ZakHH
Topic Author

LH "biggest Airline Worldwide"

Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:49 pm

Nb: "biggest" - not "greatest" etc...  Wink

Seriously, LH claims #1 with over 34 Mio. passengers worldwide in 2004 (domestic flights not counted). I wonder who is #2, #3 etc. Has any1 got some figures at hand?

Cheers
Zak
Tired of a.net? Join a friendly aviation community!

DAL767400ER

RE: LH "biggest Airline Worldwide"

Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:02 am

While I don't have any figures, I'd be very sure that BA is #2, as they (for years if not decades) claimed to be the world's largest international airline. #3 I'd suppose AF/KLM. Oh yeah, and congrats to LH for taking that title from the Brits Big grin .

flyinTLow

Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:07 am

Does LH just claim it, or was this title actually awarded to them?

But congrats to LH!

Cheers,

Thilo
- When dreams take flight, follow them -

ZakHH
Topic Author

Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:12 am

@767er: KLM/AF is whom I would expect to be close, too. But does BA really have that much passengers anymore? Anyway, as I understood, LH has "defended" this title, so they should have been #1 at least since last year.

@Thilo: I don't think that there such as an "official title". But these figures should be verified, so I guess one can trust them.

Btw, I read the news here (German news site n-tv.de), did not find any statement on LH's own page.

Edit: the article itself says they are #1 for 4 years now... should have read it properly...  blush 

[Edited 2005-07-22 17:17:14]

Udo

Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:26 am

Counting only international passengers is misleading as it totally leaves out the American carriers' massive (and natural) domestic operations. Based in the middle of the EU with many tiny countries close by, it's quite easy to gain a lot of international traffic.

That's like comparing Southwest to SIA and awarding the former a title for being the "greater" domestic airline.  Yeah sure

Regards
Udo
Me & You & a Plane Named Blue...

flyinTLow

Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:26 am

Ok, found the numbers for 2003 here (sorry, that it's only a sample, not the official report, but it's the best i could do)

According to that, LH is the winner with 30 Mio. followed by BA with 27, AF with 25, KLM with 18 and then AA with 16.

Sorry, couldn't find anything more up to date.

Cheers,
Thilo

mrniji

Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:30 am

The question is how to count:

- Number of cities served
- capacity offered
- number of a/c
- number of pax carried etc etc
- revenue
- profit
- etc

It is all matter of a good PR machine to interpret these numbers (LHs PR is definitely glorifying the product, realizing that quality standards with many other airlines are much better). And I wonder whether they have already included LX
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

WomBat151

Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:40 am

So AF/KLM is #1

"According to that, LH is the winner with 30 Mio. followed by BA with 27, AF with 25, KLM with 18 and then AA with 16."

so AF/KLM has 25+18= 43
Ian @ EHAM (AMS), 3,1NM of SPY VOR radial 205

FlySSC

Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:49 am

AF + KL is, by far, bigger than LH. Even bigger than LH + LX.

ZakHH
Topic Author

Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:09 am

Thanks for the list, Thilo. I didn't find it on the IATA page.
The ranking of #2-4 surprises me. My guess would have been exactly upside down.

But is out of question that AF+KL is by far the #1 - anyway, they are still counted seperately.

flyinTLow

Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:53 am

Quoting ZakHH (Reply 9):
But is out of question that AF+KL is by far the #1 - anyway, they are still counted seperately.

This probably comes from the fact that those are still the numbers for the year 2003, yet AF and KLM announced their intensions to join forces in late September 2003. So I think it is rectified to count them seperatly for that year as they were operating as seperate airlines.
As of 2004, they definitly win the cup. Of course one could argue they still have a seperate fleet, seperate flight plans, yada yada yada...

Quoting Mrniji (Reply 6):
It is all matter of a good PR machine to interpret these numbers (LHs PR is definitely glorifying the product, realizing that quality standards with many other airlines are much better). And I wonder whether they have already included LX

"Never trust statistics you haven't forged yourself" - German saying, but probably international by now  Smile

airbazar

Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:21 am

Quoting Udo (Reply 4):
Counting only international passengers is misleading as it totally leaves out the American carriers' massive (and natural) domestic operations. Based in the middle of the EU with many tiny countries close by, it's quite easy to gain a lot of international traffic.

So what. There are plenty of International carriers in the US. They just don't carry as many international passengers. It's a criteria like many others. They're not claiming that LH is the largest airline in the World, just that they carry more international passengers than anyone else. Seems reasonable.

Quote:
That's like comparing Southwest to SIA and awarding the former a title for being the "greater" domestic airline.

No it's not. SIA is not a domestic carrier. They don't fly any domestic routes at all  Smile It is however like comparing LH and AA. Both have domestic and international operations.

burnsie28

Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:41 am

Shouldnt be that hard when the country next to you is "international" and since most flights are to other countries in Europe....

well ya'll get the point.

regupilot

Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:10 am

Quoting Airbazar (Reply 11):
No it's not. SIA is not a domestic carrier. They don't fly any domestic routes at all

I don't think Singapore is big enough to have domestic flights.

TWA902fly

Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:42 am

Quoting ReguPilot (Reply 13):
I don't think Singapore is big enough to have domestic flights.

Except for flights that return to the airport, although i bet even those fly into airspace that does not belong to singapore

'902
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on

Sabena332

Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:54 am

By the way, a few weeks ago I saw an interview with the CEO of LH, Mr. Hubermeyer (or whatever that dude's name is), he said that 75% (!!!) of the LH passengers are from foreign countries and not from Germany.

Actually no wonder, German residents who have experienced the crappy LH service a few times won't ever book a flight on them again.  Silly

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

nrcnyc

Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:00 pm

According to the company I work For, Bloomberg News, AA is the largest airline in terms of passengers. If we are talking about Largest international service, shouldn't that be in the thread title. Clearly Largest, would be most passengers, well at least in the financial world it does.

IFixPlanes

Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:03 pm

@ Sabena332
I think, with this type of comments you do not earn the title "Moderator".

Ingo
never tell an engineer he is wrong ;-)

LHSTR

Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:14 pm

Quoting IFixPlanes (Reply 17):
@ Sabena332

Ingo

Can`t say it better.  Smile

Welcome on my respected user list, IFixPlanes

atmx2000

Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:16 pm

So what. There are plenty of International carriers in the US. They just don't carry as many international passengers. It's a criteria like many others. They're not claiming that LH is the largest airline in the World, just that they carry more international passengers than anyone else. Seems reasonable.

Which of course is rather meaningless because intra-EU aviation is still international yet is far less regulated than international flights to non EU countries, and is approaching true single aviation market status like the US domestic market.

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 12):
Shouldnt be that hard when the country next to you is "international" and since most flights are to other countries in Europe....

Well of course the country next to you is international.
ConcordeBoy is a twin supremacist!! He supports quadicide!!

Lufthansa747

Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:24 pm

@ Sabena332

He simply stated a few facts about LH. Their longhaul Y product is totally horrible, and I would never book it for myself unless I can upgrade to C which is ok. F is nice.
Air Asia Super Elite, Cebu Pacific Titanium

Udo

Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:39 pm

There are plenty of International carriers in the US. They just don't carry as many international passengers.

Because they operate in a completely different environment geographically. So the comparison is quite irrelevant.

They're not claiming that LH is the largest airline in the World, just that they carry more international passengers than anyone else.

Well, as said before, not really hard when sitting in the middle of the EU. What's the difference between a MUC-VIE service and a DTW-MSP service apart from the fact that one is "international" and the other "domestic"? Does it make the former more important or anything just because a "border" is crossed? I don't see the point of the whole discussion about who's the largest international carrier.

No it's not. SIA is not a domestic carrier. They don't fly any domestic routes at all

You didn't get my point. I exaggerated in order to show how irrelevant it is to compare carriers just by "international" and "domestic" traffic. Irony - never heard?  Wink

It is however like comparing LH and AA. Both have domestic and international operations.

And they operate in completely different environments...

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 12):

Exactly.

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 15):
By the way, a few weeks ago I saw an interview with the CEO of LH, Mr. Hubermeyer (or whatever that dude's name is)

Hubermeyer...!!!! That made my day!  rotfl   bigthumbsup 

Actually no wonder, German residents who have experienced the crappy LH service a few times won't ever book a flight on them again.

I couldn't agree more...  yes 

Why? Did he break any forum rules? No. Did he say his opinion and combine it with ironic remarks? Yes. Is that allowed! Yes!  biggrin 

Quoting LHSTR (Reply 18):
Can`t say it better. Smile

Welcome on my respected user list, IFixPlanes

Uh, the crowd is uniting against the dark forces of LH slashers...  flamed 

Regards
Udo

jush

Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:00 pm

By the way, a few weeks ago I saw an interview with the CEO of LH, Mr. Hubermeyer (or whatever that dude's name is), he said that 75% (!!!) of the LH passengers are from foreign countries and not from Germany.

Actually no wonder, German residents who have experienced the crappy LH service a few times won't ever book a flight on them again.

Patrick

I second that. Absolutely rubbish product that is. Next time i'll fly 17 hours straight i'll take a competitor with a better product....
There is one problem with airbus. Though their products are engineering marvels they lack passion, completely.

Udo

Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:04 pm

Quoting Jush (Reply 22):
I second that. Absolutely rubbish product that is. Next time i'll fly 17 hours straight i'll take a competitor with a better product....

Welcome to the club...membership card available. Just e-mail me...  Wink

Regards
Udo

Thrust

Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:11 pm

Is it true that LH has officially decided to start STL-FRA? I've been hearing rumors going on about it.
Fly one thing; Fly it well

9V-SPF

Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:21 pm

Quoting Thrust (Reply 24):
Is it true that LH has officially decided to start STL-FRA? I've been hearing rumors going on about it.

Still nothing more than one of many rumours regarding proposed future LH destinations.

patroni

Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:50 pm

Quoting Jush (Reply 22):

After many problems with LH in the early 1990s, I was a fairly frequent flyer with them until I moved to LUX. Found them OK, nothing special, but also not bad. Always clean aircraft and good airpor facilities though.

I'd be curious which European airline nowadays has a really good economy class product. My experiences with KL, BA and others had been quite dissatisfying. Am not a fan of AF either. So I stick with LX, but their network is too small to be an option on many flights.

Tom

Brasuca

Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:05 am

It's unfair and totally biased propaganda, based on stats which doesn't count flights as SFO-BOS; NYC-HNL; MIA-LAX, yet they make accounts of their HAM-CPH and suchlike.

There is no reason why this title should put out his right to show up his preferences.

I follow German residents. I decided some time ago not to book them either, except for lack of choice.
Varig, Varig, Varig

Alitalia744

Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:09 am

Its misleading tho - Delta carries more PAX every four months than lufthansa does all year...
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

ahlfors

Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:29 am

To make these comparisons more reasonable, perhaps we should not count those international passengers that only fly within the EU, seeing as that is an economic union, and especially inside Schengen the difference between an international and domestic flight is disappearing. I wonder what the numbers would look like if intra-EU passengers were eliminated from these stats.

Brasuca

Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:07 am

Quoting Ahlfors (Reply 29):
To make these comparisons more reasonable, perhaps we should not count those international passengers that only fly within the EU, seeing as that is an economic union, and especially inside Schengen the difference between an international and domestic flight is disappearing. I wonder what the numbers would look like if intra-EU passengers were eliminated from these stats.

Yet, Schengen is smaller than the US, Canada or Brazil, for example. I think that what really counts is Mrniji's summary:

Quoting Mrniji (Reply 6):
- Number of cities served
- capacity offered
- number of a/c
- number of pax carried etc etc
- revenue
- profit
- etc
Varig, Varig, Varig

mrniji

Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:34 am

@ Sabena332

Ingo

Why? A mod is not supposed to have an opinion? A mod is not a human but a PC? Or: someone who criticizes zour beloved LH should not exist?

Get real man and don't play insulted..
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

Sabena332

Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:03 am

@ Sabena332

Ingo

Quoting LHSTR (Reply 18):
Can`t say it better.  Smile

Start a tear-fest and help yourself guys:

Seriously, am I not allowed - as a moderator - to post my opinion here about an airline?

As many other members already wrote, LH's Economy Class product is a friggin shame and possibly the worst in the whole industry.

Last time I checked, members are allowed to post their opinions about airlines here on this aviation forum, and yes, even negative comments about other members' (mostly Germans) beloved Craphansa are allowed.

Patrick

PS: Thanks to the other guys (you know who).  Smile
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

IFixPlanes

Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:11 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 32):
Seriously, am I not allowed - as a moderator - to post my opinion here about an airline?

Of course you can. But it is a big difference between posting a opinion and continuously start to light up bashing against LH in all your postings referring to them.

IMHO the definition moderator comes from the latin word "moderare" what means: check, slow down, control.
So my opinion is, that you not fit to this definition at postings in conjunction with LH.

BTW:
YES, i am a LH Member
but
NO, i don't think that everything what LH does is perfect.

Ingo
never tell an engineer he is wrong ;-)

ZakHH
Topic Author

Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:20 pm

@Patrick: I respect that, as a rather new member, it is certainly not my obligation to tell regulars and mods what to do and how to behave. Still, I hope that you will accept my opinion on your comments.

Certainly, you are free to state your point of view on any topic. Basically, that's the reason to maintain a discussion forum - to share news and opinions with others (who themselves may see some things differently).

However, the boards I have moderated earlier (not to be compared to a.net regarding size, while still more than "5-user-boards") always aimed for the tone staying polite and respectful. Of course, some topics are almost guaranteed to bring up emotional debates. "Favourites and dislikes with airlines" may be such a topic, especially in a forum which is joined by numerous employees of the business. So I would agree to screw PC - it's the arguments that spice up a discussion forum.

Still, statements like "Airline XY is crap. Period.", without giving any arguments as to why this may be your valued opinion, is not what I understood to be the preferred tone in this board (at least not according to the forum rules which I read before signing up). And if this style of argumentation is maintained by you as a board moderator, it can hardly surprise you that some folks at least wonder about such statement of yours. So calling them whiners does not make you look more respectable in my humble opinion.

Well, that is just my €0,02. If you don't care - fine. Please keep your Kleenex box for yourself, thanks. Instead, why not share your thoughts as per why LH products are mere crap for you. And which is your recommended alternatives for certain destinations.

Personally, while flying rather regularly, I have only few destinations which I have to visit monthly. Main city being ALA, where I could fly with KLM or TK instead. Well, TK - never mind. Their flights are being cancelled far too often for my liking, leaving you stranded in Istanbul for upto 2 days. Plus, they're even more expensive than LH and KLM. KLM is not really different from LH, but LH's timing is just far better - so that's it for ALA.

Second regular destination is JNB. I usually fly LX, simply because they are much cheaper than LH, BA or SA. But the service on LX is one of the worst I ever encountered. Extremely unfriendly service crew, newspapers that are 2 days old, and a 50% chance that you won't get your ordered meal - well, I guess that's just what you gotta take when you save ~€250 per flight, so let's not qualify for the Kleenex box again...

Scandinavia is mainly KF territory, but on short flights, I don't care much for comfort and service anyway. Please be in time and land me where was booked for, that's enough for me. If I can also save some € - fine.

My next destinations will be USA east, China and Australia. Any suggestions whom to fly there (and why)? Also, I will have to fly to ULN soon, but I guess there is few other choices than OM. Will see to get some pics over there, though some colleagues have warned me that police officers at ULN do not really like people taking pictures at the airport. Let's see...

dazeflight

Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:35 pm

There is a difference between stating an opinion and contaminating each and every LH-thread with those tiresome self-repeating remarks.  banghead 

I think everybody here knows your opionion about LH and does not need to be reminded in each and every thread. It would be quite refreshing to read a thread about LH without your obligatory 2-line LH-bashing remarks.  bored 

And yes, a moderator should at least try to be little unbiased, unless that word means something different here on a.net.  old  Saying that, I actually do not like LH's Y product as well.

ciao
Daniel

Stealthz

Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:38 pm

Quoting ZakHH (Thread starter):
LH "biggest Airline Worldwide"

I won't dispute LH pax figures or the fact they are a major INTERNATIONAL airline but I take serious issue with the "Worldwide" claim.
There is a considerable portion of the planet not serverd by Lufthansa or SWISS

There are very few airlines that can call themselves truly "Worldwide"

Regards

Chris
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

mrniji

Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:08 pm

This is a funny thread!  - I like Sabenna332, he is definitely one of the smartest people (AND smartest mods) here - and I think all of you are rather unfair and not able to discover sarcasm along with irony .. Mods not allowed to state their opinions? Huh? Welcome to the world of double standards... you rather compare to the people who expect politics to solve their own problems and failures rather then discovering that "Kleider machen Leute" (hope you got what I said, the train of thought is rather complicated and requires some elaboration)

For those who started this section of the "Sabena332 bash-thread"... two recommendations:

- either all of us get together for a beer asap

or:

along with stucking your head into a toilet and start to cry..

What soundz better to ya guys?  

Edit: Stupid and unlogical German Kezboards..

[Edited 2005-07-24 16:13:16]

ZakHH
Topic Author

Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:29 pm

Quoting Mrniji (Reply 37):
along with stucking your head into a toilet and start to cry..

Interesting crying technique you developed there...  Wink

Anyway, I'd apply for the beer. Still, yes, I do think there is kind of "double standards" for mods and "normal" users. Not so much about stating opinions, but about sticking to the board rules. And you may question if Patrick's postings are in accordance with rules 1a and 4. If this is only because I don't know him enough and don't recognize his sense of sarcasm and irony - okay, sorry.

Okay, but enough whining for me, let's go for the beer. Cheers!
(Oh, and btw, German keyboard layout is perfectly logical...  Silly ).

Avianca

Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:21 am

Quoting WomBat151 (Reply 7):
So AF/KLM is #1

"According to that, LH is the winner with 30 Mio. followed by BA with 27, AF with 25, KLM with 18 and then AA with 16."

so AF/KLM has 25+18= 43

AF/KLM is one holding with two airlines or not?

let us look how many passengers has Lufthansa with the doughter companys Condor,Eurowings,Germanwings,Swiss,Air Dolomiti etc etc. ? ? ?

still Lufthansa is the #1  Smile

cheers
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

Udo

Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:57 am

Quoting IFixPlanes (Reply 33):
But it is a big difference between posting a opinion and continuously start to light up bashing against LH in all your postings referring to them.

Hey, how did you manage to read all of his countless posts about LH?  Wow!

Quoting IFixPlanes (Reply 33):
IMHO the definition moderator comes from the latin word "moderare" what means: check, slow down, control.
So my opinion is, that you not fit to this definition at postings in conjunction with LH.

Why don't you officially complain?  Wink

Quoting ZakHH (Reply 34):
Still, statements like "Airline XY is crap. Period.", without giving any arguments as to why this may be your valued opinion, is not what I understood to be the preferred tone in this board

Just try the search option and you find masses of threads about the reasons...  bitelip 

So calling them whiners does not make you look more respectable in my humble opinion.

More respectable or not - the cleenex box is just funny...  rotfl 

Instead, why not share your thoughts as per why LH products are mere crap for you.

"Search" is the magic term...

KLM is not really different from LH, but LH's timing is just far better - so that's it for ALA.

Talking about the ALA route only, LH's A332 is probably indeed a better option than KL's B763. But nothing beats KL's crews.

Quoting Dazeflight (Reply 35):
There is a difference between stating an opinion and contaminating each and every LH-thread with those tiresome self-repeating remarks.

Well, isn't it quite normal that opposing opinions are often seen as tiresome?  Wink

It would be quite refreshing to read a thread about LH without your obligatory 2-line LH-bashing remarks.

There's still the option to simply ignore certain comments.

And yes, a moderator should at least try to be little unbiased, unless that word means something different here on a.net.

There's a difference between "opinion" and "bias".

Quoting ZakHH (Reply 38):
And you may question if Patrick's postings are in accordance with rules 1a and 4.

Then suggest them for deletion and maybe you are lucky and they get removed...  Yeah sure

Quoting Avianca (Reply 39):
still Lufthansa is the #1

Where?

Regards
Udo

mauriceb

Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:00 am

Talking about the ALA route only, LH's A332 is probably indeed a better option than KL's B763. But nothing beats KL's crews.

Udo, wait untill the A330's arrive, who's the winner then huh  Wink (owh yeah, the new one got email and lots of other IFE options)

Udo

Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:08 am

Quoting MauriceB (Reply 41):
Udo, wait untill the A330's arrive, who's the winner then huh Wink (owh yeah, the new one got email and lots of other IFE options)

Winner: Holland 10:0. Big grin

Regards
Udo

ACDC8

Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:15 am

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 36):
I won't dispute LH pax figures or the fact they are a major INTERNATIONAL airline but I take serious issue with the "Worldwide" claim.
There is a considerable portion of the planet not serverd by Lufthansa or SWISS

LH seems to have a pretty strong presence in North America, South America, Africa, Asia, Mid-East and of course Europe. Seems pretty close to worldwide to me.

As many other members already wrote, LH's Economy Class product is a friggin shame and possibly the worst in the whole industry.

While everyone is entitled to their opinions (which I respect, BTW), just out of curiosity. Who would you define as the best in the whole industry.

Personally, I've never had a problem with LH, great service, very professional and a joy to fly.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

Avianca

Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:26 am

Quoting Udo (Reply 40):
Where?

Seriously, LH claims #1 with over 34 Mio. passengers worldwide in 2004 (domestic flights not counted).

regards

Udo

Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:54 am

Quoting Avianca (Reply 44):

Seriously, LH claims #1 with over 34 Mio. passengers worldwide in 2004 (domestic flights not counted).

regards

What's new here? The numbers are misleading, so what?

Regards
Udo

Avianca

Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:01 am

Quoting Udo (Reply 45):
What's new here? The numbers are misleading, so what?

read first thank you.

Quoting Avianca (Reply 39):
AF/KLM is one holding with two airlines or not?

let us look how many passengers has Lufthansa with the doughter companys Condor,Eurowings,Germanwings,Swiss,Air Dolomiti etc etc. ? ? ?

still Lufthansa is the #1

Udo

Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:08 am

Quoting Avianca (Reply 46):
read first thank you.

You're welcome!  biggrin 

Regards
Udo

Avianca

Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:19 am

Quoting Udo (Reply 47):
You're welcome!

white   white   white   white 

Stealthz

Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:45 am

Quote:
LH seems to have a pretty strong presence in North America, South America, Africa, Asia, Mid-East and of course Europe. Seems pretty close to worldwide to me.

Aust/NZ and the Pacific may not count much for passenger numbers but it does constitute a significant percentage of the planet  Smile

Chris
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!