quickmover

Will Airtran Ever Go Back To Knoxville

Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:27 am

I was just checking the timetables and Delta has 7 dailys in this market (a couple of rjs, the rest are md80s or 737s). TYS somewhat reminds me of IND. Delta dominated market, short hop to ATL, several flights. Looks like a good opportunity. Any thoughts?

DAYflyer

RE: Will Airtran Ever Go Back To Knoxville

Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:12 am

Quoting Quickmover (Thread starter):
Looks like a good opportunity. Any thoughts?

Apparently FL does not think so.
One Nation Under God

srbmod

Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:15 am

Back when FL was flying TYS-ATL, they used a mix of the 732s and DC-9s. There were times when the flight from ATL-TYS may have two dozen people onboard and the return leg may have 10 passengers on it, and this would be normal. The route did fairly decent during the football season, but other than some typical summer spikes, the route faired poorly. The only reason why TYS stayed in the network as long as it did was because of the mail revenue (Similar story with BDL and why it got dropped.) AirTran's operational reliability at the time may have played a role in it as well, because TYS flights would always seem to be the one to be delayed or cancelled so that the a/c scheduled for the flight could be used on another flight. Delta has seemed to have cultivated a very loyal following out of TYS, and I think that it would be hard for FL to compete with them if they were to return to TYS. Even though TYS was winning the online poll AirTran had on their website last year, I think the economics of the route may have prevented the return.

7e72004

Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:39 am

What are the chances of AirTran serving SEA anytime soon? They have the jets  Smile
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

quickmover

Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:42 am

I didn't realize TYS had such poor results. There are too many places where the planes can be full to waste a jet for a dozen people. SEA is a great idea, so would PHX, PDX, and SAN.

7e72004

Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:44 am

I think SEA is a great idea also...i have never flown FL and would love to use them on an SEA-ATL-IND route  Smile
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

upsmd11

Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:35 am

I have wondered if they would ever come back to SDF as well. DL has kept the SDF-ATL fares low so they would be scared I guess but there's definitely room for competition.

John

tatfsn

Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:15 am

I am personally a big fan of AirTran.

They broke my heart when they pulled out of GSO.  sigh  I know that that
cessation of service was discussed in this forum sometime back.

What's especially perplexing is that on nearly every one of the numerous occasions that I flew them to that city almost from when they started serving it (with the DC-9s and B732s, then the B717s, and then the CRJs) the planes were full or nearly full.

Other than Delta, they were the only carrier in the ATL-GSO market. Given that they're now getting so many additional aircraft, I would hope that they'll eventually go back. I'm at a loss that they pulled out of a market that, from what I saw, had amply demonstrated a high demand for their service  confused  (until they left, I had gotten past even considering flying anyone else there).