BestWestern
Topic Author

BMI Drop Washington, Cancel St Lucia For 7 Wks

Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:42 pm

BD have dropped IAD from end of the summer schedule:

Washington and St Lucia cancellations 27.07.05

http://www.flybmi.com/trade/en-gb/sectionhome.aspx?p=1904&rid=730

Reluctantly bmi will suspend the Manchester - Washington service from the end of the summer.

bmi will also be refining the Caribbean services over the hurricane season therefore the Manchester - St Lucia service will be suspended for 7 weeks from the end of August and re-start 24 October 2005.

re-accommodations

Manchester - Washington
· re-book your clients onto bmi's earlier Washington services e.g. pre 30 October 2005
· re-book your travellers onto an alternative flight either Chicago or Las Vegas
· all re-bookings must be made in the same class, if this is not available please ensure the lowest available fare is selected within the same cabin
· passengers may apply for a full refund - please do this through your BSP link
· all bookings must be ticketed by 5 August 2005

Manchester - St Lucia
· re-book your clients onto bmi's earlier St Lucia services e.g. pre 31 August 2005
· re-book your travellers onto an alternative flight either Antigua or Barbados
· all re-bookings must be made in the same class, if this is not available please ensure the lowest available fare is selected within the same cabin
· passengers may apply for a full refund - please do this through your BSP link
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

lucianflyboy

RE: BMI Drop Washington, Cancel St Lucia For 7 Wks

Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:46 pm

I wonder what the real reason is!

aireuropeuk733

Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:48 pm

Do BMI have any clue what they are doing strategy-wise or is this because of poor load-factors. Is the MAN-IAD flight operated by the Icelandair 752 or is that something else.

I have never heard of an airline stop flying a route because of hurricanes. I think someone might be telling porkies!!

However, nothing BMI does anymore surprises me.

AE733
It's nice to fly with friends

SQno1

Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:02 am

This is getting silly now!

You couldn't predict that they would do this. I thought that they were doing well on this route, even after the 752 began service. Please let VS take over the company so some sense can be made!

Or if it is the premium pax that went somewhere else, why don't UAL consider a PS service on the same route?

With Reagrds,
Alex.B

[Edited 2005-07-27 17:16:01]

dutchjet

Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:13 am

Moer suprises from BMI - can anyone figure out what they are doing?

Regarding MAN-IAD, I assume that the 757 Wet Lease is over and BMI does not want to renew it, and there are simply no other longhaul aircraft to operate the route. I have said it many times, BMI wants to fly longhaul from London, and they wanted to fly longhaul from London from the moment that the A330s were ordered, and they are not very dedicated or commited to the longhaul services out of MAN.

The St Lucia suspension I guess makes sense, Sept and Oct is a very weak period for travel to the Carib (no one is on vacation and hurricane activity in the caribbean region) and St Lucia took a recent hit and needs a bit of time to clean up, so its in everyone's best interest to susupend the flights for a fw weeks.

Does anyone have any idea as to what longhaul routes BMI will be flying this winter from MAN and LHR?

jdaniel001

Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:21 am

This is hard to believe...BMI just brought in a new station manager and he was shopping for an apartment this week. And the freight and mail that was loaded on the 757 was unbelievable. And yes, it was the Icelandair 757.
We Are UNITED!

cornish

Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:24 am

Quoting Dutchjet (Reply 4):
Regarding MAN-IAD, I assume that the 757 Wet Lease is over and BMI does not want to renew it, and there are simply no other longhaul aircraft to operate the route. I have said it many times, BMI wants to fly longhaul from London, and they wanted to fly longhaul from London from the moment that the A330s were ordered, and they are not very dedicated or commited to the longhaul services out of MAN.

Yes many of us said that the FI 757 was a precursor for dropping the route entirely and now it seems this is indeed the case.

So now BMI loses customers at MAN, where it had the chance to build a solid and loyal base, in order to try and "compete" against BA and VS out of LHR.

Ridiculous. Perhaps now would be a good time for them to sell their lucrative LHR slots to an airline which does know what it is doing.....
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

goodmanr

Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:25 am

Quoting BestWestern (Thread starter):
Reluctantly bmi will suspend the Manchester - Washington service from the end of the summer.

That's sort of surprising. I was in Liverpool on business in April and May, both times I had to fly home from London rather than Manchester because the BMI flight was apparently full.
USAirways - Chairmans Gold

shamrock350

Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:57 am

Very funny, Bmi are on something illegal for sure. What are the India loads like I have not heard anything about that and are there A330s at Heathrow or what.

N77014

Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:01 am

The fact is that without decent feed on either side, and more competitive products flying ex MAN, this was not going to work. The North Atlantic is just getting too crowded; better luck in the more lucrative South Asian market and leave the feed to UA at LHR/ORD.
A new life awaits you in the Off-World Colonies...

Flying Belgian

Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:09 am

A friend of mine worked for bmi in BRU and many travel agants complained at the lack of feeder flights to MAN for overseas flights...

I flew myself bmi to YYZ in C and found it excellent in terms of service.

Any idea of the loads to Mumbai ??

FB.

[Edited 2005-07-27 18:21:50]
Life is great at 41.000 feet...

7LBAC111

Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:43 am

Quoting Goodmanr (Reply 7):
That's sort of surprising.

Not really. As Cornish said above, reducing this route to 757 service was the beginning of the end. BMI are nothing short of a disgrace.

The end of BMI really wouldn't upset me - I hope SRB manages to persuade one SMB to sell up.

7LBAC111
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

m777d

Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:49 am

There has to be more to this than meets the eye or is this just another example of the complete disarray BD are in?

I am a Diamond Club Gold Card holder and this is sad. I have never heard of a company with so little clarity and direction!!

dutchjet

Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:49 am

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Reply 11):

The end of BMI really wouldn't upset me

7LBAC111

Its sad. BMI has become totally unpredictible and their rather bizarre and pax unfriendly business and route decisions will affect the airline's financial performance. BMI could just fly itself out of business.

Any recent info conerning the potential BMI/Virgin merger?

philb

Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:02 am

bmi have dropped IAD from Manchester for the winter before when they leased A330s to SAA. They have commitments ex Manchester and LHR this winter which cannot be covered by the current fleet if the full existing and predicted schedules are to be flown.

The Icelandair 757, which will end in September, was always a short term solution. There isn't much capacity available which would offer the number of seats and standard of service bmi would wish to give its customers between MAN and IAD and the chances of an early purchase of new A330s is negigable.

As for the "hurricane suspension", this is probably to allow for the total re-alignment of the aircraft, crews and to allow for engineering work on the fleet.

7LBAC111

Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:13 am

Quoting Philb (Reply 14):
They have commitments ex Manchester and LHR this winter which cannot be covered by the current fleet

Which surely BMI would have foresaw - yet they still risked immeasurable damage to their image with their MAN customer base by pulling off the route.

As lucrative as LHR may be, going in feet first to the detriment of MAN may be a costly mistake.

7LBAC111

Candid76

Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:14 am

Quoting BestWestern (Thread starter):
Reluctantly bmi will suspend the Manchester - Washington service from the end of the summer

Reluctantly? Yeh right...

Moer suprises from BMI - can anyone figure out what they are doing?

I doubt anyone can, particularly themselves. About as sensible as putting more flights on Aberdeen-Norwich.

Quoting Cornish (Reply 6):
Yes many of us said that the FI 757 was a precursor for dropping the route entirely and now it seems this is indeed the case

Yes - I never doubted that was the case once the LHR routes got going.

Quoting Flying Belgian (Reply 10):
Any idea of the loads to Mumbai ??

I had a row to myself in Premium Economy - it was great! Maybe it's picked up now (take a wetsuit this week).

bmi have dropped IAD from Manchester for the winter before when they leased A330s to SAA

If they reinstate it for next summer, then I'll forgive them.

philb

Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:24 am

7LBAC111,

They probably did forsee it. Their management style IS quirky but with US Airways, Continental, BA and PIA offering seats to airports within a short commuter hop or even a drive of DC, this is possibly the least hurtful for them.

mainMAN

Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:59 am

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Reply 11):
BMI are nothing short of a disgrace.

I'm beginning to see why.

Quoting Candid76 (Reply 16):
If they reinstate it for next summer, then I'll forgive them.

It'd be a lot easier if the current (mis)management team just pissed off and let someone who's got a clue take over. Am I allowed to say that? I just have.

wrighbrothers

Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:21 am

I find it strange that BMI are giving up their longhaul MAN TO IAD route , Perhaps there is too much compotition from other airlines such as BA UA and others who fly to IAD from LHR. I think that to get back in the market , BMI need to do a HUGE u-turn quick before they lose all the loyal/premium passangers who will just chose someone else .
Problem is that it's a tought life being a "full service" airline , but BA have shown that you don't need to be a LCC to make a profit . or mabey BA only make a profit because of their huge number of slot , aircraft etc .

Safe Flying !

P.S First post on A.Net !!
Always stand up for what is right, even if it means standing alone..

flycro

Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:50 am

Why don't Star Alliance just throw this poor excuse for an airline out on its ear?

GAWZU

Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:52 am

bmi have dropped IAD from Manchester for the winter before when they leased A330s to SAA

Fair point, but in this instance bmi haven't lost an A330 on lease again. Surely if they were going to reinstate MAN-IAD next summer, they'd make a (big) point of highlighting this in the press announcement before they lose even more customers?

wrighbrothers

Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:05 am

Flycro , I also think that Star alliance should throw BMI out of their alliance , In MY opinion BMI are just a dead weight as it were , I have nothing against BMI , it's just my personal opinion . However only time will tell. Who knows what STAR are thinking about this , anyone know ?

Safe Flying !!  wave 
Always stand up for what is right, even if it means standing alone..

gayrugbyman

Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:07 am

It's gone, let's accept it. We in MAN know that wehave an uphill struggle competing with the London airports on long haul routes, the irony is that it is our home-grown cariers that let us down most.

Let's hope United maybe come to MAN! We certainly get loyalty at MAN from US crriers!

lucianflyboy

Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:37 am

St Lucia took a recent hit and needs a bit of time to clean up

Very True. Traffic from Europe to the Caribbean is extremely light during that time until Christmas time when the flights are mobbed.

The St Lucia suspension I guess makes sense, Sept and Oct is a very weak period for travel to the Caribbean (no one is on vacation and hurricane activity in the Caribbean region)

St Lucia didn't take a hit from any of the storms that affected the Caribbean in the past few months. It's business as usual for the tourist sector.

dogfighter2111

Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:41 am

Whenever i fly EDI-LHr, i usually always fly bmi because i love the airline. They are all so friendly and i think it is only the Transatlantic routes that are not doing well.

The bmi short-hauls are doign really well.

Thanks
Mike

col

Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:59 am

What a surprise BMI dropping IAD. Guess they F**ked this one up also, take a pat on the back SMB. I believe they thought that the 757 was the best plane for the route, and their load factors would be with everyone else flying USA-MAN in the 90's. Just imagine the shock on the BMI management when they saw their load factor drop from 78-79% in June 2004 to 75% June 2005. They carried nearly 3,000 less passengers, whom opted for something better. Those 3,000 pax were probably the regulars.

The biggest shame is for all the Guys and Girls working hard to keep the ship away from the iceberg, while management is at the helm wondering what that great big white thing is!

Thanks to the crews on the BMI flights I flew, IAD and ORD - great plane (332) and service, sadly US Airways and CO have been getting my business.

Col

AdamTStarFlyer

Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:23 am

I guess alot of people on here kinda of saw this coming!
Why is it that BMI get set into a good thing (such as there Transatlantic flights out of MAN) and then the management decide to rob the customers who have got used to such a quality product of their choice, and run towards something that doesn't seem to make much sense, flying to the middle east out of LHR?!?
Although BMI do offer good inflight products, can they really match the frequency/service of more established carriers on these routes?!?
Why don't they stick to what was working for them ?!?
Does anyone know how the load factor looks on the ORD flights and what the future of those might be?!

Come on BMI think about it, if it aint broke don't fix it!?!? Even if the load factors were only bout 75/79% wasn't the freight doing really well?
Hope they keep ORD and sort something else out as I have always tried to go across the pond with BMI, but there are other star carriers that offer flights at competitive prices.
I hope leaving MAN with their longhaul product doesn't come back to haunt them!

Adam

gayrugbyman

Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:44 am

col

Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:49 am

Adam,

Using CAA pax figures, you can see easily how IAD was developing. Take into account that MAN has not seen a great deal of seat capacity increase to USA, along with the lack of freight capacity, then even a lowly passenger like myself could see that this route was on the up. Then they do a "BMI" Big Mistake Indeed!!. Don't get me wrong, the 757 is a fine aeroplane, but not when you compare it with the 332 we were used to. Hence I am quite sure that the 75% load factor is the low yield holiday traffic, as regulars have gone elsewhere. I cannot believe how incredibly stupid BMI is turning out to be.

Just my thoughts

Col

philb

Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:49 am

Quoting GAWZU (Reply 21):
Fair point, but in this instance bmi haven't lost an A330 on lease again

In effect they have. They have to maintain a daily MAN -ORD and fly to the Caribbean and Vegas.

They are horrendously short of long haul capacity when you add Riyadh (which won't last as either the crews won't go - as per BA or the airline won't get on with the Saudis - as per VS) and Mumbai.

Just one aircraft with a longer than a couple of hours snag and they'll hit the front pages.

ZKOJH

Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:12 am

time BD, got there fu****g act together, let someone sort them out for good, they are really going to loose customers to rivals like BA, and other OneWorld airlines, who wants to fly with an airline that changes more time then the weather does !! they have got to big for the boots, and can't do them up, and now it just needs Lufthansa to sell there stake, and this will make them really big lol,
tho dropping washington, might have something to do with UA and BD not codesharing which could be a sign that 'STAR' are going to boot them out!! and fend for themsleves, very sad day for BD, gone down hill BIG TIME  Sad
Vietnam time..

MAH4546

Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:45 am

bmi could have done a great job making Manchester a good long-haul hub. It has the local traffic and very little compietition. It has always puzzled me that bmi would rather be one of five airlines flying between Heathrow and Mumbai, rather than the only airline flying between Manchester and all of India. I know how lucrative the London-Mumbai market is, but it still makes no sense to me.
a.

UA772IAD

Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:44 am

It doesn't really surprise me, for a few reasons.
1) They dropped from an A330 service to an "on loan" 757
2) IAD is a star alliance heavy airport (Air Canada, ANA, Austrian, Lufthansa, SAS, United, US Air)... so thats covered. Not to mention competing with their partners Lufthansa and United (especially).
3) British Airways operates 2 (or 3) flights out of IAD daily, with a 777 and a 747. United has a morning 767 flight, an early evening 747 flight and a late 777 flight- all of which have very strong loads (those flights are booked). Most of the passenger traffic is not point to point, so those travelers are usually connecting on other flights past London (the gateway to Europe, were you can fly to almost ANYWHERE). Therefore, having a once daily flight from Manchester is only effective if you live in Manchester, if you want to bypass LHR, or if the flight departure is convienent for you.

It's a shame that we're losing them, but someone had to go  Sad

jdaniel001

Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:22 pm

Ok...here are the facts....The A330 was pulled because of the India service. India will drop down on frequency so that Riyadh can be added in the fall. The Icelandair 757 is being retired in the fall. BMI never wanted to fly to IAD in the first place....it was pressured by the Star Alliance with UA's hub being there.
We Are UNITED!

7LBAC111

Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:42 pm

Quoting GayrugbyMAN (Reply 23):
We certainly get loyalty at MAN from US crriers!

And SQ, MH, QR and EK are. Along with many others. And if rumours are to be believed, TG could be popping into MAN shortly too.....

Quoting Dogfighter2111 (Reply 25):
and i think it is only the Transatlantic routes that are not doing well.

The bmi short-hauls are doign really well.

Not sure how true that is. BMI aren't sure what to do with their short haul product. They are removing business class on some routes one minute, and reinstalling them the next.

Quoting Jdaniel001 (Reply 34):
....it was pressured by the Star Alliance with UA's hub being there.

Maybe so - however how happy will Star be with BD effectively abandoning a three-year strong customer base?

7LBAC111

KennyK

RE: BMI Drop Washington, Cancel St Lucia For 7 Was

Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:02 pm

I was hoping that BMI would be the UK airline to develop long haul services from MAN. Virgin and BA only pay lip service and other long haul carriers only fly from one or two destinations into MAN. Guess we shall have to wait a bit longer, without doubt MAN will become more important as a hub for the northern UK, just needs some carrier to get up and establish those routes and then MAN can get what it deserves, good look MAN, wake up BMI.

Lindy

Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:05 pm

BMI never dropped IAD route. Even when they leased A330 to SAA they were still flying to IAD.
I think you confused BMI with SAS which dropped IAD for winter because they were short on aircraft. SAS was refitting A340s with IE, and during that time UAL's 763 was operating route from IAD to Copenhagen.
BMI is flying to IAD without any interruptions since they first started.

Rafal
BWIADCA - Nikon D100

Pieinthesky

Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:07 pm

According to BD the problem with IAD was the 332 was a bit too big for the route pax wise. Then one of the many wise men they seem to have in their management team decided to try it with a 757. Freight has always been profitable for BD on the IAD route along with a decent feed from EDI, GLA and also EK from DXB.

ORD has always been the best of the long haul routes, although LAS also does well. While I am not surprised to see IAD go I would be surprised to see ORD or LAS disappear.

Having said that anything is possible with BD at the moment as the lunatics seem to be running the asylum.

Nimish

Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:42 pm

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 8):
What are the India loads like

BMI has also dropped fares in India significantly, and now added "common rated" fares for the southern cities (like BLR), with the domestic sector flown on IC. 2 months ago (when they started), they quoted Rs 32K + tax BOM-LHR-BOM, without a fare from BLR. Now they've quoted Rs. 29K + tax BLR-BOM-LHR-BOM-BLR with confirmations available on all sectors! At the same time I can't get confirmations on LH for those dates ex BLR, MAA or BOM!!

All in all, it points to their loads being average or poor, though I'm basing this only based on the fares they have on offer. I'm of course quite happy to fly BMI BOM-LHR since I can continue to get miles on Star Alliance.
Latest Trip Report - GoAir BLR-BOM-BLR

philb

Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:03 pm

Lindy, you are totally incorrect. bmi leased two A330s to SAA, leaving one aircraft to operate MAN-ORD. The IAD route was suspended in December 2002 and reinstated in June 2003 on the return of the first A330 from SAA

HT

Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:29 pm

Quoting Flycro (Reply 20):
Why don't Star Alliance just throw this poor excuse for an airline out on its ear?

Please update me: Who owns BMI ? Is the information in my head still correct that both SAS and LH own 20% of BMI´s shares each ? Or am I mixing up something here ?

Quoting Col (Reply 26):
The biggest shame is for all the Guys and Girls working hard to keep the ship away from the iceberg, while management is at the helm wondering what that great big white thing is!

That´s a good one !

-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

7LBAC111

Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:35 pm

Quoting HT (Reply 41):
Quoting Col (Reply 26):

That´s a good one !

There was a thread from STARCREW yesterday showing just how bad moral is at BMI at the mo. Can't seem to locate it - but my advice is to avoid BMI on 01August when their 'new mainline strategy' takes effect.

7LBAC111

BA380

Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:36 pm

IIRC bmi is still part owned by LH and SAS? if so, surely to goodness the management of those 2 must step in soon and put the current team out of its misery. I would have thought LH could rebrand the bmi metal as LH and attempt to make something sensible out of this once-proud company?
cabin crew: doors to automatic and cross-check...

HT

Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:48 pm

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Reply 42):
There was a thread from STARCREW yesterday showing just how bad moral is at BMI at the mo.

this one ? BMI Why Bother Now? (by Stargoldlhr Jul 27 2005 in Civil Aviation)

-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

cloud4000

Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:02 pm

BMI should concentrate on making MAN a fortress hub and LHR a focus city.
Boston, USA

7LBAC111

Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:14 pm

Quoting HT (Reply 44):
Quoting 7LBAC111 (Reply 42):
There was a thread from STARCREW yesterday showing just how bad moral is at BMI at the mo.

this one ? BMI Why Bother Now? (by Stargoldlhr Jul 27 2005 in Civil Aviation)

Thanks HT - no this isn't the one. I mesaged STARCREW about it. I the mods had it deleted because of the content. Made interesting reading.

Mark
7LBAC111

jdaniel001

Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:21 pm

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Reply 35):
Maybe so - however how happy will Star be with BD effectively abandoning a three-year strong customer base?

Well there is a very strong possibility of UA taking over the route.

Quoting Lindy (Reply 37):
BMI never dropped IAD route. Even when they leased A330 to SAA they were still flying to IAD.

Are you sure......I think they did suspend it temporarily.
We Are UNITED!

7LBAC111

Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:37 pm

Quoting Jdaniel001 (Reply 47):
Well there is a very strong possibility of UA taking over the route

Really? If so, wouldn't BD and UA have made some sort of joint announcement? No, I think the route is gone now....

7LBAC111

cornish

Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:42 pm

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Reply 48):
Really? If so, wouldn't BD and UA have made some sort of joint announcement? No, I think the route is gone now....

If UA was to take it over then that really was an incredibly stupid move by BMI to put out that press release. surely they would wait for UA to firm up their plans and then announce the transer of the BD service to UA metal, rather than just tell everyone they were suspending the service. That makes no sense if UA were to take it over.

Now I suspect even BD is not that stupid (however....), so one can assume that UA is surely not taking it over.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work