N725RW
Topic Author

AA & The Airports

Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:36 pm

Question: I fly out of SFO often and it has the "old" AA style back drop and it seems that certain gates at DFW also have the "old" (red, white & blue strip) as opposed to the nice metallic silver & blues at other airports. Was AA remodeling before it got into trouble?

miaskies

RE: AA & The Airports

Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:18 pm

Although an important city, SFO is not an AA Hub as suppose to DFW or say MIA.

I recently was in both DFW and SFO and noticed the older interiors, although some parts of DFW I saw have "newer style" gate areas.

Now in my hometown of MIA, the AA World Gateway terminal has for the most part and in most areas the new style and it does look amazing.

SJU for example, another important AA Caribbean Hub has the older terminal interior as well.
Nothing better than making love at 35K Feet!

qqflyboy

Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:59 am

I'm glad you brought up SFO and AA, as I have been wondering what the latest plans are. When I was based there with AA, at the time, it was the plan AA would move to the old international terminal once remodeling was finished. I know even then there was a squabble between AA, the airport and UA with the plan. Where does that stand? AA doesn't need any more space at SFO as best I know, but the terminal is in serious need of a makeover... even fresh paint and new carpet would make a tremendous difference.

I was there a few months ago and was pleased to see the new security entrance and food court... both much needed changes for AA's gates. With the investment AA has put into the Admiral's Club and Executive Conference area, I doubt now AA will leave that concourse. Anybody have more details?
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

AAR90

Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:30 am

Quoting QQflyboy (Reply 2):
I doubt now AA will leave that concourse. Anybody have more details?

Moving to the "new" terminal was never a serious consideration for AA. SFO wanted significantly higher rent while offering no "incentives."
*NO CARRIER* -- A Naval Aviator's worst nightmare!

kimmykun

Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:56 am

Quoting MIASkies (Reply 1):
SJU for example, another important AA Caribbean Hub has the older terminal interior as well.

AA's concourses also look rather worn and outdated compared to the other concourses in the airport. The Eagle gates are probably the most modern-looking, but horribly cramped.

N725RW
Topic Author

Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:19 am

The AA terminal @ SFO is crAAppy! The admirals club is a joke (I sneak in all the time, would be VERY disappointed if I had paid for it), the gate area is just old and looks run down (reminds me of the People Express at EWR back in the 80's). I hope AA can upgrade the area soon, make it at least worth the fare!

I do enjoy flying AA, just wish they would improve on the airport experience.

ckfred

Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:27 am

At ORD, Concourse G, the Eagle concourse, was renovated in 1999 and 2000. It's a very modern looking facility.

H, K, and L had makeovers in the late 90s, so they still look fairly good, although the seats are getting a little worn.

The ticketing and baggage claim are getting complete makeovers, courtesy of the terminal renovation project. The front walls of Terminals 2 and 3 are being removed and rebuilt 20 feet closer to the roadways, and new canopies that extend over the first 2 lanes are going up. So, besides there being more space, the floors, walls, ceiling, and lighting are being done over.