Pe@rson
Topic Author

BD's Performance From LHR To INV, ABZ, GLA, Etc.

Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:27 pm

While BD seems to have an irregular strategy, how are its flights performing from LHR to INV, ABZ, GLA, EDI, MAN, AMS, BRU and CDG?
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Orion737

RE: BD's Performance From LHR To INV, ABZ, GLA, Etc.

Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:25 am

Ask in a few weeks once a few more regular business customers of theirs have experienced the new 'chaos class' on the CDG, BRU, AMS and GLA routes.

BestWestern

Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:28 am

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 1):
'chaos class'

Having flown BD and EasyJet this week, the latter is much better.
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

BDKLEZ

Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:52 am

Quoting Pe@rson (Thread starter):
While BD seems to have an irregular strategy

I should say so, many fingers in many different pies. But it would be interesting to find out how their core bread and butter is doing.
Trespassers will be shot; survivors will be shot again!

Pe@rson
Topic Author

Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:55 am

Ooops: I forgot LBA, BHD, DUB and MME.  Wink
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Orion737

Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:56 am

I should think the travellers used to flying up to Glasgow or over to Paris and having a civilised cup of tea and bisuit or two are rather miffed at having found the correct change for their tea, the hostess only gets as far back as row 5.

by738

Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:57 am

Think GLA is one of their most profitable routes. Always has been.

Pe@rson
Topic Author

Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:58 am

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 5):
having a civilised cup of tea and bisuit or two

I wonder whether the people (or the businesses who are paying) you refer to would pay more for such things or whether they'd prefer a lower price.

BDKLEZ

Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:17 am

Cannot speak for now, but up until end '01 LHR-AMS was the most profitable route on the network with 8 A321's every day, 7 on Sat & Sun and from about 14:00 on Thursday until 19:00 every single departure ex AMS was in max business class configuration of 138C/29Y. Sadly, 9/11 and the tragic events thereof, and the reverberation of the unwillingness to travel by air for a while after, took care of those loads. This obviously hasn't helped BD in their last few years of, dare I say "crisis", or is that a bit dramatic?
Trespassers will be shot; survivors will be shot again!

BestWestern

Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:33 am

Pearson - BD are losing money hand over fist at heathrow at present - hence these knee jerk reactions there to survive.

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 7):
I wonder whether the people (or the businesses who are paying) you refer to would pay more for such things or whether they'd prefer a lower price.

The business community want reliability, frequency and punctuality.

Quoting BDKLEZ (Reply 8):
"crisis",

BD failed to keep an eye on their key revenue centre and area of strategic importance - Heathrow, and instead focused on ancillary services.

Because of this they are now in deep trouble. They now have four marginal businesses, Heathrow, Long Haul, Regional and Baby - all struggling, directionless and confused. As every one of these business play second or third fiddle to someone better at doing that, the company is virtually worthless from a strategic value - with one exception heathrow slots

IMHO BD have failed at heathrow - They should sell heathrow slots, use the proceeds to buy back the LH /SK shareholdings and invest in aircraft. They should also close long haul and focus on Baby operations from the regions. Regional should be sold to BA / BE / Eastern / CityJet / Aer Arann / loganair. You then have a debt free, focused, smaller orginisation that can grow.
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

7LBAC111

Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:37 am

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 7):

It's still a little early to say. Thing is BMI kept this change very quiet from it's corporates. Indeed, my corporate route deals were only amended to remove the C discounts yesterda - 3 days after the change took effect.

BMI have also NOT made any inventory changes to ticketed PNRs. Normally the carrier removes C class, the HX the segment in the GDS and rebook as Y. Not BMI - not a mention thus far.

Maybe JGPH1A could confirm that from 1A's perspective.

I would imagine that for the majority, they will accept the change. However there are some high spending corporations who like their frills. These are the customers BMI needed to keep - and the customers BMI are most likely to lose.

7LBAC111
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

BestWestern

Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:40 am

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Reply 10):
BMI have also NOT made any inventory changes to ticketed PNRs. Normally the carrier removes C class, the HX the segment in the GDS and rebook as Y. Not BMI - not a mention thus far.

Resulting in the passenger paying additional front of curtain taxation also!

Capital146

Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:08 am

Speaking purely on loads and not yields, the bmi LHR-MAN flights I have been on over the past few months have all been completely full, and that's been on a mix of 319/320/321's.

As for LBA, only been on that a couple of times this year, each time the early morning departure on either a Saturday or Sunday to LHR with the last flight back the same day. Usually been a 320, but got a F100 on one flight just before it was retired!  Smile Loads on my flights have usually been around 75% both ways, though remember these are lower demand weekend flights and that the early morning dep from LBA usually runs at £115.00 before tax one-way and I suspect bmi don't panic too much!
Like a fine wine, one gets better with age.