pdxtriple7

Passengers On Wrong Flights

Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:54 am

I've never really taken the pre-departure announcement about making sure you are on the correct flight seriously. I figure that the gate agents would catch the problem before a passenger boarded the plane, but recently I've been proved wrong.

On my recent AA MD80 SFO-DFW flight, a couple and their two young twins boarded our flight, causing a problem as passengers were already sitting in their seats. After about 15 minutes of trying to figure out what to do, it turns out that the family had mistakenly got on the earlier SFO-DFW flight (my flight) instead of their own flight.

I find it really hard to believe that this could actually happen, but it did. That leads to my burning question: Does this problem happen often, and how does it happen? I was under the impression that the machines that boarding passes are put into would notice this.

AeroWesty

RE: Passengers On Wrong Flights

Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:03 am

Over the years there have been reports of passengers flying NZ1 from LHR to LAX who've reboarded for Auckland when they've a connection to Oakland, since the two are pronounced similarly. That's an extreme example, but it does happen.
International Homo of Mystery

777boy

Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:13 am

Just after the Reno Air acquisition, when AA still had a lot of flights from SJC to other west coast destinations, someone on my flight had an interersting experience. She (an older lady) had boarded my flight from SAN-SJC, then got off and tried to find the connection to Portland. The gate agent pointed her to the PDX flight, but the woman quickly pointed out that she was headed to Portland, Maine and not Oregon. Appearently, she was supposed to fly SAN-ORD-Portland, Maine but had been given boarding passes to Portland Oregon. She was quickly rerouted SJC-ORD-Portland, MA.

Another funny city confusion happened to my Mom. She was going to Microsoft's campus in Redmond, Washington for a conference. Her secretary booked her into Redmond aiport on United Express from SFO. Howeverk, when I was looking at another reservation on UA's website, I found that she was booked to fly to Redmond, OR. Redmond, WA does not have a commercial aiport, so I had her rebooked into SeaTac.

-Matt

sw733

Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:14 am

A couple times I have been waiting to board a Southwest flight and a gate agent has had to go down to the aircraft or run down the jetway to catch someone who had gotten on the wrong plane. So, considering that Southwest doesn't have assigned seating, it might even be possible to get away with it there. Maybe even more likely back before they had computers at all the gates and they simply used those plastic A, B, C cards and a paper boarding pass.

Lufthansa

Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:16 am

I heard of several.

Once, due to tech problems at the Tom Bradley Int terminal at LAX, good old Qantas boarded a chinese woman on a flight to Melbourne. About an 2 hrs before melbourne, the daylight came through the windows and the woman, who had been asleep since shortly after departure from LAX, was woke for breakfast.... only to discover she was suppose to be on the Cathay Pacific flight to Hong Kong that left at the gate next door! The jumped up in a panic when she was the map showing MEL approaching..... the boarding card readers were not working at that caused the whole mix up.

Another I heard of was wealthy old scottish man who apparently liked a good drink.... and was suppose to get on a BA shuttle flight to Glasgow and woke up in Kuala Lumpur..... This one seems harder to believe....

The last thing I heard of like that was a situation where a young London couple decided to go to sydney for their honeymoon.... and found some very cheap seats on Air Canada, via an internet travel agency. Well it turns out they purchased tickets to some dinky little town in Canada that was also called Sydney...hardly the Superpower of the south they were intending.... derrr why anybody thinks they can fly to Sydney for $300 bucks? I just hope they didn't try sun baking!

OPNLguy

Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:19 am

The old DEN Stapleton had some odd gate arrangements, and I once boarded my DEN-IAH flight and sat down and got all settled in. The F/A welcomed everyone aboard the continuation of flight such-and-such to PDX, whereupon I realized that I was onboard the wrong flight and beat feet off the aircraft. Correct fligght was at an adjacent gate, so I made it, but I swore to never to make that mistake again...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

pdxtriple7

Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:23 am

Good stories. Apparently it does happen once in a while. It would be terrible if the flight actually left, like the Chinese woman's story. I guess it'd be one big adventure, with a pissed off passenger!

soups

Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:23 am

i flew ACC-JFK then due to baggae delays i had to run to AA counters when i got there i checked in then the lady said here is your boarding pass to SFO i replied hold on im not going to SFO im going to LAX.....
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra

malaysia

Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:29 am

I was once given the wrong boarding pass on WN. I just wanted to non-rev LAS-PHX and I just got a group boarding pass quickly before boarding then while in line, I looked at my pass and I read LAS-TUL

oh gee and actually they had changed the gate for PHX, but she thought I was going on this one so she just failed to check my flight coupon right and just gave me the LAS-TUL and I was about to get on... so glad I realized and did not end up in TUL. They had not updated the screen at the gate.
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

dutchjet

Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:33 am

I will admit it, once, many years ago, I and several co-workers were rushing to catch the LGA-BOS shuttle. We were so focused on catching the Shuttle that we got on the aircraft that was going to DCA - the F/As must have made several announcements that the flight was the DC shuttle, but my group of 6 was so busy talking and preparing for this last minute meeting in BOS that we were not paying attenton. About half was through the flight, the person by the window seat suddenly yelled out "Holy sh-t, why are we flying south?" Of course, we thought that she was crazy but we, in fact, were flying south and moments later the captain announced that our flying time to DCA would be XX minutes. To put it mildly, the 6 of us did feel rather stupid.

cyberual

Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:37 am

it does happen sometimes here at UA. We have people going to GUA board the SAL flight. We also have people boarding the wrong flight b/c of gate change etc. The reason it happen I could only think of the gate agent did not use the gate reader, but instead use manual boarding. That's why its important to pay attention to watch the boarding screen and watch for seat dupes.

Also, I've heard of psgr getting the wrong b/p from the check in counter. This happens when you share a printer w/another agent at the counter.

planemannyc

Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:39 am

One of uncle's friends studied in Russia back in the 70's. He boarded an Aeroflot flight to Dhaka, Bangladesh -- going home on his summer break. He was apparently a little surprised to see no other Bangladeshis on his flight. I guess he also found it strange that the flight made a stop in Algiers. Anyway, he ended up in Dakar, Senegal. Took him a week to actually make it back to Moscow and then on to Dhaka  Wink Strange, but true. I guess nowadays, that type of mistake is much more uncommon with computerized boarding.

Best

Wasim / Planemannyc

satx

Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:43 am

Quoting PDXtriple7 (Reply 6):
I guess it'd be one big adventure, with a pissed off passenger!

If I was ever lazy enough to get on the wrong plane going to the wrong destination then I would feel embarrassed at myself, not pissed at the airline. What kind of moron would draw attention to the fact that the were so ignorant that they managed to get themselves on the wrong plane? Blame it on the airline only if they got the gate information wrong, the boarding pass wrong, and listed the incorrect destination on the plane. Otherwise, blame yourself for being stupid.
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

jetdeltamsy

Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:49 am

oh yea, it happens. and once in a while a passenger will make it onto a flight going to a different city...sometimes a completely different part of the country. since the boarding process has become more automated, it happens less freuqently than it used to (it never happened very often, but now even less).

of course when it happens, the company is 100% responsible for getting the customer to the right city ASAP....with lots of apologies and lots of free tickets (i imagine!!)

always rattles me a little bit. who is paying attention at the gate???

[Edited 2005-07-17 02:50:20]
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

ltbewr

Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:55 am

I would think that last minute gate changes, where info on the destination of the flight at the gate wasn't changed could cause some confusion, along with rushing by gate agents to get a flight out on time. Still, with today's security needs, including requirements of matching of luggage and pax especially on international flights, would make it an absolute need to make sure that only the right pax for a given flight board. Of course, some people are complete idiots, with no knowlege of geography or common sense.

rossbaku

Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:01 am

I watched an old episode of Airport on UKTV People and on Jeremy Spake's SU plane to Moscow, a woman had managed to board the plane...thinking it was going to CDG! She had remained on the flight right up until pushback, only realising she was on the wrong flight when the F/A's came over the tannoy in Russian!

Jeremy being Jeremy managed to get the problem sorted and the woman offloaded...

Just goes to show how much effort went into checking tickets back then.

PiedmontINT

Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:20 am

Quoting Cyberual (Reply 10):
Also, I've heard of psgr getting the wrong b/p from the check in counter. This happens when you share a printer w/another agent at the counter.

This happened to me before actually.. I was flying from MCI and the lines were ridiculously long. I did the self check in and it didn't accept my credit card or my FF card for some reason and the agent had to check me in. Well when as my boarding card was printing she disappeared and the agent next to her gave me my card. While walking to the gate, I pulled it out to remind myself which gate it was and upon doing that I noticed that the destination was DCA and not GSO!

Needless to say, I sprinted back to the counter and got it straightened out. Good thing I have a bad short term memory or else it may have turned ugly...

[Edited 2005-07-17 03:22:42]

mandala499

Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:58 am

It happens "regularly" in Indonesia. My wife had a pax missing for a 732 flight who turned up at another 732 of another airline... It didn't help when her plane was from her company's subsidiary... hence the pax said they looked for the airline but couldn't find it so boarded the one they knew... LOL... It happens bothways... That's what you get when you don't have airbridges...

mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

BryanG

Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:21 pm

Don't the FAs to a headcount before pushback, to make sure the number of pax onboard matches the final manifest? That ought to detect any extra pax onboard, and alert the crew that something is wrong (unless the misguided pax are actually added to the manifest somehow).

Although, in a hurry, things might get overlooked (...thinking back to Helen Hayes' character in "Airport." LOL.)

aussieindc

Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:34 pm

Here's another one for you.

When I was with BA in London, an Indian lady was booked to GOA. Only problem was that when she flew with us, she ended up in Genoa (GOA) Italy instead of the city of GOA in India.

Inadvertantly, her travel agent booked her on the wrong flight and she was brought back to London. I'd hate to be that agent when she got back.

mikesairways

Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:20 pm

When I used to work for Southwest (at SJC) , I had a guy come down to baggage claim screaming up a storm that we lost his bags. Upon checking his claim check I noticed his bags were check to LAX from SEA. Upon which he turned furiously red and screamed even louder (This isn't LAX???) Seems the poor ignorant fool got off the plane when he shouldn't have - too bad it was a Friday night and everythign to LAX was oversold that night.

Whats better is he thought he should have been compensated since we "never told him the flight was stopping in SJC first"
The red zone is for the immediate loading and unloading of passengers only, there is no stopping in the white zone...(Ai

Bridogger6

Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:23 pm

Quoting BryanG (Reply 18):
Don't the FAs to a headcount before pushback, to make sure the number of pax onboard matches the final manifest? That ought to detect any extra pax onboard, and alert the crew that something is wrong (unless the misguided pax are actually added to the manifest somehow).

Hahaha that's a good one, I think the flight attendant head count is accurate to a tee maybe one in ten times, at the most! It really is the gate agent's responsibility to find out who is on board and who is not. The flight attendants always verify their count with us, it never matches but we just agree with them anyway rather than holding up the plane because they can't count.

It's our responsibility to check and make sure everyone is on board and on board the right flight. The other day I was getting a bit lackadaisical in boarding and a group of four going to Atlanta handed me their boarding passes. I ripped them and sent them down the jetway then completely stopped myself, whoops what are THEY thinking. I just called their names and they came up angry because this plane was going to Oakland and not Atlanta. They came up screaming asking why the plane wasn't going to Atlanta, their flight wasn't for three more hours... I am amazed that FOUR people could make that mistake, travelling together or not.

Another thing we have to watch for is our dual ops. Many times we have two flights leaving to LAS or LAX or sometimes SAN at the exact same time and getting in at the same time, people will always get confused. Our operations people try to put the gates for these flights close together but unfortunately it doesn't always work out. If someone shows up at the wrong gate, and the other one is far away, we can't just stick them on the new flight in many cases for a number of reasons. One might be that the flight is full, or another might be that they've already checked bags. These passengers end up very angry when they find out they're at the wrong gate. We ALWAYS make plenty of announcements though, telling people to verify their flight numbers.

So yes, it happens. Does it happen often? No.

FLY2LIM

Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:33 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 1):
Over the years there have been reports of passengers flying NZ1 from LHR to LAX who've reboarded for Auckland when they've a connection to Oakland, since the two are pronounced similarly. That's an extreme example, but it does happen.

I clearly remember that back when World Airways was in existence as a regular carrier, with a base at Oakland Airport, an unaccompanied minor was in LAX waiting for a fly to Oakland, but boarded a flight to Auckland instead. This was an embarrassment to World in many respects, not the least of which was that no one had paid any attention to the boy.
This is what I remember about a story that must have happened about 20 years ago.
FLY2LIM
Faucett. La primera linea aerea del Peru.

AR1300

Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:33 pm

I have a friend who took the wrong AA flight at LGA.Instead of going to ORD, he ended up in MIA.He mistaked the gates, the gate right next to his was going to MIA, and he went to that one.I guess that they didn't even see at the boarding pass.
And mistakes do happen.One of the times that I flew UA, I was going to LAX from ORD.At the gate counter, when I gave my ticket to the lady, instead of getting my boarding pass tab, I was given someone else's that was going to LAS.
I kept it, it is funny.

Mike
You are now free to move about the cabin

IslipWN

Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:45 pm

When I was waiting in the F terminal at PHL, everysingle person going to State College boarded the plane going to Salisbury, IIRC. It was actaully quite funny! During my 4 hour wait in the F terminal, I watched a lot of people walking to the wrong airplane.

planemannyc

Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:47 pm

Here's the question: if a passenger gets on the wrong flight, say from LGA to DFW instead of DTW, flies to DFW, and is then sent directly to DTW, does he get the miles from LGA-DFW-DTW or is it just LGA-DTW?

Wink

Wasim / Planemannyc

adam

Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:15 pm

who've reboarded for Auckland when they've a connection to Oakland

Quoting FLY2LIM (Reply 22):
I clearly remember that back when World Airways was in existence as a regular carrier, with a base at Oakland Airport, an unaccompanied minor was in LAX waiting for a fly to Oakland, but boarded a flight to Auckland instead. This was an embarrassment to World in many respects, not the least of which was that no one had paid any attention to the boy. This is what I remember about a story that must have happened about 20 years ago.

This same thing happened in an episode of "Full House."
Texas: You'll come for the Alamo, You'll stay because you were wrongfully executed. - Conan O'Brian State Quarters

broncoguy

Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:30 pm

This has happened many times in FNT. DL uses one gate here and their early morning flights leave only fifteen minutes apart so there have been many times that pax will get all the way down the jetway just to be turned back by the FA cuz its not their flight. I guess this happens when they only have one person boarding two flights within ten minutes of each other

abbs380

Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:21 pm

Not exactly on topic, but close. It was 0500, I was standing in line at the ticket counter in GEG behind another guy. The agent at the front of the line didn't say anything but was at her position, so the guy in front of me went up and set his two bags down under the counter, then backed off. After 20-30 sec. the agent in the next position says "can I help the next person", so this guy goes over to check in with her, but left his bags where they were. In another minute or so, the agent in front of what is now -my- line, looked up at me, and I took that as an invitation to approach her. I showed her my id and told her I was going to ORD, She entered a few things in the computer and the printer started to spit out ORD bag tags. Meanwhile I was listening to what the guy next to me was saying, I forget where he was going, but it wasnt ORD. I told my agent those werent my bags (I had none to check) and that they belonged to him. She just said "OH" , ripped the tags off and handed me my bp. I hope he got his bags. As I said, it was 0500.

midex461

Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:36 pm

This has also happened on more than one occasion in PHX, particularly on YV. A few of their gates have more than one flight out at the same time. There's supposed to be a ramp agent at the bottom of the stairs, called "point". This persons job is to ask pax their destination, then point out the correct aircraft. This doesn't always work. We've had pax booked to FLG get on a plane to OMA.
I've also had this happen at jetway gates. I had one instance where I was working a flight to SAN, and this one female passenger was flying to DFW, and as it happened, her flight left out of the same gate later on. But she thought the flight that was there went to SAN first, then on to DFW.
Opinions and views expressed are MINE and do NOT represent the views of US Airways

HAWK21M

Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:58 pm

It happens at times out here.When the Gate Agent does not check the Boarding card & luckily the Pax realises that its the wrong flight during the Pre departure Announcements.
Then the Door opens & a Delay caused.The Embarrased pax walks down.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

jonty

Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:37 pm

I almost did once, coz at NCL there are no jettyway things and I was the first out of the terminal, I was flying on an air scandic flight but it was using a finnair 757, I walked out, looked around, saw one plane with no markings and 1 with finnair, and thaught to my self, well im definatly not going to finland so it must be this one, and my friends who came out after me followed me, until a gate agent person walked out the terminal behind us to ask us where we were going? I think the crew would have got a shock if I had randomly walked onto their plane when no passengers were due to board!

EK156

Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:50 pm

It used to happen before on EK that passengers who were flying to a certain destination would sleep throughout the flight and because sometimes the flight would be via another destination, the passenger would sleep throughout the landing, refueling and takeoff. For example, flights from DXB to the far east that go via BKK or other destinations. These flights usually takeoff at 2 or 3 am from DXB. Passengers usually sleep throughout the flight. Some of the passengers would be heading to BKK and end up sleeping throughout the landing, refuelling and takeoff and end up continuing onto the next destination.

This has caused the company to implement a rule that all passengers should be woken up during a connection flight to make sure that they are not supposed to disembark!

Then again wouldn't the pursur check all the passengers list to make sure that those who need to disembark have left the flight?

VEEREF

Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:00 pm

When I used to fly for NW Airlink in Detroit, a couple of times an unsuspecting DTW-MEM- Lafayette, Louisiana pax would see Lafayette on the departure board in DTW and head for that gate. The agent would accidentally take the MEM- Lafayette, LA ticket and send them out to the aircraft. Of course from DTW the flight goes to Lafayette, Indiana! Only once did it go unnoticed and they actually ended up there though.
Airplanes are cool. Aviation sucks.

a3xx900

Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:11 pm

Uhm quite nice and amusing stories here, but one question arises...

Who pays for the return ticket in such a case? Let's say for that Chinese woman ending up in MEL instead of Hong Kong.... Whose fault is it? The check-in agents' or the woman's? She obviously didn't listen to the announcements of the F/As and the check-in agents handed her out a wrong boarding pass....

So, could the airline charge the woman for a flight to her original destination? Or are the airlines 'ashamed' if something like that happens and keep it low and do pretty much everything so this incident won't go public.

it IS kinda a shame for the airline and the ground handling agents/airports, also due to security reasons...
Why is 10 afraid of 7? Because 7 8 9.

jacobin777

Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:23 pm

Quoting PDXtriple7 (Thread starter):
On my recent AA MD80 SFO-DFW flight,

I flew on that route just last night... AA

actually, there was a big mixup last night at DFW...as the gate C25 was still for Jax, yet the information at the gate/gate screen said Chicago, and with the delay and what not, many of the people who were going to ORD wound up standing in line only to find out that the plane was going off to JAX.

[Edited 2005-07-17 16:24:22]

[Edited 2005-07-17 16:25:01]
"Up the Irons!"

An225

Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:30 pm

When I worked for Arkia Israel Airlines in 1996 this company operated DHC-7's from TLV airport to transport passengers to ETH. These passengers came from Europe on a package tour to the resort city of Eilat. After landing in TLV they were transferred to the international terminal as transfer passengers and stayed there till the domestic flight.
Anyhow, on one occasion, when I was the ramp agent of one of these flights, we found onboard this DHC-7 two elderly female passengers that were suppose to take the TLV-JFK flight with Tower Air.
This problem was discovered while we did the headcount, and got a figure that wasn't what we expected. One of these elderly ladies asked the F/A how can such a small aircraft can fly to New-York, and that was how we found out the mistake, and a bus took them back to the terminal.
Such a problem could happen in this case since we used manual boarding passes, and after this embarrassment we changed to the regular one's

Uzi

FLY2LIM

Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:56 pm

Quoting Adam (Reply 26):
who've reboarded for Auckland when they've a connection to Oakland

Quoting FLY2LIM (Reply 22):
I clearly remember that back when World Airways was in existence as a regular carrier, with a base at Oakland Airport, an unaccompanied minor was in LAX waiting for a fly to Oakland, but boarded a flight to Auckland instead. This was an embarrassment to World in many respects, not the least of which was that no one had paid any attention to the boy. This is what I remember about a story that must have happened about 20 years ago.

I don't doubt it. But I believe World Airways (the regular carrier out of OAK) was around before Full House.
So far, no one seems to remember this episode. Was it all in my head???  Smile
FLY2LIM
Faucett. La primera linea aerea del Peru.

SA006

Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:07 am

Quoting An225 (Reply 36):
One of these elderly ladies asked the F/A how can such a small aircraft can fly to New-York, and that was how we found out the mistake, and a bus took them back to the terminal.

lmfao! That is funny. DHC-7ER

-SA006  wave 
Proudly South African

Gilligan

Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:20 am

Quoting SATX (Reply 12):
If I was ever lazy enough to get on the wrong plane going to the wrong destination then I would feel embarrassed at myself, not pissed at the airline. What kind of moron would draw attention to the fact that the were so ignorant that they managed to get themselves on the wrong plane?

It's always the airlines fault. I've seen this happen a few times. It especially happens on pad operations where you have a bus taking passengers out to the plane. On bad weather days things can get confusing and you end up with pax on the wrong plane. Most other times it was because the passenger had poor language skills and just misunderstood the gate agent. What's really funny is when a gate agent or a mechanic gets left on the plane when the door is closed and the jetway is pulled! lol Of course my family and I were going MIA to CLE one time and joined the other 151 passengers in standing up to deplane when the f/a announced that this was the flight to EWR and then quickly corrected himself to say CLE! lol

[Edited 2005-07-17 17:23:13]
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

YUL2010

Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:21 am

Yup, it happened to me. I'm a gate agent at AC, and 2 weeks ago, I was boarding a flight to Toronto. YUL-YYZ flights are really important to Air Canada, they HAVE to leave on-time. So I'm always rushed when I'm boarding these flight.

It was 6am, and I was working my 5th morning shift in a row, so I was really tired (I'm not trying to make any excuses...lol). Anyways, the flight that was leaving after my YYZ flight (at gate 8) was going to Pointe-a-Pitre, Guadeloupe (PTP). In two words, I boarded and sent a pax to YYZ instead of PTP.
Yup, it's my fault. I admitt it. In YUL, we punch in the seat number and the name of the pax appears. Basically, the first thing you do is check the name on the boardning pass, and the name which appreared on the computer screen. They obviously have to match.

Maybe I was too tired that morning, but I unfortunately let someone pass that morning. It cost AC around 3000$ my manager told me, cuz AC had no interline with another company from YYZ to PTP and they had to buy a full fare ticket with another airline.

But seriously, my annoucements were soooo clear. "Welcome to flight AC481 to TORONTO..." and "This is a priority boarding call for AC 481 to TORONTO".
Not to mention the flight attendants and their numerous annoucements... It astonishes me how some passengers leave the brains behind at home when travelling.
YUL2010
"Hotel November Oscar clear to land runway 24L"

sfilipowicz

Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:14 am

Many years ago I was on a flight from Amsterdam to London, as the plane just started it's decend, the pilot came on the PA system with the weather report for London. This bussinesman 2 rows behind me said 'LONDON?!?! I have to be in Paris!!'

On while still at the gate the pilot said the flight time to London would take xx minutes he thought he was joking, because there was this French thing going on in London (can't remember what).

I thought it was very funny, the shock on his face!

I have no idea how that was possible though.

Once I was flying back from London to Amsterdam, and the trains in the UK where running very late and cancelled train services etc.. At one train station somebody called the airport saying that I was on my way. I didn't have to checking I walked (ran) straight to the gate and straight into the aircraft where everyone was wainting for me. Nobody checked my ticket/boardingpass so I could have got on the wrong flight.

sw733

Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:37 am

Quoting FLY2LIM (Reply 37):

I don't doubt it. But I believe World Airways (the regular carrier out of OAK) was around before Full House.
So far, no one seems to remember this episode. Was it all in my head???
FLY2LIM

I remember that one...well, kind of, since I was about 10 when I saw it, but I certainly remember an episode (when I was 10 I watched Full House, go ahead, laugh it up  Wink ) where they were on a plane that went very far away to a very wrong city. Didn't know it was the Oakland/Auckland thing, but yeah.

RyanAFAMSP

Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:44 am

When I was with United, I remember working a full 757 ORD-IND. It was the last flight of the night, with about an 11:45pm local time arrival, of course just a 30 minute hop over from ORD. When we were deplaning, a FREAKED OUT looking 15 year old boy came up to me and said, "why aren't we in NEW YORK." It turns out his parents were employees, and he was traveling on an employee pass. He must have misread the sign or gone to the wrong gate. This was before 9/11. So he showed up, showed his pass, and probably said he wanted to get on the airplane, even though he wasn't put on the standby list by his parents. The agents were busy as we were in an oversale situation. Likely they just threw him on the list. Then, in the last minute before departure, the agent brought down all the standbys when we did an open seat count. We had enough empties to get to his seniority range, and just threw him on, grabbing his pass as we closed the door. He then likely didn't listen to any announcements, as we did multiple destination checks and welcome announcements to IND.

We brought him down to baggage service, and the flight attendants and ground crew used his cellphone, called his mom, got the credit card authorization, and got him a place to stay for the short night in some airport hotel (the crew just held our van, and once he was on his way we went to our downtown hotel as we had a long layover). CS had him back on the 6am ORD departure.

After 9/11 this would be a lot less likely, as all security procedures are more orthodox, even with employees. But I can see how mistakes happen

Birdwatching

Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:05 am

I wonder why noone has brought up the movie Home Alone 2 yet...

Another question, and again, I wonder why nobody has brought it up yet:

Could you try and get on a wrong plane on purpose? Given you don't have an important appointment or anything, just to see if it works, and then be re-booked from your wrong destination to the other one. Just for flyings sake. Would that work?
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

leisurejet

Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:13 am

Last week and not even a week after the occurrences on 07/07, I was on a Ryanair flight from London Stansted to Frankfurt Hahn which boarded at the same gate (therefore no wonder some confusion) as a delayed easyJet flight which was heading to Ibiza...

When we were all on board (the Ryanair flight) and a head count done, the cabin crew first asked if there were any passengers going to Ibiza with easyJet, as if so they were on the wrong aircraft !!!

They then called for specific passengers by name and to make themselves know as they were on the wrong aircraft... Yet, as all this was happening, the easyJet aircraft was being pushed away from the gate with all doors closed in preparation for take off...

No one appeared to identify themselves, nor get off and we then headed off on our merry way to Frankfurt... so who was confused then !!!???

GMUAirbusA320

Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:37 am

When I used to work the gate, I did send someone to LGB instead of FLL. Not a smart thing to do, but it happened. We did make several announcements regarding the flight's destination. About 15 mins after the flight was airborne, we were notified by the FO that someone to FLL was on board. There is some burden on the PAX to get onboard the right flight. I'll take the other part of credit on that one!!  Smile

Cheers,
GMUAirbusA320

pdxtriple7

Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:59 am

For those of you that accidently put a passenger on the wrong flight, were there any reprecussions? I do understand that most of the burden is/ should be put on the passenger for most events.

oly720man

Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:40 am

A few years a woman wanted a Manx Airlines flight out of Shannon to Manchester, I think, but after asking at SNN where to go was directed to the flight to Minsk. Of course she ended up there with no passport. I think Lufthansa kindly flew her back to Manchester.
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

wdleiser

Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:01 am

One time when I was 9 flying UM on UAL, I had just arrived in ORD from IAH and was heading to Newark. Well the gate assignment on the paper information slip my escort had was wrong. The Newark flight had switched to a different gate. I saw Boston up on the info screen but didn't think anything about it figuring the escort lady was bright enough to figure it out. Well she takes me up to the counter, they check me in and bring me to the jetway where I was about to be escorted, and then I was like.... "so this is going to Newark correct". The gate agent was obviously surprised at my wise ass crack for being only 9 years old and was like son we know where your going and your on the correct flight. I merely pointed to my boarding pass which clearly stated Newark/KEWR. I wound up missing my EWR flight... which had departed a long time earlier than the Boston flight. The gate agent then began to appologize and the escort lady ... well she was a moron and just leave it at that. I merely demanded my free McDonalds. (UAL would give UM's food vouchers if a flight was delayed or something messed up. I got them no matter what cuz i was a really cute adorable kid. Unfortunately I have since lost that charm) I was then rushed to the UM room, where they put me on the next available flight to EWR which was on COA. Boy did that flight suck. I did have the first row in Eco, but a middle seat and was next to a guy who reaked on Menthol Cigarettes and another guy who smelled like he took a shit and forgot to wipe. So... Cigapoo was the smell i had to endure.

Anyways.... I myself have never done that before boarding the wrong flight.
Now in 3rd grade my grandparents and I were going to Costa Rica. We were to fly Taca into Belize City, pick up some passengers and drop others off then onto San Salvadore. After that we change planes and head to San Jose. Me... thinking San Jose California. So when we landed in San Salvadore... I was like gramma granpa heres our flight. It was a United 767 to San Jose California. I was so excited because I loved (and still do love) wide bodies. They had to go and ruin the excitement by telling me we were going to a different San Jose. Lacsa A320 or A321... it was really nice actually I must say.