FlewGSW
Topic Author

AA JFK Terminal C Opens Wednesday

Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:22 pm

The below press release is dated 22 April. This past week the news came out that opening date has been set for this coming Wednesday, July 27 , 2005.

AA will open the first phase of its new world class International Terminal at JFK International Airport. When Phase One opens, all American and American Eagle domestic flights will arrive and depart from newly opened Concourse C. Passengers will access Concourse C from the 750,000 square foot Main Terminal building, which will feature over 60 ticketing positions, self-service check-in, a 10-lane centralized security checkpoint, and inline baggage screening. A new elevated 9-lane roadway, over 800 linear feet of curb frontage, and a covered walkway will provide direct access to the Main Terminal.

After proceeding through the centralized security checkpoint, passengers will proceed down escalators to an underground tunnel with moving walkways to quickly connect to Concourse C. Concourse C will open with 12 gates, new concessions and a new 11,000 square foot Admirals Club. Moving walkways in Concourse C will move passengers quickly and comfortably to and from their gates.

With the opening of Phase One, existing Terminal 9 and its Concourse D will close. Terminal 8 with Concourses A and B will remain open and continue to handle all International Arrivals for the next 16 to 18 months while the remainder of the new terminal, international gates, and the Customs and Border Control facilities are completed.

In mid 2005, we will open five additional American Eagle gates on Concourse C and the first American Airlines gate on Concourse B. In late 2005, we will open the final four American Eagle gates on Concourse C.

The last major phase of our new International Terminal will open in the fall of 2006 with the full opening of Concourse B and completion of the Main Terminal. Terminal 8 and its A and B Concourses will close and all American Airlines and American Eagle flights, including all International arrivals and departures, will operate from the new Terminal. With the opening of this phase, we will operate from 32 gates (15 International and 17 domestic, including 9 RJ gates). In addition to these gates, we will open the new Customs and Border Control facility capable of processing 1,600 passengers per hour, an additional 42,000 square feet of concessions space, a second 19,000-square foot Admirals Club and Flagship Lounge, additional ticket counter check-in positions, and additional curb side check-in positions.

By the end of 2006, we will open the final four International arrival gates, bringing the total number of Gates in the New JFK terminal to 36 (19 International and 17 domestic)

STT757

RE: AA JFK Terminal C Opens Wednesday

Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:08 am

Quoting FlewGSW (Thread starter):
By the end of 2006, we will open the final four International arrival gates, bringing the total number of Gates in the New JFK terminal to 36 (19 International and 17 domestic)

I wish they would show a rendering to show the final design, Im curious as to which portions that they are not going to build.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

jsnww81

Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:52 am

It's about time! I had given up hope that it was ever going to open.

I guess the future "Concourse A" will consist of the two wings that were chopped out of the original design. Should American ever decide to beef up Eagle flights again, they could build these on as they originally planned.

The timeline given in the press release seems a bit rushed, even if it was supposed to open in April. I doubt they'll have the whole project wrapped up by the end of 2006.

AlitaliaMD11

Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:29 am

Last time I flew out of Terminal 8 which was last August it was in entire chaos!
I am really glad that Iberia moved to Terminal 7 so their passengers don't have to deal with that little crappy space at the end of Terminal 8.

Hopefully things will get better at Terminal 8 and 9 as construcion comes to an end.
No Vueling No Party

commavia

Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:51 am

Saw this too in Nexos on an AA flight LAX-DFW today, too. The latest Nexos addition already has the new JFK terminal map with the midfield concourse.

jdaniel001

Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:21 am

Wow!!! AA is getting all kinds of new real estate this month...DFW and now JFK. Does anyone know if they are keeping the stain glass facade of the original terminal?
We Are UNITED!

commavia

Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:28 am

Quoting Jdaniel001 (Reply 5):
Wow!!! AA is getting all kinds of new real estate this month...DFW and now JFK. Does anyone know if they are keeping the stain glass facade of the original terminal?

Don't forget MIA, where AA is gradually (very slowly) migrating to the new North Concourse Terminal D.

qqflyboy

Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:46 am

Actually, the new terminal isn't opening up to operations until mid-August, in fact, an exact date has yet to be determined. The event on the 27th is simply an official dedication with invited dignitaries, the media and employees. Only the dignitaries and media will get tours that day... employees have to wait until closer to opening for guided tours.
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

flypdx

Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:06 am

What is happening to all of AAs current facilities?

BigGSFO

Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:11 am

Now if they would only work on SFO. I know it's not a focus city but that concourse desperately needs an update.

commavia

Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:25 am

Quoting BigGSFO (Reply 9):
Now if they would only work on SFO. I know it's not a focus city but that concourse desperately needs an update.

Way back in the day (the gogo 90s), wasn't the plan for AA to ultimately take over the old international terminal and leave Concourse E to United?

TUNisia

Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:30 am

Here's a link to pics inside the new terminal that I saw on FT...

http://slu2ggo.org/Airlinepics/AdmiralsClub.html
Someday the sun will shine down on me in some faraway place - Mahalia Jackson

N1120A

Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:38 am

Quoting Commavia (Reply 10):
Way back in the day (the gogo 90s), wasn't the plan for AA to ultimately take over the old international terminal and leave Concourse E to United?

That has changed drastically. It seems SFO is content leaving the terminal gutted and used for TSA offices (how much space do the REALLY need?)
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

BigGSFO

Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:27 pm

That central terminal at SFO still sits empty of airline activity. Of course it would be great for AA to fix it up, hang some curtains, mop the floor and move in. But there are probably 1001 other things on their "to do" list.

Oh well...

NYC777

Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:39 pm

My question is will they build over where T8 is after knocking down the old T8? I heard that they won't be doing that.
That which does not kill me makes me stronger.

commavia

Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:46 pm

Quoting NYC777 (Reply 14):
My question is will they build over where T8 is after knocking down the old T8? I heard that they won't be doing that.

Yes. Once all of the domestic flights move over to the midfield Concourse C, T9 is going to be closed, knocked down, and the western (southern?) end of the new Concourse B will be built in its place. In 2006 (supposedly), international flights will move over there from T8, allowing them to knock that down and build the eastern (northern?) end of the new Concourse B. When that is finally done, the whole terminal project will be complete. So, to give the really quick answer to your question, yes -- the new Concourse B will be built right over what is now T8.

Starlionblue

Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:19 pm

Now if only the Admiral's Clubs didn't look as if my great-grandparents have furnished them. AA, take a look at BA and SK lounges for some inspiration and try to enter the current century, or at least the last one!
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Mir

Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:25 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 12):
It seems SFO is content leaving the terminal gutted and used for TSA offices (how much space do the REALLY need?)

The bureaucracy of the a government tends to expand to fill the space available.

Anyway, isn't Virgin USA going to operate out of the old international terminal (if and when they get their operating certificate)?

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

NYC777

Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:28 am

Quoting Commavia (Reply 15):
Yes. Once all of the domestic flights move over to the midfield Concourse C, T9 is going to be closed, knocked down, and the western (southern?) end of the new Concourse B will be built in its place. In 2006 (supposedly), international flights will move over there from T8, allowing them to knock that down and build the eastern (northern?) end of the new Concourse B. When that is finally done, the whole terminal project will be complete. So, to give the really quick answer to your question, yes -- the new Concourse B will be built right over what is now T8.

Thanks, I read on www.jfktower.com that once they finished building over T9 then they were going to stop which would mean a half finished terminal (and a half assed job in my opinion). It's good to know that they will build over T8.

commavia

Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:57 am

Quoting NYC777 (Reply 18):
Thanks, I read on www.jfktower.com that once they finished building over T9 then they were going to stop which would mean a half finished terminal (and a half assed job in my opinion). It's good to know that they will build over T8.

Well, I could be wrong then, but I think AA does still intend to fully finish both concourses, just way behind their original schedule. However, I don't know for sure.

AlitaliaMD11

Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:37 pm

I kind of like the looks of the new Terminal 8. I read that August 15th is the opening date.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Mario Aurich

In 8 days I will be flying Iberia from MAD to JFK and will be flying into Terminal 7. I have yet to see Iberia at Terminal 7 but I have experienced them at Terminal 8 and it was not good.

This was Iberias gate at Terminal 8:

extremely cramped on the inside.

But I don't think Iberia has any plans of switching back to Terminal 8.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Michael F. McLaughlin

Finnair is still at Terminal 8 though.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Tom Turner

[Edited 2005-07-25 14:39:39]
No Vueling No Party

NYC777

Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:00 pm

Does anyone have the original press release or original specs for the AA terminal when it was announced in 98 or 99?

Andie007

Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:35 pm

The terminal really looks great inside.
Can't wait to fly American to JFK again  Smile

Xkorpyoh

Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:46 pm

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 16):
Now if only the Admiral's Clubs didn't look as if my great-grandparents have furnished them. AA, take a look at BA and SK lounges for some inspiration and try to enter the current century, or at least the last one!

You read my mind!. I think this is an improvement to what they have now, but it is a missed opportunity to create a really amazing terminal and Admiral's Club.Don't forget VS and their amazing club in London. If AA is making this its main gateway to the world, they could have done something more impressive. Even the new concourses in MIA look better and more creative inside. (UA's ORD terminal another good example built in the 80's)

kosmonaute

Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:39 am

Quoting AlitaliaMD11 (Reply 20):
In 8 days I will be flying Iberia from MAD to JFK and will be flying into Terminal 7. I have yet to see Iberia at Terminal 7 but I have experienced them at Terminal 8 and it was not good.

Are there any plans for IB to move back to the AA Terminal once the new one is complete?

I flew IB out of JFK to BCN back when they had nonstop service on the 763. The gate was in Concourse A, while the flights to MAD leave from Concourse B. It was a very strange experience....I'm sorry, but I like to actually see the plane through windows at the gate before I actually board it. I had the same experience when I flew to MIA, and that was enhanced by the fact that we departed through that little door right next to the bathrooms, a.k.a. Gate 4S. It reminded me of the seventh and a half floor in Being John Malkovich. To add to the questions, will the MIA flights continue to leave from Terminal 8, or switch to the new Concourse C?
Burning airlines give you so much more.

AA787

Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:42 pm

This is not AA's main Admirals club at JFK. The other one will be in the main terminal, next to the Flagship Lounge and be twice the size. Look out for that one.

AA787
ET In NYC

RogerThat

Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:25 am

AA Chairman and President Arpey is scheduled to be interviewed on CNBC Wed 7-27 at 8:40am ET from the new terminal. I'm setting my Tivo.

Anybody know the fate of the stained glass window? Its the largest in the world and the cover of AA's 1959 annual report to shareholders. They earned $2.53 per share.

Starlionblue

Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:40 am

By the way, we'll finally have an Admiral's Club inside security. Whohooo!
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

bpat777

Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:43 am

Does anyone know if the new customs and immigration facility will be located in the C satellite or the main terminal bldg once the entire project is completed.

NYC777

Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:57 am

Quoting AA787 (Reply 25):
This is not AA's main Admirals club at JFK. The other one will be in the main terminal, next to the Flagship Lounge and be twice the size. Look out for that one.

Do you know if they will be building over T8 once that's demolished?

Quoting Bpat777 (Reply 28):
Does anyone know if the new customs and immigration facility will be located in the C satellite or the main terminal bldg once the entire project is completed.

I believe it'll be in the main terminal building (eventually).

Also does anyone have a a rendering or drawing of what the final terminal desgin will look like?

[Edited 2005-07-26 22:08:18]

jfkaua

Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:09 am

wait i will be departing aa to aruba on friday the 29th.. are international departures still out of the old terminal? what about domestic arrivals on my way home.. will that arrive in the new terminal?

AlitaliaMD11

Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:07 am

Quoting Kosmonaute (Reply 24):
Are there any plans for IB to move back to the AA Terminal once the new one is complete?

I don't know of any plans for Iberia to move back to Terminal 8. I have heard that they are very happy at Terminal 7 and have better accommodations.

I think the move kind of weakened the tie between Iberia and American but it strengthened the tie between Iberia and British Airways.

Just to make sure I would ask an Iberia insider like Iberia340600.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Spencer Wilmot

No Vueling No Party

qqflyboy

Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:31 am

To quote myself, for clarification:

Quoting Qqflyboy (Reply 7):
Actually, the new terminal isn't opening up to operations until mid-August, in fact, an exact date has yet to be determined. The event on the 27th is simply an official dedication with invited dignitaries, the media and employees
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

NYC777

Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:03 am

NYC777

Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:59 am

More info on AA new JFK terminal by AA:

http://www.aa.com/content/images/amrcorp/pdf/JFKFastFacts.pdf

http://www.aa.com/content/images/amr...rp/pdf/JFKTermFactSheet_072005.pdf

http://www.aa.com/content/amrcorp/pressReleases/2005_07/27_jfk.jhtml

Some interesting facts:

36 gates
9 regional jets gates
27 mainline jets gates
19 gates for international

Phase 1 opens on August 27th
Phase 2(final) opens April, 2007

[Edited 2005-07-28 00:38:45]