A5XX
Topic Author

Beechcraft Starship..Why Was It A Failure?

Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:32 am

I remember seeing a Beechcraft Starship airplane, a long time ago, and I was wondering why so few were sold. It was a beautiful aircraft imho. Can anyone tell us what happened.

Thanks.

Yves.
we are the boeing... resistance is futile...You will be assimilated

EMBQA

RE: Beechcraft Starship..Why Was It A Failure?

Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:42 am

Try a search, there are several great threads on this one... I'll work on getting you a link.

http://www.airliners.net/discussions...eneral_aviation/read.main/1996058/

http://www.airliners.net/discussions...general_aviation/read.main/1709342

[Edited 2005-07-28 19:47:56]
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

desertjets

Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:42 am

They were pricey to begin with, early versions could only seat 6 pax, the later 2000 could seat 8. While pretty and innovative in terms of design and materials they were not all that practical. Planes like the Super King Air or any number of light business jets could do all that the Starship could do, and more, for often less.

Because of the relatively small production of these planes, 53, Raytheon decided that it was too costly to continue to support them. So they have bought back most of the airframes and are in the process of scraping them.

However there is an admirable grassroots movement to save a few remaining flyable frames and support them as far into the future as possible.
http://www.bobscherer.com/Pages/Starship.htm
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

Web

Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:45 am

It was a composite aircraft built when little was known about the construction of composite vehicles. It was way over design weight, slower than anticipated, and did not meet range targets. Around $1 billion was spent on the Starship project, but only 50ish were sold. It was a financial disaster for Beech, so the program was scrapped soon after it started in the early 1990s.

fumanchewd

Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:46 am

Beautiful aircraft, however the certification process took to long for most customers tastes. It also had a max cruise speed of 335 knots, only 20 knots faster than a King Air 350. The Starship also only had a range of 1600 n.m comapared to over 1800 n.m. for a King Air 350. It's a pretty plane, but why pay twice as much for a plane with lesser capabilities?

[Edited 2005-07-28 19:49:39]
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

A5XX
Topic Author

Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:09 am

Thanks!

Anyway, it's sad to see them being scrapped like that.  Sad

How much were these aircraft selling for, at the time?

Yves.
we are the boeing... resistance is futile...You will be assimilated

desertjets

Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:11 am

Quoting A5XX (Reply 5):
How much were these aircraft selling for, at the time?

For some reason I remember that Starship 2000 starting at around US$2 million. I might be able to find a firmer # though.

Actually quite a bit more. According to Bob Scherer's website they were around US$5 million new in the early 90s. Which was still a lot more than a King Air 200 or 350, and close to what similar light bizjets such as the Lear 31A would have cost.

http://www.bobscherer.com/Pages/Starship%20FAQ.htm

[Edited 2005-07-28 21:16:11]
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

EMBQA

Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:23 am

Anyway, it's sad to see them being scrapped like that..

Agreed..!! I was happy to see that the only Starship I have ever seen is still with us, and now even famous. S/N# 051 was owned by the Tyco Corp and base at PSM where I would see it on a daily basis. It was later sold to a private operator and was later made famous as the 'Spaceship One' chase plane. It is also featured in a program on Discovery Channel.

[Edited 2005-07-28 21:24:22]
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

aeroweanie

Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:55 am

Quoting A5XX (Reply 5):
Anyway, it's sad to see them being scrapped like that.

An interesting point: composite aircraft can't be scrapped like aluminum aircraft. You have a choice: bury them in a landfill or incinerate them at high temperature. The Starbarges are being incinerated.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos