poh2

Checking In With AA For LX Flight? (CCS-MIA-ZRH)

Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:06 am

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

I know that AA/LX codeshare on many routes and that they also have reciprocal frequent-flyer benefits. However, what happens in the following case:

Next Monday (18JUL2005) I am flying CCS - MIA on AA 2106 and then continuing MIA - ZRH on LX 65.

The CCS-MIA portion is not codeshared with LX, and is operated by AA. The MIA-ZRH is codeshared with AA and operated by LX. I have two separate tickets. One is the AA ticket for CCS-MIA and the other is an LX ticket for MIA-ZRH. I'm guessing what I won't be able to check in for the LX flight in CCS, right?

What about later on, when LX joins Star Alliance, will it be possible to do something like this? (i.e. check-in for a UA flight that connects to a LX flight)

Thanks for your help!
Patrick
"Life is too short to take everything seriously."

KKMolokai

RE: Checking In With AA For LX Flight? (CCS-MIA-ZRH)

Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:13 am

You should be able to check luggage through to your final destination, however, you will not be able to get your LX boarding card from AA.
We are the people of American Airlines. And we know why you fly.

Venezuela747

RE: Checking In With AA For LX Flight? (CCS-MIA-ZR

Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:38 am

Poh2,

I hope you have plenty of time....AA should be able to check your bags but not give you a boarding card since you have two different schedules. Once you arrive at MIA you'll have to go through Immigration, pick up your bags go thorugh customs and then drop them off at the belt/carrousel for connecting flights only if your bags are tagged, then head to the LX counter and get your boarding pass (not sure which terminal you will arrive and depart) and go through security

If AA cannot check your bags through ZRH, you'll have to haul your bags to the LX counter.......I hope you have at least 2 hours for connection minimum

Also since your bags are coming in from a foreign country and connecting somewhere else I believe they will have to go through TSA screening, once you load them onto the belt bags will be checked at random by TSA, they will brake your lock if it is locked and search all your stuff then attempt to place them back as well as they can...so this might cause a delay of your bag of getting into the LX plane on time. I donno if it possible but you might be bale to ask the gate agent as you board if your bag made it through.

How come you didn't choose a European carrier, MIA is a major pain when you are coming from South America, tehy treat you like crap

I think CCS needs a flight to ZRH
ROLL TIDE!!!

lamedianaranja

RE: Checking In With AA For LX Flight? (CCS-MIA-ZRH)

Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:47 am

Quoting Venezuela747 (Reply 2):
Once you arrive at MIA you'll have to go through Immigration, pick up your bags go through customs and then drop them off at the belt/carousel for connecting flights

I understand that you take your bags tru Customs in the USA if that's your first port of call in the USA, i.e. your next leg is also in the USA.
When traveling from one country to another, you never pick up your bags if they're labeled all the way tru.
Better check this at AA counter in CCS!
I wish that all skies were orange and blue!!