nkops

NK Drops Expedia

Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:28 am

As a cost cutting move, NK stopped selling seats on Expedia recently . Considering they sell approximately 70% of their tickets on their own website, this is probably a good move. I'm not sure how much this saves, but I was wondering if you think more airlines will do this as one way to save money with record high fuel prices???
:evil:

A330323X

RE: NK Drops Expedia

Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:39 am

US had a big spat with Expedia a year or two back where US stopped selling their tickets on Expedia until they could get their fees reduced. I think you'll see more and more of this in the future.
I'm the expert on here on two things, neither of which I care about much anymore.

Tornado82

Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:11 am

Why bother booking with Expedia anyways? Find out who has the cheapest itinerary for that route, then go directly to the airline's website to book it. You'll save at least the $5 Expedia.com booking fee, and sometimes the airlines even perk it more than that on their own websites. And almost all the legacies have "Guaranteed Lowest Price" pricing on their own websites, which guarantees you Expedia, et al won't beat them on their own flights.

LGAtoIND

Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:01 am

I completley agree. If you are just booking flights, the airline's websites are almost always a little cheaper than expedia, orbitz, cheaptickets, etc. IMHO those websites are good for booking combination hotel/air/rental car deals, as there can be a discount if you get all those from the same place.

hawaiian717

Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:30 am

Aside from packaging (which some of the airline sites can do), the other reason to go with a site like Expedia is that they will combine different airlines to get a lower fare. You can often do this on your own by buying separate tickets, but there can be advantages to booking all the flights together.

Sometimes there are cases where the third party sites are cheaper than the airline's site. I've seen Priceline's "pick your flights" option have a lower fare for a SFO-OGG ticket on ATA than on ATA.com had for the same flights. I've also seen Orbitz have a low fare on the flights I wanted, where United.com had the same fare but not for the flights I wanted.

Tornado82

Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:03 am

The problem with that "packaging" is that if you miss a connection because of say the UA flight being delayed/cancelled, the TZ flight you'll be screwed. It's been mentioned in a few threads here in the past.

CHI787ORD

Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:19 am

In terms of internet sites though, I'd say Orbitz is the best. The search is always very thorough especially on international routes.

SHUPirate1

Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:24 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 5):
The problem with that "packaging" is that if you miss a connection because of say the UA flight being delayed/cancelled, the TZ flight you'll be screwed. It's been mentioned in a few threads here in the past.

Tornado-Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't these sorts of flights usually on paper tickets, and on one specific airlines' "ticket stock", making it their responsibility if there is such a misconnect?
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

jjbiv

Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:20 pm

Airlines are only responsible for interline misconnects if the entire itinerary is on one (or conjunctive) tickets. If you buy two separate tickets and string them together yourself, you are on your own if things go sour.

joe

nkops

Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:40 pm

Quoting CHI787ORD (Reply 6):
In terms of internet sites though, I'd say Orbitz is the best.

I agree. Isn't Orbitz jointly owned by several airlines??
:evil:

jacobin777

Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:51 pm

Quoting Nkops (Reply 9):
I agree. Isn't Orbitz jointly owned by several airlines??

they used to be owned by a consortium of few airlines, including UA, AA..but those companies have sold their shares in the company a while ago...
"Up the Irons!"

N801NW

Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:59 pm

Orbitz became a publicly held company (ORBZ) and last year the airlines cashed out entirely when the company was sold to Cendant Corp.

Cendant owns cheaptickets.com and Galileo (GDS) among other things. Orbitz had signed a ten year deal with Worldspan not terribly long before they were sold so they wont have any synergy there for a while. I don't know how much O* uses the GDS as they are directly connected to most of the major airlines through SupplierLink.