LAXintl

JetBlue Airways To Start Up In Newark

Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:44 pm

Beginning Oct. 5, JetBlue will introduce up to 15 daily non-stop flights from Newark Airport's Terminal A to Fort Lauderdale, Orlando, Tampa, West Palm Beach and Fort Myers. Once-a-day service to San Juan is scheduled to begin Nov. 17.

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/index....news-1/1121146674286360.xml&coll=1

[Edited 2005-07-12 11:45:31]
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

dutchjet

RE: JetBlue Airways To Start Up In Newark

Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:33 pm

I cant open the link, but I have no reason to believe that this news is not true. A couple of comments:

1. Its funny, we have been speculating for so long about which city JetBlue will serve next, and they end up in their own back yard: EWR. It makes sense, I think, Jetblue has become quite popular in the NYC area with all types of travellers and the NYC-Florida routes are the backbone of the airline, why not capitalize on this and start service at EWR.

2. CO cant be happy about this, but CO will certainly hold its ground on the EWR-Florida routes and not make life very easy for JetBlue. When JetBlue opened at JFK, the domestic market was wide-open, but things are different at EWR which is a CO strong-hold. CO is a good airline with a good product and a loyal following in the NYC (especially NJ) area and I would not expect pax to quickly dump CO in favor of JetBlue. The two airlines will compete strongly - but I think that many of the pax that end up on JetBlue would have flown with them anyway from LGA or JFK, EWR will be a new option for them.

3. I guess we should not look for Song to return to EWR anytime soon - nothing against the Song product, but with CO and JetBlue at EWR, why would they go back?

4. If JetBlue does its normal thing, I would guess of the 15 flights, 1 will be SJU as pointed out, about 7 will fly EWR-FLL, and the remaining 7 will be divided among the other cities. With Jetblue putting so much new capacity into the EWR-Florida markets (not to mention LGA-FLL opening last year), it will have some impact over at JFK.....but maybe that is the idea, space is tight over at JFK, and maybe some JFK-Florida flights can be cut so that some new routes can be opened out of JetBlue's homebase at JFK.

5. Will JetBlue's operations at EWR be further developed with more routes added, or will the EWR operation be a niche to take advantage of the huge NYC-Florida market - thats the big question. The answer, of course, depends on the success of the initial routes......as I said before, CO is not going to make it easy for JetBlue, I predict that JetBlue will stick with EWR-FLorida and while some flights will be added, JFK will remain JetBLues primary NYC airport with LGA and EWR offering some choice to pax on the Florida routes.

6. Will the E190s fly some of the new EWR-Florida routes?

7. Its going to be interesting to see what happens at FLL - JetBLue is already very short on space at FLL with 2 gates in one concourse and 1 gate in the other concourse of the new terminal building - where are they going to put another 6 to 8 flights per day? Unless, of course, its not an issue, if some JFK-FLL flights (and there can be up to 20 per day) are cut to allow for the new service to EWR.

rjpieces

Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:40 pm

Wow, interesting news. EWR is a very busy airport for them to setup shop at. I'm guessing this will be similiar to their operation at LGA--Not meant as a central base like JFK but to add an alternative to JFK that will bring more traffic. They won't be operating EWR-SLC for example. EWR will be primarily for Florida traffic, which there is plenty of.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

WDBRR

Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:47 pm

Where is JetBlue going to operate 15 flights a day out of
Terminal A at EWR? It's pretty tight already, they must
need 2 gates? or maybe 1 and share another one?
Is the PANYNJ taking it from Continental in A?

rjpieces

Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:50 pm

Quoting Dutchjet (Reply 1):
2. CO cant be happy about this, but CO will certainly hold its ground on the EWR-Florida routes and not make life very easy for JetBlue. When JetBlue opened at JFK, the domestic market was wide-open, but things are different at EWR which is a CO strong-hold. CO is a good airline with a good product and a loyal following in the NYC (especially NJ) area and I would not expect pax to quickly dump CO in favor of JetBlue.

CO does have a very loyal following at EWR, but the whole point of a LCC is to stimulate previously non-existant demand, something they've done well at JFK. With EWR-Florida flights, they won't have to (nor will they) steal CO's premium pax.

The two airlines will compete strongly - but I think that many of the pax that end up on JetBlue would have flown with them anyway from LGA or JFK, EWR will be a new option for them.

Hmmm, I wonder about that. If I lived in NJ and found a cheap flight out to LGB or SEA on B6, I'd take the drive but for Florida flights there are many options in that area, not to mention WN in PHI. Perhaps it will give another option to Manhattan passengers who could now choose between JFK,LGA, and EWR.....

. If JetBlue does its normal thing, I would guess of the 15 flights, 1 will be SJU as pointed out, about 7 will fly EWR-FLL, and the remaining 7 will be divided among the other cities.

Agreed. The majority of flights will be EWR-FLL probably.

With Jetblue putting so much new capacity into the EWR-Florida markets (not to mention LGA-FLL opening last year), it will have some impact over at JFK.....but maybe that is the idea, space is tight over at JFK, and maybe some JFK-Florida flights can be cut so that some new routes can be opened out of JetBlue's homebase at JFK.

I don't think it will affect JFK. JFK and LGA split the FLL operation fairly well, with 7X LGA-FLL and 11X JFK-FLL this winter. Perhaps they'll cut 1 or 2 JFK-FLL but a large reduction is unlikely since as you mentioned, JFK-FLL is their backbone.

. Will JetBlue's operations at EWR be further developed with more routes added, or will the EWR operation be a niche to take advantage of the huge NYC-Florida market - thats the big question. The answer, of course, depends on the success of the initial routes......as I said before, CO is not going to make it easy for JetBlue, I predict that JetBlue will stick with EWR-FLorida and while some flights will be added, JFK will remain JetBLues primary NYC airport with LGA and EWR offering some choice to pax on the Florida routes

Well, if B6 were interested in developing non-JFK NYC airports, they would expand more at LGA before opening a new station at EWR. I would bet they are just tapping into their core market at another NYC airport...Any new non-Florida routes will be out of JFK.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

LAXintl

Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:41 pm

The planned route break down is as follows;

EWR-FLL>5
EWR-MCO>5
EWR-PBI>2
EWR-TPA>2
EWR-RSW>1
EWR-SJU>1
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

FA4B6

Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:53 pm

"Leap! And the net will appear."

FA4B6

Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:55 pm

This is great news!!

I hope that LGB, OAK, and NAS follow soon!

Congrats B6!
"Leap! And the net will appear."

ERJ170

Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:57 pm

So I guess it wasn't MIA.. interesting..

so the next new city won't be announced till next year? Wasn't the rumor that there would be one more city .. ie EWR? Onward to 2006 new city guesses...
Aiming High and going far..

ERJ170

Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:03 pm

BTW.. here is more jetBlue news from USAToday

JetBlue will have seven of the Brazilian-made Embraers in service by the end of the year, and 43 by the end of 2007, giving the No. 2 U.S. airline by market value a second equipment type alongside its larger Airbus 320 jets.

"The 100-seater allows you economics where you can get some low fares out there," JetBlue founder and Chief Executive David Neeleman told Reuters in an interview last week. "They're going to be everywhere."

The airline may serve destinations like Raleigh and Greensboro in North Carolina and Richmond, Virginia — cities now serviced by less-comfortable 50-seat regional jets with walk-up fares of up to $700, he said.

Neeleman said JetBlue would offer fares about one third of that price.

"You've got to be pretty excited about that," he said.

Flights linking New York and Boston are also a possibility, especially with the recent brake problems experienced by Amtrak's high-speed Acela trains, Neeleman said.

So perhaps the E90 will fill in the gaps between the NorthEast and Florida first after all.. or perhaps it's just PR hoopla!

flymia

Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:25 pm

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 8):
So I guess it wasn't MIA.. interesting..

MIA is supposed to be announced in September. The launch for MIA is tentatively set for January 2006.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

Indio66

Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:29 pm

3:15 AM arrival in San Juan? Ouch!

Seriously, very interesting expansion and it will be great to have more choices to florida in the fall and winter.

ERJ170

Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:37 pm

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 10):
MIA is supposed to be announced in September. The launch for MIA is tentatively set for January 2006.

So is MIA still set to be launch with 10 city pairs or 10 flights or something like that..?

rjpieces

Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:53 pm

With flights to where?

Anybody know which 2 gates B6 will use at EWR?

crogalski

Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:04 pm

JETBLUE PLANS TO SERVE NEWARK LIBERTY INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

-- New York City’s Largest Domestic Airline to Launch with six Destinations, offering up to 16 Daily Departures to Florida and Puerto Rico with Introductory fares starting from $69* each way --

New York, NY (July 12, 2005) – JetBlue Airways, [NASDAQ: JBLU] New York City’s largest domestic airline, today announced that it plans to commence new service from Newark Liberty International Airport beginning October 5, with introductory fares starting from $69* each way.

JetBlue plans to begin service to Fort Lauderdale, Orlando, West Palm Beach, Tampa, and Fort Myers, FL, in October, and to add daily nonstop service between Newark and San Juan, Puerto Rico, starting November 17. The low-fare carrier expects to operate all flights from Terminal A.

To launch this new service, JetBlue will offer introductory sale fares between Newark and Fort Lauderdale, Orlando, West Palm Beach, Tampa or Fort Myers, FL, starting from $69* each way and between Newark and San Juan starting from $99* each way. Sale fares must be purchased by July 26 for travel through December 14, 2005. Seats are limited and customers are encouraged to book early. Blackouts dates of November 22 through November 28 will apply to all introductory sale fares.

JetBlue’s regular one-way fares between Newark and Fort Lauderdale, Orlando, West Palm Beach, Tampa and Fort Myers, FL, will range from $89* to $259* each way and regular one-way fares between Newark and San Juan will range from $124* to $299* each way, when booked at www.jetblue.com or by calling 1-800-JETBLUE.

New Jersey Acting Governor Richard J. Codey said, "New Jersey welcomes JetBlue to Newark International Airport, one of the nation's premier facilities. JetBlue's arrival means more flights, more flexibility and more competition for the millions drawn to the convenience of Newark International Airport."

“As highlighted in our 10-year strategic plan, the Port Authority considers the expansion of air travel an essential element to increasing the economic strength of our region. The arrival of JetBlue Airways at Newark Liberty International Airport advances this objective by enabling New Jersey residents to benefit from additional high-quality service at one of the nation’s finest aviation facilities,” said Port Authority Chairman Anthony R. Coscia.

“JetBlue plans to liberate Newark this fall with low-fares and award-winning service,” said David Neeleman, JetBlue’s CEO. “We’ve been hearing from customers just how much they wanted JetBlue to come to Newark. With the addition of Newark to the family this fall, JetBlue will offer 77 daily flights to Florida - the most between the greater New York metropolitan area and Florida of any airline. Now that’s a convenient schedule!”

JetBlue’s flight schedules from Newark Liberty will be:

Newark (EWR) to Fort Lauderdale, FL (FLL)
Fort Lauderdale to Newark

Depart - Arrive
Depart - Arrive

6:25am – 9:30am
6:45am – 9:40am (eff. 10/6/05)

10:20am – 1:35pm
10:10am – 1:00pm

1:40pm – 4:35pm
1:25pm – 4:30pm

5:10pm – 8:30pm
5:15pm – 8:25pm

9:05pm – 11:59pm
9:10pm – 11:59pm

Newark (EWR) to Orlando, FL (MCO)
Orlando to Newark

Depart - Arrive
Depart - Arrive

7:25am – 10:10am
8:00am – 10:40am

11:20am – 2:15pm
11:25am – 2:05pm

3:15pm – 6:05pm
3:10pm – 6:00pm

6:40pm – 9:35pm
6:45pm – 9:40pm

9:15pm – 11:45pm (eff. 11/22/05)
9:55pm – 12:05am (eff. 11/22/05)

Newark (EWR) to West Palm Beach, FL (PBI)
West Palm Beach to Newark

Depart - Arrive
Depart - Arrive

7:55am – 10:45am (eff. 10/19/05)
11:25am – 2:10pm (eff. 10/19/05)

5:50pm – 8:40pm (eff. 11/1/05)
2:15pm – 5:10pm (eff. 11/1/05)

Newark (EWR) to Tampa, FL (TPA)
Tampa to Newark

Depart - Arrive
Depart - Arrive

10:30am – 1:10pm (eff. 10/19/05)
6:55am – 9:50am (eff. 10/19/05)

6:40pm – 9:35pm (eff. 10/19/05)
3:10pm – 6:00pm (eff. 10/19/05)

Newark (EWR) to Fort Myers, FL (RSW)
Fort Myers to Newark

Depart - Arrive
Depart - Arrive

1:50pm – 4:50pm (eff. 10/19/05)
5:30pm – 8:25pm (eff. 10/19/05)

Newark (EWR) to San Juan, PR (SJU)
San Juan to Newark

Depart - Arrive
Depart - Arrive

10:35pm – 3:15am (eff. 11/17/05)
4:10am – 7:00am (eff. 11/18/05)

JetBlue is a low-fare, low-cost passenger airline, which provides high-quality customer service. JetBlue operates a fleet of 77 new Airbus A320 aircraft and plans to add seven additional A320s and seven Embraer E190s to its fleet in 2005. Based at New York City's John F. Kennedy International Airport, JetBlue currently operates 314 flights a day and serves 32 destinations in 13 states, Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic and The Bahamas.

All JetBlue aircraft feature roomy leather seats; all equipped with an in-seat digital entertainment system offering 36 channels of free DIRECTV(r) programming - no other airline offers more live satellite TV options. On flights longer than two hours, a selection of first-run movies and bonus features from FOX InFlight is also available.**

With JetBlue, all seats are assigned, all travel is ticketless, all fares are one-way, and an overnight stay is never required. For more information, schedules and fares, please visit www.jetblue.com or call JetBlue reservations at 1-800-JETBLUE (538-2583), 1-888-538-2583 if calling from Puerto Rico, or 1-200-9898 if calling from the Dominican Republic. This press release, as well as past press releases, can be found on www.jetblue.com.
A319 A320 A321 A330 B717 B727 B737 B747 B757 B767 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 DC9 E145 E190 MD88 Q400 | AA AB B6 CO DL EI FL NK

MAH4546

Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:17 pm

I'm not surprised that they are announcing Newark. This has been expected. However, I am surprised they are doing more than just EWR-FLL. They may have a tough time on the non-SFL routes, because Continental and others are better posed to keep market share, whereareas they have such strong client bases in NYC and SFL, that the FLL and PBI flights should do fine.

Wonder how long until Song is flying to EWR again.

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 12):
So is MIA still set to be launch with 10 city pairs or 10 flights or something like that..?

Yes, MIA is tentatively set for a January 2006 launch date with flights to New York City and Boston, and probably Dulles and Long Beach. They will be using Concourse F at MIA, and it will be ten daily flights at first. With the Newark announcement, MIA-EWR is probably likely as well.
a.

dallas74

Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:38 pm

I like JetBlue, but I am concerned about their city selections. They continue to add delay prone cities to the mix (LGA / EWR) which will take their toll on customer satisfaction and aircraft utilization. Given the fact DFW is begging for an LCC to start up there to fill the DL void I think there are better cities to focus on other than EWR.

This is the first time JBLU is going to compete against an airline with a clue. They took over JFK as AA and DL watched and then took FLL from DL and U in short order. Continental (like Northwest) likes their hubs just the way they are. This should be interesting.

MAH4546

Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:51 pm

Quoting Dallas74 (Reply 16):
I like JetBlue, but I am concerned about their city selections. They continue to add delay prone cities to the mix (LGA / EWR) which will take their toll on customer satisfaction and aircraft utilization. Given the fact DFW is begging for an LCC to start up there to fill the DL void I think there are better cities to focus on other than EWR.

This is the first time JBLU is going to compete against an airline with a clue. They took over JFK as AA and DL watched and then took FLL from DL and U in short order. Continental (like Northwest) likes their hubs just the way they are. This should be interesting.

You imply that CO will protect their EWR operation and EWR isn't the best idea for jetBlue (despite the fact there is no new customer base to create and only minimal advertising expenses), and then you go on to say that jetBlue should fly to Dallas? Are you forgetting about AA?
a.

RAMPRAT980

Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:02 pm

Quoting WDBRR (Reply 3):
Is the PANYNJ taking it from Continental in A?

Continental is expanding its operation out of A-2, recently acquiring two more gates. They currently use 21-22-24-25-26a-26b-27-28. Flying to Washington DC airports, Chicago airports, Atlanta, Dallas, Seattle(air Alaska).
So I can say for certain that the PA won't be taking anything away from CO. Jet Blue will probably work out of terminal A-1 or A-3.

Quoting Crogalski (Reply 14):
New Jersey Acting Governor Richard J. Codey

OH GOD NOW HE THINKS HE'S AN ACTOR.
With gun control there can be no democracy.. With gun control there can be no Freedom

exFATboy

Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:06 pm

Very interesting move. I have a lot of friends in northern New Jersey, and several of them have mentioned that they wished B6 served EWR.

CO should be able to handle the competition pretty well, although they could see a little erosion in yield, especially if B6 adds more flights to TPA later and eventually starts service to SRQ. (At the fares they charge, EWR-SRQ has to be a gold mine for CO.)

If anyone is going to get hurt by this, it'll be AirTran - all other things being equal, non-stop service to Florida is more attractive then connecting at ATL. But I don't see any significant impact to FL - there's plenty of Florida business to go around.

luv2fly

Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:12 pm

Well so much for Song promoting itself as flying from all the major NY airports, how soon before they are back in EWR!
You can cut the irony with a knife

rjpieces

Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:28 pm

Hmmmm, I've been going through the proposed EWR schedule and there seems to be a problem....

There are flights that arrive at 1:00(FLL), 2;05(MCO), and 2:10 PM (PBI). There are flights leaving at 1:40 (to FLL), 1:50 (RSW), and 3:15 (MCO). I don't see where the aircraft arrives from that turns and operates the 1:50 RSW flight. It seems like every flight before it is matched with another one....Could somebody explain this to me?

ikramerica

Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:29 pm

San Juan to Newark

Depart - Arrive
Depart - Arrive

I would imagine they got the AM/PM swapped on this one.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

WesternA318

Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:30 pm

I dunno about anyone else, but my loyalty rests with CO/F9. I live in Queens and still would rather fly out of EWR on CO than JFK on anyone else. I know it sounds nutz, but I would rather pay the $450-$500 for my domestic flights on CO, just because I think it's worth it.
Check out my blog at fl310travel.blogspot.com!

RJNUT

Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:32 pm

I think they are smart to concentrate on their NY home turf since the awareness is certainly huge and since they only book thru their website, the thinner the markets they enter into , say, the Midwest, the harder time they are going to have in exposing their services.

phatfarmlines

Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:33 pm

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 21):
Hmmmm, I've been going through the proposed EWR schedule and there seems to be a problem....

There are flights that arrive at 1:00(FLL), 2;05(MCO), and 2:10 PM (PBI). There are flights leaving at 1:40 (to FLL), 1:50 (RSW), and 3:15 (MCO). I don't see where the aircraft arrives from that turns and operates the 1:50 RSW flight. It seems like every flight before it is matched with another one....Could somebody explain this to me?

Maybe there's going to be a schedule change coming in October for JFK and BOS?

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 22):
San Juan to Newark

Depart - Arrive
Depart - Arrive

I would imagine they got the AM/PM swapped on this one.

Nope, these are actual red-eye flights. Check the B6 website, the times are correct.

STT757

Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:33 pm

Briefly from the Star Ledger article (Im at a computer right now where I can't cut and paste);

All A320 flights

These are the extent of their plans for EWR, except perhaps for more frequencies. Concentrating on their JFK operation and lack of available space at EWR were mentioned as restraints.

My own view is that they most likely will be using two gates in the A-1 conourse occupied by UAL who does not need all 9 gates there.

CO has had competition on these routes ever since they established the EWR hub, over the years there has been competition from Eastern, KIWI, Carnival, USA 3000, Delta, Delta Express, Song etc..

This will most likely fuel rumors of CO accuiring the rest of ATA's 757-300 fleet (currently the are taking 8 of the 12), CO will use the 757-300 with it's low Seat mile costs to compete.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

dallas74

Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:39 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 17):
You imply that CO will protect their EWR operation and EWR isn't the best idea for jetBlue (despite the fact there is no new customer base to create and only minimal advertising expenses), and then you go on to say that jetBlue should fly to Dallas? Are you forgetting about AA?

I didn't forget AA. The case in DFW is much different than EWR. The DFW airport authority is actively soliciting and encouraging new entrants (including incredible incentives for Southwest) to move to DFW.

Unlike EWR which is crowded and prone to many delays - DFW has available gates. AA is well aware it needs another airline at DFW (like DL was) to help it with the costs of the airport and realizes it has to play nice to keep DFW viable. They might not like JBLU coming to town, but it sure beats DFW airport not having the money for capital improvements.

Continental does not need to play nice given the fact EWR does not really have the room for a new entrant - nor does it want one.

DFW and EWR are two entirely different airports and situations.

rjpieces

Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:07 am

Maybe there's going to be a schedule change coming in October for JFK and BOS?

Perhaps, but that wouldn't change the EWR aircraft situation......

I tried to make a schedule in Excel of B6 using two gates at EWR and there is definitly a whole there.

COEWR

Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:27 am

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 4):
If I lived in NJ and found a cheap flight out to LGB or SEA on B6, I'd take the drive

I grew up 20 miles west of EWR. It took me about 30 mins to get there from my house. JFK is another 2 hours past that. So you say you would rather take the drive to get a better deal, but how much more time and gas money will you need to get to JFK?

On a side note, ironic how I wanted to try B6 while I was living in Florida and now that I live in Seattle they decide to start service to EWR!

-C

N77014

Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:44 am

Some points here:

*Yields in the EWR-Florida markets are already rock bottom for CO. B6 flooding the market with more flights can't help. Unlike Sprit, Carnival, etc., B6 has the clout and cash on hand to withstand a fare war with the likes of CO. And CO has lost transcons to OAK and SMF, indirectly with B6. I don't see the situation improving anymore here.

*For B6, EWR is a natural extension. It is low risk as they enter an area where passengers are already familiar with them, and they add traffic from fence sitters who initially balked at the JFK transit.

*it is a foregone conclusion that these Florida routes will succeed. It does interest me to see if they expand next to the transcon market; EWR to OAK, LGB, SAN, SJC, SMF; they could do damage to yields to CO, as well as AA and UA transcons from here.
A new life awaits you in the Off-World Colonies...

MAH4546

Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:52 am

Quoting N77014 (Reply 30):
*it is a foregone conclusion that these Florida routes will succeed. It does interest me to see if they expand next to the transcon market; EWR to OAK, LGB, SAN, SJC, SMF; they could do damage to yields to CO, as well as AA and UA transcons from here.

I would be surprised if they go past Florida and Puerto Rico. In fact, the original plan for Newark was seven daily flights to FLL and nothing more.

And look for service to Islip and Stewart too in the future. Islip will only be FLL because of Southwest's dominance in the market, but I would not look for it until October 2006 at the earliest.

SWF will be FLL/MCO/TPA and is pending an SCAD grant, so it could start by January/February 2006.
a.

phatfarmlines

Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:59 am

Quoting N77014 (Reply 30):
Unlike Sprit, Carnival, etc., B6 has the clout and cash on hand to withstand a fare war with the likes of CO.

In addition, B6 is starting EWR with an agreesive flight schedule and ASMs. I don't think Kiwi, Carnival, or any other small carrier that operated EWR-Florida in the past has had 16 departures or that many ASMs out of EWR ever.

N77014

Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:03 am

It would be low risk to expand beyond Florida:

*B6 is a known player in the market; customers in EWR see their advertising and have probably flown them anyway.

*With a crew base in JFK, setting up a co-terminal in EWR is easier than trying to open, say, ATL.

*There is room for a low cost transcon player from EWR.

*CO is preoccupied with growing traffic and yields to Europe, a market they can still compete in. Florida? A different story nowadays.

MAH4546

Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:05 am

Quoting N77014 (Reply 33):

Like ATA?  Wink
a.

padcrasher

Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:14 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 15):
Yes, MIA is tentatively set for a January 2006 launch date with flights to New York City and Boston, and probably Dulles and Long Beach. They will be using Concourse F at MIA, and it will be ten daily flights at first. With the Newark announcement, MIA-EWR is probably likely as

So if JB's plans for MIA will be as big as BOS (200 flights), (i think I read that), then what is AA going to do? Sit back and watch? Or are all these planned International routes going to need to wait?

lightsaber
Crew

Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:20 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 31):
And look for service to Islip and Stewart too in the future. Islip will only be FLL because of Southwest's dominance in the market, but I would not look for it until October 2006 at the earliest.

Interesting. I was wondering if B6 would focus more on Boston and "point to point" on the east coast... I could see Stewart. Islip I'm 50/50 on. Why? While it would offload JFK, it is asking WN to pay way to much attention to B6... But then again, serving 5 NYC airports would let B6 "lock down" the NYC to FL market... Also, does Islip have gates available or does WN own all of them?

Now think of how fast B6 will begin to expand once the E190's are in the fleet. Wow that will be fun to follow.

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

N77014

Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:20 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 34):

Like ATA?

Poor analogy. TZ never offered anything to make a legacy carrier flier want to jump ship.

B6 does.

ltbewr

Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:28 am

Whoopee!!! An airline that will serve FLA with style and reasonable fares out of my hometown area airport, EWR. I avoid JFK and LGA like the plague as very inconvenient for me. It will also affect the pricing of CO, others at EWR, so it can be a win-win situation for customers and of course, there are never enough seats at peak seasons. Probably many of the JetBlue users will be those whom wanted to try it, but didn't want to trek to LGA/JFK and not a frequent flyer on any airline, especially CO.

MAH4546

Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:35 am

Quoting Padcrasher (Reply 35):
So if JB's plans for MIA will be as big as BOS (200 flights), (i think I read that), then what is AA going to do? Sit back and watch? Or are all these planned International routes going to need to wait?

jetBlue's plans for Boston are more like 50-60 daily flights, or at least that is what I thought. I should have been more clear with what I said though. jetBlue's plans for MIA are like BOS route structure-wise. In terms of how many daily flights jetBlue will have. After about a year of MIA operations, it will probably be in the mid/high-20s.

Quoting Lightsaber (Reply 36):
Interesting. I was wondering if B6 would focus more on Boston and "point to point" on the east coast... I could see Stewart. Islip I'm 50/50 on. Why? While it would offload JFK, it is asking WN to pay way to much attention to B6... But then again, serving 5 NYC airports would let B6 "lock down" the NYC to FL market... Also, does Islip have gates available or does WN own all of them?

Islip service is to serve the huge demand between Long Island and Fort Lauderdale. Despite Southwest's dominance in the Islip market, jetBlue clearly thinks there are enough people on Long Island and enough people in South Florida to make ISP-FLL work. The MCO/TPA-ISP markets are more price sensitive and Southwest is much stronger in MCO/TPA and relatively weak in FLL, so there are no plans for anything other than FLL-ISP. Though Islip service is a long ways off.

Quoting N77014 (Reply 37):
Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 34):

Like ATA?

Poor analogy. TZ never offered anything to make a legacy carrier flier want to jump ship.

True.
a.

Carfield

Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:56 am

Wow, what a surprise!

Of course, I can't resist booking the first flight arriving into Newark... So I will be on MCO-EWR 8am flight... hopefully I can have another Jetblue's new destination poster... added to my collection.

I honestly don't think Continental will feel threatened in a major way, but a fare war is certainly on the making, and I don't think CO will just sit there and seeing its market being invaded. Jeblue is a surprise and has won a large loyal following. With those CO's Boeing 757-300s (thankfully at least CO brings back the larger F cabin), I think Jetblue's Airbus A320 is a very nice alternative -- good legroom and wider seats with PTVs.

I will report back of course...

Carfield

FLAIRPORT

Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:22 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 31):
I would be surprised if they go past Florida and Puerto Rico. In fact, the original plan for Newark was seven daily flights to FLL and nothing more.

SWF will be FLL/MCO/TPA and is pending an SCAD grant, so it could start by January/February 2006.

NO NO NO! Where is BDL in this? Come on B6, BDL...perfect...I have to fly song now and I want my B6 fix!

Quoting Padcrasher (Reply 35):
So if JB's plans for MIA will be as big as BOS (200 flights),

Wow...hold on...reading that...jetBlue is going through another rapid expansion here. Is this a good idea...only time will tell, but I think that they might be flooding things a little much here.

My opinions on EWR-FLL...
* CO will have its following...people pay the premium to fly CO and nothing will stop that. I prefer CO to B6, personally...but can't afford it. Now, however, CO will have to lower its prices, so it may be more affordable to fly it. Remember too, that CO has its connecting passengers from around the world, something B6 is lacking.

* B6 will probably now have 4 gates...B8, B9, C4, C6 with occasional use of C8 and C7...should be intersting if they decided to do their EWR flights out of C concourse!

* This will have no effect on LGA...people enjoy the convinence of LGA...it may take a flight or two from JFK, but even that it too far away to have an infulence.

*This should be interesting...I would definently like to try B6 from EWR, but it probably won't happen. It should be interesting to see how it does effect my travel plans on BDL-FLL now, however.

Good luck to B6 and enjoy EWR, one of my favorite airports.

EDIT:
One more very important note... this is what B6 wanted to do with LGA...they never got the slots...would've been interesting to see if EWR would have been "just a FLL" city or if it would have been expaneded to this magnitude if they got the slots.

MIA expansion: At this point seems like a bad idea...they need to slow down expansion a little and focus on maybe a spring opening. It seems like they may be trying to add too much capacity, and that worries me. Also, if they had done something like this with ATL, I have a feeling they would be happily serving ATL to this day.

One more interesting note, PBI has been added to EWR, still no BOS service. I know that PBI-EWR is a big route, but I would have thought BOS might be added as well.

Overall, I'm happy...upset at no BDL, but happy to see B6 expand at FLL

Also, will we be seeing Song return to FLL from EWR as well?

[Edited 2005-07-12 19:36:01]
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

rjpieces

Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:23 am

I grew up 20 miles west of EWR. It took me about 30 mins to get there from my house. JFK is another 2 hours past that. So you say you would rather take the drive to get a better deal, but how much more time and gas money will you need to get to JFK?

People do. I think I read in one of those articles that 6% of B6 pax come from New Jersey. That is a lot seeing how far NJ can be from JFK. LCCs always get some pax who will drive futher for a lower fare.

Any chance of the 190s flying White Plains-FLL?

JBLUA320

Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:26 am

GREAT news! I've been waiting for this!!

JBLU

dutchjet

Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:27 am

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 42):

I really dont think so, HPN is a very expensive airport to operate out of and caters almost exclusively to high fare business travellers......but I could be wrong.

I think that SWF will be JetBlue's next greater NYC airport - as pointed out above.

Cory6188

Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:27 am

I wonder how much of a bloodbath this is going to turn into...

CO isn't a poorly-run airline by any means, and knowing how they responded to TZ starting EWR-SFO, causing them to withdraw within months, I can only imagine how they will respond to B6.

I would predict 10-11 flights a day to each of B6's cities with 753s at ridiculously low prices, just enough to make B6 leave. DL and AirTran managed to get B6 out of ATL, but EWR may be another story.

FLAIRPORT

Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:31 am

Quoting Cory6188 (Reply 45):
I would predict 10-11 flights a day to each of B6's cities with 753s at ridiculously low prices, just enough to make B6 leave. DL and AirTran managed to get B6 out of ATL, but EWR may be another story.

And with it being a CO hub, they make all the money back on connecting passengers...HAHAHAHA  devil 
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

RAMPRAT980

Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:32 am

Quoting COEWR (Reply 29):

Its human nature to shop around for the lowest fare. What gets me are those who will fly on a airline just because they saved five or ten dollars only to spend what they saved in airfare, at the airport, on an iced double latte.

But on a serious note I'm sure there will be some sort of a airfare war between JBLU and CO. Who's stats for involuntary boardings are lower CO or JBLU ?
With gun control there can be no democracy.. With gun control there can be no Freedom

Cory6188

Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:36 am

B6 by a long shot - their general policy is not to overbook flights. However, that's not really a deciding factor for most people when it comes to booking travel. Everyone expects that it will be an issue.

I can only imagine what must be going on at Smith Street right now....

MAH4546

Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:37 am

Quoting FLAIRPORT (Reply 41):
One more very important note... this is what B6 wanted to do with LGA...they never got the slots

jetBlue never asked for more than 14 slots at LGA. They got all 14 of them to operate FLL-LGA. In fact, originally they only wanted 10 slots. (1 slot=1 take/off or landing)

Quoting FLAIRPORT (Reply 41):
MIA expansion: At this point seems like a bad idea...they need to slow down expansion a little and focus on maybe a spring opening.

A spring opening, so that they can miss the January-March traffic when the MIA-NYC route is busiest? jetBlue wants to launch MIA sooner, but doesn't have enough planes to go around. jetBlue is, for the first time, losing a fair amount of customers (myself, once a loyal jetBlue flyer, included) to MIA, because of AA's lower MIA fare structure and FLL's recent bad press.

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 42):

I would love that, but, likely no.

Quoting Cory6188 (Reply 45):
I would predict 10-11 flights a day to each of B6's cities with 753s at ridiculously low prices, just enough to make B6 leave

B6 isn't leaving. CO needs to sit back and relax. It really isn't that big of a deal. Most of the money that CO makes on their EWR-FL flights are coming from international connections and premium business contracts they have with companies. That revenue isn't going to jetBlue.

Quoting Cory6188 (Reply 48):
B6 by a long shot - their general policy is not to overbook flights.

It isn't their general policy, it is their policy. jetBlue never overbooks flights.

[Edited 2005-07-12 19:39:51]
a.