klm672

Why No London-bremen Service?

Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:22 pm

My great uncle went to visit his sister (my grandmother) in Germany. For many years there were flights to London with either Gatwick or Heathrow to Bremen, Germany. Now they are none (except London city with OLT, expensive) so he had to fly Heathrow-fra-bre and on the way back bre-muc-lhr. I am wondering why there are no airlines flying a direct Bremen to London service? I persoally have taken that flight using both heathrow (LH CRJ) and Gatwick (Ba cityflyer ATR) and the flights have been full.
Thanks
Andre

TriStar500

RE: Why No London-bremen Service?

Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:25 pm

Hmmm, probably the OLT flight covers the business market pretty well, so the yields generated by the remaining leisure traffic would be too low to warrant a direct service with cattle class capacity? Also you have to consider the relative vicinity of HAM.
Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

RJ100

Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:29 pm

This might change when the rumoured easyJet base in BRE becomes reality!  Wink

Regards,
RJ100
none

N160LH

Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:21 am

Yes... I remember hearing about a lot of nonstop service between London and Bremen.... but i guess that ended after 1945..!

Hahah could not resist....
N160LH
"I do alright up in the air, its down on the ground that I tend to mess up..."

BREmer

Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:57 am

Very funny N160LH. Now go outside and play.  Smile

Yes, BRE is indeed a bit short on LON flights. OLT flies to LCY 2x daily, currently even down to Saab SF340 I think!! LH and BA used to both serve LHR until the mid-90s, then LH pulled out, later BA switched to LGW which put the route to death pretty much, due to the lack of transfer flights compared to LHR.

To me, this development tells a lot about the airport management here. If those guys would finally get a grip, I could see BA operating flights LHR-BRE without problems. It would create a bit more competition as well.After all, BRE is not connected to the oneworld network, while Star Alliance (LH to FRA and MUC) and Skyteam (KL 4x daily to AMS, AF 4x daily to CDG) are quite present.

Lukas

MarkATL

Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:10 am

Back in the 80s and early 90s there was a LH BRE-LGW flight and a BA BRE-LHR flight. If memory serves it was the only LH service to LGW.

As for N160LH, any pre 1939-1945 flights from LON to BRE would shall we say be an unsuccessful flight. I always thought the idea was to land where one took off from. Big grin

While on the subject of UK to BRE war time flights. This was actually one of the accidental tragedies of the war. On one mission they were to bomb the Bremen harbor. In a translation screw up the civilian population of Bremerhaven got heavily bombarded.
"...left my home in Georgia, 'n headed for the "Frisco" Bay...