Biggles
Topic Author

What Happened To Airworld?

Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:32 am

Back in '96 I was contracted to work in LGW for Airworld in their ops department. They had , I believe 4 A320's . There was also a comany called All Leisure with one A320 . I worked in LGW at the Beehive for 6 months during the summer ,then shipped back to Canada. I remember Airworld's A320's had a very high utilisation rate. Did they become part of a bigger outfit ??

gilesdavies

RE: What Happened To Airworld?

Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:52 am

Airworld was the charter airline section of Sunworld holidays in the UK and operated the A320 and A321.

I am unable to quote dates but Sunworld holidays was owned by the Spanish hotel group called Iberworld and decided to sell UK tour operator to Thomas Cook. At this time Thomas Cook already owned the airlines Caledonian and Flying Colours operating under different tour operator names.

Airworld was the first airline to be consolidated within the group and all of Sunworlds Holiday charters were flown by Flying Colours but this only lasted for a year and Thomas Cook decided to later consolidate all of their in-house airlines under the one name of JMC Airlines and this however only lasted a few years until they decided to brand the airline Thomas Cook Airlines which is where we are at today.

I don't think many airlines can boast as many name changes as Thomas Cook!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Paul Morley
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jordi Grife - Iberian Spotters