c172

2nd Largest Airport In The World

Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:55 pm

I understand the Riyadh Intl is the biggest... guinness says that. Maybe something else has been built.

I want to know the SECOND AND THIRD LARGEST... 2nd and 3rd most massive. In terms of square miles.

JFK seems utterly enormous and must be high on the list.

What airport gets the silver medal? Who gets bronze?

NWrr

RE: 2nd Largest Airport In The World

Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:04 pm

Are we talking terminal size or entire airport property? DFW's property covers 29.78 square miles and is said to be the third-largest airport in the world and second largest in the US in terms of land mass.

Source: http://www.dfwairport.com/visitor/facts.htm
Welcome to the back of the boat...the non-rev section

HPRamper

Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:40 pm

this information is really hard to find. I know PIT is the third largest in the country after DFW in land area

keno

Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:47 pm

Quoting NWrr (Reply 1):
Are we talking terminal size or entire airport property?

Riyadh is #1 in terms of land size, so I believe he's looking for #2 for the same category as well.

LOT767-300ER

Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:57 pm

Denver. Just look at a map.

NWrr

Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:03 pm

Quoting LOT767-300ER:
Denver. Just look at a map.

Actually, you are 100% correct.

DIA (or just plain old DEN) is 53 square miles, almost twice the size of DFW.

http://www.flydenver.com/guide/index.asp

And since you brought it up, JFK is only 7.7 square miles in area. EWR is 3.17 square miles and LGA is a mere 1.0625 square miles (for those who wondered).

[Edited 2005-07-14 13:11:29]
Welcome to the back of the boat...the non-rev section

AlitaliaMD11

Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:30 pm

An intresting fact about Terminal 4 at JFK is that it is bigger then LGAs entire terminal space.
No Vueling No Party

1MillionFlyer

Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:41 pm

I am working in Denver a lot right now, the airport is here is extremely massive.

The terminal itself is very very nice, one of the best in the US.
Golf Foxtrot you are cleared for departure

ssides

Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:44 pm

In terms of land area, DFW was the largest airport in the US and second-largest in the world until the boondoggle/white elephant DEN was built.

Is DEN bigger than Riyadh? I don't know.

Both DEN and DFW could swallow up ATL, ORD, and JFK combined.

The real question of size should be determined by terminal square footage. Who would win that one?
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

Delta767300ER

Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:19 pm

MCO is pretty big in land area also. Anyone have the specs?

-Delta767300ER

picarus

Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:01 am

Quoting Ssides (Reply 8):
In terms of land area, DFW was the largest airport in the US and second-largest in the world until the boondoggle/white elephant DEN was built.

Ssides,

Please share your opinion on why DEN is a "boondoggle/white elephant." As the 10th busiest airport in the world, "white elephant" hardly seems an appropriate description. Expensive to build? Yes. Overbudget? Yes. But aren't the majority of public works projects?

I suggest you review operations at the old Stapleton airport versus DIA before you make such a ridiculous statement.

And yes, it is the largest airport (land area) in the U.S. and second largest in the world.

Picarus

trekster

Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:24 am

According to the latest AILINER NEWS, Manchester will (in 2012) handle more passengers than LGW, now that is shocking news
Where does the time go???

stirling

Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:19 am

Quoting Picarus (Reply 10):
Please share your opinion on why DEN is a "boondoggle/white elephant." As the 10th busiest airport in the world, "white elephant" hardly seems an appropriate description. Expensive to build? Yes. Overbudget? Yes. But aren't the majority of public works projects?
I suggest you review operations at the old Stapleton airport versus DIA before you make such a ridiculous statement.

I haven't lived in Colorado for a long time, but much of my family still does; I return quite often....my opinions are purely observations; the DEN/Stapleton controversy is something I am obviously quite curious about.

There is noticeable perceptual shift depending on where one might be standing in Northern Colorado (or the Front Range, since DIA serves a vast region).
Those living in the most central parts of Denver Metro; Denver County; are the ones who "miss" Stapleton the most. As well as those in other parts of the nation who were once able to land in the middle of the city and take a cab into town for under $30. There remains a sizeable amount of travelers who miss the cozy little airport smack dab in the middle of one of America's most beautiful cities.

But, whether one is in Milan, Washington DC, or Denver, there will always be some amount of long-term animosity to moving the main facility out to the boondocks; no matter how nice such facility may be. Statistics and conclusive data mean nothing when trying to replace a much loved airport, warts and all. New doesn't always mean better.

On the other hand, the farther one gets from the center of Denver; places like Longmont, Ft Collins, Parker, Greeley, etc, is where you will find those who don't really care, but if pressed, they will prefer the new airport over the old cramped confines of Stapleton. To them the distance is not the factor; they had to make a trip anyway, if anything, the new DEN might actually be easier, or closer for them.

But you will find within this same group, a segment that doesn't really care; those who see airports as just another public place, in the way they might view a courthouse, a grocery store, or bus station; BUT, they cannot seem to be able to see past the pricetag. Call it sticker shock if you will.
"Sure it's beautiful, but was it necessary?" is a sentiment I hear often.

Colorado, and I do know this for fact, is a fiscally conservative place....DEN goes across the grain of this philosophy, no matter how much technical merit is used in proving it's worth.
Delete this User

pmg1704

Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:56 am

Quoting Trekster (Reply 11):
According to the latest AILINER NEWS, Manchester will (in 2012) handle more passengers than LGW, now that is shocking news

Was that number determined before or after London won the 2012 Olympics?

scott0305

Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:29 am

Airliners news said that MAN would handle 40m pax by 2015 (9m more than LGW "currently" handles. Don't know how much room there is for expansion at LGW (not much with the single runway I suspect) but I think that with the olympics LGW will still probably beat MAN in 2012.

Jetter2

Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:17 am

DFW is friggin huge! I love it here. 7 Runways, and 4(soon to be 5) terminals. This is one of my all time favorite airports. It is big, and the way it is setup allows you to see EVERYTHING from you're seat in the terminal.

God bless Dallas  Smile

iowa744fan

Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:25 am

I agree with Picarus and am curious about your dislike of Denver Int'l. Personally, it is my favorite airport in the US to transfer in because of the fact that unless you are going to/from TED, it is so easy with the one concourse. I for one hate DFW and never like to go through there due to the half-circle layout that just creates headaches for me instead of being an effective hub design. Notice that no one is really building that style of terminal anymore as it is a more O&D design instead of an effective hub design (noted that DFW was finished before de-reg., hence this is a reason for this.). Anyway, I think that Denver Int'l is one of the best hub airports in the country.

N1120A

Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:32 am

the boondoggle/white elephant DEN was built.

It wasn't really a boondoggle or white elephant. It is in the top 10 busiest in the world and top 5 in the US, even though it is not in the top 10 in population in either case. Sure, the airport is hugely overbuilt, but that helps in two ways. The delays that plagued Stapleton are basically non-existant and the airport is not hamstrung for growth like ORD, LAX, SFO and LHR are.

Is DEN bigger than Riyadh? I don't know.

No, it is not. RUH is still the largest airport in the world

Quoting Pmg1704 (Reply 13):
Quoting Trekster (Reply 11):

Was that number determined before or after London won the 2012 Olympics?

It doesn't matter. LGW is basically at or above capacity as it is. STN will see all the growth in London until LHR (not so likely) or LGW (even less likely) gets another runway
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

highflyer9790

Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:44 am

Maybe DEN perhaps???

Spike

Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:47 am

Hong Kong? KIX? Beijing - massive now, they just kick people off the land. KLIA?

nosedive

Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:48 am

Quoting Stirling (Reply 12):
"Sure it's beautiful, but was it necessary?" is a sentiment I hear often.

Considering the nearly nonexistance of airport closures around 5,280 (the Mile High City) that has occured since 1995, and the lack of bottle necks on the ground, save for extreme wind conditions... yes.

I'm interested to see the fiscal impacts of DIA v Stapleton, but that's another thread.

Back on topic, I'm sure that ASE is #1 in terminal space

stirling

Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:43 am

Quoting Nosedive (Reply 20):
Considering the nearly nonexistance of airport closures around 5,280 (the Mile High City) that has occured since 1995, and the lack of bottle necks on the ground, save for extreme wind conditions... yes.

That is absolutely true. The last time I flew into Denver was last August on Frontier. I was simply blown away by the lack of ground time. Push-back. Taxi. Take-off.
Whereas at Stapleton it was: Push-back. Wait. Wait. Taxi. Taxi. Taxi. Wait. Wait...........Take-off.

The new DEN as well makes utilizing the frequency of the hub for quick business jaunts less efficient. The old DEN was right in the middle of everything....a rental car was optional. Now, it's mandatory.
Cabbies hate the new DEN. Rental Car companies love the new DEN.

If you live in Denver County, and travel on business, the new DEN could be a pain in the butt, depending on how you use it. This much I gained after my last biztrip. Standing around waiting to be taken to the airport by limo (Man that company was awesome!) I was talking to some of the guys hanging around to see me off when the subject of Denver's airports came up.
Now these were all sophisticated, smart, professional business people, nearly unanimous in their disdain for the new airport. They all lived in places like LoDo, Washington Park, Castle Rock, Parker, etc...to them, Stapleton was just flat-out more easier to access. They could have clients (like me) buzz in, hold a quick meeting at an adjacent hotel, then hit the town, or fly home, whatever, it was just very easy and business friendly. This is something the new DEN will have to grow into.

When I brought up some of the main selling points you and others have mentioned here, they just mumbled and shook their heads.
It didn't matter to them. Or if it did, it is something they've never really though about believe it or not. These were not aviation enthusiasts, but business people.

People who live outside of Colorado who use the airport for connecting, feel as if the new DEN is a gift directly from Heaven. Its what I am hearing here. BUT, Locally, the issue is still somewhat polarized, and not as easily defined.

Ssides is only expressing a valid concern of people who use the airport on a most regular basis, or who live in the heart of Denver.
Yes, I can see how his statements can be seen as outrageous, but that doesn't make his views any less valid. To understand what he said requires looking at the issue from both sides.

Things like this take years to change. Take Dulles for example. For decades, Dulles was avoided like the plague. You flew there because it was the only choice, not because it was actually what you wanted to do.
Even when National was nowhere as nice as it is today, it was still the preferred airport over Dulles hands down. Even today there is this aversion.
This same mindset can be seen in Dallas, New York, Chicago, London, Tokyo, Buenos Aires and Sao Paulo to name a few.

I think you should all give Sides a break, he's not talking out of his ass like some of you think, it's a very complex issue that is not as easy to get a handle on as some of you all would like it to be.
Delete this User

texdravid

Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:01 am

Quoting Jetter2 (Reply 15):
DFW is friggin huge! I love it here. 7 Runways, and 4(soon to be 5) terminals. This is one of my all time favorite airports. It is big, and the way it is setup allows you to see EVERYTHING from you're seat in the terminal.

God bless Dallas

I wish God would bless us here with some new international carriers to fill up this new Terminal D!!
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

c680

Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:17 am

Quoting Nosedive (Reply 20):
Back on topic, I'm sure that ASE is #1 in terminal space

LOL! Now *thats* funny!

On the other hand, if you said "Solar heated terminal space" you may be right!
My happy place is FL470 - what's yours?

hjulicher

Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:23 am

DTW is 10.48 square miles. That's sort of big. PIT is 15.625 sq. miles. That's big. Denver is huge because of all the free land around it. It's hardly farmable, and with the set-up of the runways, those long extensions account for all the land mass. It takes about 15 minutes at highway speeds to get from the terminal outside of the zone area.

[Edited 2005-07-14 22:29:19]
LH 442

AADC10

Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:46 am

I wonder what the largest actual usable airfield is? Riyadh is mostly open desert and much of DIA's land is "buffer" zone for noise mitigation. In the case of DFW, on the other hand, most of the land is actually occupied by the runways, taxiways, ramp, terminals, parking, hangers, cargo facilities, tank farm and other infrastrucutre. DIA has a lot of concrete too but the runways are spaced far apart of efficientcy.

I suppose the largest airfield may be a military base.

Conversely, the would busiest airport, ATL, is on a comparatively small piece of land. What is the busiest airport relative to it's land area? LGA? LHR? NRT? Maybe it is some medium or small airport on a really tiny plot of land that takes the cake.

BryanG

Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:14 am

In the USA, the most compact airport would probably be either LGA or MDW. Better check the numbers on passenger movements divided by land area.

MDW's on about a 1x1 mile square chunk of land, with thick city streets, houses, and industrial buildings surrounding it on all four sides. The 6500ft runways are crammed in diagonally.

No room at MDW to expand in any direction. In some places all that separates the ramp from the city streets is a tall blast wall.

aa777jr

Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:24 am

I wish God would bless us here with some new international carriers to fill up this new Terminal D!!

Amen brother!
A liberal is a man who is right most of the time, but he's right too soon.

trekster

Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:29 am

People wont just be flying into LHR and LGW though

MAN is accessed from lots of places in the globe. Also at least one thing is gonna be held up here, and what with the domestic routes gonna be SWAMPED, I bet we will still beat LGW
Where does the time go???

nosedive

Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:28 am

Quoting Stirling (Reply 21):
They could have clients (like me) buzz in, hold a quick meeting at an adjacent hotel, then hit the town, or fly home, whatever, it was just very easy and business friendly.

What, APA and Netjets not your style??  box  stirthepot 

Quoting AADC10 (Reply 25):
...much of DIA's land is "buffer" zone for noise mitigation.

at the moment yes, but the airport was designed with growth in mind. Max buildout at DEN is 12 runways, IIRC.

The debate about DEN climaxes at the convience of having an airport off 1-70 and Quebec and the convience of actually making your connection in ATL  stirthepot 

Continental

Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:12 am

Quoting Delta767300ER (Reply 9):
MCO is pretty big in land area also. Anyone have the specs?

Actually, as big as MCO appears to be, it's 23 sq. miles. That's still huge! It is the 3rd largest in the country after Denver and Dallas.

1. Denver (DEN)
2. Dallas (DFW)
3. Orlando (MCO)

Contrary to posts above, PIT is not the 3rd largest, it is MCO.

apollo13

Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:15 am

Does anybody have any pictures of Riyadh intl from the air or the ground? I would really like to see its size.

N1120A

Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:15 am

Quoting AADC10 (Reply 25):
What is the busiest airport relative to it's land area? LGA? LHR? NRT? Maybe it is some medium or small airport on a really tiny plot of land that takes the cake.

Actually, if you want to go by aircraft movements, it is almost certainly VNY.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

sparkingwave

Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:34 pm

Instead of the 2nd largest airport in the world, maybe a better direction this thread could go in is which airports are the 1st and 2nd least stressful, most convenient and most comfortable to make connections, to relax in, and to travel to.

I don't mean to sound cynical, but who cares how big an airport is? The bigger they are, the farther they're usually found from the city.

- Sparkingwave
Flights to the moon and all major space stations. At Pan Am, the sky is no longer the limit!

stirling

Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:00 am

Quoting Nosedive (Reply 29):
The debate about DEN climaxes at the convience of having an airport off 1-70 and Quebec and the convience of actually making your connection in ATL

or "TO" ATL.

But you are correct. What's more important, convienence, or efficiency?

The year after I left Denver, (1984) I was flying the old Frontier GFK to PDX, with a connection at Stapleton.
It's early April.
Freak Spring Snow-Storm.
22 inches of snow in a 13 hour period.
One runway open.....sometimes. Sometimes not.
My 10am flight for PDX, left somewhere around 2am the next day.
I arrived in the Rose City smelling like the carpet at Stapleton.

Even still, there was something about the place, it had character. Like a smelly old, flatuent, cussing uncle; that you wouldn't trade the world for.

As far as I know, but someone surely has better data, The new Denver has yet to see delays like this; has it?

Quoting Nosedive (Reply 29):
What, APA and Netjets not your style??

Oh they are definitely my style, but I need to present somewhat of an air of fiduciary responsibility. Besides, there's something about traveling with the "huddled masses" that I still find appealing. I am not yet ready to abandon the rest of society....not yet.
Delete this User

airfrnt

Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:12 am

White Elephant? Boondogle? Even if DIA did go considerably above budget, take a look at what ATL, ORD and LAX are going thru trying to upgrade their airports. Here is a hint, their upgrades are costing more then the new airport cost Coloradians. Not a bad deal at all.

I haven't lived in Colorado for a long time, but much of my family still does; I return quite often....my opinions are purely observations; the DEN/Stapleton controversy is something I am obviously quite curious about.

There really is not any controversy left here. There is the occasional complaint about how far it is from the city core, but then you need to start looking at Denver and colorado in general and realize that the two largest counties in Colorado (Aurora and the area around Colorado Springs) both see significant time savings to the airport. As does Boulder, and the tech Center due to E470.

Those living in the most central parts of Denver Metro; Denver County; are the ones who "miss" Stapleton the most. As well as those in other parts of the nation who were once able to land in the middle of the city and take a cab into town for under $30. There remains a sizeable amount of travelers who miss the cozy little airport smack dab in the middle of one of America's most beautiful cities.

When Stapleton was built everyone mocked it for being to far from Denver. Nevermind that even if you got thru the traffic on I-70 to get to the airport (a bridge built for the airport was the number one delay/accident site for the last 10 years before the Stapleton closed) you would sit in traffic on the taxiways forever, or be diverted to Colorado Springs due to weather restrictions. The delays at DEN made modern day ORD look efficent.

On the other hand, the farther one gets from the center of Denver; places like Longmont, Ft Collins, Parker, Greeley, etc, is where you will find those who don't really care, but if pressed, they will prefer the new airport over the old cramped confines of Stapleton. To them the distance is not the factor; they had to make a trip anyway, if anything, the new DEN might actually be easier, or closer for them.

It is easier and closer.

Colorado, and I do know this for fact, is a fiscally conservative place....DEN goes across the grain of this philosophy, no matter how much technical merit is used in proving it's worth.

Colorado usually has one or two large projects going on transportion wise. From 90-95 it was DEN, from 00 to present it has been T-REX, pretty soon it's going to be the huge new light rail build out.

We are committed to avoiding LA's fate and traffic. Be that LAX or the highways.

The new DEN as well makes utilizing the frequency of the hub for quick business jaunts less efficient. The old DEN was right in the middle of everything....a rental car was optional. Now, it's mandatory.
Cabbies hate the new DEN. Rental Car companies love the new DEN.

If you live in Denver County, and travel on business, the new DEN could be a pain in the butt, depending on how you use it. This much I gained after my last biztrip. Standing around waiting to be taken to the airport by limo (Man that company was awesome!) I was talking to some of the guys hanging around to see me off when the subject of Denver's airports came up.
Now these were all sophisticated, smart, professional business people, nearly unanimous in their disdain for the new airport. They all lived in places like LoDo, Washington Park, Castle Rock, Parker, etc...to them, Stapleton was just flat-out more easier to access. They could have clients (like me) buzz in, hold a quick meeting at an adjacent hotel, then hit the town, or fly home, whatever, it was just very easy and business friendly. This is something the new DEN will have to grow into.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos