js

Help Needed - Upgrade Denied

Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:21 pm

Looking for suggestions as to how to handle this problem.

I purchased an M class econ ticket on LH for travel tomorrow from FRA to SFO. Several weekes ago I contacted UA and they requested a bus. upgrade for me using UA miles and then UA mailed me coupons to use for the upgrade in the face amount of 30,000.

LH just confirmed that the upgrade request has cleared but claim that the award is 35,000. It seems impossible to get a UA rep and a LH rep on the phone together to sort this out. They also claim that their res systems don't speak to one another so LH cannot confirm that I have the extra award miles available in my UA account.

Anyone??? Ideas????

[Edited 2005-07-15 09:22:54]

TonyBurr

RE: Help Needed - Upgrade Denied

Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:22 pm

If UA mailed you the upgrade certificate and said it was good, wouldn't you just show the upgrade certificate to LH? How would they know if it was 30,000 or 35, 000 miles. Don't they just need the certificate from UA?

RDUDDJI

Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:16 pm

Here's a chart with UA's rules. It's usually the same for star alliance partners.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,1151,00.html

It say's 30,000 on there for M-D/C upgrade over the atlantic. IIRC 30,000 sounds more correct than 35,000. It's usually 30k-60k-90k-120k for most of the award travel and upgrades.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

OHLHD

Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:06 am

http://portal.lufthansa.com/online/p.../miles_and_fly?l=en&nodeid=1209676

This is the LH link for Upgrades. It is indeed 35000miles for Y to C-Class.

dutchjet

Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:20 am

Its gonna be difficult, you have less than 24 hours and its a weekend.......

Focus on UA, there is little that LH can do for you, they need a certificate (or some other document) for 35,000 miles and that will be their position. And as logical as it seems, rarely to the airlines "talk to eachother" about these issues, its your problem.

Get UA on the phone, if you have to call a number in the US, do it. Explain the situation in detail to them and the result, that UA made a mistake by sending you a voucher for 30,000 miles instead of the 35,000 miles is no longer important at this point - all that is important is that UA get a coupon for an additional to you or LH in FRA before the checkin time at FRA. Can this be done electronically or with a fax (whatever you get must satisfy LH) or via another type of document? Maybe the UA desk at FRA can be advised to issue something to you that you can pick up before you head over to LH. I dont have any real answers, but its up to you to know what questions to ask and then very graciously work the system. A lot will depend on the specific person you speak with at UA, and if he or she does not seem cooperative or is unwilling to help, ask for a supervisor or simply end the conversation, and call again, maybe you will have better luck with the next person.

Best of luck, I hope it works out, things like this can be so upsetting - I understand.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos