flyboy80

Comparing Regional Aircraft, On The Inside.

Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:59 pm

I was interested in some things about regional airline and internal demensions. Does anyone have them, or know where to get cabin demensions for Dash's, RJ's, EMB's, ERJ's...etc??? Im just interested in comparing them! thanks for any info guys...Also, to add to this topic, feel free to give some comparisons of personal experiences on differen't types of Regional aircraft! thanks
bri-EUG

jdaniel001

RE: Comparing Regional Aircraft, On The Inside.

Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:10 am

Go to the manufactuers' websites. They should list it there.
We Are UNITED!

flyboy80

Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:17 am

thats so true, but I love it when people just tell me! love u guys! lol

luv2fly

Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:30 am

I avoid the CRJ's like the plague! Give me a ERJ any day of the week. The 2 x 2 seating on the CRJ makes the cabin that much more close together and gives a real crowded feeling.
You can cut the irony with a knife

GLA MD11

Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:33 am

ERJs are 2+1 aside so if I travel alone, I love the sole seat on the left-hand side.

CRJs and the Fokker 50 are 2+2 so you get less claustrophobic.

Both CRJs and ERJs are amazingly powerful on take-off.

Can't remember for the Saab though... Short memory!

I love those planes cuz you get personnalized service. I also enjoy boarding from the ground instead of those ugly jetways.

I still need to try the BAe 146...

1MillionFlyer

Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:38 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 3):
I avoid the CRJ's like the plague! Give me a ERJ any day of the week. The 2 x 2 seating on the CRJ makes the cabin that much more close together and gives a real crowded feeling

The only good thing about the CRJ's is that they are MUCH more quiet than the ERJ's or E170. I avoid CRJ 200's like the plague also, but the 700 is a great airplane.

Embraers need to learn how to make an aircraft that will no leave you deaf, if it wasn't for my Bose ANC headsets I would never fly on an ERJ or E170
Golf Foxtrot you are cleared for departure

COERJ145

Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:48 am

I had an excellent experience on a US DH8. I just love how fast the takeoff was. Also, whats interesting, is how fast the gear goes up and down. Startups are nice as well. ERJ's are awsome. I've flown on AA, CO, UA, and US's, and all had pleasent experiences. They can be loud, but quiet compared to the back of a NW D9S. I flew the CRJ once from PSP-SLC, and that was probably the most quiet aircraft i've been on. Not as comfterble as the ERJ, but pretty nice.

-Jeff M

flyboy80

Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:00 am

so ERJs are louder eh???

VirginFlyer

Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:50 am

Saabs are laid out 1-2. Obviously, they can be fairly noisy near the prop line (where I have always managed to be allocated a seat...), but other than that, they are fairly nice to fly in.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Daniel Werner
View Large View Medium

Photo © ChW - Aviapix Worldwide

V/F
"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh

1MillionFlyer

Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:03 am

Quoting Flyboy80 (Reply 7):
so ERJs are louder eh???

noticeably

I have flown about 100 segments on a CRJ and 50 on an ERJ and the ERJ is much noiser.

flyboy80

Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:15 pm

well i have my first experience on a SF340 and ERJ on the 14th this month!!!!

broncoguy

Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:28 pm

I have only been on one ERJ flight and I remember commenting on how quiet it was compared to the CRJ, but that was probably a year ago so maybe that was only that one plane.

BTW, this is my first post on A*net  bigthumbsup 

flyboy80

Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:09 am

A lot of the sound depends where you sit..etc on an aircraft, some aircraft have a "differen't" sound to them, which may be more noticiable, provoking the assumption that they are louder...I guess I will have to be a judge to that when I go on my trip right guys? this is comming from a boy who doesn't think the EMB is loud!! lol

COERJ145

Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:34 am

Quoting Flyboy80 (Reply 12):
A lot of the sound depends where you sit..etc on an aircraft, some aircraft have a "differen't" sound to them, which may be more noticiable, provoking the assumption that they are louder...I guess I will have to be a judge to that when I go on my trip right guys? this is comming from a boy who doesn't think the EMB is loud!! lol

It does, i've been in seat 1A on an ERJ, its very quiet, but i've also sat in the back near the engines, and it does get moderatly loud. However, the noise level in the back on an ERJ is nothing compared to sitting in the last row of a NW DC9.

-Jeff M

flyboy80

Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:59 pm

lol, ha, Yeah I can definitely see that. Im excited to fly the ERJ... In cabin dimensions, does anyone know how much less the cross section of a ERJ is compared to a CRJ?

AJRfromSYR

Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:28 am

I love the ERJ. I think its a more attractive aircraft also compared to the CRJ. Although the CRJ700's is an improvement. I love MD80's also for their 2-3 layout compared to the 737/A320.
-AJR-

MD80Nut

Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:03 am

I've flown on both CRJ-100/200s and ERJ-145s and I like them both a lot. They are a little more cramped in my opinion the mainline jets like the A320, MD80 and 737, but not much more. Smoother and nicer ride than turboprops. I've flown turboprops and regional jets on the same routes and I think the jets are a bit quicker.

My only complaint is the height of the windows on the CRJs. I'm only 5 ft. 6 in and I have to hunch down to look out the window. The 145s have the window at just the right height.

I look forward to checking out the larger Canadairs and Embraers. The comments I've heard is that they are nicer then the 50 pax types.

Cheers, Ralph
Fly Douglas Jets DC-8 / DC-9 / DC-10 / MD80 / MD11 / MD90 / 717

Lando

Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:03 am

I like flying on Saab 340s, I had alot of fun on the last flight we were on. My first experience on a CRJ will be the 28th of this month. I cant wait. My cousin could be the PIC of our flight too. So it should be awesome.

1MillionFlyer

Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:08 am

Quoting COERJ145 (Reply 13):
It does, i've been in seat 1A on an ERJ, its very quiet

I sit in 1A on COEX quite a lot, while the engine noise very low, it is the wind noise that is probably a good 35% higher than the CRJ. Also, the ERJ galley coffee pot leaks a lot and so you get to smell stale cofee sometimes. (Several F/A's on ERJ's have confirmed this is an ongoing issue).

AJRfromSYR

Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:13 am

1A in a ERJ is first class. Good leg room, quiet, no neighbor and you can chat up the F/A.
-AJR-

ZRH

Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:16 am

Quoting 1MillionFlyer (Reply 5):
The only good thing about the CRJ's is that they are MUCH more quiet than the ERJ's or E170.

I don't feel that the ERJs are louder. They also have basically the same modern engines.

AJRfromSYR

Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:18 am

Quoting ZRH (Reply 20):
I don't feel that the ERJs are louder. They also have basically the same modern engines.

Quoting 1MillionFlyer (Reply 18):
I sit in 1A on COEX quite a lot, while the engine noise very low, it is the wind noise that is probably a good 35% higher than the CRJ.
-AJR-

Tornado82

Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:43 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 3):
I avoid the CRJ's like the plague! Give me a ERJ any day of the week. The 2 x 2 seating on the CRJ makes the cabin that much more close together and gives a real crowded feeling.

Exactly my sentiments as well. I even try to do most of my flying on Co-Ex as opposed to DL Connection here out of ABE because of the ERJ vs CRJ.

Quoting GLA MD11 (Reply 4):
Both CRJs and ERJs are amazingly powerful on take-off.

WHAT?!??!? 50-seat CRJ's roll on take off like it's their job. I swear you could get a T7 up in less runway than a CRJ. The CRJ-700 though is a rocket ship. The ERJ's take a good bit of runway, but once they leave the ground seem to climb almost like a 757. CRJ's are dogs.

ContnlEliteCMH

Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:47 am

Quoting COERJ145 (Reply 13):
It does, i've been in seat 1A on an ERJ, its very quiet, but i've also sat in the back near the engines, and it does get moderatly loud. However, the noise level in the back on an ERJ is nothing compared to sitting in the last row of a NW DC9.

I agree that the ERJ is a noisy airplane.

I disagree with your assessment of the noise on the ERJ in the first row. I've flown about 140 segments on the ERJ-145, and my observation is that the first three rows of that aircraft are considerably noisier than the next two because of wind noise around the door seals. On the ERJ-145, I have found the second row to be undesirable just for that reason.

My usual seat on that airplane is 5A. It's close enough to the front that you don't get much engine noise. It's far enough forward of the wing that you get no boundary layer noise. And it's far enough aft that you get away from the door noise.

Of course, my favorite seat is 12A, the exit row...
Christianity. Islam. Hinduism. Anthropogenic Global Warming. All are matters of faith!

ciaomc2002

Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:49 am

I flew in a Flybe Dash 8 Q400 and I was pleasantly surprised. Hardly any vibration, and I was right next to the propeller, 9D I think. Really quiet.

legacy135

Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:00 am

Quoting ContnlEliteCMH (Reply 23):
I disagree with your assessment of the noise on the ERJ in the first row. I've flown about 140 segments on the ERJ-145, and my observation is that the first three rows of that aircraft are considerably noisier than the next two because of wind noise around the door seals. On the ERJ-145, I have found the second row to be undesirable just for that reason.

There are two style of doors on the ERJ. The airstair door that folds down and a jetway door that swings out to open. We complained several times with Embraer about the door and general wind noise on the Legacy which is far away from meeting standards of a business jet. The Legacy has for sure the airstair door. Pilots flying the ERJ's with Jetway doors told me, that this door was considerably quieter.

AJRfromSYR

Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:03 am

All the USAirways dash's I fly are loud and annoying, but what prop aren't. They just seem to be louder then most
-AJR-

Tornado82

Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:28 am

Quoting AJRfromSYR (Reply 26):
All the USAirways dash's I fly are loud and annoying, but what prop aren't. They just seem to be louder then most

US (Piedmont) doesn't have the Q-400's, so they don't have the new noise-supression technology.

drewwright

Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:52 am

As a f/a on the ERJ series, I will wholeheartedly agree that it is loud. I would say it is on par with the CRJ. As in the CRJ, it is especially bad when we are flying low and fast...the wind noise becomes more of a deafening roar! The quietest seats are those just forward of the exit row...far behind the forward doors and far forward of the engines. The E170s are as quiet as any mainline jet...I can have a conversation in a normal tone of voice in the forward galley...the aft galley is a little bit louder.
I really think the Embraer product is superior to the CRJ (not to sound biased). I only wish there were a little more headroom!

CRJIAD

Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:03 am

I think the cockpit and cabin noise have something to do with Embraer using the same basic fuslage design on their Brasilia turbo-prop and the ERJ's. So at higher speeds the ERJ can be somewhat noisy. I think this has been talked about before on another forum. IMO the ERJ doesnt seem to be as solid an aircraft as the CRJ. While the CRJ-200 was sluggish on climb and cramped the -700 is a vast improvement all around. Correct me if im wrong.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Gilles Bausch
View Large View Medium

Photo © Raimund Stehmann

View Large View Medium

Photo © Vladimir Kostritsa
View Large View Medium

Photo © Jason Bisson

I love this picture
View Large View Medium

Photo © Jan Mogren

I love this A/C
View Large View Medium

Photo © Derek Hellmann

dforce1

Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:36 am

The old Dash 8-100, 200, 300's are certainly nothing compared to the new Q series. They are amazing aircraft which are not only quieter, but vibrate less. I wish Air Canada Jazz would order some new Q series jets.

What does everyone think of the new proposed Bombardier C-Series? Do you think they will have a good product to compete with Embraer? It doesn't sound like they have had any genuine interest in it in terms of a launch customer.

10mid

Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:41 am

Quoting AJRfromSYR (Reply 19):
1A in a ERJ is first class. Good leg room, quiet, no neighbor and you can chat up the F/A.

From the FA's POV, someone in 1A is hell. They like to use that space for their stuff and can sit there instead of the jumpseat during cruise. And when thy're in the jumpseat, they don't feel like the person in 1A is staring at them. And worse of all, they hate when 1A tries to chat them up.

The wind noise in the cockpit of the ERJ is really loud, especially as you descend to lower altitudes. I didn't realize it because I fly with Bose headseats. Then the battery died and it really made a big difference.

In some of the XRs, there have been new windshields installed. Don't know if these are supposed to cut down on noise.

Tornado82

Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:16 am

Quoting 10MID (Reply 31):
From the FA's POV, someone in 1A is hell. They like to use that space for their stuff and can sit there instead of the jumpseat during cruise. And when thy're in the jumpseat, they don't feel like the person in 1A is staring at them. And worse of all, they hate when 1A tries to chat them up.

Heh... and I'm in 2 Co-Ex ERJ's tomorrow where I sit in seat 1A. Note to self: Don't "chat them up"

N1120A

Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:28 am

Quoting GLA MD11 (Reply 4):
I still need to try the BAe 146...

Try it with Air Dolomiti. They have an amazing seat pitch and pretty F/As
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

legacy135

Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:31 am

Quoting 10MID (Reply 31):
In some of the XRs, there have been new windshields installed. Don't know if these are supposed to cut down on noise.

The windscreen used on the XR does help a little. One of the main "noise generators" remains the door area that is poorly isolated against noise. Furthermore, when you look to a closed airstair type door on the ERJ's, on the top end, the door does close towards the inside of the fuselage shell and creates a step. This step as well helps to make you remember what kind of plane you're sitting in.
The wipers are generating noise as well. Embraer came up with the glorious idea of removing them on the BJ's (Legacy) and putting a coated windscreen. The result is: Everybody flying in dry areas loves it, for the others it's useless. I had take offs in winter. At 60 knots or so all the wet, water mixed with de-icing fluid and so, started to come up the windscreen. It was as a low visibility take off. After pressuring them enormously, we finally got back the wipers. The thing is, the wipers are only noisy at low altitudes when IAS is high. Cruising at FL380 or 390 what is normal does not create any remarkable noise by the wiper.
The most amazing thing is, the whole world knows that the Barbie - Jet's are really loud. Everybody complains about and Embraer still tries to explain us how wonderfully quite they are....

dforce1

Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:55 am

What are the ATR 42/72's like?

Jetter2

Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:09 am

I rode in a Dash-8 when I went skydiving. That was fun as heck! It climbed with 20 ppl in the back and it did 1000+fpm eaisly.

-Jetter2

jamesontheroad

Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:06 am

What a great opportunity for me to plug my first two trip reports for airliners.net both made in the last two weeks on regional turboprops Big grin
BHD-ORK-BHD With Aer Arann (w/pics) (by Jamesontheroad Jul 15 2005 in Trip Reports) for an ATR BHD-NWI-BHD With FlyBe (w/pics) (by Jamesontheroad Jul 20 2005 in Trip Reports) for a Q400

Quote:
I flew in a Flybe Dash 8 Q400 and I was pleasantly surprised. Hardly any vibration, and I was right next to the propeller, 9D I think. Really quiet.

I agree... the Q400s used by BE are brilliant inside: light, airy and very spacious. I particularly like the design of the lighting/ventilation panel above the window seats: someone's actually tried to design them in a way that looks coherent and well put together.

The ATR-42 I travelled on was, in comparison, much more claustrophobic (darker materials, and the 'dead-end' cabin you get by boarding only from the rear). For some reason, it reminded me of another eighties French vehicle - a Citröen BX Big grin

View Large View Medium

Photo © Bjorn Alegren
View Large View Medium

Photo © Adrian Falconer

On the left, an ATR42, on the right, a FlyBe Q400.

*j*

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos