NWADC9
Topic Author

Pan Am To The Moon?

Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:01 am

ok, I may be dumb, but I wasn't born yet when Pan Am roamed the world.

Is it really true Pan Am sold tickets to the moon? What was the purpose of them? Souvenier? A ticket to a suburb of Pittsburgh?
I convert Jet A and 100LL into noise.

AirEMS

RE: Pan Am To The Moon?

Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:04 am

The only thing I can think of that combines Pan Am and space would be the movie 2001 in which they are flying to a space station and I think the moon.. been a while since I last saw the movie...
If Your Dying Were Flying

uswyjer

Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:20 am

Hadn't heard this before... but checking wikipedia- Pan Am; and according to another site I looked at TWA; in fact started taking reservations for Moon trips, and the tickets have become collectors items.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_Am scroll down about halfway.
-Jeremy

isitsafenow

Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:22 am

TWA and PAN AM were taking reservations with no down payment on trips to the moon when"the route opened up to the public". I was on the TWA list with a few thousand other. I signed up in the late 60's or sometime in the 70's.
I forgot all about it until this thread. If I remember right, you requested a form, they mailed it, you filled it out and mailed it back and that was it.
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

tano

Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:44 am

NWADC9,

I remember Pan Am very well. It was the epitome of the international worldwide airline. Nicknames as "The Chosen Instrument" and the "Imperial Airline" tells the public perception of the company. First to master long range navigation, the Pacific, the Atlantic, 707, 747... a big building in the heart of the "Capital of the World" (NYC)
You could find the blue meatball logo on the remotest Capitals you could reach (except in their homeland!).

On 2001 movie, Pan Am's Spaceplane shuttles between Earth and Space Station. There was even an Aurora plastic model kit at that time. People would not hesitate to buy such of those reservations in the late sixties.

Rules changed then and this industry had to adapt. Big Empires deprived of protective rules starved and died. And so Pan Am became history.

Cheers, Tano

nkops

Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:59 am

Well, if it's Pan-Am III, chances are they will fly to the moon, and then pull out a month later.  Big grin
:evil:

FlyingTexan

Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:28 am

Now some crazy bloke from the UK is actually selling flights to space...

spin 
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

WDBRR

Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:55 am

Quoting NWADC9 (Thread starter):
NWADC9,

I remember Pan Am very well. It was the epitome of the international worldwide airline. Nicknames as "The Chosen Instrument" and the "Imperial Airline" tells the public perception of the company. First to master long range navigation, the Pacific, the Atlantic, 707, 747... a big building in the heart of the "Capital of the World" (NYC)
You could find the blue meatball logo on the remotest Capitals you could reach (except in their homeland!).

I think the old Continental circle was called the "Meatball" logo,
I believe Pan Am was called the big blue ball (globe).

TomTurner

Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:40 am

I have one of those Pan Am tickets to the Moon.

Believe it was given out - either for free or sold very cheap - at 1964 (65?) World's Fair in New York (amongst other places I suppose). Can't imagine where else I might have gotten it.

The reference to Pan Am in the movie "2001.." reminds me of the American Airlines Cargo Spacecraft in Silent Running. (badly dated ScFi from early/mid 70s...but easily pre-dating Star Wars with R2D2-like "cute" mini robots..)

- Tom

TonyBurr

Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:29 pm

I can remember in New York City in the late 1960's passing Pan Am's ticket office on 5 th Avenue and seeing their advertisement for reservations to the moon. It was a gimmick that they advertised there for quite some time.
I cannot remember if this was before/after or during the time of the first moon landing.

I had forgotten this until I saw the heading. I can still see the ad in their office. Thanks for the memories.

dl021

Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:11 pm

Pan Am indeed accepted reservations (open ended) for their projected service to the moon. The certificate is considered by many to be the "holy grail" of airline collectibles.

I was listed for a trip, and am waiting for someone to pick up the service and offer to honor the reservations placed so long ago.

Here is a sample of what the certificates looked like.

Evidently they sold a bunch of these tickets, but I don't think that Boston-Maine Airways is ready to fly their PanAm 727's there.

Here's hoping.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

TonyBurr

Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:33 pm

How many Frequent Flyer Miles would you obtain on this "flight"?

Wayfarer

Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:45 pm

Quoting TonyBurr (Reply 12):
How many Frequent Flyer Miles would you obtain on this "flight"?

Did Pan Am ever have frequent flyer program?
EASTERN AIRLINES: We Are Still Here Today

jcavinato

Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:46 pm

238,000 miles one way. In business and first, there will be more. Quite an easy way to get elite status.

But, then again, earth to moon is such a short relative distance, you'll probably be in commuter type space equipment (cramped seating, no overhead, no meals, elbow to elbow, etc.) using terminals you have to use a bus to get to.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos