MAH4546
Topic Author

Cayman Airways May Cancel Houston Service

Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:27 pm

I've been hearing KX was looking at canceling IAH, which will soon be down to twice weekly, and the media in the Cayman islands is confirming the possibility:

http://caymannetnews.com/2005/07/883/brac.shtml

No final decission has been made yet. From Grand Cayman, Cayman Airways flies to the US cities of Boston, Chicago, Fort Lauderdale, Houston, Miami, Orlando, and Tampa. They also fly between Cayman Brac and Miami.
a.

cairo

RE: Cayman Airways May Cancel Houston Service

Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:15 pm

This is a very old route, going on 25 years or so. I think after Miami, IAH was the second US destination for KX. In those days the Caymans weren't the tourist hot spot like today and people thought it was a very obscure flight. But, Grand Cayman gradually caught on as a vacation spot to Houstonians largely because of this flight.

The Cayman government did a great job introducing the Caymans to the US and that early Houston flight was a great first beginning.

I guess the realities of the CO hub and the fact that the islands are now much better known mean service to IAH is less needed. Oh, well, things change...

Cairo

jtamu97

Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:40 pm

This would be very sad if this happens. While Grand Cayman is a nice place, it would not be worth travelling through Miami or another city to get there from Houston especially when you can get to Cozumel, Belize, Honduras, etc a lot easier.

Later,
J
Propeller, we don't need no stinkin propeller

worldxplorer

Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:40 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Thread starter):
I've been hearing KX was looking at canceling IAH

Does this have anything to do with the expansion plans announced previously? Are they still planning all of the new services mentioned before?

Here is a thread on the topic:
http://www.airliners.net/discussions...general_aviation/read.main/1873976

Announced New Destinations
Panama City
La Cieba
San Jose (Costa Rica)
Denver
Montreal
Toronto

WorldXplorer

ssides

Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:07 am

Quoting Jtamu97 (Reply 2):
While Grand Cayman is a nice place, it would not be worth travelling through Miami or another city to get there from Houston especially when you can get to Cozumel, Belize, Honduras, etc a lot easier.

CO has nonstop IAH-GCM service, but only on Saturdays. I'm wondering if they'll increase the service if KX pulls out of the market.
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

MAH4546
Topic Author

Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:12 am

Quoting WorldXplorer (Reply 3):
Does this have anything to do with the expansion plans announced previously? Are they still planning all of the new services mentioned before?

Those were nothing more than an employee thinking outloud.
a.

COfaninBOS

Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:40 am

Well, JM started service to IAH from Montego Bay. After a few years, CO started the same route offering 3-5 times a week depending upon the service. After JM pulled out, CO service went daily.

KX has been on the IAH route for a long time. I flew the turtle back in '83 from IAH. It would be a real shame to lose another flag carrier but I would imagine CO would increase service to counter the loss. CO's once a week service is mostly a reflection of the last hurricane that caused so much damage. CO was running 3-4 times a week prior to that.

Caymanair

Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:08 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 5):
Quoting WorldXplorer (Reply 3):

Those were nothing more than an employee thinking outloud.

nope. those were actual announced expansion plans, but the government has changed recently, so those plans are probably going to be replaced.

thomasphoto60

Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:02 am

Wow, 2 Caribbean carriers in one year (if KX does indeed leave IAH) waving bye-bye to H-Town. With KX's 25+ year history with IAH, I was a little taken-a-back with this news but not too surprised. When CO announced their IAH / GCM earlier this year, I had a feeling that this might put the squeeze on KX's IAH operations.

I too flew KX to GCM back in the days (1980) when they were using a Bac 111-200 from IAH. While I am hoping that this route is saved from the chopping block but not too optimistic at this point.

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

Lt-AWACS

Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:54 pm

I agree that it is sad to see a Flag carrier depart (though not official yet), I think CO will fill in the void with more than x1 flight a week.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,
Capt-AWACS, Watching you from 30,000 feet (for the government)
Io voglio fica ogni giorni da mia bella moglie!