SHUPirate1
Topic Author

FedEx's Schedule At Memphis...anybody Aware Of It?

Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:53 am

Unfortunately, FedEx's website and MEM's website are both equally unhelpful, I figured a.net would have a clue...does anybody know what FedEx's schedule from Memphis looks like?
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

gigneil

RE: FedEx's Schedule At Memphis...anybody Aware Of It?

Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:56 am

I've always wanted to see it, myself.

N

quickmover

Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:59 am

Does all of their jets arrive within a hour or two or are there some early arriving fedx flights?

HPRamper

Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:05 am

There are so many flights in and out of MEM by FedEx, it would not even be possible for it to take only an hour or two.

Take a look at Flytecomm.com , in the departure airport box scroll down to Memphis and enter. Then go down the list until you see all the Federal Express entries. You'll get a good idea of their daily schedule.

quickmover

Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:11 am

I'm just amazed at the logistics of the whole operation. I know that here in DEN, there are usually 2-4 jets on the ground here during the day. I guess once they have enough freight to fill up one, they send it on it's way and so on. Does the same thing happen at Memphis?

Amazing stuff.

B744F

Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:14 am

Quoting Quickmover (Reply 4):
Does the same thing happen at Memphis?

No, because Memphis is their main hub. From what little I know, there is a morning rush out and an evening rush in.

CV580Freak

Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:23 am

MEM is the main US HUB, all inbound flights are scheduled to arrive with a sufficient window to offload, sort, reload and get the aircraft back to their origin points to allow an am next day delivery.

Sub HUB's are also located on the West and East coasts and Mid and Southern US. No point in routing a JFK/PIT or SFO/LAX consignment via MEM, etc.
One day you are the pigeon, the next the statue ...

EMBQA

Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:25 am

Flights come and go all day, but the majority of in-bounds arrive from 2100-0000 and departures are from 0400-0600.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

rjpieces

Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:53 am

Does anyone know what their busiest routes are?
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

N328KF

Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:04 am

What sort of capacity does FX have to a place like ORD? How many flights and of what type?
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

checkraiser

Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:09 am

Is today Memphis day?
N1120A is a camel-fucking terrorist.

EMBQA

Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:38 am

What sort of capacity does FX have to a place like ORD? How many flights and of what type?

According to the flight tracker I have... Two fights.

An MD-11 from EWR, and a 727 from Applton, WI

I thought I read or saw somewhere that there is a service airport just west of the city that FDX uses to avoid traffic congestion.

[Edited 2005-08-01 23:46:07]
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

N328KF

Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:46 am

You mean all of ORD only gets an MD-11 and 727? That doesn't sound like much.
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

N766UA

Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:47 am

I have that video of the 25 hours of FedEx ops, shows all the arriving/departing FE airplanes in the space of 25 hours sped up. Really cool. Anyone have it online? I have nowhere to host it.
This Website Censors Me

TrappedinMKG

RE: FedEx's Schedule At Memphis...anybody Aware Of

Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:47 am

FedEx's arrival schedule shows up on FlyteComm. Go to Advanced Users and put in MEM as the airport...

Edited to add: with few exceptions, they've got a plane landing about every three minutes from 10:00PM-1:00AM. I'm willing to bet that part of the reason their schedule isn't widely sought after is because it's difficult/impossible to photograph at those hours (in addition to them being a non-passenger airline...)

[Edited 2005-08-02 00:55:26]

JohnJ

Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:09 pm

Just as an aside, I checked out MEM on the new Google Earth tool, and counted 88 FedEx jets on the ramp - during daylight hours, no less!

masseybrown

Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:25 pm

A FedEx rep once told me that only about half of their "schedule" is scheduled and the rest is demand-based with fleet utilization varying, often radically, every day of the week.

They don't have a schedule in the same sense that a common-carrier passenger line does.

DCrawley

RE: FedEx's Schedule At Memphis...anybody Aware Of

Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:01 pm

Quoting N766UA (Reply 13):

I have that video of the 25 hours of FedEx ops, shows all the arriving/departing FE airplanes in the space of 25 hours sped up. Really cool. Anyone have it online? I have nowhere to host it.

25 Hours of FedEx ops

Enjoy  Wink !

-d
"Weather at our destination is 50 degrees with some broken clouds, but they'll try to have them fixed before we arrive."

FedEx

Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:47 pm

We run 2 complete sorts a day every day except Saturday nights and Sundays. A sort is when all the flights come in, unload, the packages are sorted (hence the name) loaded back on different aircraft, and everybody leaves. Because time is of the highest priority, we have a minimum amount of aircraft of each type that we keep ready to go as "hot spares" during each sort for the unlikely event we have to transload due to Maint. We started out the day sort pretty much for the mail contract, however as business has grown over the last 4 years, the day sort is as big as the night sort. I think you will see us on a 7 day a week operation in the near future. As far as the amount of gates we have, that damn near changes with each month, but I think we can handle well over 100 aircraft at a time. I can give you an exact number of gates tomorrow if you like. We have recently started on the A380 hangar construction and I am amazed at how big the facility is going to be.

CV580Freak

Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:12 pm

They used to run tours of the operation and ramp, does FedEx still operates these tours ?
One day you are the pigeon, the next the statue ...

EXMEMWIDGET

Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:32 pm

FedEx had a day sort long before the mail contract. The main reason for it's existance is to sort the 2 day(P2) and 3 day(E3) freight.

usnseallt82

Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:17 am

I actually went to MEM for the sole purpose of watching their operations back when I used to work for FedEx, and it was unbelievable! You're standing there looking at a fairly desolate Memphis sky, since most Northwest operations end around 10-11pm. Then, on advice from the local managers, if you position yourself between the two parallel runways, at around 11:30pm the sky will just light up with landing lights from every direction! It really is one of the most amazing sights I've seen.

So, if you're looking to see it all unfold, the best time to go would be between the hours of 11:30pm-4:30am. This will give you the vast majority of their arrivals and then the turnaround departures. But, as said before, FedEx operates so many aircraft that you can go to MEM at anytime and catch several of them rolling around somewhere. By far one of my favorite airports to visit!

Also, go to http://www.flightarrivals.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Flights and play with the arrivals and departures buttons. Select City/Airport on the search and just put in MEM. This will give you every flight scheduled within a 2-hour forward block and 30-minutes prior. If you do this around the busy time for FedEx, you'll see pages of these flights listed along with the groundspeed and altitude of those already in flight.

Hope this helps! Have fun.  Big grin
Crye me a river

fdxgirl

Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:35 am

I took a tour of the mothership a couple years ago, and it was awesome, everything was awesome. the guide took us up into the fedex atc tower and we could see all the inbound jets on final stacked up for miles and miles. and then to see the miles and miles of sort belt weaving all over those huge buildings, its just amazing. makes our operations here in mke look tiny.

greenguy01

Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:40 am

Does anyone know how they schedule their aircraft?

For instance do the have future schedules out there or do they create ad-hoc schedules on a daily basis.

Also what software do they use?? Airflite from Sabre?
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

usnseallt82

Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:52 am

I'm pretty sure they have a standard schedule that is done several weeks ahead of time, changing only when peak shipping seasons(Christmas, New Years, etc.) require more routes. However, they do have standby aircraft waiting if shipment loads are unusually high in some instances at certain locations. Other than that, I don't know. It would be interesting to watch them plan in out though.

Cheers!
Crye me a river

sampa737

Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:23 am

DCrawley...thanks for the vid! That was awesome. (From a former Memphis boy)

m404

Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:48 am

Just a guess but FX probably uses their own software as they have a huge department where that is one of the specialties. At night it looks like the proverbial string of pearls and much of the time they arrive from the east and the south as we have pretty calm winds most nights. "S" patterns to slow break up the monotony and the parade of -11s, -10, 727, 300, 310, can be broken up with an F-27 or AR42 (72?) and Cessna all in purple and then a contracted turbo or piston shows up. I live a mile south of the east approach and can lie in the pool and tell the bird by the sounds most nights. The real little ones are mosquitoes, no lights. Sometimes, if their is a break, on a still night you can hear the reversers deploy 8 miles away.

I'd imagine that from their vantage point it looks the same from the air with all the 18 wheelers coming into UPS, FX, and the dozens of other long haul companies that fill this city. Warehouses and planepacking - the backbone of Memphis.

Now drive around and see all the different FedEx "campus" facilities they have dotting the landscape. And on every street corner someone leans on a wall wearing a FX ramp jacket. Fred has bought outerware for most of the city.

[Edited 2005-08-02 21:50:56]
Less sarcasm and more thought equal better understanding

FedEx

Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:55 am

Wow, I was way off. We have 185 gates here in MEM.

Crini

Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:16 am

Not only does FedEx land at MEM, but I've heard they also land some planes at Millington's Airport, which is the old Naval Station Memphis airfield, just north of Memphis.

From what I understand the airport stays open until around 2am for FedEx and they get some of the little prop planes and occasionally bigger stuff. Now I don't know if this is a regular thing or just a safety valve.

Anyone know what they do with it? Are there any sort facilities there or do they just move everything onto a truck and drive it down to the hub?

fedexexpress

Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:36 am

MEM is a awesome place to see. I work at the IND hub for Fedex. I jump seat to MEM alot. The busiest time for both IND and MEM is around 2100 to 0100. Then it hits hard again at 0330- 0530 to take the planes to destionations all over the globe to deliver the purple promise " The World On Time" for the am deliveries. IND gets about 85 flights inbound on the "night Shift" which is what i work. During the day they only get about 25 inbound flights at IND. MEM is busier but IND is second for Fedex. The same times are the same for MEM we both have the same goal. That is to deliver "The World On Time. Go to flightarrivals.com and click on the airport and airline and it will tell you all the flights coming to that airport. Have a great day !! Eric
"Its not what your country can do for you its what you can do for your country" JFK

aviationwiz

Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:49 am

MEM is the main sorting center for FredEx. Most packages and letters will go via MEM. For FredEx, MEM has major sorting facilities, major aviation services, you name it, they have it. You have some flights going in and out during the day. Packages are picked up, brought to the local facility, sorted, trucked to the airport, sorted again, and sorted onto the correct outgoing flight. It leaves around 9PM'ish. The real traffic at MEM comes late at night around 11PM to 1AM, it's all offloaded, sorted, and loaded onto the planes going out. Then it all leaves around 4-5AM'ish and arrives at the destination airport early in the morning, it's quickly offloaded, sorted, brought to the destination facility, and then sorted into delivery trucks. Check this video of 25 hours of FredEx: http://www.aviationwiz.com/FDX_25HR_OPS.wmv
Proudly from the Home of the Red Tail.

CosmicCruiser

Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:35 am

Quoting MasseyBrown (Reply 16):
A FedEx rep once told me that only about half of their "schedule" is scheduled and the rest is demand-based with fleet utilization varying, often radically, every day of the week.

I'm not sure what that really means but the line haul schedule is as it says ..scheduled for every plane type. There is the charter dept. that schedules one time only and repetitive charter flights and then there are the adhoc flights that occur often to cover add ons for freight overages equip. swaps and mech. problems. The schedule makes up most of the flights and even some repetitive charters are added to the monthly lines and flown as a scheduled flight. Sometimes flights do change like when we were flying Tsunami relief and most "sched." trips with long layovers in Europe and Asia had the layover shortened and the "charter" was inserted disrupting alot of flights during that period. .

Quoting Crini (Reply 28):
Not only does FedEx land at MEM, but I've heard they also land some planes at Millington's Airport, which is the old Naval Station Memphis airfield, just north of Memphis.

NQA (Navy Memphis) is used only as an alternate during VFR wx. There are no scheduled flights there.

Quoting Quickmover (Reply 4):
I guess once they have enough freight to fill up one, they send it on it's way and so on. Does the same thing happen at Memphis?

There are no flights that I have ever seen or flown that go when they are full or wait till they're full to go. The schedule goes as built with the occasional delay for an inbound plane or truck as long as it doesn't affect the sort. Flights are tracked by the minute for taxi out/ enroute/ and taxi in delays.

Quoting N328KF (Reply 9):

I can't say how many or what type but we have 2 ramps (north and south) with a total of about 14 gates.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos