SNBru
Topic Author

Sir Richard Branson Wants Virgin Express To Remove Virgin Brand

Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:14 pm

Hi,

I couldn't find this topic on the forum so I started a new one.

Now that SNBrussels and Virgin Express are merged into one holding company 'SN Air', Sir Richard Brandson no longer has the majority of the Virgin Express shares.

I heard that the Virgin Group don't allow any company to use the Virgin brand.

So does anybody knows what the new name will be for TV?

SN Air already declared that they will operate both carriers using different brands for different markets.

mariner

Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:23 pm

Quoting SNBru (Thread starter):
I heard that the Virgin Group don't allow any company to use the Virgin brand.

Virgin Blue uses the name Virgin, the brand, and Sir Richard does not own the majority shareholding in that airline.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

AEROFAN

Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:23 pm

perhaps they can use one of the following

Virg
Gin
Irg
Irgin

777klm

Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:25 pm

I hope that SN and TV form an entirely new airline. I would love to see a 'good' belgian flag carrier! (and PLEASE a new livery for the current SN planes)
Next flight: AMS - BCN - EZE

aerokiwi

Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:07 pm

I think the current SN livery is excellent. It's the name that confounds me - 'SN Brussels Airlines'?? What??

Vasu

Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:09 am

Yeah Aerokiwi, I think the same here... couldn't they change the name to something a bit simpler? Maybe "SN Belgium" or "SN Belgian"

... like TAP Portugal.

777klm

Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:15 am

SN Belgium sounds good indeed! Where is that 'SN' anyway? From the old Sabena flightnumbers?
Next flight: AMS - BCN - EZE

Vasu

Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:18 am

Yeah, I believe they kept the SN, as to retain some of the Sabena brand recognition.

FI642

Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:18 am

Once the merger is complete, the Virgin name will go away.
737MAX, Cool Planes for the Worlds Coolest Airline.

whitehatter

Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:34 am

Virgin licences the brand to many companies.

Virgin Records is part of EMI, Virgin.net is 100% owned by NTL. As long as there is a proper licencing arrangement in place then Virgin can stay on the aircraft.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

trident2e

Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:10 am

Quoting SNBru (Thread starter):
Sir Richard Brandson

Branson, not Brandson.

N1120A

Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:00 am

Quoting WhiteHatter (Reply 9):
Virgin licences the brand to many companies.

Virgin Records is part of EMI

Actually, that is not a license. Branson sold Virgin Records to EMI in order to invest more in VS and other holdings. He does own V2 Records which he started after the non-compete provision ended
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

AC777300

Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:16 pm

How about a name that incorporates all concered...Sir Dick SN!
You and I were ment to fly!

carledwards

Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:36 pm

I agree SN Brussels was a ridiculous brand name for a "national" airline, if it can be described as that! Personally, I think it sounds like an old nostalgic relic of the Sabena era, which whether we like it or not, has passed. I would say it is now time that they moved on and came up with a decent brand image for Belgium's national carrier. When Swissair went bankrupt they didn't call the new airline SR Zurich airlines hehe!

It would be ashame however for the Virgin Express brand to cease to exist, as the Virgin brand carries so much free publicity with it. The brand is also becoming more and more global in the airline field, with the rise of Virgin Nigeria contributing toward V Express, V Blue, and V Atlantic. V America is also 'somewhere' on the cards.

Carl
Directoria

cornish

Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:05 pm

Well the SN Brussels name was a bit of a quick decision ot ocme up with something after SABENA collapsed. Obviously Delta Air Transport (as SN Bru emerged from) was a name that was going to cause some confusion if it went international, so a name change was required anyway. The desire was to keep the SN code, and finally the fact that all of Delta's equipment were in Sabena branding meant that they decided to keep the "S" logo and so really just changed the name slightly to highlight from the start that it was an airline serving Brussels.

I think it was only meant to be a stop-gap, as they didn't want to waste money in the crucial first year on expensive branding, repainting, etc. But as time has gone on SN has got itself a good reputation as a quality little airline, and the brand recognition has got stronger than perhaps they expected.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

BestWestern

RE: Sir Richard Branson Wants Virgin Express To Remove Virgin Brand

Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:32 pm

The brand must go by the end of 2006, and was part of the merger deal.
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

carledwards

Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:44 pm

sorry BestWestern which brand must go; Virgin Express or SN Brussels?
Directoria

apuneger

Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:47 pm

At first I wasn't too sure about the name 'SN Brussels Airlines', but now, three years later, I think the name has become pretty much common over here, so why change thát name again? The only thing they might consider is abbreviate it to 'SNBA' (I think many people over here refer to this airline with those four letters, at least I do).

About the 'Virgin Express' brand, that one has become quite common over here as well. However, now that the two airlines have (again) joined forces, but now not just a simple codeshare agreement, the timing is perfect for a rebranding. They could eg start with 'SN Express'.

Or even better: 'SNBA' and 'SNBA Express'. Now don't you think that could work? It sounds like a good plan to me. It keeps a bit of both airlines' name and shows that they are part of one team ie SN Air Holding.

Greets,
Ivan
Ivan Coninx - Brussels Aviation Photography

HEGAN

Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:55 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 14):
SN has got itself a good reputation as a quality little airline, and the brand recognition has got stronger than perhaps they expected.

I see different issues:

If SN is recognized as a quality little airline, why they have merged with Virgin Express?

• If they want to become just sinonimus of quality, the merger does not have sense.
  • If they want to wider their operations, the merger has sense, but they should have a common identity, which implies to loose part of this 'quality', even if the new brad is closer to SN than to TV.

Agur,
Hegan

[Edited 2005-07-15 12:57:32]
HEGAN: Euskadiko Aeronautikako eta Espazioko Clusterra

dutchjet

Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:01 pm

Just maybe Virgin Express will go back to its original name - EUROBELGIUM AIRLINES - Eurobelgium was a smaller holiday flight charter airline that was purchased to start up the Virgin Express operation.

I am sure that the right to use the Virgin name, and until when, is clearly set forth in the business documents.

As for the SN Brussels name - simply a combination of the old SN code and the airlines base city - not the greatest name, but it seems to work. SN Brussels has done rather well, and has succeeded when everyone thought that they would fail, they should leave the name, its not broken, so dont try to fix it.

brightcedars

Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:05 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 15):
The brand must go by the end of 2006, and was part of the merger deal.

You beat me to it. It's part of the deal, they are granted some time to phase out the Virgin Express name. Not sure about the whole red paint on the planes though.

Quoting Carledwards (Reply 13):
SR Zurich airlines

Then that would be LX Zurich Airlines & LX Geneva Airlines as they haven't even been able to keep the SR code.  Smile

As far as SN Brussels Airlines' name is concerned. I agree it doesn't sound like the best brand name around for an airline company. They put the SN part as apparently the airline had recognition in Africa based on the IATA 2 letter airline code as well as its Sabena name. It is my understanding that, as reflected by the offset position and lighter color of the SN letters on the fuselage, the intention is to be recognized as Brussels Airlines.

Surely some other names could be more in tune with the country like Belgium Airlines/Aiways, Belgian Airlines/Airways or Air Belgium (which I think they own) but I believe they wanted to play more on the image of Brussels and maybe not the domestically & politically risky image of Belgium. Sad.
I want the European Union flag on airliners.net!

brightcedars

Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:10 pm

Quoting Dutchjet (Reply 19):
EUROBELGIUM AIRLINES

Let's go crazy and think wild! EuroBelgian Airlines (EBA) was the successor of TransEuropean Airlines (TEA). TEA was mainly active in Europe and holiday destinations. Let's add to that the African network and worldwide connections and rebrand the whole thing as Trans World Airlines (TWA)  cool 
I want the European Union flag on airliners.net!

richardw

Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:12 pm

Wasn't TEA taken over by easyJet Switzerland?

dutchjet

Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:13 pm

Quoting Richardw (Reply 22):

TEA Switzerland became Easyjet - TEA had subsidiary airlines in various European nations - one of those complicated things that never really worked out according to plans.

cornish

Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:14 pm

Quoting Richardw (Reply 22):

That was TEA Switzerland, rather than the main Belgian arm.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

flyAUA

Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:37 pm

Quoting Vasu (Reply 7):
Yeah, I believe they kept the SN, as to retain some of the Sabena brand recognition.

True, but why would you want to associate yourself with an airline that went down? I'd rather have a new name and not associate myself with the old airline. Just like Swiss...

So
What
It's
Still
Swissair

Wink
Not drinking, also isn't a solution!

access-air

Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:22 am

"""""Or even better: 'SNBA' and 'SNBA Express'. Now don't you think that could work? It sounds like a good plan to me. It keeps a bit of both airlines' name and shows that they are part of one team ie SN Air Holding."""""""

So if they are that close.....why not call it SABENA?????? Or are they forbidden from using that name?? What would be the harm???

Just a thought....

Access-Air
Remember, Wherever you go, there you are!!!!

carledwards

Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:54 am

it would be great if they called it SABENA. would certainly solve a lot of arguments  Smile although i dont think the bank creditors would like it!

SNBA Express?? I think if it were to change its name it would be something completely different, modern and original. So im not even going to speculate what it could be as I could not think of something like that myself!!
Directoria

SWISSER

Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:59 am

Quoting Apuneger (Reply 17):
Or even better: 'SNBA' and 'SNBA Express'. Now don't you think that could work? It sounds like a good plan to me. It keeps a bit of both airlines' name and shows that they are part of one team ie SN Air Holding.

yes, I like that names too Ivan!

Quoting Access-Air (Reply 26):
So if they are that close.....why not call it SABENA?????? Or are they forbidden from using that name?? What would be the harm???

Sabena is actually even more silly then SN Brussels Airlines...
it is short for Societé Anonyme Belges d'exploitation de la Navigation en Arienne...so let us stick with SNBA!  

or why not call it BNVEDNL this time to change languages?
(Belgische Naamloze Venootschap voor de Exploitatie van de Navigatie in de Lucht)

you can make it also then,
Belgische Naamloze Venootschap En nu Degelijk (gerunt) in het Nederlands)
(Pour t'amuser è, mes amis francophones! Je ne cherche pas de guerre ici!)

just kidding off course!
One thing or another SNBA makes good profit!
That's what count the most for me!

[Edited 2005-07-16 00:01:05]
What time is top of descent?

SWISSER

Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:11 am

Quoting HEGAN (Reply 18):
Quoting Cornish (Reply 14):
SN has got itself a good reputation as a quality little airline, and the brand recognition has got stronger than perhaps they expected.

I see different issues:

If SN is recognized as a quality little airline, why they have merged with Virgin Express?

If they want to become just sinonimus of quality, the merger does not have sense.

If they want to wider their operations, the merger has sense, but they should have a common identity, which implies to loose part of this 'quality', even if the new brad is closer to SN than to TV.

Agur,
Hegan

[Edited 2005-07-15 12:57:32]

Merger?
SN air holding fully controls both companies,
so they are now a player at the "low cost" market and a nice conventional airline with full service!

don't see why you're concerned??Elaborate!
What time is top of descent?

sabenapilot

Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:06 am

Seems way too many of you still are a bit confused about what exactly is the name of that little airline based in Brussels and how they want to be referred to....

May I suggest you check their online corporate ID manual before you come up with personal views like 'I think they like to be knows simply as Brussels airlines' or 'SNBA'!

http://web3.flysn.com/styleguide

Here you will find an almost endless list of downloadable masterbrands, logo's etc and an explication the one and only official name (never to be shortened) is indeed 'SN Brussels Airlines' and the ONLY abbreviation to be used when referring to the company is SN (thus NEVER use SNBA, although even our CEO does from time to time...)

Enjoy!

Vasu

Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:14 am

Sabenapilot,

I'm not fully understanding your first point in the last post... if they were only our PERSONAL views as to the names, surely there's nothing wrong with that...

ciaomc2002

Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:16 am

...Or how about Virgin Belgium - End Of!

Buyantukhaa

Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:29 am

Quoting Trident2e (Reply 10):
Branson, not Brandson

Actually, "Brandson" would be appropriate here  Wink talking about brandfathering rights...
I scratch my head, therefore I am.

sabenapilot

Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:42 am

Vasu-

THere's nothing wrong with personal views about what the name should be, I myself have a personal idea about that too. However, what I find a bit annoying is the repeated use of self-invented names like 'SNBA', 'Brussels Airlines' or 'SN Brussels' in many posts all over this forum as if these were all official names.

The name of the airline is spelled out in huge letters across the fuselage of their planes, surely it can't be that difficult to copy it correctly, can it?

How many times do we see QUANTAS misspelled on this forum?
Each time there is somebody stepping in to point out it should actually be QANTAS.
I'd also be corrected if I started a topic with 'Where are all the British Airlines' Concordes?' as title.
My post is merely something along that line...

Vasu

Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:50 am

Yeah, that's fair enough I guess  Wink

OHLBU

Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:32 am

Quoting Access-Air (Reply 26):
So if they are that close.....why not call it SABENA??????

Atleast within the industry the name Sabena is still very widely used when talking about SNBA, so much so that one has to be very careful to not say the word in front of the customers as it comes so automatically. And that is something the SNBA people do not like at all, they don´t want to admit any connection between the current SN and the one before. I really don´t understand why they came up with that name, they should have dropped the SN and chosen Brussels Airlines, which sounds and looks good. And this current livery is odd, the belly-color is awful and looks like they run out of paint when doing the nose-part of the plane. And that is not just my opinion as I have many colleagues who agree to this. no 

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jid Webb