usflyer msp

New Low In Passenger Attire

Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:46 am

Today I had a passenger try to check-in for a flight without a shirt or shoes on. I didn't even consult our company policy, I just told him that he has to fly with shirt and shoes on for health reasons, like the supermarket. Am I wrong in thinking that this passenger was an idiot? Has anyone else ever experienced this?

FYI, he had nice abs but his feet were kind of smelly.

USFlyer MSP

lnglive1011yyz

RE: New Low In Passenger Attire

Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:57 am

Quoting USFlyer MSP (Thread starter):
Today I had a passenger try to check-in for a flight without a shirt or shoes on. I didn't even consult our company policy, I just told him that he has to fly with shirt and shoes on for health reasons, like the supermarket. Am I wrong in thinking that this passenger was an idiot? Has anyone else ever experienced this?

All I can say to this is wow.

Wow.

Wow.

HAHA

What a terrible thing to even remotely have to explain to someone eh? Someone grew up without a mommy or daddy to teach them right, either that or they really are just trash.

(the passenger, that is)

1011yyz
Pack your bags, we're going on a sympathy trip!

lowrider

Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:00 am

No, I think you are right on in your response. His assumption that it is acceptable to show up for a flight in this manner is just another symptom of the larger problems in our society. But that particular soapbox is probably for another forum...
Proud OOTSK member

dispatcher

Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:25 am

At least security would have an easy time searching him, maybe we should all dress like that...  Smile

TGBoi

Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:37 am

Was in an indentical situation not too long ago and did they same thing as you did. So you are not alone.

FYI, he had nice abs

It's the airport!!!!! Not the gym!!!!!!! Btw, to flawn his abs, he could have worn a shirt with a see-through / plastic sheet at the abs... eyepopping 

but his feet were kind of smelly

Yuck.... having breakfast while reading this thread  vomit 

AEROFAN

Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:48 am

isn't that the whole -i paid for a ticket so i can do what i want and u better do what i say mentality that seems to be continually espoused here? how dare u not board him. he was a paying pax with a nice bod after all.

srbmod

Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:54 am

Insert usual Southwest class of passenger insult here.....

Some people just don't have a clue about things. Nearly four years after 9/11 and people are still carrying banned items with them to the airport in the carryons. Then get angry when the TSA screener makes them surrender the item.

As for the passenger attire, most people tend to dress for a flight as comfortably as possible, but the next step down from this guy is someone trying to get on wearing a thong. I'm not saying airlines should force a dress code for all passengers (although I feel that a business/first class passenger shouldn't look like a slob regard of how much they paid for the seat or how many F.F. miles they used to get that seat.), but perhaps a "Tips for travel" guide should be part of every ticket that is sold, as some folks just seem as though they pack their brain in their checked bags.

Dougloid

Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:06 pm

It's emblematic of our culture....look at all the Thinkpad ads that tell us it's an on demand world (as if that explained anything)....first thing you know some arsehole starts believing it and worse acting out and getting angry when the rest of us try and disabuse him of the notion....

Put the headphones on him and make him listen to "You Can't Always Get What You Want" for the whole flight and put him in the aisle next to the 300 pound hairy dude in the thong.......ecccccccccccccccch there went my lunch.
God what a great diversion.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

hz747300

Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:08 pm

Pathetic. What a worthless piece of human debris...

Seriously, I get annoyed when someone wears a tank top to board a plane unless it is a hot chick showing lots of cleavage usually headed towards a sunny destination. And it is not just WN, I have seen it on other airlines--my favorite is black garbage bag for a carryon.

PS Did he not a shirt and/or shoes in his luggage that he could just easily remove and toss on?

PPS There was a story a while back on Page Six in the New York Post about Val Kilmer flying to New York to start a European vacation and he did not have any luggage. But at this dinner party he was talking to a man who had keys to Barney's or something, so they let him rack up $8 000 in clothes and luggage costs after closing. Oh to be rich...
Keep on truckin'...

Venezuela747

Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:18 pm

Maybe he thought he was flying for nakedair or nudeair...whatever that carter airline is that flew naked people to CUN....even them required people to have clothes on until normal altitude was reached or somethin like that
ROLL TIDE!!!

Cruiser

Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:30 pm

his feet were kind of smelly

An even better decision then.

I guess that air travel is becoming much less of an event today. I guess that is the result when it becomes accessible for just about anyone.

Cruiser
Leahy on Per Seat Costs: "Have you seen the B-2 fly-by at almost US$1bn a copy? It has only 2 seats!"

semsem

Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:40 pm

My mother told me that in the 1940's / 50s people used to put on their best clothes for a flight. It was a very special event. Good he was not naked. Obviously an exhibitionist who wanted to show off his abs. You did the right thing.

ckfred

Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:43 pm

You know, it still pays to dress nicely, whether for travel or otherwise. If I wear a coat and tie to fly, I always get treated nicely.

swisskloten

Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:53 pm

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 6):
Some people just don't have a clue about things. Nearly four years after 9/11 and people are still carrying banned items with them to the airport in the carryons. Then get angry when the TSA screener makes them surrender the item.

The people at security are still finding firearms and knives in baggage every so often. I just don't get it. Maybe I never will!

afterburner

Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:11 pm

Quoting Semsem (Reply 12):
My mother told me that in the 1940's / 50s people used to put on their best clothes for a flight. It was a very special event

Even in the late 70's/early 80's when I was a little kid, my mom dressed me and my brother and sister the best clothes we had whenever we traveled on an airplane, even when it was only a 25 minutes flight from my hometown to the old Jakarta Kemayoran Airport.

tsaord

Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:34 pm

that was extreme. but i think you did the right thing.

but something to that extent is crazed. but i feel its nothing wrong with people dressing comfortably for a flight no matter what class they are sitting in. i think flying today, is not so much of an "event" because its becoming more and more the means of travel. before when it first came around, only the elite or people who could afford it flew on planes
there are icons, then there are legends, then there is rick flair

747400F

Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:25 pm

I just told him that he has to fly with shirt and shoes on for health reasons,

I can see how you got away with the demand for shoes for health reasons (All kinds of nastyness in the carpet around toilets on aircrafts) but how did you get away with demanding a shirt for health reasons??? - surely he would question that. Could it be back by any kind of airline regulations that were available to passengers.
All humans have the right to marry the one they love

MidnightMike

Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:25 pm

Quoting Semsem (Reply 12):
My mother told me that in the 1940's / 50s people used to put on their best clothes for a flight. It was a very special event. Good he was not naked. Obviously an exhibitionist who wanted to show off his abs. You did the right thing.

Yeah, well when your Mom used to fly, they also served meals with metal forks & knives, real glasses, & real dishes, my have times changed...
NO URLS in signature

aussiestu

Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:19 pm

Sorry folks but bare torsos in the cabin.......not likely. You would not walk in to restaurants like this so why do you think you can travel on public transport like that. And please dont start with the I paid for my tix I can do what I want replies as there are still some standards in air travel. Can only imagine, what scars he would have after trying to escape from AF flight in Toronto without a shirt????

jafa39

Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:25 pm

Not unusual to see people flying in shorts and sandals in NZ, even T shirts! and no-one makes any assumptions as to whether they are "trash" or not but wearing a shirt of some form should be compulsory, yeeuch! If you ever need to give a health reason for it you could say that no-one wants to sit in a seat that has been absorbing his bodily discharges for 3 hours.....euwww! Glad I've eaten!!
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

HAWK21M

Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:34 pm

Out here While Travelling Most Pax used to wear their Best look.But recently with LCCs creeping up & fares dropping,things are turning more casual.It would be quite some time when We reach this stage though.Afterall this is India.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

melpax

Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:39 pm

Just found this on the Virgin Blue site.........

http://www.virginblue.com.au/helpInf...rt/index.php?section=Check+In+Info
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

panamandy

Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:55 pm

i experienced the other extreme !

it was sas business sleeper, i had jeans and a white dress shirt on (everything new and clean but casual) and a lady in fur with approx. 2kilos of diamonds on, smelling like a living chanel no.5 bottle, refused to sit next to me !!

sas had to reseat the whole cabin, until she had a double seat for herself! otherwise she would have disembarked!

747400F

Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:04 pm

Quoting Panamandy (Reply 23):
sas had to reseat the whole cabin, until she had a double seat for herself! otherwise she would have disembarked!

WTF they should have offloaded that b****! why should she have a double seat to herself?

kc135topboom

Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:10 pm

"So, whatever your choice of attire, the minimum requirements for travelling adults and children who are capable of walking are shoes (including thongs) when boarding and disembarking the aircraft,"

So, on Virgin Blue, you can go bear foot on the airplane?

No, thank you.

This is from DL's web site:
"Wear loose, comfortable clothing and shoes for your flight."

Unless you are flying on NudeAir, there should be a minimum dress standard.

GBan

Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:20 pm

On a flight the same respect for others should be expected as in any other public place. In a theatre, train, plane or restaurant a shirt will be expected (unless it is a beach restaurant) in all cultures I have visited. I think USFlyer was perfectly right not to accept this guy.

But I must also admit that I do take off my shoes on long flights for my comfort (beeing sure that no one will smell anything) - as well as when entering a friends house in Thailand (for additional reasons) or my own house. After a night flight to Phuket (but not to Bangkok) you might see me leave the plane in shorts and sandals; you won't see me boarding the plane dressed like that.

I am aware that for some people this can already be too much, for me it seems just acceptable. I try to be sensible for others feelings and to respect them and act accordingly if someone has a problem with anything I do - it would not cost me any emotional effort to put my shoes on if anyone asked.

Note to KC135TopBoom: I put my shoes on when going to the toilet  Wink

[Edited 2005-08-05 11:25:10]

Andreas

Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:24 pm

Ah yes nice abs  Wink Big grin

Ok, on those feet I fully agree, but here's a little story of mine...happened 2 days ago on a flight DXB-FRA, LH A343, Business Class, row 10: Boarded that aircraft, got to my seat, and there was this guy on the other side of the aisle...who had already taken off his shoes and socks...and THAT was smelly, too.
I know it's only VfB but I like it!

GBan

Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:28 pm

Quoting Andreas (Reply 27):
Ok, on those feet I fully agree, but here's a little story of mine...happened 2 days ago on a flight DXB-FRA, LH A343, Business Class, row 10: Boarded that aircraft, got to my seat, and there was this guy on the other side of the aisle...who had already taken off his shoes and socks...and THAT was smelly, too.

Since I sometimes take off my shoes as well (see post above): Would it have disturbed you if he didn't smell?

Andreas

Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:37 pm

Quoting GBan (Reply 28):
Would it have disturbed you if he didn't smell?

Not really since I love to walk on bare feet, too...but I do admit that I find the sight of bare male feet in a surrounding that doesn't immediately come to mind when talking about bare feet, well...rather off-putting, especially when it's older men with feet that show signs of...shall we say, not being part of the person's personal hygiene procedure  Wink

BHXFAOTIPYYC

Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:43 pm

My old roommate had a great sign on his wall- "shirt and shoes must worn, bra and panties optional."

Sorry for that. Here at FAO it is amazing to see the difference in dress between flights to England / Germany / Holland etc. The Germans and Dutch still seem to make an effort, but the English like to be "comfortable" bordering on scruffy. And flights to the north of England LBA MAN LPL etc are even worse. People still seem to dress better for BA TP etc.
Breakfast in BHX, lunch in FAO, dinner in TIP, baggage in YYC.

GBan

Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:49 pm

Andreas, totally agree.

Just comes to my mind that on the long flights I was thinking of I was given slippers by the airline. Should be OK to take off shoes and use them...

Andreas

Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:56 pm

Quoting GBan (Reply 31):
Should be OK to take off shoes and use them...

Exactly...and it's much healthier, too, in terms of blood pressure etc.

On Wednesday night, fortunately, it was only 6 hours, watched one movie ("Be cool" *ggg*), then slept through the rest of the night.

btw: Boarding without shirt...what would the threadopener have done if confronted with a sexy lady....?  Wink Big grin

PMN

Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:01 pm

Quoting HZ747300 (Reply 8):
Pathetic. What a worthless piece of human debris...

Has to be said, I think the way you describe this person would be more suited to murderers, rapists, paedophiles e.t.c. than a guy not wearing a shirt and shoes trying to board a plane. I can't quite get my head around your way of thinking on this one.

Paul
Edith in his bed, a plane in the rain is humming, the wires in the walls are humming some song - some mysterious song

HT

Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:01 pm

Quoting GBan (Reply 31):
Just comes to my mind that on the long flights I was thinking of I was given slippers by the airline. Should be OK to take off shoes and use them...

On long-haul flights I always take off my shoes (while still wearing socks) and I slip into either an additional pair of socks provided or one that I brought onboard myself.

Re "Bare flesh onbaord":
Wasn´t it Hooters Air not too long ago (and soon after its start), that
a) encouraged pax to undress as soon as the a/c was in cruise flight
b) ran a competition that included wanna-be pax to show up at the check-in desk lightly dressed ? (IIRC it was "dressed for the beach") ?
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

AMSSpotter

Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:46 pm

Quoting PMN (Reply 33):
Has to be said, I think the way you describe this person would be more suited to murderers, rapists, paedophiles e.t.c. than a guy not wearing a shirt and shoes trying to board a plane.

Describing that particular person as "debris" might do a little too much injustice to him (I admit I laughed my head off when I read it, though) but, actually, I don't think HZ747300 was too far off base. I'm really, really irritated by rude manners and/or sloppy behaviour. I hate it when I see people wearing singlets in a restaurant (even if it's only a Burgerplace). I think it's something you just don't do...

nycflyer

Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:59 pm

Quoting PMN (Reply 33):
Has to be said, I think the way you describe this person would be more suited to murderers, rapists, paedophiles e.t.c. than a guy not wearing a shirt and shoes trying to board a plane. I can't quite get my head around your way of thinking on this one.

Paul

okay, maybe he's not the scum of the earth, but perhaps words like "slob," "trash," "complete idiot," and "pig" are more appropriate.

ruger11

Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:21 pm

I'm suprised no one has mentioned this yet...

When I fly I wear thick leather shoes or boots with thick soles, NOTHING nylon or man made materials, a cotton long sleeve dress shirt and a leather coat. And no gel in my hair. It's for safety in case there is a fire.... I don't want bare feet getting burnt, I don't want my nylon windbreaker melting onto my bare arms causing 3rd degree burns... etc.

Plus as a Marine we have a dress code even in civilian attire. Shirt should be collar, tucked in nicely, with belt, slacks or nice shorts, etc.

I just chewed out one of our new joins for wearing board shorts on base today.

NWASE

Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:57 pm

IMHO, anyone who removes their shoes on an aircraft shows a total disregard for his/her fellow passengers and should be flogged in public. Don't even get me started on those that put their feet (with or without shoes) on the bulkhead.

Like Ruger11, I also wear natural fibers and sturdy lace up shoes, I have seen people walk away from a horrific crash and minimize their injuries with the proper clothing.

Cheers

747400F

Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:09 pm

Quoting Ruger11 (Reply 37):
Plus as a Marine we have a dress code even in civilian attire.

WHat even when on in private??

Quoting NWASE (Reply 38):
IMHO, anyone who removes their shoes on an aircraft shows a total disregard for his/her fellow passengers and should be flogged in public

well, you can have your opinion, personally i could disagree more. Why on earth would wear shos on say a 11 hour Japan-Europe trip, I dont wear shoes indoors at home, why should I when I SIT DOWN on a plane? (walking around the plane is an other matter)

Leon8828

Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:12 pm

Here in Louisiana, near the coast, some stores have signs which read:

"No shoes, No shirt - - No problem"

In a coastal community, it is commonplace to have "topless" (and many times toothless) men strewn about our communities. However in an airport or on an aircraft, it is unacceptable.

I think the major concern should be safety. When I pilot an aircraft or travel on an aircraft, I usually wear jeans and a cotton shirt, or other fabric which is more fire retardant than these synthetic fabrics out there these days. Can you imagine a cabin fire and subsequent evacuation and some person has to walk through the flames with one of those plastic work out suits? The ER staff will be digging that stuff out of his/her skin with a scalpel. Imagine the shirtless guy, going through an emergency procedure, squeezing through twisted metal, fire, rolling on the ground, etc.

Just my thoughts.

B4REAL

Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:17 pm

How did you know his feet were smelly?
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds

contrails

Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:28 pm

As a FF I've seen this before, along with people onboard who haven't bathed in a while; people with obnoxious smelling food they've brought onboard, people who don't restrain their kids, etc. It's just indicative of the society we live in today, imo. People do what they want to do, good taste or common sense notwithstanding.

I've said this a before: I wish ticket/gate agents could have supply of maps showing how to get to the nearest bus station. There are a lot of pax who truly need to be told to take the bus.
Flying Colors Forever!

Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:31 pm

Quoting 747400F (Reply 17):
can see how you got away with the demand for shoes for health reasons (All kinds of nastyness in the carpet around toilets on aircrafts)

Ha! Like that stops them from taking their shoes off and walking around the cabin...in and out of the lavs...in the galleys...all barefoot. Hell, I can't tell you how many times I've seen parents let their babies crawl around the floor of a place in nothing but a diaper.

If you've walked around a cabin barefoot, especially in the lavs, you shouldn't be allowed out in public.

I have no problem taking your shoes off at your seat on a long flight, but for God's sake slip 'em back on when you have to get up. There's no excuse not to.

Quoting 747400F (Reply 17):
but how did you get away with demanding a shirt for health reasons??? - surely he would question that. Could it be back by any kind of airline regulations that were available to passengers.

Simple. Airlines can deny boarding for any reason that want. Come on, think about it. Do you know how many germs are in your armpits alone?

Oh yes, also, it's called knowing the difference between right and wrong. A lot of people don't. Those who do need to inform the others sometimes.

B

HT

Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:39 pm

Serious:
Anybody who´s dressing for a flight with taking an onboard-fire into account should not forget that it would be best to wear heavy cotton jeans (full length of course). This is in order to not to burn the underside of your legs in case you have to jump onto the evacuation slide.

Personal note:
If some people like to dress-up for emergency situations: It´s okay with me! But I don´t do that. I´ve flown on 439 sectors sofar w/o any emergency evacuation or on-board fire and will continue to dress smartly for the flight & the reason of travel (incl. taking the weather into account).

-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

GBan

Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:41 pm

Quoting NWASE (Reply 38):
IMHO, anyone who removes their shoes on an aircraft shows a total disregard for his/her fellow passengers and should be flogged in public.

Right in the aircraft or would I get some time to get mentally prepared?  Wink

halls120

Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:45 pm

Today I had a passenger try to check-in for a flight without a shirt or shoes on. I didn't even consult our company policy, I just told him that he has to fly with shirt and shoes on for health reasons, like the supermarket. Am I wrong in thinking that this passenger was an idiot?

No. He's obviously an idiot.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

JMV

Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:59 pm

How timely? This was published in the Detroit News just the other day. It is something I've experienced myself.

Straighten Up and Fly Right, Dressing Up Can Bring First-Class Perks on Some Airlines
Google begins where my brain ends! ©

LH455

Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:50 pm

I absolutely do NOT condone the behavior of the shirtless and shoeless man, but just a reminder that it goes both ways. I flew BA EWR-LHR a few years back and a very nicely dressed man sat next to me, took off his shoes (and that smelled horrible) and then proceeded to fall asleep on my shoulder (I had to repeatedly shove him off) and get a nosebleed all over my shirt. This was in their special upgraded econ section -- not that it should make a difference. Guess if I had flown Business one of those shades would've prevented this episode from happening.

Nonetheless, I wonder if USFlyer MSP's passenger was on his first flight? Maybe he watches Airline on A&E for guidance on how to behave...

skywatch

Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:55 pm

Quoting Leon8828 (Reply 40):
In a coastal community, it is commonplace to have "topless" (and many times toothless) men strewn about our communities. However in an airport or on an aircraft, it is unacceptable.

We have the exact same thing on the Texas coast. Who knows how old they are? The sun has wrinkled and leathered them up so bad it's mpossible to tell..

Back on topic: Flying should be reserved for people who have shirts and shoes on during boarding. Removing shoes is acceptable during flight(In some cultures, shoes are always removed at the door), but when it comes to the shirt, go no further! I agree in the fact that you would not let him board.

---Skywatch
------Forever Watchin' The Sky------

ruger11

Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:57 pm

Quoting 747400F (Reply 39):
WHat even when on in private??

yes, we're expected not to look like a bunch of slobs when off duty. With our high and tight haircuts, and the vast # of tatoos many Marines have, you are easy to recognize, and no one wants to be associated with a group that looks terrible, slovenly, unclean, unkempt, etc. Like they say, "one bad apple..."