VH-BZF
Topic Author

Ansett - Set To Fly The B777.

Mon May 01, 2000 10:27 pm

BIG News reported today in the Australian Financial Review!

Whilst Qantas is negotiating with Boeing & Airbus on a new fleet of 10 widebodied aircraft, It looks as though Ansett may have beaten them to the punch!

"Ansett is likely to deploy within a year a fleet of B777's from Singapore Airlines for expansion onto Asian routes and peak-hour flights between Melbourne & Sydney.
SQ which now owns 25% of AN through its quarter share of Air NZ, has said it will aggressively expand both airlines with new planes & routes"

As a side note, the AFR also stated that Airbus are offering Qantas a huge discount to be a launch customer for the A3XX along with signed up customers - Emirates, Cathay, Singapore Airlines, ANA and freight/parcel operators FedEX & Atlas. They say a cost of $US280 million per aircraft would be realistic, but if QF orders now they could save as much as $US56 million off each aircraft!

We will wait & see!

Cheers.
Ansett Australia - (was) One of the worlds great airlines!

dnalor

RE: Ansett - Set To Fly The B777.

Mon May 01, 2000 10:56 pm

Hmmm, things might get interesting over here soon, I hope I can score a job at the airport.

The777Man

Tue May 02, 2000 4:44 am

This sounds very promising, but I'd like to hear something official from Ansett or Singapore Airlines. Hopefully this will come true. That would be very good for Ansett Australia. The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

VH-BZF
Topic Author

Tue May 02, 2000 8:40 am

Both SQ & NZ have stated publicly that they want the Ansett brand flying more international services & infact Jim McCrea CEO of both NZ & now AN, has stated that AN would be a better choice on the Syd-Lax route than possibly NZ, because of AN's strong (local) brand.

B777's flying peak services between Melbourne & Sydney would also be very interesting! Ansett for a long time has not wanted to provoke QF into a capacity war (because of AN distinct lack of widebody capacity!) on trunk routes, however now with strong owners (SQ), Ansett can afford to take that step!

Cheers  
Ansett Australia - (was) One of the worlds great airlines!

Tue May 02, 2000 8:58 am

Odd, I would have thought AN would take the SQ A340's---maybe these will go to Virgin instead?

CX747

Tue May 02, 2000 9:05 am

SIA isn't set to receive another 777-200ER until Feb 01 so where are these birds going to come from? Their 747-400 fleet will grow though from 2 744s to 6 744s.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

Trvlr

Tue May 02, 2000 10:27 am

God, it looks as if Airbus is only building this plane to stick its tongue out at Boeing. I think Boeing should counter with an offer for a 747-500!

Aaron G.

CX747

Tue May 02, 2000 4:55 pm

SIA will be willing to get rid of 9V-SQA ASAP.SQA gives them lots of troubles and SIA also has a lot of surplus 777's,so SIA might be able to lease some 777's out.

n949wp

To GUNDU...

Tue May 02, 2000 5:19 pm

What's wrong with 9V-SQA?

'949

stuarts8

Tue May 02, 2000 5:21 pm

This will also affect what Air New Zealand intends to do in my view. They do not appear to be going for the 777 at the moment but that could change. Air New Zealand has always been Boeing and personally I cant see them going for Airbus. But Singapore may have other ideas for both Ansett and Air New Zealand so we shall have to wait and see.

Skystar

Thu May 04, 2000 3:51 pm

All I can say is that AN getting 777s is possible, but take a pinch of salt with everything you hear - people have been speculating for years.

To have 777s on MEL-SYD services would represent a sizeable jump in capacity - too much IMHO. There is no forseeable growth nor demand at the moment to facilitate such a move. MEL-SYD, while a high capacity route, is ruled by frequency. 777s represent a very large jump over 762 capacity.

It may be nice to have 777s, but remember that they may not make economic sense on MEL-SYD. The aircraft at the moment, which makes most sense for AN Domestic routes (widebody), ironically is the 767, 200 or 300.

Airbus doesn't have a suitable alternative (332 is too heavy and too big - not optimal for short hop routes. plus it brings operational problems at YSSY; gates)

Cheers,

Justin

B727-200

Thu May 04, 2000 4:16 pm

Oh, the things you read!!!

The Ansett brand is much stronger in a much bigger market than that operated by NZ. Survey have even shown that most people would prefer to fly AN over QF to LAX if they had the opportunity.

As for the B777's?????

Flights between SYD-MEL would cost a packet with B777's. Even the B767-300 is quite expensive compared to narrowbody aircraft. Also, there are not many opportunities in Asia at the moment for expansion either (landing rights and lack of growth).

I think this article may be a piece of very creative writing.

B727-200.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos