FlyingTexan
Topic Author

What’s The Deal With That New ATC TV Commercial?

Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:25 am

There is a new TV ad by the Air Traffic Control Association.

Not that I don’t like it. Every organization needs to spread the word. But isn’t spending $$$ on TV ad space a bit expensive?

Thoughts? Comments?
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

stirling

RE: What’s The Deal With That New ATC TV Commercial?

Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:46 am

It could be a PSA; Public Service Announcement.

[Edited 2005-07-17 22:46:36]
Delete this User

TripleDelta
Crew

RE: What's The Deal With That New ATC TV Co

Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:50 am

Personally, I see the use in this type of advertising in general - many people have no idea what ATC is, or they think of it as a stereotype aerodrome tower. By rolling ads on TV, people can see that a service such as ATC exists in the first place - and then you can draw some new, fresh talent that is almost desperately needed (in today's skies). But then again, I didn't see that ad, so I'm just hinting...

Also, these ads (and short documentaries such as the ones on the Discovery Channel) may serve a different purpose as well - when something happens in the skies, there's a lot of finger pointing around by people who have no knowledge of the finer workings of air transportation, the Who?, Why?, When? and What the...? Big grin By hinting at the complexity of the system, one may show that things are not as simple as they seem from the outside.

To illustrate: just a few days ago, there was a bombastic article in the newspapers here: "Drama in the skies - near collision over Croatia!", "Almost a collision!" and the like - generally, something that'll get your attention pretty quickly.

Anyway, the article stated that an OU aircraft had a "hair-raising, almost deadly pass" with a JP aircraft, with only 300 m (1000 ft) between the two...  irked ... It's not a significant issue, but the public gets a crooked image of aviation - and the public is the driving force of a country...
No plane, no gain.

SPREE34

Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:50 am

I haven't seen it yet. Where was it playing?
Probably because the FAA and National Air Traffic Controllers Association (NATCA the ATC union) are in contract negotiations this year and it's expected to get heated. FAA wants to privatize as much as possible, even though the DOT Inspector General has shown it cost more than running with the present government employees. I guess Ms. Blakey doesn't want to be confused by the facts.
Anyone who flies may want to watch how this goes. Soon we may be adding Air Navigation charges to the list of ticket taxes.
I don't understand everything I don't know about this.

m404

Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:03 am

Wonder if it had anything to do with recent accusations of overtime paddding by union supervisors in shift planning?
Less sarcasm and more thought equal better understanding

FlyingTexan
Topic Author

Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:04 am

Quoting SPREE34 (Reply 3):
Where was it playing?

CNN, weekdays. (not CNN HN, the regular one)
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

SPREE34

Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:15 am

M404...."Wonder if it had anything to do with recent accusations of overtime paddding by union supervisors in shift planning?"

The Union does not have supervisors. The agency (FAA) has supervisors. Overtime cannot be assigned by a Union Member or Official. That's an assignment of work. Only an FAA supervisor or other management official can assign overtime. That's assuming they know how to operate a telephone or plan a schedule.
I don't understand everything I don't know about this.

m404

Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:32 am

SPREE34

That's what I thought. Talk about your Fox in the Henhouse. But the press reports made it sound like it was a local agreement. In our unions case it's done all the time but staffing has to meet requirements drawn up by management. A real thankless job. Can you illuminate the incident? Which city was it - Kennedy?
Less sarcasm and more thought equal better understanding

echster

Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:33 am

The OT case was New York TRACON (N90). The report was a total hatchet job courtesy of the FAA. All of this acrimony between ATC and the FAA is posturing for a new contract. I don't think any of it has to do with contracting out more towers. I think the FAA Administrator has told Congress there is no intention of contracting more towers. Anyways, expect to hear much more on the contract negotiations in the near future. Also, the ad was paid by the ATC's PAC, not dues money.