KarlB737
Topic Author

NWA No Longer Absorbing Passenger Facality Charges

Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:37 am

tymnbalewne

RE: NWA No Longer Absorbing Passenger Facality Charges

Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:50 am

I must admit I read the subject line too quickly and thought is said, "NWA No Longer Absorbing Passenger Fatality Charges."

Ooops.
C.
Dewmanair...begins with Dew

Tango-Bravo

Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:12 am

For NWA or any other airline to implicitly claim that they have ever "absorbed" the PFC component of total fares is nothing more than semantical sleight-of-hand. Seems to me, in fact, that fares advertised by NWA (and others) invariably come with a footnote that reads something like "does not include passenger facility charge of up to $18.00 maximum per roundtrip itinerary."

Is NWA claiming to have been "absorbing" PFCs until now by setting their fares at levels that are, by their choosing, up to $18.00 less than they "would have" charged had they had the "pricing power" to pass along the cost of PFCs to their customers? If so, it is just so much more airline-speak hocus pocus, to say nothing of disingenuous spin.

ScarletHarlot

Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:23 am

Quoting TymnBalewne (Reply 1):
I must admit I read the subject line too quickly and thought is said, "NWA No Longer Absorbing Passenger Fatality Charges."

That is what I first got, too, and when I realized that was wrong my next thought was "fecality"....took a while to get it figured out.  Smile
But that was when I ruled the world

RJNUT

Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:43 am

Basically , what they are doing is adjusting fares to match the various PFC tax charges so that no one hub is more dominant over the other in terms of fares "searches" ! so now whether you travel via DTW MEM MSP or even CLE and EWR or IAH..via CO codeshare partners, the fare is the same, but they had to adjust fares to accomplish this since the PFC charges are set by individual airports..It all makes sense, but is pretty hard to explain!

NW would actually absorb the charge in certain situations, so that certain routings of theirs were not passed over to the competition,,just over the difference of $3.00 or $4.50.

In a fare search ..people would make their decsions for that little of an amount!

Hope this explains and chime in anyone if you think I missed the point!