flybynight

TV Movie Vs Airplane Movie

Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:48 pm

As we all know, the movies we seen on air travel is edited "for our protection".
Is it the same standard that is used for television? I recently saw (again) Sideways on a UA777. While this is one my favorite recent movie (brilliant, by the way), it wasn't as much fun in the G-rated version.
On non-US airlines, I've noticed the sensoring isn't as absurd as on US airlines (in other words, they treat adults as adults).
The one exception that I can remember was a UA762 flight between SFO and JFk about 2 years ago. I was in flrst class and I had the older style movie cassette. The movie was uncut, which along with a bottle of wine made for one of my all-time favorite flights.
Thank you to that flight attendent, by the way.
Heia Norge!

AsstChiefMark

RE: TV Movie Vs Airplane Movie

Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:01 pm

I hate the way the airlines hack up movies just to protect the virgin eyes and ears of people who have been shut away 24/7 with their EWTN, 700 Club, and Kirk Cameron.

Mark

[Edited 2005-08-02 06:15:18]
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

HT

Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:16 pm

Quoting Flybynight (Thread starter):
I was in flrst class and I had the older style movie cassette. The movie was uncut,

I assume that as it was handed to you personally (as a cassette), the F/A could check that this ???-rated movie was not watched by kids ...

I tend to neglect any edited movies on-board ! Apart form the edited contents, those screens are too tiny for me and I miss the original aspect ratio !
During the night I usually try to sleep (but very very seldom actually can do so), while during the day I tend to read, chat, watch the scenery*) below ...
-HT

EDIT: *) Crossing Greenland westbound is my favourite scenery !

[Edited 2005-08-02 11:19:22]
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

7e72004

Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:33 am

Does anyone think they should make a "reunion" for a third Airplane! movie?? I think it would be hilarious  Smile
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

geoffm

Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:27 am

Well, one reason could be the fact that you have a PG audience - an audience who cannot be segregated from what a particular person might want to watch. Remember standing at the back of a plane in semi-darkness and being able to see 100 flickering PTVs at once?

Geoff M.

7e72004

Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:31 am

"when Kramer hears about this, the shit's gonna hit the fan..."  laughing 

that movie never gets old

N801NW

Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:13 am

Is Robert Stack still alive? Lloyd Bridges is obviously no longer talking phone calls. OTOH, Robert Hays and Julie Hagerty still regularly communicate and she says people still recognize her from the movie.

7e72004

Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:14 am

I think Robert Stack passed away...but Leslie Nielsen is still around  Big grin

geedo

Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:56 am

Another "Airplane!" movie?
They should leave it alone. The second one had a few funny gags in it, but pales by comparison to the first. The Zucker brothers, the original producers, were asked to do the second one and they said "No way!". They knew it couldn't be better than the first and they were right.
I've got Titanic hopes and they aren't sinking

MGA

Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:37 am

my favorite recent movie (brilliant, by the way),

Come on dude, you have to watch more movies...

On non-US airlines, I've noticed the sensoring isn't as absurd as on US airlines (in other words, they treat adults as adults).

On TA they always sensor the movies... one of my last flights with them they showed Beverly Hills Cop 2 or 1 (yes, i know their IFE sucks). Well they cut out the titi bar scene... I love listening to that song and wathcing the girls dancing... Same situation on CM. as mentioned before, PG audience... u never know who is going to be on the flight...

MGA
Que viva el guaro, el dinero y los aviones!!!

LJ

Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:29 pm

Quoting HT (Reply 2):
Apart form the edited contents, those screens are too tiny for me and I miss the original aspect ratio !

I agree, and the audio isn't DTS or 5.1......