bobbydgg

Is There A Worse Airport Than DFW?

Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:33 am

I am moving to Dallas in the fall and flew through DFW earlier this week. It is dirty, difficult to navigate, ugly, and crowded. When are they going to build a new one - or allow Southwest to fly more than one state away?

DfwRevolution

RE: Is There A Worse Airport Than DFW?

Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:36 am

>> I am moving to Dallas in the fall and flew through DFW earlier this week. It is dirty, difficult to navigate, ugly, and crowded.

What Terminal/airline? DFW is an incredibly easy airport to navigate once you get use to it.. curb to gate distance couldn't be shorter, connections are a breeze thanks to Skylink, and the airport for the most part is very modern.

>> When are they going to build a new one - or allow Southwest to fly more than one state away?

Try never, it has enough capacity to last decades and decades.

DeltaMIA

Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:52 am

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 1):
DFW is an incredibly easy airport to navigate once you get use to it

Thats true with any large airport. But to many fliers they all seem to be intimidated the first time.

curb to gate distance couldn't be shorter

MCI is probably a few steps shorter.
It's a big building with patients, but that's not important right now.

SonOfACaptain

Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:57 am

Quoting DeltaMIA (Reply 2):
Thats true with any large airport. But to many fliers they all seem to be intimidated the first time.

I myself think that DFW is easy to navigate even if you are new. Many people need to try and connect at DFW now that the train is running. It is a 100 times better.

Getting picky eh.  wink 

-SOAC
Non Illegitimi Carborundum

sampa737

Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:05 am

My son and I flew into DFW from GRU on the way to MEM this week. It was my first time in DFW. I found it easy to get around and appreciated the train being above ground. Though I prefer Delta and ATL, AA and DFW. I thought the design was unusual but fun to explore.

sampa737

Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:06 am

Oops! I meant to say, "Though I prefer Delta and ATL, AA and DFW was easy.

Venezuela747

Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:35 am

I like DFW...the desing is so simple , I mean how easy is a half circle....... no complicated terminals located everywhere each with a different shape
If you fly AA it makes it so easy travel around the terminal using the TrAAin....I just went to PHX and the amount of walking was too much.

The maps are everywhere really, and how hard can it be to navigate when all the number go in sequence once you reach your terminal.

Crowded........we'll any major hub is going to be crowded sometimes.......wanna talk crowded try transfering from A-B at LAS at night with the remodeling goin on.....hofully someone can back me up on this
ROLL TIDE!!!

AsstChiefMark

Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:39 am

DFW isn't fun for a couple reasons:

1) It's a pain to transfer between terminals. Nearly every time I have to transfer there I have to go from terminal B to terminal E and have twenty minutes to do so.

2) It's a boring place to watch airplanes.  Wink

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Juan Carlos Guerra Aviation Photography of Mexico

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

HPRamper

Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:47 am

The worst I've been through is RDU. Different terminals for different airlines making short connections unmanageable, security is in makeshift locations and getting to your gate means navigating a virtual maze of hallways and escalators.

SPREE34

Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:06 pm

I flew through on AA and agree, it was a filthy place. However, the terminal America West serves to connect with British Airways was very clean. I wonder why the difference.
I don't understand everything I don't know about this.

TUNisia

Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:31 pm

The car rental terminal is beautiful (for a car rental terminal)! Also, the TrAAin needs some work, it's one hell of a ride.
Someday the sun will shine down on me in some faraway place - Mahalia Jackson

texdravid

Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:36 pm

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 7):
2) It's a boring place to watch airplanes.

This is the only true and valid complaint of DFW. All other complaints listed above do not hold water, IMHO. DFW is way cleaner than most, and because of its spread-out nature, I don't find it that crowded. If you live in the DFW area, it is so easy to board and then coming back, pick your bags and leave.

The complaint that DFW is a boring place to planespot is obviously true. It has legions of MD-80's and 757's with a pitiful register of foreign metal. If you want foreign metal/tails, go to IAH between 2pm-8pm, and especially on the weekends.
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

jasepl

Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:36 pm

I used to think Heathrow was the worst airport in the world. Then I discovered Dallas! I really don't think there can be a worse hub than DFW since I've had the pleasure last year. It's nothing short of a horror.

texdravid

Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:41 pm

The reason that most foreign travelers have a negative view of DFW is that most of you fly BA or LH and land in the awful Terminal B which is old and lackluster.

Once flights start landing at the new Terminal D, I think more foreign travelers will have a more positive outlook on DFW.

Once again, if you also want to see foreign metal or expect a huge INTERNATIONAL airport, then of course you will be disappointed.

fraspotter

Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:42 pm

Personally I love DFW, it's LHR that I have heard of that is not very nice to fly through. I also love FRA which I have heard plenty of people talk trash about as well.
"Taking off is optional. It’s landing that’s mandatory."

bartond

Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:48 pm

I'd agree - it's not the most scenic of airports but the new international terminal should be a nice, pretty place for those of you who look for than in an airport. I've never connected through DFW but the TrAAin should help things out a lot. No offense to whomever wrote about the 20 minute connection thing, but you might want to give yourself more than 20 minutes to connect no matter what airport you're at. 20 minutes wouldn't be enough if you're connecting 5 gates away in the same terminal.

DFW ain't the best place to spot and ain't the most scenic, but it's one of the more user-friendly airports I've ever been to. I've never waited more than about 15-20 minutes in security lines or anything else there.

By the way, it was so nice to land at DFW today and see a KE 744 pax and a KE 744 cargo there at the same time. Not a big deal if you're in LAX or some other mega international gateway but a pretty nice sight for DFW.

texdravid

Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:52 pm

Quoting Bartond (Reply 15):
By the way, it was so nice to land at DFW today and see a KE 744 pax and a KE 744 cargo there at the same time. Not a big deal if you're in LAX or some other mega international gateway but a pretty nice sight for DFW.

Dude, even you have to admit that this situation is as rare as a total solar eclipse.

TACAA320

Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:53 pm

Don't be surprised if you see a mouse under your feet at Concourse A in MIA. I personally consider MIA worst than DFW.
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

FLAIRPORT

Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:58 pm

my dad was stuck on the ground for over an hour tonight...31 planes, none moving...no food (as promised on aa.com)...damn AA and damn DFW! He was supposed to be in at 11:30pm...more like 1:33am with arrival at home well after 2am and work tomorrow!
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

bartond

Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:01 pm

FLAIR - that would be due to storms that ran through the DFW area tonight. Not really AA or the airport's fault, I wouldn't think, but maybe you know something I don't.

Fleet Service

Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:04 pm

You think DFW is bad? Been through PHL lately?
Yes, I actually *do* work for an airline,how about you?

BH346

Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:21 pm

I didn't think DFW was that bad. Terminal C looked a bit run down there but I thought Concourse B was nice, especially the American Eagle area which is a great facility for a regional jet hub with jetways and ample seating. The new International Terminal looks to be an impressive facility. The thing I didn't like about DFW when I was there was the TrAAin but with the Skylink up that's not a problem anymore.
Northwest Airlines - Some People Just Know How to Fly

GQfluffy

Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:25 pm

connections are a breeze thanks to Skylink

I haven't been thru DFW since Skylink opened. I sure hope it works better then old shuttle system. I swear that thing ran thru Mexico and back before it got you to your terminal. But for all that, I think DFW has some kinda charisma to it, kinda like ATL (at least for me). Must be the funky terminals. I still say ORD is the worst airport/hub for domestic USA.

fluffy
This isn't where I parked my car...

GOAQ

Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:07 pm

F I L T H Y???????

The bathrooms maybe.....Like any other airport. You sure you went thru DFW? I personally didn't like going through DFW myself but now with the new train system, it's 100 times better than before. I actually took some time the other day while between flights and took it round trip from terminal C. Fast and effecient. But filthy....Hmmmmm. Were the airport cleaners on strike the day you went thru it?

Far beyone the cry of being FILTHY!!!!

ikramerica

Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:33 pm

Plus DFW has Dickey's BBQ! Come on, this is great stuff. If you haven't tried it, you must go hungry and get the sampler plate.

Anyway, DFW can be tough for connections, so as long as you don't schedule a 20 minute connection, it shouldn't be a problem.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

airbusfanyyz

Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:05 pm

DFW's got tons of issues... the biggest and the most infuriating for travellers like myself is the car rental arrangements. What a horrible setup!
If you're trying to fly out on getaway day (Friday) get to airport at least an extra hour early so you can return your car then make it to the terminal. Disgusting! Dallas is easily one of the worst of the big airports in the USA.

Cheers,
Kaz

jdaniel001

Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:17 pm

Quoting AirbusfanYYZ (Reply 26):
DFW's got tons of issues...

No more than anywhere else.

Quoting AirbusfanYYZ (Reply 26):
Dallas is easily one of the worst of the big airports in the USA

I am sick and tired of people busting on DFW. It's very sacred ground people. BI and TI were 2 carriers that no longer fly out of there and let's show a little bit of respect. I think anyone who has a problem with DFW is just freaking jealous that they don't have a beutiful and very large airport to drive though. DFW is probably the only hub in the world that does not add to the delays that ORD, ATL, and the East Coast has. And DFW go grow for years to come. And the Dallas Cowboys play a few miles away. What a great place. Fly into DFW and watch the Cowboys. Then there is food. Anyone try to eat at the airport lately. IAD stinks for food. So does ORD. The only thing good about ATL is the Krystal's in A, other than that...stinks. Come on people get a life!!!
We Are UNITED!

GQfluffy

Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:49 pm

Quoting Jdaniel001 (Reply 27):
Come on people get a life!!!

Speak for yourself. If you've got that much time invested in picking out the best places to eat in all the major US hubs...  box 

fluffy
This isn't where I parked my car...

PSU.DTW.SCE

Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:36 pm

I'm not sure why everyone is ripping on DFW so much. I used to not like it, but my opinion has drastically changed now that the new train is open, the new Admiral's Club in A (its unbelievable), the soon to open new D concourse, and the other renovations AA has made. Even within AA's system, I now feel that DFW is far superior to ORD in terms of facilities & operationally. I don't know why everyone says its filthy either, really is is very much on par, if not better than many other hub airports in the country.

You are far less likely to be delay proned in DFW than ORD. As for Thunderstorms, I wouldn't pick just on DFW. Every airport east of the Rockies has issues with them, it just depends on what day you happen to be there.

As for the comments on spotting and lack of diversity, tough. That is not a valid point in this conversation.

CM767

Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:48 pm

Quoting PSU.DTW.SCE (Reply 29):
I'm not sure why everyone is ripping on DFW so much.

Agree !!!!

Worst I have been to, has to be MIA. Crowded and chaotic, I believe that even PTY is better
But The Best Thing God Has Created Is A New Day

exFATboy

Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:57 pm

It's very sacred ground people. BI and TI were 2 carriers that no longer fly out of there and let's show a little bit of respect.

I hope this was meant to be tongue-in-cheek..."sacred ground"? There's nothing "sacred" about airlines going out of business because of bad management.

Besides, we're talking about the airport, not the airlines. I don't think DFW is that bad - yes, connections can sometimes be a pain (haven't been there since Skylink opened, so I can't comment on now), but that's true of any major airport. I wish I'd packed a lunch for the hike between gates last time I connected in DEN. I never noticed a cleanliness problem at DFW, either...anytime you have a lot of people going through a (relatively) small space in a hurry, you're going to get a mess.

Quoting Bobbydgg (Thread starter):
When are they going to build a new one - or allow Southwest to fly more than one state away?

Must...resist...temptation...to talk about Wright Amendment! (Must...stop...talking like...William Shatner!)  Big grin

nosedive

Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:01 pm

Ahh the other DFW debate Wink

DFW is probably the only hub in the world that does not add to the delays that ORD, ATL, and the East Coast has.

There's that other city that starts with "D"  Wink And DFW doesn't like the once a yr ice storm Wink

And the Dallas Cowboys play a few miles away.

And I care why?

Come on people get a life!!!

I am sick and tired of people busting on DFW.

These two together make me laugh...

It's very sacred ground people. BI and TI were 2 carriers that no longer fly out of there and let's show a little bit of respect. I think anyone who has a problem with DFW is just freaking jealous that they don't have a beutiful and very large airport to drive though.

So I should be nice to MEM b/c it had Republic and Southern??

The old TrAAin hardly ever worked the 3 trips I connected through DFW, maybe like 1 for 6. Granted that's a small sampler, and granted there is a new train system, but that still didn't leave a great taste in my mouth... I'll have to try DFW again now that the new train system is up and running, though.

nonrevman

Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:26 pm

The only real beef I have with DFW is that it is the only airport I know of where you have to pay just to drop off or pick up someone. Silly me thought that passenger facility charges on an airline ticket covered that expense. I do think that the tollbooth setup is pretty dumb, especially when they do not have enough people to man them. I agree that you often have to give yourself more time to get to DFW because of factors such as this.

As for the terminal itself, it is not too bad, nor have I ever seen it is crowded as the likes of ATL or LGW.

To me, ATL is the hands down winner of the most miserable travel experience of my life. My wife and I thought 2 hours would be enough time to connect to Rome, but we were wrong after having a 7 hour flight from DFW to ATL with ground holds, air holds, diversion to AGS, and waiting for a gate in ATL. Every trip through ATL lately has had some type of delay associated with it. Then, we had to spend the night in ATL since there was nothing to rebook us on until late next day, thankfully getting one of the last hotel rooms in the airport area. Oh yeah, ATL does not have enough baggage handlers. At least I gather that since it took FIVE days for our luggage to catch up with us. I guess 17 hours was not enough time for our luggage to be set up on the new flight. Moral of the story: Do not connect through ATL if you do not like losing days from your vacation and your luggage. They are impossibly overwhelmed and Atlanta has weather issues almost every day in the summer. Next time, I will spend hundreds of dollars more to get a direct flight across the pond from DFW. At least if we are delayed in DFW, we still get there within a reasonable amount of time--with our luggage.

ERJ170

Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:34 pm

MIA and DFW are the worst to connect in.

For DFW.. it is the gospel that you have to go from one one concourse to another.. and the 2 gates you want are always on the opposite end from each other.. the walkways/hallways are packed and all you truely see is AA in every shape and form. I don't care what anyone says.. navigating DFW takes WAY too long. I give DFW the thumbs down.

For MIA.. it's just the security features that gets on my nerves. Viewing is good.. taxing is not a problem.. it's just long as crap security lines. They also have minimal food choices on the airside of security (or at least the US wing does)... I give MIA a thumbs to the side.. it's good and bad. I've never been to the other terminals, so I can't really reply on them.

Quoting Nonrevman (Reply 33):
Do not connect through ATL

Actually, ATL has been really good to me.. nice terminals.. easy to maneuver.. although the weather can really mess up the schedule, the only one that can be blamed for that is Mother Nature.. so.. I give ATL the thumbs up.
Aiming High and going far..

Boeing7E7

Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:38 pm

Yeah... Maybe two steps.

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 34):
DFW are the worst to connect in.

That's because it was built as an O&D airport, not as a hub.

boeingfever777

Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:40 pm

Quoting Bobbydgg (Thread starter):
When are they going to build a new one - or allow Southwest to fly more than one state away?

never.... DFW is large enough for expansion already.

DFW is an incredibly easy airport to navigate once you get use to it.. curb to gate distance couldn't be shorter, connections are a breeze thanks to Skylink, and the airport for the most part is very modern.

agrees.... Connected though DFW in early June and flew onto DCA and the airport was very nice. Skylink makes it very easy to navigate to.

DFW isn't fun for a couple reasons:

1) It's a pain to transfer between terminals. Nearly every time I have to transfer there I have to go from terminal B to terminal E and have twenty minutes to do so.

2) It's a boring place to watch airplanes.

Try the new Skylink system and for spotting try IAH.

Quoting FLAIRPORT (Reply 18):
my dad was stuck on the ground for over an hour tonight...31 planes, none moving...no food (as promised on aa.com)...damn AA and damn DFW! He was supposed to be in at 11:30pm...more like 1:33am with arrival at home well after 2am and work tomorrow!

Why would they serve food on the ground. Weather related issues happen at any airport so get over it.

Quoting PSU.DTW.SCE (Reply 29):
I'm not sure why everyone is ripping on DFW so much.

Possible a bad experience, long delay, or just that they cannot read to navigate the airport correctly.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre.

jdaniel001

Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:43 pm

The only real beef I have with DFW is that it is the only airport I know of where you have to pay just to drop off or pick up someone. Silly me thought that passenger facility charges on an airline ticket covered that expense. I do think that the tollbooth setup is pretty dumb, especially when they do not have enough people to man them. I agree that you often have to give yourself more time to get to DFW because of factors such as this.

Finally something I agree with. But yet, we must wonder if the guy who thought up the toll booths was the same guy who said "let's put toll booths on every freaking interstate in Chicago. And not just one.....a whole bunch of them."

Actually, I don't know if PFC's were around when DFW was designed. Anyone know?

It it sounds like most everyone complaining flies on AA. Just wait it will get better. Eagle will take over B soon. So know you have 4 terminals to choose from. But I agree about ATL being bad. ORD is the worst. DEN has some long walks. PIT is pretty cool. IAH is a nightmare also.

Quoting Nosedive (Reply 32):
And the Dallas Cowboys play a few miles away.

And I care why?

Noone's asking.

Quoting GQfluffy (Reply 28):
Speak for yourself. If you've got that much time invested in picking out the best places to eat in all the major US hubs...

You obviously didn't catch the sarcasism there. And your a fellow airline employee to.
We Are UNITED!

nonrevman

Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:47 pm

It is not just weather that is the problem with ATL. They are maxed out with ATC issues. Any type of irregular operations will create a scene of chaos. You will understand what I mean when it happens to you.

If there is a bad storm at night, check out the security line when you come into the airport the next morning. It is hard to find the back of the line because it is growing at a rate that equals the pace of your walking. You literally have to run to the back of the line before it gets out of reach.

Since I have stopped working for the airlines, I now buy tickets and have far fewer vacations. Therefore, vacation time is much more valuable to me and my wife. Statistically, I would think that ATL gets hit with more delays than DFW. CNN labeled ATL as the most delay prone airport about 2 weeks ago. Sure, DFW has its bad days, but apparently not as many. Some may call DFW an "ugly" airport. However, I would rather fly out of an ugly airport that can handle its capacity than go out of a "prettier one" that will cost me two days of a week's vacation when the trouble shows up. In ATL, 4 out of 5 of my last trips have had some type of problem. The long rebooking lines, long lines at security, and long lines at the baggage office at ATL are far greater than anything I ever saw at DFW.

DFW has room for growth as several posters have noted. We have lots of runways as well. The new train system is in operation and soon the international terminal will be ready. It is getting better here.

ssides

Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:47 pm

Nearly every time I have to transfer there I have to go from terminal B to terminal E and have twenty minutes to do so.

Why do you have to transfer from B to E? Are you connecting from BA to HP, or KE to DL? Those are the only two combinations I can think of that would require a B-E connection.

Quoting FLAIRPORT (Reply 18):

Two hour delay due to weather ... he should be thankful he wasn't flying US through PHL, or NW through DTW.

The only real beef I have with DFW is that it is the only airport I know of where you have to pay just to drop off or pick up someone.

No, you don't. If you are inside the toll booths anywhere from 8 to 30 minutes, there is no charge. The 8-minute minimum is to prevent commuters from shortcutting through the airport.

On another note, I'll admit I'm biased toward DFW. It does have its issues, but no more than any other airport. Personally, I find it much easier to navigate, cleaner, and generally laid out better than IAH, ATL, IAD, DTW, MSP, JFK, LGA, LAS, and other airports of similar size.

Part of that bias, of course, comes from the fact that I live in Dallas, and for us who are lucky enough to live here, the airport is great. I can get off the plane, walk 20 feet to baggage claim, and another 20 feet to my car. That's one reason we love it. I HATE flying into ATL, MSP, or LAS and having to walk hundreds of feet to the train, then hundreds of feet to the baggage claim, then hundreds of feet to ground transportation.

Of course, there are some things that DFW needs to improve. They've already taken care of two -- the TrAAin and Terminal B customs. The TrAAin was a nightmare, and Terminal B customs was a joke -- an embarrasment for a world-class airport. Now, with SkyLink and the International Terminal D, those things are taken care of.

DFW's location does make it difficult to have decent public transportation connections, and the rental car situation could be better -- although the new central facility is a huge improvement over what it used to be.

Overall, I'd definitely say DFW is in the top 10 airports in the country. Not the best, but clearly not the worst (MIA or ATL would have to take that cake). I also generally like MSP, DCA, and ORD. Haven't been to DEN or LAX, so can't really say; and I've heard TPA is a great airport too.

I hope this is an honest assessment ...
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

nonrevman

Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:53 pm

Quoting Ssides (Reply 39):
No, you don't. If you are inside the toll booths anywhere from 8 to 30 minutes, there is no charge. The 8-minute minimum is to prevent commuters from shortcutting through the airport.

Are you sure about this? I know that this was in effect a couple of years ago, but if I am not mistaken, they changed it to charge everyone regardless of how long you are within the terminal area. I think 50 cents or 1 dollar is the minimum charge now.

casinterest

Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:00 am

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 8):
The worst I've been through is RDU.

Ok,
I really have to ask....How/WHY??? were you making the connection in RDU?
I will venture this was a US Airways to United Express switch for some reason , if you had to change terminals.....
The reason for United being in C has to do with FLYI owning the gate leases in A. UAX and Air Canada had to move to C for the gates they needed.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

ssides

Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:04 am

Quoting Nonrevman (Reply 40):
Are you sure about this? I know that this was in effect a couple of years ago, but if I am not mistaken, they changed it to charge everyone regardless of how long you are within the terminal area. I think 50 cents or 1 dollar is the minimum charge now.

You are right; I stand corrected. The minimum is $1.00 for 8 minutes - 1 hour (0-8 minutes is $2.00). I simply use my TollTag, so I guess I haven't noticed.

I don't know of any other airports that do this ... maybe something DFW should consider removing, especially if the Wright Amendment is repealed and DAL opens up.
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

nonrevman

Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:06 am

I just checked the DFW website, and you do have to pay now no matter what if you go through that toll booth. Here is the page I found it on:

http://www.dfwairport.com/parking/terminal.html

It looks like they charge you two dollars without a tolltag if you do make it in and out within 8 minutes. If you get out from 8 minutes to an hour, then it is one dollar. I remember when it was free between 8-30 minutes, or something like that. There were a couple of times when there was no traffic, I was dropping my wife off, and I got to the toll plaza before 8 minutes. Sometimes, you would have to pull to the side of the road before approaching the toll booth for a couple of minutes so that you would not get charged. It is a shame that you cannot just drop off/pick up a person without having to get a ticket and pay. Other than that, I have not real issues with DFW. It is a fairly decent airport to fly out of.

ord

Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:07 am

My favorite terminal had always been 4E (now just E) when Delta had its hub there. The entire terminal was redone around 1997 with new carpeting, gate areas and signage, restaurants, etc. Unlike AA's multiple terminals, you knew that if you lived in Dallas and parked your car at the terminal for a trip you would land upon returning to DFW at the same terminal and have your car within walking distance. The only problem was when the terminal was crowded the concourse walkways would seem a bit narrow to handle all the passengers, especially compared to the wide concourses in places like O'Hare (United's terminal) and Detroit (Northwest's terminal). Overall a great terminal that is now nothing but a memory since Delta dismantled the hub.

misbeehavin

Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:09 am

and for us who are lucky enough to live here, the airport is great. I can get off the plane, walk 20 feet to baggage claim, and another 20 feet to my car.

I wouldn't consider myself lucky to be living in Dallas!  Wink

But what you say is true. It is great to arrive or depart from DFW. I have often made it from my seat on the plane into the taxi in 5 minutes flat. Of course it takes 2 years to get from DFW to anywhere, but that's another story!

Connecting at DFW can be a nightmare. Why do have different trains? It's dumb.

S12PPL

Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:39 am

curb to gate distance couldn't be shorter

EUG is probaby a wee bit shorter than the two combined Wink
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

henpol747

Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:41 am

You think DFW is bad?? My friend you haven´t seen anything yet, try MEX for example!!!!

Henpol747  flamed 
Vive la France! ¡Viva México!

AAtakeMeAway

Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:52 am

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 46):
EUG is probaby a wee bit shorter than the two combined

Or how about SPS or EVV Big grin

Why do you have to transfer from B to E? Are you connecting from BA to HP, or KE to DL? Those are the only two combinations I can think of that would require a B-E connection.

HP has moved to E?  confused 

STARalliance24

Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:10 am

Quoting Henpol747 (Reply 47):
You think DFW is bad?? My friend you haven´t seen anything yet, try MEX for example!!!!

Mex is not that bad. It has:

-Air France daily (AF438, AF344)
-British Airways (BA243)
-Iberia (IB6405, IB6405)
-Lufthansa (LH498)
-KLM (KL685)
-Japan Airlines (JL010)

And more flights from United Airlines, Air Canada, Aeromexico, Mexicana, American Airlines, Aerolineas Argentinas, Varig (B777), LAN airlines, Delta Airlines

It actually has more Intl flights then DFW.

HPRamper

Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:20 am

Quoting CasInterest (Reply 40):
I really have to ask....How/WHY??? were you making the connection in RDU?
I will venture this was a US Airways to United Express switch for some reason , if you had to change terminals.....

I was actually transferring from UA to DL. Such are the breaks of booking the cheapest one-way possible....my flight went PDX-ORD-RDU on UA, RDU-ATL-TRI on DL. At RDU not only are the terminals that DL and UA use separated, they have a parking garage between them. To make my connection I had to literally sprint through the middle of the parking garage and then of course I had to re-checkin at DL ticket counter. I barely made it, my bags did not make it.