Logging PIC Time!

Fri Apr 28, 2000 3:40 pm

hello. i am working on my IFR rating, and have been doing simulated time with friend pilots.

from what i understand, i can fly under the "hood" and log it as PIC. and my safety pilot can also log it as PIC, as long as it is a qualifed pilot. can both pilots log the time as PIC? thanks
pat

RE: Logging PIC Time!

Fri Apr 28, 2000 10:29 pm

Clouds Rest: Logging PIC Time: FAR 61.51(e) explains logging PIC time. In your situation, I take it that both you and your safety pilot hold at least a private pilot certificate and your simulated instrument time is in an airplane. Accordingly, only the sole manipulator of the controls may log pilot-in-command time. If your safety pilot is your instructor, giving you dual the instructor may also log the flight as pilot-in-command. Any time, as a certificated pilot and rated for the aircraft you fly (single, multi etc.) and you are the sole manipulator of the controls, you may log that flight as PIC. CFI who are giving dual to a certificated pilot or student pilot may also log the flight as PIC even if he never touches the controls. A person who is not a certificated pilot, re: students pilots, can not log PIC time as the sole manipulator of the controls but log their flights as solo time (when alone) and dual when with their instructor.

RE: Logging PIC Time!

Sat Apr 29, 2000 12:18 am

The fella under the hood would log the PIC as the sole manupulator of the flight controls. The safety pilot can log SIC, as this is the only occassion under whick a second crew member is required on a single pilot airplane.

to make things legal have him sign your logbook like your instrucot does, just have him put "safety pilot" and his pilot certificate number.