Jetblue15
Topic Author

Exciting And Dangerous Day At Work

Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:10 am

While doing a flight at around 10am this morning very strong thunderstroms over-ran JFK today puting us into a ground delay program which then put our operation into a hault. Cloud to ground lighting covered the air field. More strikes then I can count which then brought all ground agents inside until the storm passed. The airport looked like a giant airplane parking-lot with 10's of airplanes either idle on the taxi-ways or holding on the ramp and gets like most of our aircraft. Very interesting couple of hours. As far as I know 6 flights for us have been cancelled. Mostly west coast and upstate flights. Just another day at the office here at JFK.

Jetblue15
racecar spelled backwards spells racecar

Newark777

RE: Exciting And Dangerous Day At Work

Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:15 am

That storm passed over my house as well, and it sure was intense for a bit. Not as much lightning for me, but torrential rain. Where was the lightning striking? Were any of the planes hit?

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

Jetblue15
Topic Author

Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:21 am

No planes were hit. At least non of ours and there were pleanty of them stuck out there. The strikes were well away from the terminal area. They were by 22R and 22L. Thats the only part of the airfield I can see from where I was during the storm. I"ve been at JFK now for 3 years and have never seen a storm like that. The thunder sounded like a bomb going off.
racecar spelled backwards spells racecar

yhz78

Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:16 am

Yeah! We had an outbound and an inbound cancelled today and I had all passengers on the jetway in the process of boarding when the call for a groundstop came at about 2130Z. Made my day a barrell of laughs. YHZ has been getting slammed enough lately, we don't need JFK adding to our problems. Oh well, just another day at the office.  Wink
Canada Rocks! From the west coast to the best coast!

isitsafenow

Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:25 am

JETBLUE15.....Musta been that same storm Tom Cruise saw in WAR OF THE WORLDS just before the bad guys showed up......not
safe  tongue 
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

Newark777

Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:29 am

JETBLUE15.....Musta been that same storm Tom Cruise saw in WAR OF THE WORLDS just before the bad guys showed up......not

Better watch out for alien tripods rising out of 22R tomorrow.  Wink

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos