TWFirst
Topic Author

New TWA Focus Cities?

Fri Apr 28, 2000 6:25 am

Any thoughts on where TWA will put their next focus city? I've heard New Orleans and Fort Lauderdale mentioned as possibilities.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

RE: New TWA Focus Cities?

Fri Apr 28, 2000 10:55 am

New Orleans is a definate!

flyCMH

Fri Apr 28, 2000 11:03 am

Along with New Orleans, I think Indianapolis is going to become a TWA focus city. Of the 6 daily flights TWA has to IND, 3 of them are with 757 aircraft, Indianapolis is inbetween St. Louis and JFK, and Indianapolis is also the home of Chautauqua Airlines, which recently became a TWA regional partner.

DeltaRNOmd-80

Fri Apr 28, 2000 11:50 am

FLL could be a focus city for many airlines simply because it is growing very fast and getting a lot of pax. SMF could be a focus city for an airline but if TWA goes to MSY it will face competition from UAL or DL as i think they are MSY's main carriers (i dont mean their hubs)

AmtrakGuy

Fri Apr 28, 2000 12:08 pm

I think Indianpolis is too close to St. Louis......they need to be farther out than that....more closer to east coast.....

Dave

DL WIDGET HEAD

Sat Apr 29, 2000 12:26 am

I think FLL will be their next focus city. Growth and passenger traffic at FLL is tremendous and the airport is about halfway finished building a new terminal. A lot of TWA jets would sure look good at that new facility.

TWFirst
Topic Author

Sat Apr 29, 2000 12:52 am

I suspect it's a good possibility, DL Widget Head. They already have flights to all three of their hubs/focus city out of there (STL, JFK, SJU) plus they have TW Connection service to the Bahamas, Key West, etc. from FLL. It seems it would be natural to further build on their Florida/Carribean traffic with a gateway in FLL. For me, it would be great if FLL was their next focus city and they offered a non-stop to MSP (although their current gate situation in MSP would prevent this - only one gate and not big enough for a 757). I think FLL is underserved by NW (only one flight a day currently and it's seasonal). Plus, I hate NW and really like TW.

mdsmith11

UAL's Presence At New Orleans

Sat Apr 29, 2000 1:01 am

Sorry, UAL is not one of the larger carriers as far as passenger boardings count at New Orleans. Actually we're 5th after US Air (ways), Continental, Southwest, and Delta. Even though everything we have comes in full and leaves full, we're still fifth.

I had heard a TWA employee mention that New Orleans was going to become a focus city, but so far only the Mexico City flight was added and that is fixin to discontinue due to a nearly non-existant load factor. I think that all of their flights except one depart for STL and the remainder to JFK.

Mark from UAL @ MSY

TWFirst
Topic Author

Sat Apr 29, 2000 1:04 am

I heard the same thing Mark, from a TW employee up here in Minneapolis.

FLL

Sat Apr 29, 2000 5:31 am

Being a citizen of Ft. Lauderdale, I sure hope TWA 1) get some quick capital fast, 2) use FLL as a bridgehead to LatAm because AA will make meatloaf out of TWA if they remain domestic.

I agree, TWA could use gates in the Int'l terminal as well as the ones at T2.

On a lighter note, does anyone know who's moving into the new terminal?

Take care and have a good afternoon.  

MSYtristar

RE: FLL

Sat Apr 29, 2000 5:38 am

MSY or FLL would make good choices for expansion into Central America, and if they had more long-haul equipment, South America. Using MSY as a connecting center for Central America as well as using FLL as a connecting center for the Caribbean would be a good idea, but it's doubtful that that would happen. I hope for MSY in any case........plenty of leisure travel, lots of conventions, good population base of just about a million.....a win-win scenario for TWA. Let's just hope they don't go head-to-head with Southwest.......lol.

Stephen

klwright69

Sat Apr 29, 2000 10:20 pm

I doubt FLL or MSY would be successful against MIA and IAH for Latin and Caribbean traffic. Not soon at least. Sorry.

TWFirst
Topic Author

Sat Apr 29, 2000 11:04 pm

I agree with you KLwright69 about MSY - I think they would use it more as a domestic focus city, but I must disagree with you about FLL. FLL is much more convenient (less congested) than MIA, and as I mentioned earlier, they already have Trans World connection service out of FLL to several Carribean locales, as well as regular service to SJU (with further connection to Aruba)

DL WIDGET HEAD

Sat Apr 29, 2000 11:27 pm

I also disagree with you Klwright69 about TW and FLL. FLL traffic is booming, domestic as well as international. Within the next few months, Aeromexico and Air Aruba will initiate service to FLL. There are quite a few other INTL airlines serving the airport. It used to be that all INTL traffic to South Florida flowed through MIA but not any more. MIA is huge, crowded, and bursting at the seams. The population base of Greater Ft. Lauderdale is bewtween 2 and 3 million. So, there's no question that there would be plenty of O & D traffic for TW as well as connecting traffic.

UNITED777ORD

Sun Apr 30, 2000 12:44 am

The new TWA focus city will be either IND, SDF, or MCI.

TWFirst
Topic Author

Sun Apr 30, 2000 1:05 am

Those choices are all within 250 miles of STL, United777ORD. Do you think TW will try to take advantage of the fact those 3 aren't major hub cities (unless you count ATA at IND and SW at MCI), or were you just joking (winking smily faces made me wonder).

UNITED777ORD

TWFirst

Sun Apr 30, 2000 1:12 am

Either IND, MCI, or SDF will be a focus city for TWA.
Not joking!!
Just because these cities are 250 miles from St. Louis doesn't mean they cannot be focus cities.

-United777ORD-

DL WIDGET HEAD

RE: TWFirst

Sun Apr 30, 2000 1:28 am

United777ORD, can you explain why you feel TW will make IND, SDF, or MCI a focus city. I think TWFirst nailed it, those cities are too close to STL.

VirginA340

Sun Apr 30, 2000 1:33 am

I hope that TWA can increase flights to and from JFK as well as add more destinations to Europe and the carribean and other parts of the Middle East and Asia. Maybe Austrailia can come into play. I'll look forward to the day when TWA will regain their routes of KFK-LHR and JFK-Bombay, India like they had in the early 1990s.
I still remember my 747-100 and L-1011 flights from JFK-LHR-BOM back in the early 1980s
"FUIMUS"

ATA757

OK...I'm Gonna Set This Straight!

Sun Apr 30, 2000 1:05 pm

(True or False)

1) Delta is making big-bucks from their CVG and ATL hubs!!!

2) TWA has potential in IND because they will have a new airport in 5 years.

3) TWA is not too close to STL.

4) TWA would be welcomed to IND.

'A L L' 'A N S W E R S' 'A R E' " T R U E "  

Extra Credit) America West is doing good out of their PHX and LAS hubs. (TRUE)  

How can you totally put IND out of the picture??? I see DL and AWA doing good in their 'close-together' hubs!!!

What do you think???  

ATA757  

Tom in NO

Sun Apr 30, 2000 1:25 pm

I'm not yet privy to any rumors about MSY become a TWA focus city, I'll check with my boss (trust me, guys, he'll know) on Monday.

However........the MSY-MEX flight is going away in May. The contiuation of the JFK-MSY flight will go to SAT beginning in July.

MSY is a very tricky market to try to create Central American traffic. AeroMexico left in the recent past, TWA's is leaving, and frankly, TACA and Lacsa are not doing well on their Mexico runs. The problem began years ago when MIA, ATL and IAH had their market growth in those areas, promoted themselves in that area, and MSY stayed silent, and now we can't catch up.

As for the original question about a TWA focus city, we're out of position for a geographical hub, we're missing a parallel runway (don't mention a parallel 01/19, cause that ain't happening for at least 10 years), and we're most an origin and destination airport (8th largest O and D in US). Now that I've said that, once in a while, I hear rumors about the Caribbean, so that might be an area TWA would look at (SJU would be a possibility).

I frankly like the idea of MCI, TWA used to have a mini-hub there in the 80's, and I still think that the KC area could manage a hub.

Tom in NO (at MSY)
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

TWFirst
Topic Author

Sun Apr 30, 2000 3:48 pm

Hey Tom in NO: SJU is already a TW focus city (the first) and that is why I was asking the original question. although I do apprecitate the insight of your boss into the question. As for ATA757 (a teenager), he seems to be saying he thinks IND is not too close to STL, and cites the AWA hubs of LAS and PHX as examples, although those are big O & D destinations (sorry ATA757, IND is NOT). Anyway, I'm still betting on MSY (with spokes to places like Boston, MSP, LAX, etc.) and FLL (with spokes to the same places.)

Are These True?

Mon May 01, 2000 5:48 am

OK all of you know how rumors go, but I've been hearing these two cities mumbled here at AWA about TWA....

San Antonio
Phoenix

OK, I seriously doubt TWA would survive here in PHX! All of the airlines have pretty big operations here in PHX and I think they (especeially AWA and SWA) would eat TWA alive! Just my personal opinion, but San Antonio doesn't sound too bad of a city to start a good operation... pretty big city that's growing..... There's well over a million people right in the city of San Antonio and there's a lot of business and even more tourism in the San Antonio area.
Any insight?

desertjets

Mon May 01, 2000 6:33 am

Since TWA plans on having 4-5 total focus cities I see many of these as a possibility. FLL seems to be the strongest, growing population base, popular lesuire and business destination and a good base to connect to the Caribean and Central American. As for TWA regrowing out of JFK, that seems highly unlikely. They have been pulling out of JFK, now only in T5, and closed stations at Madrid, Barcelona, and Rome. TWA is dead focused on Latin America, FLL is the city. And the speculation that TWA might expand in Phoenix is unlikely. Not only do you have AWA's and SW's largest hub operation but also AA, DL, and UA all operating 30+ flights a day out of Sky Harbor. Also I don't see MCI or IND or SDF as another focus city. With St. Louis as their main hub, smack in the middle of the country, it seems that somewhere in the southeast or west would be more likely.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

DL WIDGET HEAD

Mon May 01, 2000 6:59 am

DesertJets, I agree with everything you wrote. Very well thought out and logical.

MSYtristar

Mon May 01, 2000 7:38 am

Well, if MSY will be picked(50/50 chance I'd say), TWA should use the city's position to its advantage. Flights could come in from the west(Texas, California), stop in MSY, and continue to Florida and the Caribbean. LAX-MSY-FLL, or a route like that, would be quicker stopping in MSY than in STL by about a hour I'd say. They could do a SEA-MSY-SJU service on 6 and 7, 1-stop SFO-FLL, and several others. And yes, maybe a flight to the D.C area. All in all, MSY wouldn't be a bad choice.

Stephen

Tom in NO

Mon May 01, 2000 8:11 am

I'm not saying I wouldn't like to see MSY become a focus city for TWA, I would be more interested in seeing an east-west focus as described above (LAX, SFO, etc-MSY- SJU, MIA, FLL, etc). It was tried in the mid-80's with Pride Air, and didn't last long, but TWA might be able to swing it.

Tom in NO (at MSY)  
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

MSYtristar

MSY

Mon May 01, 2000 8:28 am

I think we have somethng here with an East-West route system through MSY. If TWA doesn't do it, I just may one day.....:0) Tom I have a few more questions for ya if you don't mind. 1) Is there a regular schedule to the charter flights to S. America or Europe? I read in the paper every now and again about charters to Spain, etc. Do these operate monthly? 2) Has a 777 ever visited MSY? 3) I read on a press relaease on MSY's web site that Taca will expand service out of MSY pretty soon........do u see that happening?

thanks,

Steve

Mon May 01, 2000 10:32 am

I personally don't know what all the focus is about "focus citys". I haven't seen the numbers, but I know that TWA at SJU is anything but a homerun. How San Juan was chosen is beyond me. AA has and will continue to always be demonint at SJ and MIA, they own the Spanish speaking clientele, and the strong connections engineered by former AA chief Crandal are very tight and will continue to benefit AA long into the future. He played politics very well and it shows. American has the infrasture, history, and know-how to compete in the LatAm/Carribbean market. However, AA wisely has shifted mush of its LatAm business and operations to MIA and replaces jets with turboprops on many SJU flights. Why? One, San Juan has little in the way of high-paying business travelers and AA's flights have been comprised of mostly vacationers using FF points or cheap tickets from travelocity and the like. If TWA wants that market, well it won't do much to help the airlines less than stellar financial situation. Second, business travelers changing planes to points south, prefer modern American airports to old, cramped Luis Munoz Marin airport. Also most of the biggie's are fighting TWA on there own turf. After TWA initated SJU-Aruba MD80 flights, Delta immediately started flights to Aruba from its much larger and dominant Atlanta WorldHub. This cherrypicking will only continue and just as RJs helped others to bypass STL, many will bypass SJU. Third, TWA's midwest parochial culture is VERY different than that of the Spanish speaking Carribean territory. Plus, Gulfstream feeder service is anything but committed to TWA. Let's remember they decided to move to SJU first, before TWA committed to "focus city" operations there. Also Gulfstream does the same thing for TWA that it does for United and Continental.
As for other focus citys. FLL would be a disaster. Already FLL is very tight and TWA's marketshare there is minuscule. I can get the figure if its needed. 3) Competition at FLL is fierce and two other airports are less than an hour away, AA's megalith Miami, and PBI. Many low-cost operations are well-situated at FLL, such as Spirit, Metrojet, JetBlue, and Delta Express. Tower tried to jump into the fray with daily flights to JFK and was clobbered. After decarling chpt 11, JFK-FLL was the first to be dropped, so yeah the market is expanding but only a very professional, efficient operation will survive. USAirways and Delta/Delta Express are firmly intrenched.
NewOrleans? I' cant believe Compton would go to New Orleans, home of Southwest. TWA used to have a NewOrleans-Dallas that was dropped due to poor yields and as someone correctly reported, NewOrleans-Mexico City is also a mess. Other airlines have tried New Orleans to no avail, what TWA needs is to consolidate at STL, continue nich flying to middle east and Africa from JFK, and start turning profits. ALSO SOME COMMON SENSE WHEN ORDERING NEW AIRFRAMES. Buying 150 A318s and 100 717s made TWA the laughingstock of the industry. Thankfully that was Compton's predecesor who can only do damage from the chairman's office now.
As for TWFirst, if your out there, I don't know what you mean "making trouble", this isnt like a shareholders meeting and I'm trying to dump the stock, I'm simply bringing up some efficiencies with the airline, and prompting responces on how the could be rectified. I know you agree with that, and if you don't than its you who isn't putting TWA first.

desertjets

Mon May 01, 2000 11:29 am

I think TWAneedsHelp misses the point of the focus city concept. TWA is not attempting to do any hub building with these cities.TWA wants to increase its market share into various markets were they want more presense to feed into the mainline service as well as point-to-point service. TWA realizes that they can never beat out AA at San Juan or in Latin America or the Caribean, that was NEVER their intention. But when a market is only served by a single carrier competition is always welcomed by people paying the fares. Also, you need to remember that TWA is concentrating a lot of its operation at Lambert, the number of daily departures there has increased by more than 100 in the past few years. And don't mock TWA's decision to buy the 717 and A318. For the markets they fly, short and long haul, many of them proved to be too thin to have any large frequency to be flown by larger MD-82/83 and 757 aircraft. This move allows TWA to not only replace the remainder of its DC-9 fleet, but to increase frequency on exisiting routes and open up new long, thin routes. Why does Continental have such a large fleet of smaller 737's??? For the very same reason.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

n757tw

Mon May 01, 2000 11:55 am

I think it should be Dallas/Fort Worth (KDFW). They fly at least 8 flights a day to DFW. The first 717 is flying into DFW, and I think a 757 every now and then would be nice.

DeltaRNOmd-80

Mon May 01, 2000 12:01 pm

uhh, N757TW, i think you dont know what you are talking about. DFW is a hub for AA and DL, TWA would have to be insane to have that as their focus city, just thought i would clear that up.  

TWFirst
Topic Author

Mon May 01, 2000 10:46 pm

Response to "TWAneedsHELP" comments:

"...As for TWFirst, if your out there, I don't know what you mean "making trouble", this isnt like a shareholders meeting and I'm trying to dump the stock, I'm simply bringing up some efficiencies with the airline, and prompting responces on how the could be rectified. I know you agree with that, and if you don't than its you who isn't putting TWA first."

I have NO IDEA what you're talking about. I've never responded to any of your postings before. Although your response and opinions regarding my original forum topic are appreciated, I do not agree with them. According to your profile, you're a teenager, so I'm not sure what business and industry experience you're drawing on to form your opinions. Please read DesertJets posting immediately after yours. This person seems much more informed and knowledgeable about TW's situation and the focus city concept.

Incidentally, TWFirst refers to the name of TW's first class service, which I've been fortunate enough to experience several times. Beats most of the other majors hands down.

chrisnh

Tue May 02, 2000 1:45 am

How can an airline with relatively few aircraft and routes have anything near a 'focus city?' Seems kind of humorous in context to AA and their focus cities.

RE: TWANeedsHelp

Tue May 02, 2000 3:03 am

What a joke your post was! Let's try the truth now shall we?
-----------------------------

>>>I personally don't know what all the focus is about "focus citys". I haven't seen the
numbers, but I know that TWA at SJU is anything but a homerun. How San Juan was
chosen is beyond me. AA has and will continue to always be demonint at SJ and MIA,
they own the Spanish speaking clientele, and the strong connections engineered by
former AA chief Crandal are very tight and will continue to benefit AA long into the
future.<<<

Actually the SJU focus city is doing very well for TWA, despite it being a low yield market.
AA does not "own" the Spanish speaking clientele, and you'd be surprised how much resentment there is in the Caribbean and S. America over AA's monopolistic dominance of those markets.

>>>He played politics very well and it shows. American has the infrasture, history,
and know-how to compete in the LatAm/Carribbean market. However, AA wisely has
shifted mush of its LatAm business and operations to MIA and replaces jets with
turboprops on many SJU flights.<<<

If you considering buying up and expanding upon PanAm's old routes as playing politics, then you are a bigger idiot than I thought. AA moved in on a read- made market, and not because CrAAndal was a genius.

>>>Why? One, San Juan has little in the way of
high-paying business travelers and AA's flights have been comprised of mostly
vacationers using FF points or cheap tickets from travelocity and the like. If TWA
wants that market, well it won't do much to help the airlines less than stellar financial
situation<<<

TWA recognize that SJU is primarlily low-yield traffic, however there is money to be made as TWA have shown with their correct choice of focusing on SJU. There is a large market for O&D traffic out of SJU that has nothing to do with FF miles. As for cheap tickets, a profit can still be made and last time I checked a ticket to SJU is NOT cheap no matter who you fly with. SJU HAS in fact helped TWA's financial situation--like it or not, TW have made money with SJU.

>>Second, business travelers changing planes to points south, prefer modern
American airports to old, cramped Luis Munoz Marin airport.<<<

Last time I checked, ATR 42's to GHB (Governor's Harbor), GGB (Georgetown), FPT (Freeport), MHH (Marsh Harbor), Treasure Cay (TBB), Anguilla (AXA), BQN (Aquadilla),
Mayaguez (MAZ), Ponce (PSE), Providenciales (PVS) and many more destinations were not business destinations  . Believe it or not, the Caribbean market is mostly a tourist market--duh!

>>>After TWA initated SJU-Aruba MD80
flights, Delta immediately started flights to Aruba from its much larger and dominant
Atlanta WorldHub.<<

Please explain how SJU-AUA competes with ATL-AUA! Totally different market! . I believe Delta served AUA before TWA came to town anyhow.

>>>This cherrypicking will only continue and just as RJs helped others
to bypass STL, many will bypass SJU<<<

People will not use SJU on TWA to connect to points further south (other Caribbean destinations). Duh! SJU is O&D traffic all the way!!

>>>Third, TWA's midwest parochial culture is
VERY different than that of the Spanish speaking Carribean territory<<<

Ah...and AA's Texas Protestant culture is also very different. What are you talking about?!?!   Somehow TWA are filling a 757 from STL-SJU. There are a LOT of Puerto Ricans in the United States my friend.

>>>Plus, Gulfstream
feeder service is anything but committed to TWA. Let's remember they decided to
move to SJU first, before TWA committed to "focus city" operations there. Also
Gulfstream does the same thing for TWA that it does for United and Continental. <<<

Regional carriers commonly serve 2 or 3 major airlines. Look at TSA, they are the regional carrier for United Express, TWE, and DL Connection.

>>>As for other focus citys. FLL would be a disaster. Already FLL is very tight and TWA's
marketshare there is minuscule. I can get the figure if its needed.<<<

Wrong, again!   FLL is doing very well for TWA. They are filling up the MD80's to SJU and the LAX redeye service is also pretty popular. Do get that figure, and I will be getting mine. I challenge you to prove FLL is not successful for TWA.

>>>Competition at
FLL is fierce and two other airports are less than an hour away, AA's megalith Miami,
and PBI. <<<

AA Jet departures at MIA = 127----hardly a "megalith"
PBI is a small airport compared to FLL, mainly for the rich folk who don't dare drive too far from their mansions.

>>>Many low-cost operations are well-situated at FLL, such as Spirit, Metrojet,
JetBlue, and Delta Express.<<<

What's your point? Low fare and traditional carriers co-exist at MANY airports. Just look at MCO (Orlando)!

>>>Tower tried to jump into the fray with daily flights to JFK
and was clobbered. After decarling chpt 11, JFK-FLL was the first to be dropped, so
yeah the market is expanding but only a very professional, efficient operation will
survive. <<<

Tower operated a 747 JFK-FLL for years until Chapter 11. Just because an airline in bankrupcy drops a city, doesn't mean it can't be profitable. Tower was a garbage airline that could barely get their metal out on time---how does their faliure illustrate that only "an efficient professional operation will survive"? Isn't this true of the entire aviation industry or ANY industry for that matter?

>>>USAirways and Delta/Delta Express are firmly intrenched. <<

Both are low-fare carriers concentrating on North-South Services (i.e. NE to Florida)
TWA does not compete for low fare trash pax, and do a lot of their flying to FLL on an east-west basis (i.e. LAX, STL, etc.) They are not even competing with DLX or MJ.

>>> I' cant believe Compton would go to New Orleans, home of Southwest.
TWA used to have a NewOrleans-Dallas that was dropped due to poor yields and as
someone correctly reported, NewOrleans-Mexico City is also a mess.<<<

MSY is a low yield market. This has nothing to do with Southwest. How is it that SWA and TWA can peacefully coexist at STL if they are in living fear of Herb and his red-bellies?
MSY-DFW has too much competition as it is (AA, DL). MSY-MEX didn't work and will be cancelled. Airlines experiment with routes all the time.

>>>what TWA needs is to consolidate at STL,
continue nich flying to middle east and Africa from JFK...."<<<

Wrong. Their strength at STL is already there, they are running out of gate space and have held the Midwest market for many years. They will continue the niche flying to the Middle East, but also continue niche flying within the US. Why do you think TWA should do niche services abroad but cry foul when they attempt an FLL or SJU focus city. Its pretty much the same idea, no?

>>>.... and start turning profits.<<<

:D   Folks I think we have a winner. Your solution for their financial troubles is to turn profits. Hmm...wonder if Compton's thought of that one yet? What do you think TWA is trying to do?

>>>Buying
150 A318s and 100 717s made TWA the laughingstock of the industry. Thankfully that
was Compton's predecesor who can only do damage from the chairman's office now.<<<

More chaff. The acquistion of new aircraft is one of the things keeping TWA alive right now. Think of the reduced operating costs, lower maintenace costs, lower fuel costs.
The 717 is a perfect substitute for ancient DC9's on the regional runs, and when TWA start getting the A318's point-to-point niche flying will take on a whole new meaning.
The new MD83's are also helping out.

-----------------

Oh NeedsHelp, there is so much more I want to say to you and you have posted so much innacurate garbage about Big Red that you have made me mad  

Instead of criticizing, why not make some suggestions about how TWA could improve itself for the future? Everybody is an armchair CEO.

TWA Employees are fighting the good fight to keep the airline alive and all you can do is sling mud. The Focus Cities (more point to point) are an excellent idea that has paid off for the airline. I don't know where you are getting your incorrect information, but you could use a reality check!

TWFirst
Topic Author

Tue May 02, 2000 3:58 am

CHIEFTAIN: YOU'RE MY HERO!!!! I savored every word of your last posting. Great job... Agreed with every single word. Anyway, I think we both have a little more insight and understanding into TWA's situation than the kid you just put in his place. As you probably know, TWA's 1Q results showed a $44 million increase in operating revenues over 1Q 99, and they would've posted a $30 million net profit for the quarter if fuel prices hadn't soared, despite additional cost increases for leases and labor. We all know what Icahn did to the airline (stole all the equity) and that they're still paying him off until 2002. After that, management's efforts in adjusting route structure and fleet renewal (with associated cost savings) are going to pay off big time. In the meantime, I believe they need to continue differentiating themselves through excellent service and reliability, and build on their brand equity.

DL WIDGET HEAD

Tue May 02, 2000 7:25 am

Way to go Chieftan. I believe TWA's on the verge of a mega come back. Keep up the positive attitude!

AA-SAN

Tue May 02, 2000 8:58 am

Although I am in no way agreeing with what TWAneedsHELP had to say (he did get a little worked up to say the least) let's not play the "well he's a kid, so he donsn't know crap" game. You guys all seem to have enough knowledge to prove what he said wrong without stooping that low. In fact... I'm not sure what's worse... posting opinions that have very little factual support or taking cheap shots at people. Let's just keep things clean. Or are we "teenagers" going to have to start the "well he's just an old stubborn mule that enjoyed the past so much that he refuses to accept what's going on today" game???

Tue May 02, 2000 9:19 am

You guys are very funny. Yes, I am a teenager, but thank you AA-SAN, that shouldn't preclude me from anything. Also if you are discounting my observations because I am a bit younger than you folks, than you are denying youself the very reason you are a member of this forum, the free give and take of ideas, concepts and information.
With that said, now I take umbrage with your suggestions that I am posting opinions with very little fact. I am not. I challenge all of you to find an error on my part in my posts. Let me assure you however, that I love TWA just as much as anyone here and it is for that reason that I have spent considerable time and effort posting these criticisms so that they come to light. TWA is far from a stellar performer and what it needs is smart thought and ideas. Remaining silent will not make TWA great again. I hope you all understand that. As for my lack of education, there is none. I am a student at Cornell University studying business and aviation. I believe I know as much about TWA as anyone here, and I am expressing my sincere opinions, nothing else. Thank your for being understanding and hopefully we all can all come together and urge changes to an airline we all dearly love, Big Red.

PS As for being "worked up", AA-SAN, I believe you made a mistake. If you look at Chieftan's post, please find the words, "you have made me mad" with an angry face next to it. I'm calm.

Thank you and good day

RE: NeedsHelp

Tue May 02, 2000 9:25 am

No hard feelings then  

AA-SAN

Tue May 02, 2000 9:46 am

Trust me... being worked up isn't a bad thing. It's half the fun at this post. And you wouldn't have responded to everyone's criticism if you weren't worked up now would have you? Keep standing up for what you believe, cause the world wouldn't be very much fun if we all agreed would it? I know that I got a little worked up when I read the teenager comment... and I'm not the least bit ashamed.

B777UA

Tue May 02, 2000 11:00 am

I have an E mail letter stating that TWA is Going to be Starting Service in Melborne Florida starting in the fall does anyone have any other info on this?

Tue May 02, 2000 11:10 am

There is a excellent article about TWA being courted by the Melbourne,Fl airport authority. They were offering many incentives that were hard to pass-up, such as free rent, free baggage handling, low or no landing fees at all, etc... MLB was offering this service to any airline that would serve MLB from a city not already served, at with at least 3 flights a day. I guess TW took them up on it. P.S. this article was in Air Transport World magazine last month....

CVG777

TWA In Key West?

Tue May 02, 2000 11:29 am

Since when did TWA connection begin flights to Key West? I live down here and haven't once seen an aircraft in TWA colors fly overhead. The only airline that I know of that flies to Key West from FLL is Gulfstream International, and both Continental and United already codeshare with them. Could they be codesharing with another airline or am I just mistaken?

TWFirst
Topic Author

RE: TWAneedsHELP

Tue May 02, 2000 11:36 am

OK, OK TWAneedsHELP, we'll be nice. And of course, you ARE entitled to your opinions, but maybe you should consider the tone and phrasing of your postings. I think you would be taken more seriously if you didn't take such an authoritarian position. I believe some of what you say has merit. But how about being a little more open to the idea that TWA's management isn't a bunch of idiots and there's actually a method to the madness? Although implied, you haven't described what you believe to be the measures by which TWA's performance should be judged... and before you say those should be obvious, think carefully about all the variables to running an airline in the industry's current competitive environment, and further consider the sad behind-the-scenes history of "Big Red" (now Big Red, Gold & Blue?? ) Looking at TWA over the last 2-3 years in particular, I believe there's ample evidence of a logical strategy and that the steps to recovery have been taken.

And no, I'm not an old geezer, unless you consider 30 old. But I've also studied TWA and the industry for quite awhile, have an MBA, covered TWA as a reporter in St. Louis, have good friends who work for the airline, and will be at Aviators Elite level for 2000 very shortly. So let's agree to disagree.

TWFirst
Topic Author

Tue May 02, 2000 11:41 am

CVG777: TWA code shares with Gulfstream as well. Offered as "Trans World Connection" service. They just started in April.

Laserjet

Tue May 02, 2000 4:42 pm

What is a focus city? Is it like a hub?