goodmanr

US Now Charges For Preferred Luggage Tags

Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:22 am

So, I got a new rollerboard and realized I haven't gotten any US Gold Preferred luggage tags this year, and called to ask. As always, the preferred number reps. were helpful, nice and prompt and told me that US Airways no longer issues luggage tags for free, they are now $10 for two. This isn't much, but it's sort of annoying that I spend $20,000+/year flying and they can't give me some free luggage tags. I know times are tough, but elite customers are important to airlines, we fly a lot, and we pay higher fares.

Have all airlines stopped giving these away? I've been getting annoyed with US throughout the course of the year, as the aircraft are dirtier every time, and the website is so amazingly bad you can barely use it. I contacted CO, and they'll match my current elite status, at the start of 2006 I am going to have them match it and switch to CO unless things change at US. Too bad, I've flown US for years, they are the only carrier that flies to HHH (where I go four or so times per year), but I'll just fly US then, and CO for all business.

I don't need anyone attacking me telling me that I'm greedy and just want free upgrades, I don't even care about the upgrades. I just want a phone number to call where I don't have to hold for 45 mins., and to be able to use the first class security line. I can never get upgrades as is, the flights are full, or more likely, everything is now an express flight. I know the same is true with CO, but at least the planes are clean and they still give snacks. I really like and take advantage of US being in Star, even though Star is way bigger and better than SkyTeam, I think SkyTeam will get me everywhere I need to go.
USAirways - Chairmans Gold

phxflyer

RE: US Now Charges For Preferred Luggage Tags

Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 am

I didn't realize that it was possible to switch airlines and have the new airline honor your existing elite status. I'm having the same issues that you mentioned with US and I'd be curious to hear how you managed to pull this off.

Alex

uadc8contrail

Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:49 am

phxflyer,
has happened quite a bit. contact aa or dl and you will need to show proof that you are actually flying that much, in my freinds case he had to fax his latest statement over to dl and they gave him gold medallion status,i believe that he had to keep up the same level of flying in order to keep the gold status for 06. also dl gave him 2 of those really small gold tags that you need to put up close to your eyes just to see the writing on the tag....
bus driver.......move that bus:)

utapao

Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:09 am

Quoting Goodmanr (Thread starter):
Have all airlines stopped giving these away?

AA ExecPlat still provides them... at least for now. Assume other AAdvantage levels still do, also.
Sawasdee khrab!

GuyBetsy1

Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:22 am

People just want a gold tag to say.. "look at me, look at my status. I'm a somebody."

goodmanr

Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:24 am

Quoting Phxflyer (Reply 1):
I didn't realize that it was possible to switch airlines and have the new airline honor your existing elite status. I'm having the same issues that you mentioned with US and I'd be curious to hear how you managed to pull this off.

Alex

Phxflyer,
NW and CO will match it outright. Just call or email the worldperks or onepass service centers, and they'll write you back. You have to mail them a copy of your last two statements and a copy of your card.

Quoting Uadc8contrail (Reply 2):
phxflyer,
has happened quite a bit. contact aa or dl and you will need to show proof that you are actually flying that much, in my freinds case he had to fax his latest statement over to dl and they gave him gold medallion status,i believe that he had to keep up the same level of flying in order to keep the gold status for 06. also dl gave him 2 of those really small gold tags that you need to put up close to your eyes just to see the writing on the tag....

It's true that all airlines will do something like this, they all require proof of how much you're flying but AA and DL take it a step beyond what you mention. AA and DL both allow you to earn status faster, flying 5000 or 10000 miles in a few month period, and they'll match your status. CO and NW will just match it without making you fly, so long as you show your statement. I contacted AA and they didn't ask for a statement, they just said I had to fly a bunch in two months. I think I'm going to go with CO, I'm so fed up with US.

goodmanr

Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:26 am

Quoting GuyBetsy1 (Reply 4):
People just want a gold tag to say.. "look at me, look at my status. I'm a somebody."

Give me a break. I want the tags so my bags make it off the belt sooner when I have to check them. Also, to get through security it's easier to show a tag on your bag for the priority line than to dig through my wallet. I don't care who sees my luggage tags, also, who would notice my luggage tags? I don't make a habbit of noticing peoples tags, do you?

A330323X

Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:50 am

This isn't anything new. US hasn't given out luggage tags in about 4 years.
I'm the expert on here on two things, neither of which I care about much anymore.

goodmanr

Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:52 am

Quoting A330323X (Reply 7):
This isn't anything new. US hasn't given out luggage tags in about 4 years.

THinking back I probably haven't received one since then....I just noticed since I got a new bag.

fbgdavidson

Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:54 am

I think it is a little tough that airlines are charging you for extra tags. I don't often check luggage but when I last did one tag was broken outbound and one on the return. They don't last very long on the whole. BA now allow you to order them online to a limit of three times per year (I don't fly enough to wear mine out that much!).

Quoting Goodmanr (Reply 6):
Give me a break. I want the tags so my bags make it off the belt sooner when I have to check them. Also, to get through security it's easier to show a tag on your bag for the priority line than to dig through my wallet. I don't care who sees my luggage tags, also, who would notice my luggage tags? I don't make a habbit of noticing peoples tags, do you?

If it isn't important why do you have your status in your signature?  Confused

This is rather common practice. Last year and this year Star Alliance launched a campaign in the UK whereby if you could prove your status with a non-*A airline they'd match your status for a Star Alliance airline of your choice.

Also British Midland have a formal procedure for matching status, on British Airways at least. In fact if you can prove you have status or are likely to provide future revenue for an airline it is often worth getting a status match on the off chance you have to fly with an airline outside your preferred alliance.

More info on statusmatching
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

goodmanr

Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:57 am

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 9):
If it isn't important why do you have your status in your signature?

Mostly so that people here didn't flame me and call my stupid right when I joined the forum. People here continually tell those they disagree with they know nothing about anything. I might no nothing about AA's service, but I fly US a lot and know how they treat me.

goodmanr

Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:58 am

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 9):
This is rather common practice. Last year and this year Star Alliance launched a campaign in the UK whereby if you could prove your status with a non-*A airline they'd match your status for a Star Alliance airline of your choice.

Also British Midland have a formal procedure for matching status, on British Airways at least. In fact if you can prove you have status or are likely to provide future revenue for an airline it is often worth getting a status match on the off chance you have to fly with an airline outside your preferred alliance.

More info on statusmatching

I didn't know about this program. Here is the US, any carrier will match any others so long as they aren't in the same alliance. I've looked around a good bit in the past month because I'm fed up with US. CO, NW, AA, DL will all match it, UA will not.

N312RC

Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:05 am

US hasnt given out free luggage tags to Silver or Gold Preferred members for years.. Chairmans (top tier) still get them free.

Oh and Goodmanr, United will match your status, or they will match my Chairmans status with "Premier Executive".... I cant imagine why anyone would switch to United anyway, as theyre worse than US.
N/A

fbgdavidson

Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:16 am

Quoting N312RC (Reply 12):
Oh and Goodmanr, United will match your status, or they will match my Chairmans status with "Premier Executive".... I cant imagine why anyone would switch to United anyway, as theyre worse than US.

In most cases UA will match status, although since US are part of Star Alliance they will not. You can of course get UA to match non *A status presuming the OP has any although his signature suggests not.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

goodmanr

Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:22 am

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 13):
In most cases UA will match status, although since US are part of Star Alliance they will not. You can of course get UA to match non *A status presuming the OP has any although his signature suggests not.

I'll make silver (barely) this year on NW, so I guess I could have united match my some level of status that way. There wouldn't really be any point though, I get an economy plus seat with my US status, and United for me requires flying out of IAD (which I hate) even for domestic.

[Edited 2005-07-26 22:24:07]

goodmanr

Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:24 am

Quoting N312RC (Reply 12):

I would do it for the website alone. The US website is so so so bad.

deltairlines

Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:49 am

What I did with my US status was I would just have them send me an extra elite card (which are free) and then I just punch a hole in it and throw it on my bag. I also do this with my older tags (the card's expired, but it doesn't really matter, they don't look too closely at experiation dates)...

Jeff

goodmanr

Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:53 am

Quoting DeltAirlines (Reply 16):
What I did with my US status was I would just have them send me an extra elite card (which are free) and then I just punch a hole in it and throw it on my bag. I also do this with my older tags (the card's expired, but it doesn't really matter, they don't look too closely at experiation dates)...

Jeff

I'd thought about doing that....I was just turned off by the fact that last time I requested a new card it took two months to come, I figured by that time I would have forgotten. Maybe I'll just do that though, it's nice to have a tag on your bag as they really never put priority stickers on them.

goodmanr

Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:26 am

Quoting DeltAirlines (Reply 16):

Jeff

I'd thought about doing that....I was just turned off by the fact that last time I requested a new card it took two months to come, I figured by that time I would have forgotten. Maybe I'll just do that though, it's nice to have a tag on your bag as they really never put priority stickers on them.

Tornado82

Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:29 am

Quoting Goodmanr (Thread starter):

Have all airlines stopped giving these away? I've been getting annoyed with US throughout the course of the year, as the aircraft are dirtier every time, and the website is so amazingly bad you can barely use it. I contacted CO, and they'll match my current elite status, at the start of 2006 I am going to have them match it and switch to CO unless things change at US. Too bad, I've flown US for years, they are the only carrier that flies to HHH (where I go four or so times per year), but I'll just fly US then, and CO for all business.

And once again... US loses a good customer due to poor customer service. If the PHL hub doesn't get 'em, cuts like this will... regardless of who they merge with and get bailout financing from.

goodmanr

Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:36 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 19):
And once again... US loses a good customer due to poor customer service. If the PHL hub doesn't get 'em, cuts like this will... regardless of who they merge with and get bailout financing from.

I agree! Even if it will apparently be better after the merger, I can't deal with another year of broken tray tables, garbage on the floor, phones that don't get answered, and a website that takes six tries to book a ticket!

Tornado82

Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:06 am

Quoting Goodmanr (Reply 20):
I can't deal with another year of broken tray tables, garbage on the floor, phones that don't get answered, and a website that takes six tries to book a ticket!

Don't forget about endless "ATC/Weather Delays" in PHL... baggage misconnects, blown connections, and that God-awful airport to make connections in to begin with... not to mention those surly workers there.

Goodmanr, I keep a list of US customers that they've lost because of this of just the people that I know of personally. I'm up to 29 now with you... and all of us had some type of DM-Elite status... including 12 of them who were DM Chairmen's Preferred... and even myself who as recently as 11 months ago wouldn't even look at another airline's fares before just going straight to USAirways.com to book a flight... now I refuse to fly them and pay the price difference out of pocket for work-related trips if US happens to be cheaper and work tries to force me to fly them. We 29 don't include a certain large corporation based in the CMH region who has stopped all corporate flying on US because of these same reasons. (I can't mention company names as to compromise confidentiality of a family member)

And I'm pretty sure I'm about to get flamed hardcore for this whole post by a certain US Airbus fan on here... but I'm just stating what I know from former US customers all across PA and Ohio and I'm sure US knows it too within the crystal city... they've even sent me countless emails trying to solicit me back and I was only Silver Preferred.

goodmanr

Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:22 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 21):
Don't forget about endless "ATC/Weather Delays" in PHL... baggage misconnects, blown connections, and that God-awful airport to make connections in to begin with... not to mention those surly workers there.

Goodmanr, I keep a list of US customers that they've lost because of this of just the people that I know of personally. I'm up to 29 now with you... and all of us had some type of DM-Elite status... including 12 of them who were DM Chairmen's Preferred... and even myself who as recently as 11 months ago wouldn't even look at another airline's fares before just going straight to USAirways.com to book a flight... now I refuse to fly them and pay the price difference out of pocket for work-related trips if US happens to be cheaper and work tries to force me to fly them. We 29 don't include a certain large corporation based in the CMH region who has stopped all corporate flying on US because of these same reasons. (I can't mention company names as to compromise confidentiality of a family member)

And I'm pretty sure I'm about to get flamed hardcore for this whole post by a certain US Airbus fan on here... but I'm just stating what I know from former US customers all across PA and Ohio and I'm sure US knows it too within the crystal city... they've even sent me countless emails trying to solicit me back and I was only Silver Preferred.

US has just pissed me off. I fly CMH-LGA a good bit, and the flights are late at every turn (granted, its chautauqua). I know LGA is a mess, but they never have flight info posted, the people are incredibly rude. I typically book on USairways.com but I havent' been lately because the site literally doesn't work half the time. When you look for flights it just gets a blank white screen, even with cookies fully enabled, it's just a really horrible site, no ifs ands or buts about it.

I personally don't have much experience connecting through PHL, I fly mostly out of LGA, DCA and CMH. I take the shuttle a lot, and usually pay full fare for it. I prefer the US shuttle, but the Delta shuttle now has better service, and the fares are always the same. What did it for me was a weather related snag at DCA in June. All flights after 6:00PM were cancelled but not until around midnight. I know they can't deal with weather, but the crews all ran out of time long before the flights were cancelled. The worst part was that there was nobody to rebook you, as most of the US employees went home when the shift was over. It took constant attempts until 4:30AM to get a message besides "we can't take your call at this time". I'm so sick of US and being treated like I owe them money, rather than being treated by someone who pays a rampers salary a year. DL and CO have the most overlap with what I fly, but given the feelings about DL, I think I'm switching to CO.

THere is no defense of US Air, I know they have some good people, but it's just really awful service.

Tornado82

Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:50 am

Quoting Goodmanr (Reply 22):
I think I'm switching to CO.

EWR sucks for ground-delays and whatnot like PHL, but if you do DCA/LGA you should be pretty used to that by now anyways. Otherwise, CO is an EXCELLENT airline... and connections in CLE are a breeze... almost as good as Pittsburgh back in the good ol' days... but with a significantly more competent airline running the show.

goodmanr

Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:54 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 23):
EWR sucks for ground-delays and whatnot like PHL, but if you do DCA/LGA you should be pretty used to that by now anyways. Otherwise, CO is an EXCELLENT airline... and connections in CLE are a breeze... almost as good as Pittsburgh back in the good ol' days... but with a significantly more competent airline running the show.

EWR does suck, I think flying DCA-LGA/EWR there is just no way to avoid it. Even with the delays, I still prefer it to the train... Flying west from NYC, EWR is fine and the CO service runs circlues around UA/AA/HP

GQfluffy

Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:02 am

Quoting Goodmanr (Reply 6):

To be honest, I don't throw bags out in a certain order. Closest bag = First on the belt.

And yes, I notice people's tags. Because generally when the "special airline tag" people show up ( sarcastic  ), they're generally more stuck up and rude to us CSA's. ESPECIALLY when a flight is running late, even if it's only 10 minutes. I hope you, because you fly so much, are more easy going and relaxed about delays. Anymore, delays are getting more and more common. I've only EVER had TWO really easygoing pax who were of the ELITE status (not counting the lower levels of FFers).

fluffy
This isn't where I parked my car...

goodmanr

Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:05 am

Quoting GQfluffy (Reply 25):
I hope you, because you fly so much, are more easy going and relaxed about delays. Anymore, delays are getting more and more common. I've only EVER had TWO really easygoing pax who were of the ELITE status (not counting the lower levels of FFers).

I rarely check luggage on domestic flights. When I do, it's from DCA and almost always doesn't make it until the next flight, no matter what time I get there. THe problem there, from my understanding, is that TSA is under equiped and takes forever to screen luggage. This is evident by the hundreds of bags in the lobby when you get there.

GQfluffy

Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:10 am

LoL. Don't get me started on TSA...  headache   bomb 

But anyway, what's this "hundreds of bags"??? Bags just waiting to be screened? So what's the point of asking people "has your baggage been in your possesion if they're just sitting in a lobby??? Crazy...

fluffy
This isn't where I parked my car...

Tornado82

Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:13 am

What?? TSA screwing something up?? Impossible!!! What next... are you going to tell me that US ran a plane through PHL on time??

goodmanr

Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:09 am

Quoting GQfluffy (Reply 27):
But anyway, what's this "hundreds of bags"??? Bags just waiting to be screened? So what's the point of asking people "has your baggage been in your possesion if they're just sitting in a lobby??? Crazy...

More or less, they're just behind ropes...

HPRamper

Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:17 pm

If you travel a lot, chances are the paper ones the common folk use last longer than the hard ones that cost money anyway. I work in the baggage makeup area and loading bins, and I see those tags, as well as those cutesy zipper locks being stripped off bags regularly. The edge of the baggage belt eats tags and locks, so does the end of the belt loader and there are always uneven metal surfaces in the bins that rip them off.

I'm talking EVERY plane. You can walk around the bin after loading and there will be a collection of locks, keys, bag tags and zippers littering the ground.

Besides, have patience for just a while longer....things may very well change across the board when the US/HP merger goes through. I wouldn't write off US just yet, even though I fully admit things may suck right now.

Tornado82

Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:07 pm

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 30):

Besides, have patience for just a while longer....things may very well change across the board when the US/HP merger goes through. I wouldn't write off US just yet, even though I fully admit things may suck right now.

I feel sorry for you HP guys getting thrust into the mess that is US from your rampers to the pilots to the lower/middle management. It's going to be really hard to win back the miffed US customers... at least from my viewpoint.

They need a clean sweep through the PHL hub first off... remove some flights and send them to PIT or CLT (either one... or even to a new place just to get them OUT of PHL). Get rid of ALOT of people at PHL too. If I ran PHL I'd probably clean house of about 50% of the staff from all layers of the US totem pole. Sure there are alot good people there, but there are alot of Grade A A**holes there too... and no change of management/ownership/philosophy will change the a**holes other than a firing. Quite importantly they need to match planes to routes... even if it means buying new Q3/400's and dumping some RJ's. There is no call for jets to ever run ABE-PHL, SCE(or UNV)-PHL, AVP-PHL, ERI-PIT, etc. The website/phone systems are just a disgrace... and it's nice that the last 3 times I had to call a US phone number I got someone who barely spoke discernable English... the customer service as a whole is deplorable. Another step is the regional carriers... AWAC does a good job at UA, if they do the same thing for US that'll be one step in the right direction... better than Mesa and even Chautauqua who I never really had problems with until my last few US flights but I know they've given my girlfriend fits in IND lately. (Add another US DM member, though not quite Elite, who switched to Skyteam carriers btw).

As a whole... US has a long way to go before I'd consider giving them back my business from here in ABE... especially if it means going anywhere near that mess in PHL... and it looks like I'm not the only US DM-elite from across the NE quadrant of the country who agrees either... and it's not like we're going to LCC's as US blames all their problems on.

HPRamper

Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:24 pm

As I understand it, there will be a major cleaning of the house across the entire US network, seniority notwithstanding. There's at least one grade A A-hole at every station, for every airline everywhere and while they are still around, customers will have complaints.

I also understand many of the flights will be realigned to match up with more suitable aircraft, flight frequency etc. There are huge financial changes in the works, operational issues are going to be the major money-saver once the deal goes through. Using jet aircraft on a small-market route is always going to be a waste of money, this (I'm sure) will be addressed.

Meteorologist

Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:52 pm

Does NW still send the plastic baggage tags? I'm just curious because I earned Silver status this year and all I got was the card. I had always wondered about those things. I know with CO, they put that Elite Access thing on my bags, but NW doesn't do anything...unless I get an upgrade in advance, in which case I get the yellow slider that says First Class/WBC on it.

TomFoolery

Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:59 pm

I fly international alot and I have found that US consistantly demonstrates a conplete lack of interest in providing excellent customer service. In flight, it is especially evident- where a passenger needs to compete with the latest People magazine or Cosmo for the FA's attention. A 5 year old A330, by the way, should not be as worn and as un kept as those of US. The web site was horrible, and god forbid you give up and try the phone- they charge you! Why should I need to pay because their website doesnt work? It seems that they nickle and dime their customers all the way- even down to the headphones (this is a trans atlantic flight).
Whats with the seat belt sign? it never turns off. NEVER! And remember it is required by federal law that all pax abide by all lighted signs placards and crew member instructions. What gives? so I give up a little convienience of DCA and go to IAD.
I could go on, but whats the point.
regards,
tf
Paper makes an airplane fly

goodmanr

Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:03 pm

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 31):
As a whole... US has a long way to go before I'd consider giving them back my business

I don't know what it will take for me to enjoy flying US again, I definitely need a way to book tickets on a better website, and phone number that people actually answer. But beyond that, they really need to step it up in just about every aspect, I hope HP brings that on them, but I'm not sure it will, especially in places like PHL, DCA, LGA and BOS.

supa7E7

Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:39 pm

TomFoolery and GoodmanR, I agree with you both in every respect.

HP for some reason saw fit to hire US Airways' VP-Operations to continue in his role (!!!!!!!)

That error notwithstanding, HP will try its hardest to beat US into shape. The winds of change will gradually become quite obvious by year-end, I expect.
"Who's to say spaceships aren't fine art?" - Phil Lesh

ORDagent

Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:04 am

Have your corporate travel department contact the sales rep from the airline you want to jump ship to and they will gladly do it.

Quoting GuyBetsy1 (Reply 4):

I know it sounds snobby for those that do not travel constantly but for constant business travelers that are on busy schedules anything that makes the transit through the airport quicker and easier is a godsend.

goodmanr

Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:27 am

Quoting Supa7E7 (Reply 36):
HP for some reason saw fit to hire US Airways' VP-Operations to continue in his role (!!!!!!!)

That doesn't seem logical, their ops are an absolute mess.

supa7E7

Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:53 am

Doug Parker must really hate his current VP-Ops. A lot. LOL
"Who's to say spaceships aren't fine art?" - Phil Lesh

goodmanr

Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:23 am

Quoting Supa7E7 (Reply 39):
Doug Parker must really hate his current VP-Ops. A lot. LOL

Gotta be something like that, maybe has something to do with needing to know international ops. and cold weather stuff?

schipholjfk

Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:08 am

Does this "Elite" luggage tags mean anything anyway? I have been a NWA Platinum Elite for 5-7 years running now and I have hardly noticed any difference in terms of when my luggage comes out on the belt even though bags are tagged with "Elite" tags. It's all a gimmick. If you ever wait for luggage at JFK T-4 you will see that even having business class tag does not guarantee you early receipt of bags on the belt.
The fun of flying... love it !!!

HPRamper

Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:17 am

Quoting Goodmanr (Reply 40):
Gotta be something like that, maybe has something to do with needing to know international ops. and cold weather stuff?

Cold weather shouldn't be an issue. America West is present in a lot of cold-climate (well, colder than PHX!!) cities...MSP, DTW, YYZ and so on. I think this position was the end result of a compromise. Either way, it's just a VP. Meaning still under someone else's thumb.

As for the US Airways website...it does suck. It looks and works like a high school web design student created it for a class project. The website will also change with the merger, for what it's worth  Wink

goodmanr

Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:33 am

Quoting Schipholjfk (Reply 41):
Does this "Elite" luggage tags mean anything anyway? I have been a NWA Platinum Elite for 5-7 years running now and I have hardly noticed any difference in terms of when my luggage comes out on the belt even though bags are tagged with "Elite" tags. It's all a gimmick. If you ever wait for luggage at JFK T-4 you will see that even having business class tag does not guarantee you early receipt of bags on the belt.

It means I don't have to go through my wallet to use the priority security line...

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 42):
As for the US Airways website...it does suck. It looks and works like a high school web design student created it for a class project. The website will also change with the merger, for what it's worth

I'm not crazy about the HP website, but I'm trusting they will just have a new one, hopefully soon! Try booking a ticket on it, you select the dates and times, and if all works as planned, it shows you the flights but not the prices until the next step. About 50-60% of the time, you get a page cannot be displayed message somewhere in the process. Once you are ticketed, it's a huge pain to make changes to your tickets, the system isn't even linked to the "my reservations" tab, check in isn't linked, and you can't change your seats once the reservation has been ticketed, really one of the worst websites I've ever used. UA and AA don't have great websites, but they are way better. CO and NW have great websites, I wish US would just copy theirs.

Tornado82

Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:02 am

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 32):
There's at least one grade A A-hole at every station, for every airline everywhere and while they are still around, customers will have complaints.

But an abundance with US @ PHL.  Wink

loyal2UA

Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:12 am

Goodmanr

Check Continental.com and then united.com

each home page is set-up in virtually the same manner, no?
How is CO/NW better than AA/UA?

Tornado82

Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:24 am

Loyal2UA: I happen to agree with him as well... CO's website is head and shoulder's above the rest.. you can actually pick your flight times and prices at the same time on a segment by segment basis... unlike the others where you either have to pick the round trip by price, or by schedule. Not to mention that US' crashes out on you every other time you use it.

Meteorologist

Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:01 pm

Not only is CO's website better, but it's service is as well...especially in F class. However, I will say that with US, I like the ability to shift on the fly with your outbound and return segment without having to click back 45 million times with their preview of the price option.

Anyway, I would gladly switch my elite status to CO if I could from NW, however given the amount of flying I seem to do to MI/WI, it wouldn't make much sense. I mean, 6 NW segments in the next 6 days...that's a lot for me. Haha, if you see the "weatherman" in DCA, DTW, FNT, MSP, or TPA, say hi!  Wink

goodmanr

Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:01 pm

Quoting Loyal2UA (Reply 45):
Goodmanr

Check Continental.com and then united.com

each home page is set-up in virtually the same manner, no?
How is CO/NW better than AA/UA?

Try searching for flights on continental.com and searching for flights on united.com, continental is easier. Also, on united.com you can't change your flights unless your have a milage plus login, I'm US, not UA so that annoys me.

I just find the continental and northwest websites to be better. They are easier to search for flights on, they took cues from orbitz and expedia (or just use orbitz). They are just much easier and user friendly in my opinion, and I think most people would agree.

goodmanr

Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:02 pm

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 46):
you can actually pick your flight times and prices at the same time on a segment by segment basis

Exactly! Why is it so hard for airlines to figure out that people use Orbitz and Expedia for a reason!