aseem

UK Threatens To Ban PIA

Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:28 pm

Britain threatens to ban Pakistan airlines' flights

Under pressure to check human smuggling from Pakistan, Britain has threatened to ban flights of Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) if Islamabad doesn't urgently sign an agreement to prevent the practice.

Interior Minister Aftab Sherpao and Interior Secretary Syed Kamal Shah had told Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz at a cabinet meeting that Britain would ban PIA flights unless a memorandum of understanding (MoU) on "managed immigration of illegal Pakistanis" was not signed on an urgent basis.

Hindustan Times
seems like a fallout of 7/7, but can be totally unrelated as they maybe contemplating long before...
rgds
VT-ASJ
ala re ala, VT-ALA ala

Capt.Fantastic

RE: UK Threatens To Ban PIA

Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:09 pm

I don't quite understand the logic here: Isn't it the job of the British immigration officials to deal with illegal aliens? Why ban PIA? This doesn't make much sense to me. Its interesting that most of the flights from the USA to Pakistan go via the UK - so where would they go now?

LeonB1985

Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:19 pm

Isn't the airline responsible for ensuring that the passengers have the correct documentation to legally enter the destination country? I'm sure I've heard of airlines confiscating passenger passports where they think the passengers may destroy them, e.g. to apply for asylum. I think the airlines can be fined quite heavily.
From the construction site that is better-known as London Heathrow Airport

Catatonic

Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:30 pm

Quoting Capt.Fantastic (Reply 1):
I don't quite understand the logic here: Isn't it the job of the British immigration officials to deal with illegal aliens? Why ban PIA? This doesn't make much sense to me. Its interesting that most of the flights from the USA to Pakistan go via the UK - so where would they go now?

Its a failing in PIA's security which enables these people to get on board the flight. The problem is when they arrive in this country there is a long process involved in deporting them which can result in appeal after appeal etc.
Equally Cursed and Blessed.

trident2e

Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:39 pm

Quoting Aseem (Thread starter):
seems like a fallout of 7/7

Why, were Pakistani citizens responsible?

aseem

Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:01 am

Quoting Trident2e (Reply 4):
Why, were Pakistani citizens responsible?

are such restrictions ever so rational? As an Indian citizen I have so many restrictions. Were Indian citizens responsible for anything?
rgds
VT-ASJ
ala re ala, VT-ALA ala

trident2e

Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:25 am

Quoting Aseem (Reply 5):
are such restrictions ever so rational? As an Indian citizen I have so many restrictions. Were Indian citizens responsible for anything?
rgds

What are you talking about?

B707Stu

Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:28 am

Interesting development. I'm sure PIA will comply. They can't afford to lose MAN, LHR and BHX. I'm sure British intelligence has been aware of this for sometime or it wouldn't be coming to light now. It's not something that just appears, it's obviously being watched closely.

aseem

Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:36 am

Quoting Trident2e (Reply 6):
What are you talking about?

seems to have gone completely off-topic..lets dump it!!
ala re ala, VT-ALA ala

Gman94

Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:40 am

It's no different to the British governement fining truck drivers who bring in illegal immigrants and asylum seekers on their trucks from Continental Europe. Whether you know about it or not it, it is the carriers responsbility to get the problem under control.
British Airways - The Way To Fly

egghead

Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:43 am

This is old news and has nothing to do with 7/7. Complete article (published July 6th, Business Recorder Daily) is at:

http://www.businessrecorder.com/inde...No=1&query=&search=&term=&supDate=

India, Afghanstan, Turkey and Sri Lanka have already signed similar agreements, Govt. of Pakistan was dragging its feet. Emphasis is on devising a mechanism to deport illelagal aliens. PIA, Air India, Biman and other airlines from that part of the world are doing a very good job of stopping asylum seekers before they board.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos