangely enough, I also live under the flight path for a good amount of flights for DFW, and I live out near Garland. The DFW flights are the ones always passing overhead and disturbing us, not the DAL flights

Back in the 70's and 80's I lived out around S Plano Rd and W Buckingham Rd, as well as later close to Coit and Belt Line.
It's true. Love Field and WN weren't the issue...even then with the then mostly -200 fleet. It was the GA ops, window-shaking loud. Most of the time, didn't even know the WN flights were there..The AA and DL 727s heading west for DFW were another story..(I guess it had to do with 3 vs. 2?)
Which makes me think...DFW was for a very long time a "T-Tail" or "Clean-Wing" Airport...American, Braniff, Delta...all had the 727 and MD80s as the primary fleet component (ex. BN) It hasn't been until recently the 737 has shown up at DFW in large numbers. But I digress.

Do you ever wonder why the Congresswoman from Tennessee submitted a bill to amend the WA to allow flights to Tennessee instead of pressing forward with the effort to repeal? Do you think she thinks there is a chance of repeal?

Or she is in CYA mode. She's working for her constituents, being a politician...Even with her backtracking move, she is still acknowledging a problem with the Wright legislation. You made a good attempt at turning a negative into a positive....but most can see it as just spin doctoring.

As far as you and your WN crowd is concerned any viewpoint that differs from the company line is garbage.

It's a two-way street.
Why is WN not allowed to push for changes to the law, while every other company on the planet is allowed to; including American; specifically; a certain Northeast Airport with perimeter rules?
Why is FEDex not being forced to move their Freight hub from Alliance to DFW? I have asked this question many times at pro-Wright folks, but have never received an answer. I would like an explanation of what I see as a double standard thank you.

You will always be Opie so get used to it.

And you say pro-Repeal talk "Garbage"?
What else do you expect Sir when you begin your post with an insult of another A.Net member? Forget about who's right, and who's wrong...Have you given thought to the manner in which you communicate?

We may not be able to deny WN use of the airport but we can make it less than profitable for them to operate there.

Could you explain how this fits in with a free-market economy?
Why would this help anything? What would be the legal foundation for such? I am trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, but you're making it very hard.
Delete this User

KarlB737

Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:50 am

I don't work for Southwest but if two airports can function in Chicago, Houston, Washington, D.C., New York, and anywhere else I haven't mentioned I just don't see the problem.

Secondly there is competition in all business. To say well we can't have it here in this isolated case is absurd.

Thirdly in the case of New York (as you all know) they have 3 area airports. Chicago is thinking of a third if they don't utilize RFD and/or GYY. I don't see any of the citizens of New York complaining about the other airports or attempting to limit their scope of operation either.

Therefore, I have just voted to repeal the Wright Amendment.

cjpark

Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:03 am

Stirling,

The point is if this law stays on the books until a new congress is elected it will be a moot point. The city of Dallas can force the issue on its own and WN will be either totally at DFW or at least operating some flights from there.

Quoting Stirling (Reply 33):
Could you explain how this fits in with a free-market economy?
Why would this help anything? What would be the legal foundation for such? I am trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, but you're making it very hard.

If your business depends on the public largesse to operate then the government and public has every right to tell you where you can do business. Until WN owns the airports it operates out of and the airspace it operates in then it will be subject to regulation. No one on the Pro WA side has said that WN does not have the right to work to change a law. We are only exercising our right to oppose any change to the law. I only hope that the other side of the argument will admit we are as much as within our rights as they consider themselves to be.

If WN had not had the City of Dallas over the barrel on continued service from DAL the City might have had a leg to stand on in opposition of building Alliance and the start up of the freight services there. After the resolution of the WN issue at DAL it may be possible to force Fed Ex to move all of its operations back to DFW.

DfwRevolution

Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:13 am

>> The city of Dallas can force the issue on its own and WN will be either totally at DFW or at least operating some flights from there.

This, too, is a moot point because we know the likelyhood of this actually happening are slim to none. No one in the City of Dallas has the balls nor the inclination to start demolishing runways and gates as you so wildly propose.

>> I only hope that the other side of the argument will admit we are as much as within our rights as they consider themselves to be.

You have that right, within the limits of an honest democracy. The reasoning behind why the W.A. was drafted and why it should be kept are anything but...

Protect DFW bond agreements? Yeah right...

>> After the resolution of the WN issue at DAL it may be possible to force Fed Ex to move all of its operations back to DFW.

And the City of Fort Worth would let that happen? Just as likely that Dallas would move to "demolish" DAL...

There is only a single way this issue can be completly resolved, and that's no Wright Ammendment. Put it off again, and it will crop up a few years later. There is no possible way to close DAL or AFW so we've got to live with the reality we created: there will be a surpluss of airport capacity.

1MillionFlyer

Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:26 am

YES 52.11 % (729)

NO 47.89 % (670)

The Yes vote is winning !  Smile
Golf Foxtrot you are cleared for departure

gift4tbone

Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:45 am

OK, i voted and the current results are:

Yes 52.1% (731)
No 47.9%(672)

I voted yes. I agree that you all have a right to your opinion. Thats not the issue. What IS the issue, is if your on the right side of the pond or not.

You guys really need to stop your personal attacks on eachother. Grow Up.

AA is obviously looking out for their best interests. As is WN.

If you want America to remain the land of the free (which it really isn't anymore), then we need to keep up our free market economy. Open up DAL, and any airline that wants to come in and compete with WN can. I think that AA is just afraid of what that might do.

Lower Fares.

Low fares means low profits. Well, AA, I have this to say to you:
The Airline industry, the entire Aviation industry is changing, LCCs are the wave of the century. Get with it. Either join em, or die trying.

I don't want to see AA go under, by no means. But they do need to change the way the do business. Maybe competing with WN, their customer service will improve.

-Tony@PVD
Top 3 airports: PVD 23.9%(138 flights), PHL 14.7%(85 flights), PHX 10.2%(59 flights)

sllevin

Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:13 am

After due thought, I think they should repeal the Wright Amendment and let WN have control of DAL.

They, for that prime property, they should increase landing fees to 5 times DFW's fees. In short, make it expensive enough that Southwest does not grow the number of flights, but the city gets significantly more money.

Steve

2H4

Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:43 am

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 17):
I would also like to take this opportunity to publicly thank you--I bet someone that you'd post more garbage within the first 10 responses in the thread and I won $20. Thanks for being so predictable...

Wow, who was stupid enough to bet against you?  Wink

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

JayDavis

Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:11 am

Just look at the respect rating of OPLNguy versus Cjpark and that will give you an idea of who really knows what they are talking about.

I voted for getting rid of the Wrong Amendment !!

Jay

floorrunner

Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:12 am

I also voted for repeal of the Wright amendment. My reasons are the same as all the other anti Wright amendment folks.

One thing I don't understand is why there are so many people that contribute to this forum that are allowed to personally attack someone they don't agree with.
Isn't that against the rules? I thought being a part of A.net was going to be fun, but watching all this fighting is not fun to me.

cjpark

Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:27 am

2H4

One more time now answer the question.

What I am trying to figure out about you 2H4 is that you admit the WA will not affect air travel in your local market. Yet you feel compelled to tell a whole region that it should take a chance on damaging its local economy and transportation infrastructure in order to assist an airline that does not and probably will not ever serve your local market. What personal gain do you expect from this?

You can’t honestly say lower fares for two reasons no service to your local market and that WN has always had the ability to compete and drive down airfares in the DFW market for years but has chosen not to do so. You know that the WA is meant to keep two airports from competing against each other and not to keep the airlines from competing.

I really am curious about your reasoning. OPNL is an employee of WN I can understand his reasons but yours are a mystery.

stlgph

Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:29 am

Quoting KarlB737 (Reply 34):
I don't work for Southwest but if two airports can function in Chicago, Houston, Washington, D.C., New York, and anywhere else I haven't mentioned I just don't see the problem.

again--

because you, like many people, don't stop to get the jist and agreements that went into the creation of DFW.

Chicago is one city.
Houston is one city.

therefore, these cities can't even be compared. axed.

Washington...
National Airport is severely limited
Dulles serves as D.C.'s second airport
Baltimore is its own separate entity
No agreement or union ever was created to exist for the two to build a joint airport...such as DFW.

this example? axed.

New York.
Same as Washington.
La Guardia is limited.
JFK serves a secondary purpose.
Newark is its own entity.
And in a separate state.
Again...no agreement or union was created to exist for NY/Newark to share one major airport.

this example? axed.

DFW?

created when cities came to join together to share in the cost of a mutual investment and set upon those agreed terms.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

vegasplanes

Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:30 am

The WA should be repealed as it is a hindrance to the free market economy. In that aspect, the DAL masterplan should also be thrown out to ensure any airline that wishes to may start service to DAL.

As for DFW and the argument that the airport will suffer if the WA is repealed, we can not predict the future and what will happen with passenger traffic levels if the WA is repealed. IMO the availability of low fares through DAL will cause airlines serving DFW to match the fares offered at DAL. In that case traffic through DFW may actually rise and the airport itself would be the benefit of the additional passengers traveling through/to/from the Dallas area as the airport generates revenue based on landing fees, passenger fees, fuel fees, etc., that are generated by additional passengers, not on the price the passenger paid to fly.

Also Airport over-building in a municipality is not a national issue and should not affect a national issue such as the WA.
WN is more likely to build a passenger terminal and start service to AFW than move to DFW, IMO.  Wink

Aloha717200

Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:30 am

Quoting Cjpark (Reply 31):
Have you ever thought of how much the land at DAL is worth? Do you realize that the city could gain more in selling the land for development and collecting property taxes on that development?

Oh, well in that case let's demolish DFW while we're at it since it will make SO much more money on that land if it's used for other purposes.   

You need to factor in the other benefits of DAL besides just what the city might collect in taxes and fees for the operation of the airport. The airport itself helps boost the local economy which puts even more revenue into the city's pocket. Sure you could close that airport, bulldoze it, and turn it into a real estate development, but will the tax revenue from such a development really match or surpass the widespread benefits of an airport bringing business direct to downtown Dallas, versus DFW which is much farther away? Honestly, I see an increase of traffic or markets to DAL as a further means of boosting Dallas' economy. The only ones that would "lose" should Love be "freed" would be the fare/fee hikers at DFW that suddenly would have some fair competition on their hands.

If I may say so, I think you're only looking at the part of the picture that you want to see.

[Edited 2005-07-07 04:34:46]

1MillionFlyer

Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:41 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 44):
created when cities came to join together to share in the cost of a mutual investment and set upon those agreed terms.

It was paid for long ago. This is like the Mass Turnpike that was paid for years ago but they still charge so political cronies can get their kids a job taking tolls for 60K a year.
Golf Foxtrot you are cleared for departure

cjpark

Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:42 am

No one respects the opposition do they Jay.

Why don't you tell us why you think the Wright Amendment should be repealed and not regurgitate the WN company line for a change.

Come up with one original thought in this forum and I will change your respect rating by 1 point.

isitsafenow

Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:05 pm

STLgph....The public does not give a rats tail about agreements of any kind.
They just want the convenience of an airport close to their home or where they intend to do business. Dallas-Ft Worth and the Metroplex have a large populous base to draw from. Two airports in that area is justified WITHOUT restrictions.
safe