vs773er

How Airlines Lose Money?

Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:16 pm

One thing that really intrigues me abut aircraft. Does the sheer size and complexities of an engine really allow uncompromising accuracy on efficiency?

In a totally guestimated, over-generalised form, I kind of worked out (albeit, no doubt missing out on a few scheduled maintenance periods!) That if, say, one power plant on one aircraft, say a UA/BA/AA 777 running JFK to LHR, was burning just £1 per mile too much fuel, over a year period - could this really cost the company £1,300,000? (As I say, naively based on:- 3000miles per trip, 2 trips per day, 5 operating days a week, 4 weeks a month, 11 months a year. Allowing more than enough for maintenance and checks.)

Do power plants of this size really run that efficiently? What about a 4 pod a/c - the inefficiency costs would be crazy!?

Maybe this helps understand why some larger airlines struggle!!!

VS773

P.S I am not an expert so please refrain from insults!
Communicating. Keeping up foreign relations...

Aloha717200

RE: How Airlines Lose Money?

Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:33 pm

I think you would find more help in getting your question answered by posting this in Tech/Ops.

Lots of knowledgable people over there that could probably give you more knowledge than I could!

UAalltheway

Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:39 pm

No offence intended whatsoever, but I think that if this was as big as a problem as you make it i think they most likely would've figured that out right now. Not sure though, maybe we can get some expert input on this. I'm very impressed with your research though.  Smile

uadc8contrail

Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:44 pm

On behalf of zvezda,burnsie and lufthansa.....ual is the only carrier to lose money...all other us carriers are making cash but the steenlands and the arpeys are saying something else....after ual goes away they will in fact make cash..until then....nwa has to deal with a bunch of crazed flight attds and mechs.....that want to bring down the red bird....i unlike burnsie28 could really care if they go under as we will still have out flights to north dakota ehh....viva amfa and o.v. dellafemme who ever he or she is...........
bus driver.......move that bus:)

BNE

Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:34 pm

If there was that big a difference in the performance of an engine a pilot would pick it up as soon as the trip was over; a plane might go one return trip or less with a problem like that but not a whole year.

Based on 767-300 figures for 2001 the fuel and oil costs per block hour were $2100.00; The price of fuel has doubled in the last few years, so you figure of 1 pound per mile is a little excessive.
Why fly non stop when you can connect

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos