BG777300ER
Topic Author

Places For Spotting At Dulles Airport (IAD)?

Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:39 am

Does anyone know of any good places to spot at Dulles International Airport? It seems impossible to get anywhere near the runways. If anyone has something, provide directions please.

Thanks for your input!!
Koi mi sra v gashtite?

sidewinder

RE: Places For Spotting At Dulles Airport (IAD)?

Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:45 am

This place is a great place to spot
http://www.nasm.si.edu/museum/udvarhazy/
It is sandwitched in between 2 active runways.....I stood in the parking lot and took pictures. Awesome place!
"I don't think I will ever get over Macho Grande"

727LOVER

Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:27 am

Quoting Sidewinder (Reply 1):
This place is a great place to spot

Quoting Sidewinder (Reply 1):
It is sandwitched in between 2 active runways.....I stood in the parking lot and took pictures. Awesome place!

I'll 2nd that. Great place to spot/photograph. Do go inside the museum, you won't be dissappointed.
Love Trumps Hate

BG777300ER
Topic Author

Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:10 am

Yes, I have been to the musem and it is a good place. Is that the only place though? Are there any places parallel to the two runways?
Koi mi sra v gashtite?

gocaps16

Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:29 am

There are a few spots but very limited to at IAD. The museum offers great view of side on shots in the afternoon for arrivals on runway 1R. Parking will cost you $12 to get in. It's worth it if you are there all afternoon. 1R is the main runway for all the heavies to land on unless you have a crosswind, they'll otherwise land on runway 30.

The parking garage offers a good view of the airport and best viewed in the morning, I haven't been there yet but parking isnt cheap what I hear. and another area is near Signature Flight Support but alot of photographers have recently been chased out of that area since it's really in the open of airport traffic exiting the terminal, so if you stay there for a long time, chances are that someone will report you to the authorities. You can get some cool takeoff shots of the heavies when using runway 1R. Enjoy!

Kevin

FutureFO

Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:00 am

On top of Daily Garage 2 is awesome. Especially if they are using 19L/1R. Otherwise unless you have a ticket there is not much else that is walkable from the terminal.

Sean from MCO and MKE
I Don't know where I am anymore