incitatus

What's Next For Air India

Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:14 am

With Continental and now American announcing nonstop service into India, skipping a stop in Europe will make travel between India and the US much quicker. Jet Airways is also entering the market. Will Air India be able to survive in the market offering services with stops in London and Frankfurt?
Stop pop up ads

NYC777

RE: What's Next For Air India

Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:43 am

Not unless they order the new planes that they need to and improve their on board service. AI has a long way to go but unfortunately politicians in India don't share a sense of urgency to improve the airline.
That which does not kill me makes me stronger.

robsch

Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:26 am

I flew ORD-FRA-BOM last year - it did seem like only about 1/2 to 2/3 of the people on the plane did the whole route. AI was probably the cheapest ORD-FRA routes and there is a relatively large Indian population in FRA (and London too for that matter).

But NYC777's point is well taken. Unless they continue to be cheaper, they need to improve their product. IFE was pretty bad -- in business class on the return leg it was a projected screen in front of a 744. On the outgoing flight it was nice lie flat seats. I think they had just leased some new planes but obviously didn't stop to do much of a uniform retrofit.

My bet is that Jet (9W) will end up with a larger portion of the market than AI, and perhaps others too. It's the best short-haul airline I've ever flown, period. Awesome service and new, clean planes. If they can extend their domestic prowess to the international market, I think a lot of airlines will need to watch out for them.

mrniji

Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:37 pm

Quoting Incitatus (Thread starter):
Will Air India be able to survive in the market offering services with stops in London and Frankfurt?

I think that the one stops with 5th freedom are quite economic already (3 markets). But it would be a good addition to have a couple of nonstops besides them

Quoting Robsch (Reply 2):
and there is a relatively large Indian population in FRA

Hmmm... 20 yrs in FRA, and I do not know? depends what you see as large.. for me, about 3,000 is nothing
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

texdravid

Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:00 pm

Quoting Mrniji (Reply 3):
I think that the one stops with 5th freedom are quite economic already (3 markets). But it would be a good addition to have a couple of nonstops besides them

...AND not all of the nonstops to BOM or DEL!! Big grin
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

mrniji

Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:05 pm

Quoting Texdravid (Reply 4):
...AND not all of the nonstops to BOM or DEL!!

No, MAA will be AIs new A310 hub then Big grin
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

dforce1

Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:20 pm

With the introduction of their new Boeings they have ordered, I would expect to see Air India ramp up their service and route offerings to better compete with Jet Airways. I heard that they were looking at offering services to Canada.

mrniji

Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:36 pm

Quoting Dforce1 (Reply 6):
With the introduction of their new Boeings they have ordered, I would expect to see Air India ramp up their service and route offerings to better compete with Jet Airways. I heard that they were looking at offering services to Canada.

AI till date has not ordered any Boeing since the last delivery of a 744 in 1996. AI already served YYZ from DEL via ATQ and BHX

scotron11

Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:36 pm

They will have some "real" competition from S2. What with their tie-ins with BA & AA, and possible membership in OneWorld, where does that leave AI?

Gathering dust probably.

HAWK21M

Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:55 pm

Quoting Scotron11 (Reply 8):
They will have some "real" competition from S2

S2 seems to be Fighting back hard.Time will tell.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

a340roy

Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:58 pm

Quoting Scotron11 (Reply 8):
They will have some "real" competition from S2. What with their tie-ins with BA & AA, and possible membership in OneWorld, where does that leave AI?

Gathering dust probably

well, AI has more than 30 tie-ups with other foreign carriers, including BA and AA for some time now, which leaves others shrugging off dust their from shoulders! Joining a airline group like STAR alliance or Oneworld does not make any single airline better or anything like that. it just enables them wider business opportunities. An alliance with a particular airline nearly works up to the same thing.

According to me, S2 and 9W have a LONG way to go before they can be successful in the Intl market. Its not only AI that they got to compete with, they have a whole bunch of far superior products to face.

the cutting edge that AI has, is that depending on AI's slots in the foreiggn market, 9W and S2 get their slots. Its like Chelsea FC, depending on whao they buy in the tranfer market, can other FA Clubs make moves for the same players. 9W and S2, being private operators, need to pay a extra landing fee outside India which amounts to nearly $ 100000,- per touch down (sorry mates, no sourced link for this) which AI do not need to pay being a Govt. operator.

The Govt. hand on AI helps AI (silently) dictate terms, which of course, i find unfair. But on the other hand, AI has to undergo stupid decisions made in the ministry, which S2 and 9W dont have to depend on. they can lease and buy a acft anytime and from anywhere, where as for AI, it takes ages and levels of permissions to buy a staple pin (sure am exaggerating...but u know what i mean)

I look at it this way, the entry of 9W and S2 in the Intl market is only a good thing, for everyone. AI can finally use this as an excuse to beef up its fleet, raise resources for a new look, and the much needed mental approach towards passenger service, and above all, passenger satisfaction, can be concentrated on, as otherwise, AI can simply count their operating days coming to a dead end. and for 9W and S2, they have been tough fighters in the domestic indian market, and their continued fight to be the best only helps passengers get better quallity, service and most important, good rates.

Like you see it, i am more optimistic for AI and Thank God 9W and S2 couldd get out of India!

cheerz,
roy
AR-FRA

mrniji

Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:16 pm

Quoting A340roy (Reply 10):
it just enables them wider business opportunities. An alliance with a particular airline nearly works up to the same thing.

I fully agree - I tried to explain this point to others, but they did not agree.. tailor-made individual partnerships can be better than taking an entire package (more flexible etc)

And even I think that 9W underestimates AIs performance.. maybe in the long-term, tehy will be partners to kick S2 et al

incitatus

Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:29 am

. 9W and S2, being private operators, need to pay a extra landing fee outside India which amounts to nearly $ 100000,- per touch down (sorry mates, no sourced link for this)

Without a source that's a claim difficult to stand. $100,000 is slightly less than what it costs to fly an entire plane load from the US to India.
Stop pop up ads

jasepl

Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:40 am

Air India need to get their act together, or die. Plain and simple.

Yes, we've all heard before the sob stories of how government interference is handicapping the 'airline' - but enough already. Government ownership is equally a blessing and a curse. The simultaneous wronged widow / bitch in the manger act got old a long time ago.

Here's a few things AI must do. Note that this applies to long-haul flights only (to Europe and beyond) because regional operations are a gone case.

And these are all based on my own experiences with Air India. Not on some fantasy.

1. Ground services
In my experience, AI rank lowest in the world in terms on ground service. Check-in, airport conditions, staff professionalism, baggage services, etc, etc.
Shabby, shabby, shabby - on all counts - except the LHR lounge.

2. Standardised schedules
You never know when your flight to London's going to depart, or where, if at all, it's going to stop on the way. The BOM-LHR-ORD flight has a different number and schedule every time. What is going on?

3. Cabin crew
Where do I start with this one? The tottering old dears on AI do a good job, no doubt. But service isn't exactly as stellar as it is made out to be. I've flown DL and AF between Bombay and Paris this year, and service is far better on both.
I've only ever had 2 FAs in the upstairs cabin, which is pathetic. DL have 36 seats in BusinessElite and at least 4 FAs. AF have 36 seats in L'Espace Affaires and 4 FAs. AI have 34 seats in Executive and I've never seen more than 2 FAs.
Besides, I feel like the the grannies and grandpas serving me on AI should be seated and I should be serving them.

4. Inflight product standardisation
Yes, we all know AI's planes are leased, but that's no excuse for the varying aircraft configurations. Some planes have signage in English and Hindi, some in Korean. Some have PTVs, some don't. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. The DVD players may be handed out, or they may not be. They might work, or they might not.

5. PTVs
It's no longer acceptable to not have functioning PTVs, with the same programming, across your fleet. Leased or not.

6. Aircraft conditions
Tatty (not filthy, just tatty) planes. Worn upholstery. Varying carpets - ranging from UA grey to nothing at all.

7. Catering
Yes, AI have some really good food, with plenty of options. But, yet again, it's not all it's made out to be. I found both AF and even DL to be much better.
Delta usually have 4 or 5 selections. The ones I ate were very good.
Air France usually have less selections, maybe 2 or 3, but they're outstanding.
AI lose out on overall quality of meal service and presentation as well.
"The salad and the dessert wrapped in cling wrap is just plain" wrong.

Besides, "what do you mean you 'ran out of rum'?"

Also, change the ghastly faux-silver samovar-like thing you serve tea out of. Everyone knows it's cheap aluminium and it looks incredibly tacky. Even in an AI cabin.

And, for the last time, a small packet of chips is NOT an effing appetiser.

[Edited 2005-07-13 23:54:59]

B747-437B

Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:41 am

9W and S2, being private operators, need to pay a extra landing fee outside India which amounts to nearly $ 100000,- per touch down

Sorry, but this is misinformation.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

jaysit

Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:49 am

Quoting Jasepl (Reply 13):
Also, change the ghastly faux-silver samovar-like thing you serve tea out of. Everyone knows it's cheap aluminium and it looks incredibly tacky. Even in an AI cabin.

And, for the last time, a small packet of chips is NOT an effing appetiser.

Actually the faux silver samovar thing is the only thing I like. In a dimmed cabin, its the best part of their service.

But, yes, a packet of chips in J class is not an appetizer.

And I agree with all your other statements. Also, coffee is not a diluted cup of Nescafe. Coffee is brewed coffee. If Delta can do it, AI can.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

B747-437B

Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:54 am

AI have 34 seats in Executive and I've never seen more than 2 FAs.

Air India have 26 seats in Business Class upstairs and 3 FAs assigned (you will only see 2 because the third is on galley duty).
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

jasepl

Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:56 am

Sorry, my mistake. 26 seats. That's not what AI claim, by the way.

And I've looked in the galley. Even gone up and chatted with them. They even took me into the cockpit and brought me ice-cream from downstairs.

The most I've ever seen are 2.

[Edited 2005-07-13 23:57:30]

jasepl

Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:01 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 15):
Actually the faux silver samovar thing is the only thing I like. In a dimmed cabin, its the best part of their service.

In a dimmed cabin, probably.

But during a daylight flight, the sunlight hit her knock-off Cartier, bounced off the samovar and blinded me.  Smile

shawnnyc

Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:01 am

Also, change the ghastly faux-silver samovar-like thing you serve tea out of. Everyone knows it's cheap aluminium and it looks incredibly tacky.

I agree with a lot of what you said. I do however like the tea set. A lot of airlines serve Nescafe as coffee, I don't get it either. But at least AI has real tea (I drink both coffee and indian tea). Tea on other airlines except BA is not really drinkable.

I think AI has better food than DL and AF. Other airlines have some good meals, but I have never had a bad meal on AI although the presentaiton in business is weak. That said I could never afford to pay $6000 to fly business on AF (I fly them business class only when my company pays). AI's business class gives me mostly what I want for 50% off.

What I don't get about AI service is why don't they have drink trolleys like every one else. I mean a try of coke, fanta orange and 7 up just doesn't cut it on such long flights. Wheel out the trolley its good exercise.

jasepl

Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:05 am

Quoting Shawnnyc (Reply 19):
What I don't get about AI service is why don't they have drink trolleys like every one else. I mean a try of coke, fanta orange and 7 up just doesn't cut it on such long flights. Wheel out the trolley its good exercise.

I quite like the trolley-less service concept. Except for dessert - then bring on the trolley!

Of course, with AI, disasters happen. Like the time the male FA's paunch sent a couple of things flying!

scotron11

Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:09 am

An alliance with a particular airline nearly works up to the same thing.

I appreciate the reply. I would think that AA/BA coming to an agreement with S2 shows confidence in said management and operation. I trust they would do their "due dilligence" into a carrier they are entering into a business arrangement with.

I know of no tie-in with Air India and British Airways. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

regards

shawnnyc

Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:14 am

Quoting Jasepl (Reply 20):
I quite like the trolley-less service concept

Sorry, I like it in J class but not in coach.

jasepl

Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:20 am

Jay, your samovar:

jaysit

Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:28 am

Well, that Samovar thing looks like an Indian antique. It's the only thing on board that should look like an antique. Not the rest of the plane !

jasepl

Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:38 am

Quoting Shawnnyc (Reply 22):
Sorry, I like it in J class but not in coach.

Oh yeah, that's true. It would be impossible in economy!

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 24):
It's the only thing on board that should look like an antique. Not the rest of the plane !

Alas!

mrniji

Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:45 pm

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 24):
Well, that Samovar thing looks like an Indian antique. It's the only thing on board that should look like an antique. Not the rest of the plane !

LOL! I agree!   

I think Jason has given a good summary! as someone who now flies AI more frequently (price) I will comment a little for another insight.. my TR will come sometime in August

1. Ground services
In my experience, AI rank lowest in the world in terms on ground service. Check-in, airport conditions, staff professionalism, baggage services, etc, etc.

I partly agree. Groundservice can be a big mess. The only good thing is that the luggage allowance is lineant, which can make the flight MUCH cheaper. If departure time is smooth, everything is OK. If there is some crisis, the ground staff creates an even bigger mess, as there is no coordination etc

3. Cabin crew
Where do I start with this one? The tottering old dears on AI do a good job, no doubt. But service isn't exactly as stellar as it is made out to be. I've flown DL and AF between Bombay and Paris this year, and service is far better on both.

I disagree to every extent. If there is something really fantastic about AI, its (most of) their cabin crew in my eyes. They treat kids and old people politely and can make a Y class experience enjoyful! I prefer affectionate chaos to efficient heartless service. AF cabin crew is in my eyes OK, but a little excited if they have to speak English (so I speak French with them). Nothing bad against AF, they belong in my eyes to one of the better Airlines in Continental Europe (which is not difficult, seeing the tatty airline of the Eastern neighbor)

4. Inflight product standardisation
Yes, we all know AI's planes are leased, but that's no excuse for the varying aircraft configurations. Some planes have signage in English and Hindi, some in Korean. Some have PTVs, some don't. Sometimes they work,

I fully agree! See my future trip report, I will emphasize! And you are right... sometimes IFE works, sometime you have to use violence to make it work (hammer the earphones in the armrest with a bottle), sometimes it surrenders

5. PTVs
It's no longer acceptable to not have functioning PTVs, with the same programming, across your fleet. Leased or not.

I disagree! I know many people who prefer a cheaper price to PTVs. Why don't people just read a book or something, rather than demanding to be 24 hrs live and online?

6. Aircraft conditions
Tatty (not filthy, just tatty) planes. Worn upholstery. Varying carpets - ranging from UA grey to nothing at all.

Couldn't agree more (though some seem to have been refurbished, and they looked quite OK - I was amazed!)

7. Catering
Yes, AI have some really good food, with plenty of options. But, yet again, it's not all it's made out to be. I found both AF and even DL to be much better.

DL and AF better food?     - maybe a matter of taste (age and location of yours imply that in the reply you will tell me how great it is that McDonalds Food is available in India and that is better than local dhaba and any Indian food, I am sure)! The food on AF I had to US, SIN, Africa, was among the worst I have eaten (with the pseudo-Hindu meal and a slip along indicating that no pork is included). I think AIs catering belongs to the best in the world. And you get plenty of food in Y even

Quoting Shawnnyc (Reply 19):
A lot of airlines serve Nescafe as coffee, I don't get it either.

Because Nestle is an international MNC Mafia, who tries to catch every single edge of the world market (from water to whatsoever). It is a shame, I agree, that this crappy Nescafe is being offered (and it is stupid that some people even ask for it). I can only say (here comes my old revolutioner): Fight Nestle 

[Edited 2005-07-14 06:49:10]

jasepl

Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:05 pm

Quoting Mrniji (Reply 26):
McDonalds Food

McDo?  vomit 
Except that Chinese Burger I had over a year ago - that wasn't too bad.

a340roy

Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:31 pm

Quoting B747-437B (Reply 14):
Sorry, but this is misinformation

I know, i had to fight with myself to mention this, and yes, everyone has the right to claim that it is correct or wrong. But you know it is difficult to give links, or names on this board especially when it comes to money matters of an airline. I am sorry for taking this out, and i compeletely agree that one should refrain to post up something where the source is difficult to prove. will keep in mind next time.
AR-FRA

dforce1

Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:30 am

Quote:
AI till date has not ordered any Boeing since the last delivery of a 744 in 1996. AI already served YYZ from DEL via ATQ and BHX

A formal order may have not been placed yet but as you will read from the press release below, they are planning on it. And I was thinking they might be looking at services into YVR as opposed to YYZ.

http://www.airindia.com/article.asp?articleid=281

AIR-INDIA BOARD APPROVES AIRCRAFT ACQUISITION PLAN

The Board of Air-India at its meeting held in Mumbai today approved the aircraft acquisition plan after detailed examination of the recommendations of the in-house Techno-economic Committee appointed for examining the bids. The aircraft acquisition plan approved by the Board, subject to the approval of the Government, envisages procurement of :

~ 8 Boeing 777-200LR Medium Capacity Ultra Long Range aircraft in three-class configuration;

~ 15 Boeing 777-300ER Medium Capacity Long Range-350 seater, in three-class configuration, and

~27 Boeing 787 Medium Capacity Long Range-250 seater, in two class configuration, at a total cost estimated to be about Rs.30,000 crores, prior to negotiations with the manufacturers of air frame and engines.

Referring to reports appearing in a section of the press regarding alleged changes made after the issue of the request for proposal (RFP), Air-India would like to state that no changes whatsoever were made after issue of the request for proposal.

The Board took note of the fact that there are spillovers in the delivery schedules proposed by both the manufacturers with respect to one or more aircraft. In any case, the final delivery schedule can be decided only after the necessary Government approvals have been obtained and orders are placed.

The777Man

Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:14 pm

Thanks for the link to the press release ! Very good news! Looks like AI is slightly closer to placing the order for the Boeings....

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

mrniji

Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:59 pm

Quoting The777Man (Reply 30):
Thanks for the link to the press release ! Very good news! Looks like AI is slightly closer to placing the order for the Boeings....

FY both I: "subject to government approval" means everything from 1 month to one decade

Very old news btw, there were 20 + threads, about 200 + posts, in the archive ..

HAWK21M

Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:39 am

Any Idea when the Decision will be "Inked".
regds
MEL

N60659

Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:49 am

Quoting DFORCE1 (Reply 29):
The Board of Air-India at its meeting held in Mumbai today

This may turn out to be a really dumb question (and my apologies if it is). The link that has the news bite references "today", but does not have a date associated with it. What date exactly does "today" refer to?

-N60659
Nec Dextrorsum Nec Sinistrorsum

jaysit

Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:06 am

I disagree! I know many people who prefer a cheaper price to PTVs. Why don't people just read a book or something, rather than demanding to be 24 hrs live and online?

Well, how about a cheap price and PTVs?
The Asian carriers and Emirates manages to do that. Gosh, even Kuwait Airways does.

As for reading a book, children on airplanes don't. They usually scream and make a nuisance of themselves. With PTVs they tend to shut up and spare us the torture.

And we are in the year 2005. PTVs on airliners have been around now for over 15 years.

jasepl

Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:30 am

Perhaps. But PTVs have nothing to do with the price of the ticket. And, at least in J and F, they're basically de rigueur now.
I personally don't care for them too much. I just want a drink or 5 and I'm happy.

maybe a matter of taste (age and location of yours imply that in the reply you will tell me how great it is that McDonalds Food is available in India and that is better than local dhaba and any Indian food, I am sure)!

Yeah sure

(with the pseudo-Hindu meal and a slip along indicating that no pork is included).

A Hindu meal, by definition, contains no beef. That's it. Isn't that the only food forbidden to Hindus? You should know - you say you are one.

blrsea

Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:46 am

Jason, good summary. Could't have said it better myself. On long flights, PTVs and VODs are a necessity. Who wants to see some sh**y hindi movie listening on those yellow hollow tubes?

I have had good food on AI flights I have been on, and that was the only saving grace on the otherwise horrible flight. The FA aunties were rude to the kids even!! But this was 5 years back. Maybe now the food is bad and the FAs better mannered.  Wink

jasepl

Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:50 am

Quoting Blrsea (Reply 36):
I have had good food on AI flights I have been on... Maybe now the food is bad and the FAs better mannered.

Oh, I think I've been misunderstood. AI's food is excellent! But it's not the end-all of inflight catering. I've found better choices and just as good - if not better - tasting food on AF & DL this year.

mrniji

Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:21 am

Quoting Jasepl (Reply 35):
A Hindu meal, by definition, contains no beef. That's it. Isn't that the only food forbidden to Hindus? You should know - you say you are one.

I know, but AF did not  Wink

karan69

Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:51 am

Quoting N60659 (Reply 33):
This may turn out to be a really dumb question (and my apologies if it is). The link that has the news bite references "today", but does not have a date associated with it. What date exactly does "today" refer to?

I remember reading it a week after the original order was announced

sammyk

Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:09 am

Quoting N60659 (Reply 33):

The date (April 26th) is shown in the list of press releases:

http://www.airindia.com/articlelist.asp

N60659

Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:09 am

Quoting Karan69 (Reply 39):

That was what I was thinking as well. Thanks for the confirmation. There is some speculation (on another topic in this forum) that the 5 unidentified 777s on Boeing's order site might be for AI. I, however, seriously doubt that.

-N60659

[EDIT: After posting this I see Sammyk's response in reply 40. Thanks for the clarification. Never occurred to me to go to the list of press releases]

[Edited 2005-07-18 21:18:39]
Nec Dextrorsum Nec Sinistrorsum

jasepl

Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:57 am

Quoting Karan69 (Reply 39):

But there was no order Karan!

The Air India board decided they wanted to place an order. That's it.

That, evidently, was was just step 3,009 of a 6,788-step process.  Wink

(due apologies to Heavierthanair)  Smile

HAWK21M

Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:03 pm

Quoting Jasepl (Reply 42):
The Air India board decided they wanted to place an order.

Thats the problem AI & IC only decide. 9W,S2,AD & the rest Place orders  Smile
regds
MEL